[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[May 07, 2024, 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: CDC suspends social distancing and masks if fully vaccinated  (Read 34281 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: CDC suspends social distancing and masks if fully vaccinated
« Reply #175 on: May 21, 2021, 01:47:48 PM »
this is true.  What I find ridiculous is the vaccinated who continue to wear masks outside and try and shame those who don't, even if we're vaccinated. Restaurants who have announced "mask optional" policies have been deluged with complaints and threats from makers while those who are continuing mask requirements are being deluged with threats from anti-maskers.

Agreed here.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #176 on: May 21, 2021, 01:48:27 PM »
Good try, but not entirely accurate. A large segment of the African-American population is abstaining from vaccination. They remain skeptical of side effects and do not want to be "guinea pigs" as they feel they have been in the past, hey?

This is true. And such a sad state of affairs. Beliefs in our institutions have been destroyed by so many for terrible reasons.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #177 on: May 21, 2021, 01:55:02 PM »
Those who haven't been vaccinated yet can still choose to wear a mask in places that have dropped mask mandates. Those who are vaccinated don't need to worry about whether unmasked folks are vaccinated or not. I think this is the basic premise of the CDC guidance and makes complete sense.

We've all been asked bear the burden of trying to prevent the spread for a very long time. For those who have been vaccinated, there is no need to continue to enforce restrictions. For those who have not, just keep doing what you've been doing until you can get your shots.  I will personally welcome the societal shift of going back to not assuming every human being in your vicinity is a threat to your health and happiness.

I don't see a need to show proof of vaccination for most everyday activities like shopping, exercising, go to work, etc. Travel is a little different because of the close proximity in confined spaces, but I still think the ideas above apply here.

I am pretty much here, too. Lots of common sense, ski.

I do totally support the likes of airlines and cruise lines requiring proof of vaccinations. Same with colleges and universities. I wouldn't blame management of indoor venues (sports, concerts, etc) for doing so, either. And for that matter, if a private business owner wants to require masks, that's his or her choice. Those who object have the right to go elsewhere.

But sooner or later, we were gonna have to get back to normal-ish.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #178 on: May 21, 2021, 02:19:38 PM »
I was referring to those unable to be vaccinated for whatever medical reason.

What % of the population is that?

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #179 on: May 21, 2021, 03:04:28 PM »
And that's a fair point to have with regards to folks who will be vaccinated, but haven't yet been.

For the people who are in a unique enough medical situation to not be able to get the vaccine, they'll just have to continue wearing a mask for the foreseeable future. There has to be a point where vaccinated people get to return to something resembling normalcy; we can't continue on with the pandemic mentality forever.

And on the plus side, I've got to think the percentage of people who won't be able to get the vaccine for medical reasons will be very, very low. For example, my mom is nearing 70 and has been on some form of chemo for the better part of the last 15 years. Her immune system is pretty compromised given all that history, but she was still encouraged by her doctors to get the vaccine.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #180 on: May 21, 2021, 03:39:47 PM »
In some cases though, they can get the vaccine but there may be lessened, or no, immune response. They are doing some studies on that.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #181 on: May 21, 2021, 03:46:49 PM »
For the people who are in a unique enough medical situation to not be able to get the vaccine, they'll just have to continue wearing a mask for the foreseeable future. There has to be a point where vaccinated people get to return to something resembling normalcy; we can't continue on with the pandemic mentality forever.

And on the plus side, I've got to think the percentage of people who won't be able to get the vaccine for medical reasons will be very, very low. For example, my mom is nearing 70 and has been on some form of chemo for the better part of the last 15 years. Her immune system is pretty compromised given all that history, but she was still encouraged by her doctors to get the vaccine.

Oh. Ya. I'm not talking about vaccinated people being punished.

I'm talking those unvaccinated and unwilling.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #182 on: May 21, 2021, 04:30:53 PM »
Oh. Ya. I'm not talking about vaccinated people being punished.

I'm talking those unvaccinated and unwilling.

That's over half of America.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #183 on: May 21, 2021, 06:19:37 PM »
Don't you have some cloud to be yelling at, old man?

you are cute when you are mad, but i ain't gonna exploit your yute, inexperience and naivety to call you names
    you do seem to struggle mentally when your team is giving us unscientific, bad messaging.  we need to hold our "experts" accountable and call them out when they are wrong.  better yet, replace them with someone who can do his/her job with dignity as we pay this guy to give us unbiased, NONpartisan medical guidance.  fausolini failed
don't...don't don't don't don't

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #184 on: May 21, 2021, 06:38:11 PM »

you are cute when you are mad, but i ain't gonna exploit your yute, inexperience and naivety to call you names
    you do seem to struggle mentally when your team is giving us unscientific, bad messaging.  we need to hold our "experts" accountable and call them out when they are wrong.  better yet, replace them with someone who can do his/her job with dignity as we pay this guy to give us unbiased, NONpartisan medical guidance.  fausolini failed

I'm not mad, bucko, I'm frustrated with how brainwashed you are.  You're a lost human that has no desire to come back to the real world.

Next time, I'm just gonna report it and move on.  You add nothing to conversation, just partisan drivel that is easily debunked.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #185 on: May 21, 2021, 06:43:52 PM »
I'm not mad, bucko, I'm frustrated with how brainwashed you are.  You're a lost human that has no desire to come back to the real world.

Next time, I'm just gonna report it and move on.  You add nothing to conversation, just partisan drivel that is easily debunked.

Ignore it, Hards. Makes Scoop much more pleasant.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #186 on: May 21, 2021, 07:49:06 PM »
Much like when the funny moment in a movie trailer ends up being the only funny moment in a bad movie...in that disaster of a take, Fausolini was actually really funny in the most absurd of ways

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #187 on: May 22, 2021, 03:53:02 PM »
Good try, but not entirely accurate. A large segment of the African-American population is abstaining from vaccination. They remain skeptical of side effects and do not want to be "guinea pigs" as they feel they have been in the past, hey?

There are many issues of vaccine hesitancy that need to be broken down.  While this is one, the data through this lens doesn’t explain the situation as well as other theories.   

https://twitter.com/charles_gaba/status/1395779055149096960?s=21

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #188 on: May 22, 2021, 04:58:05 PM »
There are many issues of vaccine hesitancy that need to be broken down.  While this is one, the data through this lens doesn’t explain the situation as well as other theories.   

https://twitter.com/charles_gaba/status/1395779055149096960?s=21

On that note, it's pretty clear what our elected officials are "telling" us:
Democratic lawmakers in both chambers of Congress have a 100% vaccination rate against Covid-19, a CNN survey of Capitol Hill found this week, significantly outpacing Republicans in the House and Senate and illustrating the partisan divide over the pandemic.

For Republicans, at least 44.8% of House members are vaccinated and at least 92% of senators are, CNN found.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/14/politics/democrats-vaccination-rates-house-mask-rules/index.html

I'll edit this to add, the 44% number is questionable, because:
One hundred and twelve Republican offices did not respond to multiple CNN inquires.

So of the 212 R's 95 have said "vaccinated", 5 are "not vaccinated", and 112 "no response"

Still, not the best messaging...
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 05:07:43 PM by rocky_warrior »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #189 on: May 22, 2021, 06:14:43 PM »
In some cases though, they can get the vaccine but there may be lessened, or no, immune response. They are doing some studies on that.

There was a fully vaccinated woman in Wisconsin who died of Covid. She was undergoing chemo and her own family said that she it was probably because she had no immune response to the vaccine.
Have some patience, FFS.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #190 on: May 23, 2021, 02:42:53 AM »

What % of the population is that?

Since this wasn't answered, I did some more googling.  I don't see any significant portion of the  population that are "unable to be vaccinated for whatever medical reason".  The only caveats are those:
1) < 12 (not yet very affected by covid)
2) people with a severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) to any component of the COVID-19 vaccine
3) immunocompromised the vaccine may not be as effective

So allergic reaction seems to be the only reason (other than age) one can NOT get a vaccine.  From what I found "Anaphylaxis to the mRNA COVID-19 vaccines is currently estimated to occur in 2.5 to 11.1 cases per million doses, largely in individuals with a history of allergy"  so as best as my math goes on the high end (11.1 cases per million) : 0.00111% of the US will have a reaction to the vaccine.   But that doesn't mean they can't get it, because Anaphylaxis is treatable as long as they are monitored ~15 minutes within dosage.

So...I'm going with 0% "can't" get the vaccine for health reasons.

FWIW, I also know women that have gotten pregnant -> got covid -> got a vaccine -> had their (healthy) baby.  In that order.

Short story: Everybody can get it.  Just do it and stop being partisan about it.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

Shorter story: 100% can't live through covid.  Get the vaccine.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 02:47:12 AM by rocky_warrior »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #191 on: May 23, 2021, 07:05:39 AM »
Since this wasn't answered, I did some more googling.  I don't see any significant portion of the  population that are "unable to be vaccinated for whatever medical reason".  The only caveats are those:
1) < 12 (not yet very affected by covid)
2) people with a severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) to any component of the COVID-19 vaccine
3) immunocompromised the vaccine may not be as effective

So allergic reaction seems to be the only reason (other than age) one can NOT get a vaccine.  From what I found "Anaphylaxis to the mRNA COVID-19 vaccines is currently estimated to occur in 2.5 to 11.1 cases per million doses, largely in individuals with a history of allergy"  so as best as my math goes on the high end (11.1 cases per million) : 0.00111% of the US will have a reaction to the vaccine.   But that doesn't mean they can't get it, because Anaphylaxis is treatable as long as they are monitored ~15 minutes within dosage.

So...I'm going with 0% "can't" get the vaccine for health reasons.

FWIW, I also know women that have gotten pregnant -> got covid -> got a vaccine -> had their (healthy) baby.  In that order.

Short story: Everybody can get it.  Just do it and stop being partisan about it.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

Shorter story: 100% can't live through covid.  Get the vaccine.

Appreciate the info.

Agree with your TLDR

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #192 on: May 23, 2021, 07:45:29 AM »

I'll edit this to add, the 44% number is questionable, because:
So of the 212 R's 95 have said "vaccinated", 5 are "not vaccinated", and 112 "no response"

Still, not the best messaging...

Republicans don't talk to CNN for good reason.  Well, unless you're Liz Cheney.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #193 on: May 23, 2021, 07:50:23 AM »

Yeah that’s not the reason. Nice try though.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #194 on: May 23, 2021, 12:13:31 PM »

Lots of Republicans talk to CNN. However, not many who have sold their souls to the non-conservative who has co-opted the Republican Party talk to CNN, that is correct.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #195 on: May 23, 2021, 01:58:55 PM »

Yeah, and Lightweight doesn't talk to the white media, hey?

#racist
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #196 on: May 23, 2021, 02:10:33 PM »

Yeah, and Lightweight doesn't talk to the white media, hey?

#racist
So your argument is:
a) Cheney is a 'Lightweight' because she won't support the Big Lie and
b) conservative media = 'white media'

The most on point modern GOP/Q perspective - glad you aren't trying to hide it anymore.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #197 on: May 23, 2021, 02:16:00 PM »
So your argument is:
a) Cheney is a 'Lightweight' because she won't support the Big Lie and
b) conservative media = 'white media'

The most on point modern GOP/Q perspective - glad you aren't trying to hide it anymore.

Think he is talking about Lightfoot. Not sure why he thinks that is relevant.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #198 on: May 23, 2021, 02:19:26 PM »
Just pointing out the obvious that too many folks want to dismiss, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #199 on: May 23, 2021, 02:20:40 PM »
Think he is talking about Lightfoot. Not sure why he thinks that is relevant.
Red herring to distract from the big lie and complete absence of ideas.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 02:35:58 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.