[May 05, 2024, 10:02:26 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[May 05, 2024, 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Facing a #1  (Read 6571 times)

MountainCreekHouse

• Starter
  • Danktatoes
Re: Facing a #1
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2010, 10:48:27 AM »
anyone else in relativity to the other possible 8 or 9 seeds the could potentially face. but thank you, i'm a "word-of-the-daye"-er
Farva:"Give me six Schlitzes."
O'Hagan: "Take it easy, Rod."
Farva: "Open bar, dude!"

OhioGoldenEagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2010, 10:53:51 AM »
because of our ability to shoot the 3... and we don't get blown out.

we are a nightmare matchup for the top teams in that respect.

"Nightmare"????  I understand that we have gone toe to toe with the upper echelon of the Big East, but I don't think that the likes of Kansas and Kentucky would tremble if they saw MU as a second round matchup.  They are #1 seeds for a reason.....played the best and beat the best.  I suspect that they aren't scared of playing anyone.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2010, 11:04:32 AM »
"Nightmare"????  I understand that we have gone toe to toe with the upper echelon of the Big East, but I don't think that the likes of Kansas and Kentucky would tremble if they saw MU as a second round matchup.  They are #1 seeds for a reason.....played the best and beat the best.  I suspect that they aren't scared of playing anyone.

yes, nightmare.  I mean it.  No one in their right mind should want to play MU in the tournament. 

It is a bit embarassing to lose in the second round as a #1 seed.. and MU has the ability to knock anyone off on any given night.

flash

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2010, 11:13:23 AM »
If we are making our 3's we can beat anyone.  If i was a number 1 seed I would hate to play us in the second round.  We are experienced and can play with anyone.  Our worst lost this year was only by 9 points.  We played all the top teams in the Big East tough even Syracuse.  I would rather not play a number 1 seed obviously, but when it comes down to it, we have a chance against any team. 

Fullodds

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2010, 04:06:05 PM »
I'd play any #1 seed.

Syracuse is a #1 seed and we played them AT THEIR PLACE pretty darn tough.  Tournament games are strange.  Being a 8/9 playing a 1 seed could be interesting.   The longer we stay in a game the pressure is all on the #1 seed.  Considering that we do not get blown out we become a tough team to put out. 

I really think that Ohio State will make it too the Final Four this year -- Evan Turner is the best player I've seen and they are rolling.  I see Kansas slipping up somewhere.   Fun time of the year.

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2010, 04:41:52 PM »
I would love to play kentucky even though its a scary matchup cousins/wall ---- i have no idea how we would defend these guys...

but.

I would rather see us go out with a bang and play a good game against UK than any other team.  Going back to the Rupp / McGuire days and getting them back for say the 1972 game would be sweet.  Lets be honest though , we should be worried about the first game regardless of the seeding , i am much more worried about playing a 9 seed and lose that game than i would be playing UK or KU or whatever. nothing worse than a first round tournament buzz kill .......... no pun intended.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2010, 04:54:26 PM »
I would love to play kentucky even though its a scary matchup cousins/wall ---- i have no idea how we would defend these guys...

but.

I would rather see us go out with a bang and play a good game against UK than any other team.  Going back to the Rupp / McGuire days and getting them back for say the 1972 game would be sweet.  Lets be honest though , we should be worried about the first game regardless of the seeding , i am much more worried about playing a 9 seed and lose that game than i would be playing UK or KU or whatever. nothing worse than a first round tournament buzz kill .......... no pun intended.

we paid back UK in full in 2003.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2010, 05:12:35 PM »
I read about 8 comments or so and then just skipped down to reply because many of you piss me off. You would honestly want to face UK or KU? They would absolutly punish us with their size. I wouldnt even be able to watch the game. They are the only 2 teams that scare me for our team to play. Tack on the fact the the 8/9 game is always even and impossible to predict. We may not even win the first game.

Now go look at lunardis bracket and look at all the 6,7,10,11 seeds and the 2 and 3's and tell me if any of them truly scare you. I would love to draw a 6 seed butler or 11 seed utah state again. I would love to play 2 seed new mexico or purdue over UK and KU.

Think. Its not that hard.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Doris Burkes Thong

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2010, 05:36:25 PM »
I wonder what it would take for MU to still get a 6/7 seed. What do you guys think? Win 3 in MSG? Does a 1st round win and a victory of Nova catapult us to a 7? I want MU to have no part of the 8/9 game. Only 1 seed I think they have a chance against would be Duke. MU would have to shoot an unbelievable 3 pt.% to have any shot against UK or Kansas to make up for all the easy 2 point FG's those teams would get.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2010, 05:38:20 PM »
beat Nova and we are no worse than a 7, and most likely that is what we are. Had we beat ND, the Nova game would probably give us a 6. We probably need to beat Cuse to get a 6 and yes Cuse. Not Gtown or USF or DePaul(ok i really got cocky). Although losing and being done by wednesday afternoon would suck, it would atleast give us a better seeed, probably an 11. So...

mu_eyeballs

• Starter
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2010, 06:41:14 PM »
I really think that Ohio State will make it too the Final Four this year -- Evan Turner is the best player I've seen and they are rolling.  I see Kansas slipping up somewhere. Fun time of the year.

Yes Evan Turner is amazing and the Big Ten player of the week has become the Evan Turner Player of the week award...but he has had his games where he has disappeared. Also OSU might be one of the only top teams that has a shorter bench than we do. They have five guys and NOBODY...living in Columbus I would love and hate this match up. Win and I could gloat till football season...loose and I might not be able to show my face for a long time.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 06:45:01 PM by mu_eyeballs »

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2010, 08:47:33 PM »
I read about 8 comments or so and then just skipped down to reply because many of you piss me off. You would honestly want to face UK or KU? They would absolutly punish us with their size. I wouldnt even be able to watch the game. They are the only 2 teams that scare me for our team to play. Tack on the fact the the 8/9 game is always even and impossible to predict. We may not even win the first game.

Now go look at lunardis bracket and look at all the 6,7,10,11 seeds and the 2 and 3's and tell me if any of them truly scare you. I would love to draw a 6 seed butler or 11 seed utah state again. I would love to play 2 seed new mexico or purdue over UK and KU.

Think. Its not that hard.

I really don't think the point of this thread is that we would rather face a #1 seed. The point, I believe, is that facing a #1 seed is the most likely scenario this year, and that i may in fact offer the most opportunity. I for one would love to face KU, not only for the fact that it would be much more fulfilling to get to the sweet 16 after beating a team like that...but that I know our team would respond incredibly to a challenge like that. I also despise everything about KU and know their fans (and maybe their players???) are more scared of not making the final four than actually enjoying the excitement of getting there.

Guess what? Last time I heard it is one game. KU may beat us by 29 9 times out of ten, but we aren't playing 10 times, we are playing once and we would have absolutely nothing to lose. If you think our team would be intimidated or get destroyed by any of these teams then you must not have been watching the same team all year.  Bring any of those teams.

Of course getting an 11 seed would be better to create a run, but we still have to win those games one at a time and nothing is a given. We are not going to win the national championship but besides a scenario where we could beat Wisconsin somewhere in the bracket, how good would that feel to ruin a season for Kentucky or Kansas?  Last time I checked we have been a thorn in Kentucky's side in the tourney since it expanded, id love to see their fan reactions to matching against us.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 08:52:00 PM by KCMarq09 »
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2010, 09:45:20 PM »
exactly my point, nothing is a given even in a 8/9 game when the teams are even. So IF you win that then you get a 1 seed. No, i do not want to play KU or UK ever. I have watched this team all year and seen them step up but we have played nothing like KU or UK in terms of size. Aldrich and the Morris twins.....Patterson,Cousins and Orton. Then you have Wall,Bledsoe and company and Sherron Collins and Xavier Henry. It would be a nightmare for us. Im sorry, but its the truth. We dont want an 8/9 game if you want to see the second weekend.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2010, 10:12:54 PM »
We are kind of in a difficult situation right now.  If we lose the first round game in the BET, we fall out of the 8-9, and possibly further and maybe onto the bubble.  However, Butler and UTEP are the only teams left playing that will probably get an at large if they lose in their conference tournament, unless some small team wins their conference tournament (i.e. Georgia, a couple of years back). 
If we win the first game, and also beat Villanova, do we knock them out of a 2?  Does that bring MU up to a seven, and then we potentially play Ohio State (nope) or New Mexico (yes) or Temple (yes) as the new two?
The committee makes strange decisions over the years.  Last year we basically showed in 3 games that we were equal of Villanova, who ended up a 3 and us a 6.  Two years ago we were +32 over Notre Dame in 3 games and ended up a seed behind them.
Who knows what will happen at this point?

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2010, 10:16:46 PM »
Temple wont get a 2

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2010, 10:52:04 PM »
exactly my point, nothing is a given even in a 8/9 game when the teams are even. So IF you win that then you get a 1 seed. No, i do not want to play KU or UK ever. I have watched this team all year and seen them step up but we have played nothing like KU or UK in terms of size. Aldrich and the Morris twins.....Patterson,Cousins and Orton. Then you have Wall,Bledsoe and company and Sherron Collins and Xavier Henry. It would be a nightmare for us. Im sorry, but its the truth. We dont want an 8/9 game if you want to see the second weekend.

Nice defeatist attitude there.  Truth is we are in March now when anything can happen. I want every part of any team matched against us. Not saying if I had a choice I would choose the 8/9 seed (id love to have the 12 seed), but the reality is we are nearly guaranteed to face #2 or # 1 seed in the second game if we can get there. Its March, we can lose to any team and we can beat any team.

Also, if you know anything about KU you know the only teams that have really given them trouble are ones that shoot the three very well. Oh and the Morris twins are the most overrated talented players I have seen, they would be average without Aldrich there.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2010, 11:06:31 PM »
the two's are very disparate this year. according to most, you could get a KSU, Villanova or a West Virginia. OR you could get a Big Ten champ (Purdue in a lot of places) or a mid major like New Mexico or even a surging Temple. Talk about luck of the draw.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2010, 12:59:39 AM »
I'd happily have MU play a #1 seed at any point in the NCAAs.  No shame in losing, and a damn good chance at winning (yes, even against UK and KU).

Bring it!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2010, 08:14:32 AM »
HH32, here is my problem.

IF we face a mid major and lose, I would be extremely disappointed.  If we face UK/KU, and lose I can still hold my head high.

After losing to teams we shouldn't lose to in the tournament for years... I'm just sick of it.

feedback