collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Fine, upstanding, young, white Christian men  (Read 12855 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Fine, upstanding, young, white Christian men
« Reply #75 on: September 26, 2017, 10:07:26 PM »
I think only wackos bring up a person's gender, sexual orientation, religion (or lack thereof) or color when they commit a violent crime that has nothing to do with any of the above. Are Christian individuals (or any individuals) who rape somebody hypocrites as well as pigs? Sure, but how is that newsworthy? How is religion (or lack thereof) relevant?

However, when muslims behead innocent women and children for the crime of not being muslims, go on an indiscriminate shooting spree while proclaiming "Allah Akbar", etc., etc., etc., their religion is brought up - because it's their motive for their actions. And I think that's a fair, even obvious, distinction.

I agree that people who bring up a person's gender, sexual orientation, religion (or lack thereof) or color when a crime is committed are misguided (I assume that's what you mean by wackos). Unfortunately, there are a lot of wackos in the world. Because every time I hear about a crime involving a person of color I see it featured prominently and people making arguments about how this is proof we need a border wall or a travel ban. But whenever the person is white or christian, you can't bring race or religion into it.

I agree that when a Muslim kills someone for the crime of not being a muslim it should be mentioned. I would argue that there are times when white people kill people for the crime of being a different race, or men kill or abuse women for the crime of being women. Sometimes it gets brought up but it is often met with "this isn't about race or gender."]
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #76 on: September 26, 2017, 10:16:49 PM »
Because every time I hear about a crime involving a person of color I see it featured prominently and people making arguments about how this is proof we need a border wall or a travel ban. But whenever the person is white or christian, you can't bring race or religion into it.

Every time a person of color commits a crime his ethnicity is featured prominently and used to promote a border wall or travel ban? That's just patently false.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2017, 10:17:28 PM »
A bunch of moronic bubba football players viciously hazed one of their own - somehow 82 turns a disgusting anecdote into a diatribe about race, religion and privilege, even managing to do little Chiconian name dropping (he's had long conversations with Dusty Baker, doncha know - and no greater authority than the Dustman himself has assured Mike that in 'Merica it's ALWAYS about race) to drive home a point that didn't have much to do with the story.

Somehow you construed Mike's post as a simple declaration that everybody's sh#t stinks, black, white, christian and muslim. Nobody that I know has ever denied this but I don't know what it had to do with Mike's intentionally incendiary post. This reminded me of when rocket would miss the real point of a Chico diatribe but would reconfigure it (in a kinder, gentler way) to be able to agree with something he thought maybe Chico meant. For this, Mike nicknamed him Boo Boo.

IMHO the OP was misleading and overtly political (like many of Chico's posts that 82 would criticize). IMHO your defense of 82's post was reminiscent of the type that rocket wrote in defense of Chico that 82 would mercilessly mock (Boo Boo).

I like Mike and I like you. I don't mean to be "hurling insults". But dueling anecdotes of hypocrisy, outrage, etc. (identity politics period) from right or left has gotten out of hand on Scoop.

Interesting, Lenny. You sure claim to know a lot about what's going on in my head.

Warning: That is a dark and scary place.

You sure know how to hurt a guy comparing him to chicos, though.

I'm kind of the anti-chicos in this context, really. I think everything is (or at least a lot of things are) about race, and he thinks nothing is. Well, that last part isn't actually true. He thinks everybody's out to get whitey.

Anyway, I'm glad you like me, Lenny. You'd have real ripped me a new one if you didn't.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #78 on: September 26, 2017, 10:20:25 PM »
I agree that people who bring up a person's gender, sexual orientation, religion (or lack thereof) or color when a crime is committed are misguided (I assume that's what you mean by wackos). Unfortunately, there are a lot of wackos in the world.

Glad you recognize MU82 (and the entire start to this thread) as wacko.

Praise God!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #79 on: September 26, 2017, 10:25:25 PM »
Also, people really question your signing of sympathy cards?! Bizarre.

This surprises you?

A certain fair-and-balanced TV network has made an entire platform out of The War On Christmas. And in his speech to Boy Scouts, the most powerful person in America vowed: " ... you'll be saying 'Merry Christmas' again when you go shopping, believe me."

Are we talkin' instant beheadings for saying, "Happy Holidays," or just jail time?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #80 on: September 26, 2017, 10:44:28 PM »
Interesting, Lenny. You sure claim to know a lot about what's going on in my head.

Warning: That is a dark and scary place.

You sure know how to hurt a guy comparing him to chicos, though.

I'm kind of the anti-chicos in this context, really. I think everything is (or at least a lot of things are) about race, and he thinks nothing is. Well, that last part isn't actually true. He thinks everybody's out to get whitey.

Anyway, I'm glad you like me, Lenny. You'd have real ripped me a new one if you didn't.

Mike, the parallel I drew between you and Chico is as follows:

You have a somewhat rigid (albeit opposite) world view. You both resort to anecdotal evidence (which IMO isn't worth much) to passionately, combatively and hyperbolically push that world view. For me, that's "angry Mike" who is similar to Chico. I recognize that character because I'm also at times guilty in that regard.

OTOH, you have a wit and sense of humor about yourself and the world around you that I think is engaging. When your "good angels" have the upper hand (which I'd guess would be the vast majority of the time) I'd bet you're a great guy.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #81 on: September 27, 2017, 12:05:26 AM »
When your "good angels" have the upper hand (which I'd guess would be the vast majority of the time) I'd bet you're a great guy.

Some define success with money.  Others, achievement.  Me, it's knowing that when the angels at the table are already holding the upper hand, I'm capable of resisting the urge to go all in.  But then again, I'm no stranger to the surprise of what I'm capable vs. of what I do.

Not sure what that means.  Don't Scoop and Drink, maybe?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #82 on: September 27, 2017, 12:38:06 AM »
Damn.  Been awhile since I'e been here and this beauty of a thread is staring at me at the top of the page.

This is a pretty disgusting racist thread.

Identity politics wins when you break people down into primitive, tribal instincts= thread is a win for leftist, bad for humanity.

The Superbar has obviously become a bastion for enlightenment. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #83 on: September 30, 2017, 05:30:13 PM »
Mike, the parallel I drew between you and Chico is as follows:

You have a somewhat rigid (albeit opposite) world view. You both resort to anecdotal evidence (which IMO isn't worth much) to passionately, combatively and hyperbolically push that world view. For me, that's "angry Mike" who is similar to Chico. I recognize that character because I'm also at times guilty in that regard.

OTOH, you have a wit and sense of humor about yourself and the world around you that I think is engaging. When your "good angels" have the upper hand (which I'd guess would be the vast majority of the time) I'd bet you're a great guy.

Who the hell you calling a great guy? Eff off, Lenny!