[Today at 06:34:41 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[Today at 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Davante Gardner - still waiting  (Read 12260 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Davante Gardner - still waiting
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2010, 08:28:00 AM »
He went to a very small school in the Cities, got a 36 on his ACT, and is the all time leading scorer in Minnesota history.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2010, 08:38:21 AM »
Whenever I see a kid like Kevin Noreen who has a great ACT and probably a good GPA to boot, I wonder whether he can receive some sort of academic scholarship and still play on the basketball team (as a walk on).  Is that allowed without eating one of the basketball schollies?  For example, what does Frozena have in terms of financial aid?

MUCrew

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2010, 08:40:49 AM »
I'm on this board as much as the next guy but this one is completely over my head.  Who or what is Noreen?  What did I miss?

I'm definitely out of the loop with who Noreen is also.  I've read the knock on him is that his numbers reflect play against some non-competitive teams  (scoring 4000 points is a pretty huge accomplishment IMO).  Despite that, he was voted Metro POY and joins a pretty good group of former POYs.  Other than that I don't know too much about him.

Found this local video of him (CBS in MN)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 08:49:49 AM by MUCrew »

icheights

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2010, 08:58:35 AM »
Rivals actually has Noreen listed at 6'10" and 217 lbs. with the skill set of a Kevin Coble/John Shurna of Northwestern.  He was Mr. Basketball in Minnesotta and looks like a stud...Much rather have him than Gardner especially if Mbao and Otule stay.  Buzz would load the cupboard if he was able to recruit this kid.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2010, 09:09:54 AM »
Scoring points still requires you to put the ball in the hoop, does it not?

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2010, 09:37:19 AM »
This Noreen is new to me too.  Sounds intriguing.  I continue to say the same as others I dont want to see anyone leave.  I simply love the potential of Willimas, Mbao, and otule going forward.  they will all only be sophomores and i love what they could become in another year or two.  i think willimas frame could simply explode in another year or two and i think he has a nice skill set and good athleticism to become a true PF. 

That said if those three stay your are assuredly not going to give up on DJO, Buycks especially as a hometown senior, butler or Fulce. 

therefore, I think we do need a big and the best oprtion maybe to take a kid like Newbill as probably the player of least immediate need and stick him at a place like ST. John's where he can play a high level schedule , start, and not use up a years eleigibility. 

Did not originally know about this Noreen guy, it is amazing to me Al Skinners abiltiy recruit the livng he11 out of the twin cities.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2010, 12:00:33 PM »
Rivals actually has Noreen listed at 6'10" and 217 lbs. with the skill set of a Kevin Coble/John Shurna of Northwestern.  He was Mr. Basketball in Minnesotta and looks like a stud...Much rather have him than Gardner especially if Mbao and Otule stay.  Buzz would load the cupboard if he was able to recruit this kid.

If the cat is half the player either Coble or Shurna is, I take take him sight unseen. Don't give a rat's ass if his high school competition was against Our Lady of Perprtual Motion.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2010, 12:05:35 PM »
This Noreen is new to me too.  Sounds intriguing.  I continue to say the same as others I dont want to see anyone leave.  I simply love the potential of Willimas, Mbao, and otule going forward.  they will all only be sophomores and i love what they could become in another year or two.  i think willimas frame could simply explode in another year or two and i think he has a nice skill set and good athleticism to become a true PF. 

That said if those three stay your are assuredly not going to give up on DJO, Buycks especially as a hometown senior, butler or Fulce. 

Who is going to pay Newbill's tuition? I also disagree with your presumption that he does not have an impact next year.

therefore, I think we do need a big and the best oprtion maybe to take a kid like Newbill as probably the player of least immediate need and stick him at a place like ST. John's where he can play a high level schedule , start, and not use up a years eleigibility. 

Did not originally know about this Noreen guy, it is amazing to me Al Skinners abiltiy recruit the livng he11 out of the twin cities.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2010, 01:53:21 PM »

If the cat is half the player either Coble or Shurna is, I take take him sight unseen. Don't give a rat's ass if his high school competition was against Our Lady of Perprtual Motion.

what he said.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2010, 03:40:22 PM »
This Noreen is new to me too.  Sounds intriguing.  I continue to say the same as others I dont want to see anyone leave.  I simply love the potential of Willimas, Mbao, and otule going forward.  they will all only be sophomores and i love what they could become in another year or two.  i think willimas frame could simply explode in another year or two and i think he has a nice skill set and good athleticism to become a true PF.  

I am holding out hope that we add one more and nobody leaves.  In other words, someone VOLUNTARILY gives up their schollie for one year.  They become a walk-on for one season with an opportunity to earn back the schollie with significant progress.  I don't pretend to know the financial situations of any of the players, but would it be the worst thing in the world to ask a player to pay/take out a loan for one year of school?  I am constantly putting away money for my kids schooling and my parents paid for 4 yrs at MU for me.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 03:47:15 PM by 94Warrior »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2010, 04:02:03 PM »
Dude,
D1 recruited athletes DO NOT pay their own way regardless of the family's financial situation. Do you think Jeremiah Rivers told GU or IU, "save the bread, my old man's loaded"? Or did Charles Schwab pay for his son to quarterback NU? Is Al Toon footin' the bill for his kid to catch balls at UW? I could go on and on, get real.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Boone

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2010, 04:02:57 PM »
Sorry, but that's pure fantasy.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2010, 04:05:37 PM »
I am holding out hope that we add one more and nobody leaves.  In other words, someone VOLUNTARILY gives up their schollie for one year.  They become a walk-on for one season with an opportunity to earn back the schollie with significant progress.  I don't pretend to know the financial situations of any of the players, but would it be the worst thing in the world to ask a player to pay/take out a loan for one year of school?  I am constantly putting away money for my kids schooling and my parents paid for 4 yrs at MU for me.

What world do you live in?

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2010, 04:12:33 PM »
Dude,
D1 recruited athletes DO NOT pay their own way regardless of the family's financial situation. Do you think Jeremiah Rivers told GU or IU, "save the bread, my old man's loaded"? Or did Charles Schwab pay for his son to quarterback NU? Is Al Toon footin' the bill for his kid to catch balls at UW? I could go on and on, get real.

Jeffery Jordan at U of I.  I believe he was a walk-on his first year, then they gave him a schollie. One commercial by Michael could pay for a four year education.

State Street Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2010, 04:20:21 PM »

Jeffery Jordan at U of I.  I believe he was a walk-on his first year, then they gave him a schollie. One commercial by Michael could pay for a four year education.

And unless I am missing someone I doubt we have the son of arguably the most famous athlete in history on the team.  Also that is name recognition for the school and I'm guessing Illinois' tuition is less then MU.

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2010, 04:24:42 PM »
That could totally happen!  How old are Lebron's kids?
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2010, 05:14:42 PM »
36 ACT? Give him all the bennies of a scholastic scholarship and a red shirt year--go get him!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2010, 07:42:40 PM »
Gardner tipped the scales north of 320...how you say? Lloyd Moore?

That was some time ago.  Most reliable reports are that he played his senior year at 280.  He still has weight to lose though.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2010, 07:54:53 PM »
I see four options:
1.  Gardner is waiting on MU (conditional offer),
2.  Gardner is waiting on USF (conditional offer),
3.  Gardner hasn't completely made up his mind,
4.  Gardner is waiting for an unnamed school to offer.

If option #1 is the true reason, I suspect Buzz has told him to hold off until after the Dieng visit.  At this juncture in time, I think Buzz knows he has a 2010 scholarship to offer.

From what I've been hearing, this is the current situation.

1. Gardner has eligibility issues regarding test scores.  He is eagerly awaiting his latest score now.
2. Gardner has been unconditionally offered by USF. 
3. Gardner was ready to just accept the USF offer.
4. Gardner's family or coaches or both are holding him back until his test scores come back, so that he can choose from more options, one of which is very likely to be MU, if his test score qualifies him.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2010, 08:07:04 PM »
From what I've been hearing, this is the current situation.

1. Gardner has eligibility issues regarding test scores.  He is eagerly awaiting his latest score now.
2. Gardner has been unconditionally offered by USF. 
3. Gardner was ready to just accept the USF offer.
4. Gardner's family or coaches or both are holding him back until his test scores come back, so that he can choose from more options, one of which is very likely to be MU, if his test score qualifies him.

The USF unconditional offer doesn't mean much without the qualifying test score since the BE can't take partial qualifiers.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2010, 08:24:13 PM »
Whenever I see a kid like Kevin Noreen who has a great ACT and probably a good GPA to boot, I wonder whether he can receive some sort of academic scholarship and still play on the basketball team (as a walk on).  Is that allowed without eating one of the basketball schollies?  For example, what does Frozena have in terms of financial aid?

It is too late to apply for an academic scholarship.  February 15th was the cutoff.
http://www.marquette.edu/student/ugrad/scholarships.shtml

He could receive grants--but only to cover anything over the expected family contribution.

The NCAA (rightly so) makes it difficult to stockpile players using "academic" scholarships.