* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[Today at 09:00:07 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:11:08 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo - Plan A  (Read 2631 times)

1SE

• All American
Wojo - Plan A
« on: March 22, 2019, 10:24:01 AM »
Stewing over it more I think the downfall is Wojo that is a "Plan A" coach. When plan "A" works (namely Markus (or a few times Sam) is out of their mind, we looked good). When plan "A" doesn't work we didn't have a plan "B", much less a plan "C". And that's not even within game, even between games, during the slide, he couldn't come up with trying anything other than more of the same.

At the start of the year we were all debating how we would divide up the minutes with such a talented roster. In the end we basically played a 7ish man rotation. The amount of glue on Cain and Heldt's butts amazed me - these were guys that were major contributors on a team playing in a much tougher BE that missed the NCAA by one DePaul loss. Sure they aren't first team all americans, but they could have provided some value contributions in some packages.

In other words, with our roster this year, Wojo should have had 2, if not 3 COMPLETELY different looks he could roll out if he needed to change things up. That lack of any other look on O or D is what doomed us to that slide. I mean, are we allergic to full court pressure? How can a high-major team not have a press or two they can roll out when they're down 12 in a NCAA opening round game with 17:00 to go in the 2nd half against a team with a 305 lb center? Why did't we have one or two zone looks? Why didn't we have a "pound the paint" look on O?

I mean did our starting 5 even change at all during the last 7 games?

Let's not mistake Markus' other-worldly individual play for 2.5 months for some kind of progression on Wojo's behalf. To pick up on the analogy that has been in use here I was bamboozled by the "fools gold" of Plan A working when Markus was going insane and when a few others stepped up in the games where he was ineffective/injured. I sincerely thought Wojo had a few tricks up his sleeve. But this end of season slide shows that he didn't. And that's entirely consistent with what we've seen for the past 5 years.

He won't get fired this year. But if we do no better next year he needs to go.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

#UnleashSean

• All American
Re: Wojo - Plan A
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 10:26:12 AM »
You mean our offense of Howard dribbles off a pick and shoots from the 3 or dribbles in step backs and shoots from the 3. Or doesn't take the pick and drives into the lane 1 on 3.

You mean that offensive gameplan didnt work for the entire year?

1SE

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 10:37:58 AM »
You mean our offense of Howard dribbles off a pick and shoots from the 3 or dribbles in step backs and shoots from the 3. Or doesn't take the pick and drives into the lane 1 on 3.

You mean that offensive gameplan didnt work for the entire year?

"Ok Skip"

"Hehe, I told him to do that"
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 12:21:32 PM »
That’s been Wojo’s MO since he’s been here. When we’re shooting the ball well he looks good. Even our improved defense this year looked much worse in games where we weren’t shooting the ball well. I’m honestly still looking for evidence that he’s a good coach. I haven’t seen it and his inability to adjust to how teams adjusted to us down the stretch did nothing to inspire confidence
No Finish Line

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 12:22:44 PM »
So, he's Crean.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 12:27:52 PM »
So, he's Crean.
Pretty good comp honestly. Does that make Stan Buzz?
No Finish Line

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 12:32:42 PM »
Pretty good comp honestly. Does that make Stan Buzz?

Could be. In the past I would have said that we will never know unless Wojo gets hired away...but after watching SIUE fire a coach to promote his assistant I guess it does sometimes happen.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 12:43:00 PM »
Could be. In the past I would have said that we will never know unless Wojo gets hired away...but after watching SIUE fire a coach to promote his assistant I guess it does sometimes happen.

What has Stan Johnson done to deserve the Marquette job if it opens?
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2019, 12:44:43 PM »
What has Stan Johnson done to deserve the Marquette job if it opens?

Recruited well. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2019, 01:36:22 PM »

Recruited well.

He's gone after 3 top prospects the last 3 years and didn't get any of them.  Tillman, Graves and Mannion.  He's done a very good job getting some quality players.  Very good doesn't get you a promotion in my book.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2019, 01:39:28 PM »
He's gone after 3 top prospects the last 3 years and didn't get any of them.  Tillman, Graves and Mannion.  He's done a very good job getting some quality players.  Very good doesn't get you a promotion in my book.

I have never lobbied for him to replace Wojo.   We agree in principle.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2019, 01:40:22 PM »
The question wasn’t whether we should promote Stan. The question was could Stan be Wojo’s Buzz. What had Buzz done when he was promoted? Spent a few years coaching a UNO program with poor results?
No Finish Line

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2019, 01:48:04 PM »
I agree with some of the premise that Wojo didn't show a flexibility in game plan vs Murray and he needs to get better.

Don't agree with the tenor of this thread..."who should replace Wojo?"

I'll tell you who...Wojo will replace Wojo...as a better coach next year.

feedback