[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[May 07, 2024, 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What's Next  (Read 5641 times)

GoldenEagle323

• Team Captain
What's Next
« on: April 15, 2019, 04:06:26 PM »
Hurts losing 2 starters, a potential coaching change and then a rebuild. So whats next? What should we expect this season

MUBBau

• Team Captain
Re: What's Next
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 04:07:12 PM »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 04:26:47 PM »
What do I expect?

Everyone else to stay.
Torrence to reclassify to 2019
5 guards between 6'3 and 6'5.     Anim, McEwen, Elliott, Torrence, and Akanno

Starting line up of McEwen, Anim, Howard, Bailey, John

More ball movement on offense, perhaps incorporating some dribble drive versus pick and roll.   
Defensive rebounding issues.   

NCAA team.    Not a 1 seed or preseason top 10.       5-7 seed.   

Or so I hope. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 04:29:49 PM »
Who knows, maybe the Hausers were the problem in the locker room and everybody bands together for a great season.

Maybe the Hausers were the glue that kept the team together and it all falls apart.

Still enough talent “on paper” to make the tourney though so that should be the absolute baseline.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 04:30:05 PM »
What do I expect?

Everyone else to stay.
Torrence to reclassify to 2019
5 guards between 6'3 and 6'5.     Anim, McEwen, Elliott, Torrence, and Akanno

Starting line up of McEwen, Anim, Howard, Bailey, John

More ball movement on offense, perhaps incorporating some dribble drive versus pick and roll.   

Or so I hope.

More of a team scoring in transition? More emphasis on defense?

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 04:50:06 PM »

With the roster as currently constructed I think the smart strategy is to push the pace.  Run with those big guards.  Score in transition.  Shoot lots of 3s. 

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 04:55:36 PM »
With the roster as currently constructed I think the smart strategy is to push the pace.  Run with those big guards.  Score in transition.  Shoot lots of 3s.

In other words, play the way Wojo would like to, but hasn't been able to due to their lack of athleticism.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 05:00:59 PM »
In other words, play the way Wojo would like to, but hasn't been able to due to their lack of athleticism.
I think it is time for Wojo to take over recruiting and offering scholarships so he can get his type of player. (the bozo doing for the last 5 years screwed Wojo over)

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 05:19:46 PM »
I think it is time for Wojo to take over recruiting and offering scholarships so he can get his type of player. (the bozo doing for the last 5 years screwed Wojo over)

Has it occurred to you that this may the reason what happened today happened? Sam committed to MU 4 years ago and was offered a year prior to that, just after Wojo got the job. (He did what Bo Ryan didn't do...recruit Sam to get Joey, who was a rising Soph in HS at the time, if my math is correct). Are you suggesting that he should not have recruited those guys at the time? Of course he was right to do, so but what I'm saying is they are the primary reason they lacked athleticism overall.

I love the Hausers, but I'm telling you I don't believe Wojo is terribly upset by this for a variety of reasons. 

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 05:28:22 PM »
Has it occurred to you that this may the reason what happened today happened? Sam committed to MU 4 years ago and was offered a year prior to that, just after Wojo got the job. (He did what Bo Ryan didn't do...recruit Sam to get Joey, who was a rising Soph in HS at the time, if my math is correct). Are you suggesting that he should not have recruited those guys at the time? Of course he was right to do, so but what I'm saying is they are the primary reason they lacked athleticism overall.

I love the Hausers, but I'm telling you I don't believe Wojo is terribly upset by this for a variety of reasons.
So let me get this right. Wojo ran off the Hausers because they are not good enough athletes(and "a variety of other reasons")? That would make him not only a poor coach but also crazy. This theory will not make most MU fans Wojo supporters.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2019, 05:30:16 PM »

Who is ultimately responsible for the decision to recruit and offer scholarships to the Hauser brothers?
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2019, 05:30:29 PM »
I agree that Wojo may be fine with it. From Jsonline.com:

"But our focus now turns to what we have, the team we have and how we get them to be very good. And we can do that. That's where our focus has to lie now."

Sounds like it may have been percolating for a while, and now Wojo can move forward with committed players.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2019, 05:31:53 PM »

Or so I hope.

I agree with the diagnosis on the bolded, but I disagree that we'll see it. I don't think its coming. I think that if the Hausers had any confidence at all that next year's offense was going to be based on more ball movement and shooting off the catch, they'd still be at Marquette.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2019, 05:34:53 PM »
So let me get this right. Wojo ran off the Hausers because they are not good enough athletes(and "a variety of other reasons")? That would make him not only a poor coach but also crazy. This theory will not make most MU fans Wojo supporters.

No, didn't run them off, but was honest with them about what they should expect in terms of playing time, roles, etc. What I would have anticipated for next year with the additions coming would be reduced minutes and usage which one could reasonably assume  would not have helped their NBA chances at all. Quite the opposite. Take the emotion out of this and look at it logically.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2019, 05:35:48 PM »
Ho-ly Fuggin Shiz there are some hot takes in this thread. Whoa.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2019, 05:39:50 PM »
Who is ultimately responsible for the decision to recruit and offer scholarships to the Hauser brothers?

Wojo, no doubt. What i'm saying it was absolutely the right decision. He was starting from nothing. Getting them was huge. They are very good players, but the fact remains they are not the most athletic guys in the world, and now that MU has (had) more depth and alternatives, their time on the floor and usage was going to be (negatively) impacted. That would hurt their NBA chances, and led to the decision they made. I know the wound is fresh, but look at the situation with logic, not emotion.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2019, 05:51:24 PM »
No, didn't run them off, but was honest with them about what they should expect in terms of playing time, roles, etc. What I would have anticipated for next year with the additions coming would be reduced minutes and usage which one could reasonably assume  would not have helped their NBA chances at all. Quite the opposite. Take the emotion out of this and look at it logically.
Wojo was "honest enough" to run off 2 of his best 3 players. The fact is, Wojo recruited all the players. If he is getting "honest" with players he doesn't like and they are leaving, then MU is in the business of running off student athletes, if we look at it logically.

I will eat crow if MU finds two better players than the Hausers in the next few months for next year's team. Wojo has the opportunity to prove most MU fans wrong, have a better team without Joey and Sam, and earn an extension next year. It's all in Wojo's hands.

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2019, 05:54:56 PM »
I wish the transfer pool was like an actual pool where all these guys have to swim in until they pick a school. 

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2019, 06:21:12 PM »
Wojo was "honest enough" to run off 2 of his best 3 players. The fact is, Wojo recruited all the players. If he is getting "honest" with players he doesn't like and they are leaving, then MU is in the business of running off student athletes, if we look at it logically.

I will eat crow if MU finds two better players than the Hausers in the next few months for next year's team. Wojo has the opportunity to prove most MU fans wrong, have a better team without Joey and Sam, and earn an extension next year. It's all in Wojo's hands.

Who said he didn't like them? There's a difference between not liking guys and having more options and a deeper rotation that will necessarily erode guys minutes and usage. How are you not understanding that? There's 200 floor minutes available in a game. Next year they had more guys that would eat up those minutes.  The reason they were looked at as a Top 5 team was as much about the returning players as it was the talent additions and depth they would have.

Will they be better without them? most likely not. That doesn't mean guys like Mcewen, Elliott, Bailey, etc. weren't going to eat into their PT next year. If they viewed that situation as hurting their NBA chances, then transferring was the right decision for them.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2019, 06:26:00 PM »
Who said he didn't like them? There's a difference between not liking guys and having more options and a deeper rotation that will necessarily erode guys minutes and usage. How are you not understanding that? There's 200 floor minutes available in a game. Next year they had more guys that would eat up those minutes.  The reason they were looked at as a Top 5 team was as much about the returning players as it was the talent additions and depth they would have.

Will they be better without them? most likely not. That doesn't mean guys like Mcewen, Elliott, Bailey, etc. weren't going to eat into their PT next year. If they viewed that situation as hurting their NBA chances, then transferring was the right decision for them.
It’s an interesting theory you’re working off of and I hope to hell its accurate. That would mean there’s more of a plan behind this mess.
No Finish Line

wheresthecake?

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2019, 06:26:28 PM »
I wish the transfer pool was like an actual pool where all these guys have to swim in until they pick a school.
I wish it was an actual portal...

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2019, 07:53:58 PM »

I wouldn't doubt that the two starters replacing the Hausers average more.points than the Hausers did

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2019, 08:54:28 PM »

If MU will not be as good  then why run them off? Is there a plan to make a Final Four run the next year? I believe everyone agrees next year would be our best team in a long time. I get the logic of improving the team with better players but Wojo has done the opposite for next year  and most likely beyond. He has put his job and career in serious jeopardy.

manny31

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2019, 09:18:02 PM »
I think everyone needs to take a half step back and think about this situation.
My son, an MU student  told me about this last week, he is in absolutely no way “in the know”. My guess is that he wasn’t the only one on campus that picked up on this....
So, are we to believe that this came as a complete surprise to Wojo,Stan and the entire staff with their 75 plus years of college hoops experience? I don’t think so.
I was until pretty recently in the somewhat anti Wojo camp. He might not be our guy but he is the guy that the BOT has chosen. My prediction, and it’s a little outrageous, is that we make the E8 next year. No basis for this except that I am a contrarian. I’m no Abby Joseph Cohen either so I will be contrite if I am wrong. What are the odds we make the E8 next year?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2019, 09:20:34 PM »

More team speed.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback