collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Fine, upstanding, young, white Christian men  (Read 12854 times)

dgies9156

• All American
Re: Fine, upstanding, young, white Christian men
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2017, 08:52:16 AM »
One really needs to understand Wheaton College to have a real grasp on what factors are at play here.
I think race and privilege have far less to do with this story than the intense desire of an insular, hyperconservative community to protect its image.

Gee, where have we seen that one before?

Perhaps when a campus cop calls the head basketball coach rather than the local constables, as state law requires.

Or perhaps when a bishop transfers a misbehaving priest all over a diocese rather than deal with the misbehavior.

Or perhaps yet when a President becomes an unindicted co-conspirator rather than acknowledge his minions were breaking the law....

It goes on and on...

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2017, 11:41:42 AM »
We know what athletes the orange creep will never criticize -the "very fine people" who committed this violent assault.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2017, 12:17:16 PM »
I'm just gonna guess......

In before the lock.

This ^^^^^^

Have at it Wocky.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2017, 10:00:03 PM »
I'm just gonna guess......

In before the lock.

Why? We can't have a grown-up discussion about race, white privilege, athletes gone wild, etc.?

I know that I didn't say anything that merited this thread be locked.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2017, 01:48:45 AM »
Why? We can't have a grown-up discussion about race, white privilege, athletes gone wild, etc.?

Wasn't pointed at you.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2017, 06:52:18 AM »
don't...don't don't don't don't

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2017, 08:22:34 AM »
Only if we humans could treat each other the way we treat our dogs. We don't care what color our dogs are and our dogs don't care what color we are. I think we can learn a lesson from our canine friends.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2017, 10:24:32 AM »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2017, 10:53:21 AM »
Only if we humans could treat each other the way we treat our dogs. We don't care what color our dogs are and our dogs don't care what color we are. I think we can learn a lesson from our canine friends.

Not a bad metaphor. But my dog barks at people of color and people who are overweight. So even our canine friends can be bigots  ;D
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2017, 11:08:23 AM »
Not a bad metaphor. But my dog barks at people of color and people who are overweight. So even our canine friends can be bigots  ;D

And some dogs try to kill other dogs.  :-\

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2017, 12:06:59 PM »

For starters, was your thread title grown-up? Or was it meant to be sarcastic, cause a stir? Was it meant to start a grow-up conversation? 

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2017, 03:50:01 PM »

Grown-up = mocking religion in your original post? Get real. This thread started with your hateful, disturbing words. Sad!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2017, 05:49:16 PM »
Grown-up = mocking religion in your original post? Get real. This thread started with your hateful, disturbing words. Sad!

We have a bingo

MU82

• All American
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2017, 06:36:39 PM »
Congrats, JB. You got a "bingo" from chicos.

I'm sure that those fine, upstanding, young, white Christian men stood for the national anthem before games, at least.

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2017, 09:55:22 PM »

Can you imagine if he started a thread about a fine, upstanding, young, black Muslim man regarding today's church shooting in Tennessee?  It would be universally condemned. But this thread title is somehow ok?   You are exactly right what the intent was and it was sad.  Nothing grown up about it.  I'd love to have grown up conversations here.  Is it possible?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2017, 09:57:12 PM »
Can you imagine if he started a thread about a fine, upstanding, young, black Muslim man regarding today's church shooting in Tennessee?  It would be universally condemned. But this thread title is somehow ok?   You are exactly right what the intent was and it was sad.  Nothing grown up about it.  I'd love to have grown up conversations here.  Is it possible?

With you involved?

Nope.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2017, 10:13:07 PM »

TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2017, 06:09:11 AM »

With you involved?

Nope.

i don't think you could have that conversation with yourself without chit hitting the fan.  you'd have to give yourself the ban hammer or a timeout at least.  i'd vote for the former
don't...don't don't don't don't

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2017, 07:37:24 AM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2017, 07:39:40 AM »

First, I wouldn't have started a post about him because it had nothing to do with sports.

Second, according to those who knew the shooter well, they said he wasn't into religion (https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/one-killed-eight-shot-church-shooting-tennessee-n804321), so I don't know why you would bring religion into it - except for a possible anti-Muslim bias on your part.

Third, I admit my title was intended to be controversial and thought-provoking. What is happening in society today (IMHO) is that many white Christian men have created a narrative in which they are the oppressed - hell, you feed that narrative several times a day here. Many Christian organizations hold themselves up as righteous and morally superior. And so, when white Christian men commit rape and then their Christian organization "punishes" them by making them write essays, hoping it all goes away, it's hypocrisy of the highest order in my view.

Others are allowed to disagree with what I just said. That's 'Merica!

Have a nice day.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2017, 07:57:57 AM »

Well first, people would have pointed out that this has nothing to do with sports, or MU, so has no business on this board. 

Then, people would likely point out that the man's religion is largely unknown, but up to at least 1-year ago, he was attending the Christian church that he ended up shooting people at.  So he was at least Christian in the past.  So your title would make no sense whatsoever.

Next, they would have pointed out that the man was immediately arrested and charged with murder, instead of being allowed to remain in school and compete in football, after writing an essay. 

Finally, if you didn't get that the title by MU82 was written in jest/satire of the mission of the University these disgusting individuals attended, then I'm sorry, but a little thought before attacking is always helpful.

Nice job of deflecting, and trying to bring up a topic that has no business here. 

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2017, 08:08:06 AM »
I'd love to have grown up conversations here.  Is it possible?

Not from the guy who was banned from here because he's incapable of grown-up conversations. How's that ban going by the way?

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2017, 02:24:13 PM »

There are reasons MU82 and I mock religion - even though he is an atheist and I consider myself christian.

Evangelicals sold their souls to a political party in the 80's. Catholic leaders openly allowed their leaders to rape children and when they finally got caught, tried to lie and cover it up - often blaming the children. Pastor Robert Jeffress, the orange pig's pastor, played the WWJD card on "Fox and Friends" today. He had the blaspheming gall to suggest to NFL players that Jesus tells them they "owe" the government and Trump "our respect and our prayers." He also said Friday that God is not "an open-borders kind of guy".

These are great reasons to knock religion. I don't think that 82 or I have even mocked any person who is truly living a christian life.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2017, 07:24:03 PM »
There are reasons MU82 and I mock religion - even though he is an atheist and I consider myself christian.

Evangelicals sold their souls to a political party in the 80's. Catholic leaders openly allowed their leaders to rape children and when they finally got caught, tried to lie and cover it up - often blaming the children. Pastor Robert Jeffress, the orange pig's pastor, played the WWJD card on "Fox and Friends" today. He had the blaspheming gall to suggest to NFL players that Jesus tells them they "owe" the government and Trump "our respect and our prayers." He also said Friday that God is not "an open-borders kind of guy".

These are great reasons to knock religion. I don't think that 82 or I have even mocked any person who is truly living a christian life.

Indeed, brand, some of the most "Christian" folks I know are atheists!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2017, 09:37:22 PM »
When will Mods do the right thing?