[Today at 04:00:30 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Hayward Screwed Again-Ndiaye BE Defensive POY  (Read 2878 times)

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
Hayward Screwed Again-Ndiaye BE Defensive POY
« on: March 08, 2010, 12:40:14 PM »
Between getting Jim Burred on Saturday, getting 2nd team All Big East, and losing out on defensive POY to Hamady Ndiaye, I would not want to be an opponent having to face one p*ssed off Lazar Hayward on Wednesday.

Has there been any player in Marquette history that has gotten less respect than Lazar?
The General has taken on a new command.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
Re: Hayward Screwed Again-Ndiaye BE Defensive POY
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 12:44:33 PM »
Has there been any player in Marquette history that has gotten less respect than Lazar?

I never respected Chris Grimm.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 12:55:32 PM »
Agreed, I was pissed that Lazar wasn't 1st team BE.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

muballer10

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 01:03:20 PM »

As a rule of thumb, I don't use the term "lol".

LOL

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 01:03:45 PM »
I'm just curious how Lazar was favored to win this... Ndiaye is a beast of a shot blocker. The only thing I feel for Lazar on is getting Jim Burred in his senior day game. He plays to compete, and to win. He is unselfish and this was proven in his four years year. He's not about the rewards, the loss to ND was the only thing he'll be pissed about

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 01:05:07 PM »
Agree on all counts.  No way Zar was even considered for defensive player of the year if only because he was defending the low post against the tall trees in the BE.

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 01:25:55 PM »
I beg to differ on Lazar's case for Defensive POY.

1)  Other than Greedy Peterson, Lazar was the only player in the top 15 in rebounding in the conference 6'6" or under.
2)  Lazar's defensive rebound percentage was 21.6%, good enough for 4th in the league.  And especially astounding for a 6'6" post player.
3)  Lazar finished 3rd in steals at 1.7 per game, and 52 overall.  3rd in the league, and the only post player to finish in the top 12.
4)  Lazar frequently drew the other team's 5 man, and often had to play in foul trouble in 2nd halves of games. While he only had a handful of pure standout performances, he was more than serviceable as a post defender, even despite frequently giving up 4+ inches to most of the post players in the league.
The General has taken on a new command.

MUeagle05

• Walk-On
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 01:36:28 PM »

1)  Other than Greedy Peterson, Lazar was the only player in the top 15 in rebounding in the conference 6'6" or under.
2)  Lazar's defensive rebound percentage was 21.6%, good enough for 4th in the league.  And especially astounding for a 6'6" post player.
3)  Lazar finished 3rd in steals at 1.7 per game, and 52 overall.  3rd in the league, and the only post player to finish in the top 12.
4)  Lazar frequently drew the other team's 5 man, and often had to play in foul trouble in 2nd halves of games. While he only had a handful of pure standout performances, he was more than serviceable as a post defender, even despite frequently giving up 4+ inches to most of the post players in the league.

Playing well with foul trouble and being "more than serviceable" does not make you defensive POY

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 01:41:09 PM »
I guess count me in the minority.  With 16 teams and only so many honors, I don't know how we can say he was "screwed".   

Who on the 1st team should he have bumped?

For BE Defensive POY, why should he have vaulted over those that finished ahead of him? 

We don't even know if he finished 2nd....for all we know he finished 5th in the voting for this award.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 01:52:38 PM »

I echo Muballer10's comments

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 02:23:48 PM »
Who on the 1st team should he have bumped?

One could argue...

Harangody - He missed 1/3 of the conference games and his team is better without him.

Monroe - More hype than actual production.

Butler - Hayward has better numbers in nearly every category.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 02:28:52 PM »

Except for shooting percentage on last second shots.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

LA

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 02:49:13 PM »

If it was the "biggest underdog of the year award" or "best player under 6'6" to play the post position" award I would have to agree. Nothing in your post made me think BE Defensive POY. Zar is incredibly strong for his size and is a tough defender but not the type of defender that makes people think twice about driving to the hoop.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 03:34:36 PM »
One could argue...

Harangody - He missed 1/3 of the conference games and his team is better without him.

Monroe - More hype than actual production.

I don't know.  Harangody even missing those games had better numbers than Hayward.  Notre Dame might be better without him or they might finally be catching fire regardless.  I guess we'll find out.

Butler, that's going to be awfully tough argument.  Butler has more options on his team and isn't the sole focal point where Lazar has more things run for him.  That's why it's always dangerous to just use stats.  The eyeball test also has to be used.

Monroe...I might go for that one.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2010, 05:44:56 PM »
Every time I saw Georgetown play Freeman was their best player - not Monroe. Think he should be first team. I also give the nod to Lazar over Harangody - he played every game and was a workhorse on offense AND defense.

Rocco

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2010, 06:19:02 PM »
Lazar got screwed on not being first team all big east, but defensive player of the year?  Come on, I love Lazar as much as anyone, but he is pretty poor on defense.  He reminds me of Glenn Robinson, a lot of steals, but definitely not a lock down defender.