[May 21, 2024, 11:51:36 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by DoctorV
[May 21, 2024, 11:33:38 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[May 21, 2024, 05:59:48 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[May 21, 2024, 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Burton and Dawson to Transer  (Read 89804 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: Burton and Dawson to Transer
« Reply #200 on: December 09, 2014, 04:02:01 PM »
Hard to draw many conclusions about the exact reason for Deonte's transfer, given the storm he has lived through.  The death of his mother, a new coaching staff and totally different system, a frustrating start to the season.

That said, I'm reluctant to put much of this on bad chemistry between Wojo and Deonte.  If I recall correctly, he was the first guy to officially say he was staying after Wojo was announced.  And speaking with him at the picnic, he seemed to absolutely LOVE Wojo and the staff.  Not just typical player-speak, but of all the guys I spoke with at the picnic, he was the guy I went away from thinking "this guy is really happy to be playing for this staff."

Until I hear otherwise, I'm inclined to believe the reasons are all coming from Deonte.  Needing to get away from Milwaukee, not liking Wojo's system, whatever.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #201 on: December 09, 2014, 04:02:29 PM »
I think it's more of a red flag, because in Burton and Dawson's case - they both bought into what Wojo sold upon his hire and decided to stay.  Then after 2 months of practice/games, they felt it best to go elsewhere.

But SC and Mbakwe both had the chance to be around Buzz for a full year as an assistant, as well in TM's case through a summer, and they felt it best to go elsewhere.
Also, you don't know Burton's full situation. It may simply have been that transferring sooner was not an option given his mother's health.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #202 on: December 09, 2014, 04:02:34 PM »
Not correct - he loses 1.5 years.  He'll be eligible for 2.5 college seasons elsewhere...think Luke Fischer...

Incorrect. Assuming both transfer to new schools after the semester, they'll have to sit out a year.  They've both participated in two seasons at MU - down goes two years of eligibility.  Fast forward a year from now, they'll be about a week away from being eligible.  Then they'll play, burn their third year, and have 1 year remaining. 
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 04:04:17 PM by JamilJaeJamailJrJuan »
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #203 on: December 09, 2014, 04:04:48 PM »
Anyone know their academic standing currently?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #204 on: December 09, 2014, 04:07:16 PM »

Both are fine.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #205 on: December 09, 2014, 04:07:24 PM »

Not sure even they will know until after finals.  That said, I've never heard about either of them having academic issues.

MUWarrior4Life

• Team Captain
  • Pro Deo Et Patria
« Reply #206 on: December 09, 2014, 04:08:01 PM »

What does it matter?

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #207 on: December 09, 2014, 04:08:36 PM »
Should be good to go.  Burton made the BE Academic team as a frosh and had good grades out of HS.  They need the grades to transfer in any event.  Otherwise would have to go Juco or NAIA...

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #208 on: December 09, 2014, 04:10:15 PM »
What does it matter?

It matters to Marquette's APR, if I'm not mistaken.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #209 on: December 09, 2014, 04:11:01 PM »
What does it matter?

It impacts MU's graduation rate (and future scholarships, etc) if a player transfers when he isn't in good standing.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #210 on: December 09, 2014, 04:12:57 PM »
It impacts MU's graduation rate (and future scholarships, etc) if a player transfers when he isn't in good standing.
A player cannot transfer to another Div I school if not in good standing.  Suspect they will be fine as well as the APR.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #211 on: December 09, 2014, 04:14:04 PM »
I'm confused.  Let's see if I have this correct.  The logic applies for both John and Deonte.  BOTH accrued minutes here in 2014-15 so that counts as the Sophomore year eligibility.  Both will presumably suit up after winter exams next Christmas and play one half a season counting as their Junior year.  So each only has 1.5 years left.  Just like Luke has 2.5 years left.

Yup that's what it is. That's why I said it really sucks for Johns career losing so much basketball and why Deonte would make so much more sense reevaluating the decision at the end of the year.

But it is up to them.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

🏀

• All American
« Reply #212 on: December 09, 2014, 04:14:39 PM »
What does it matter?

APR.

Should be good to go.  Burton made the BE Academic team as a frosh and had good grades out of HS.  They need the grades to transfer in any event.  Otherwise would have to go Juco or NAIA...

Mason transferred out with poor grades to LSU, though.

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #213 on: December 09, 2014, 04:15:14 PM »
I gotta agree with Ners on this, although I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a red flag.

1.  We are not Duke.  It's imperative of us getting home grown talent to stick around and play at MU.  If Wojo or anyone on this board believes we will be able to recruit Duke quality kids at will they're fooling themselves.

2.  While we may not want to admit it, it's more likely Wojo has less success his first five seasons than Buzz had.  A 16-16-8 run over three seasons is tough accomplishment.

3.  Wanting Wojo to be successful is different from him actually being successful.  While I personally like the hire, the jury is still out on his long term capability.  I live in Washington and have seen one of the best recruiters in Lorenzo Romar take NBA talent and squander it in a weak Pac 12 because of poor coaching.  Not saying that will be the case, but one recruiting class does not cement Wojo as a great coach.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #214 on: December 09, 2014, 04:15:56 PM »
Yup that's what it is. That's why I said it really sucks for Johns career losing so much basketball and why Deonte would make so much more sense reevaluating the decision at the end of the year.

But it is up to them.

Yeah, things really don't add up for Burton. Dawson I can see...minutes just weren't coming. Plus, I bet he has a chance at getting a waiver.  Dude's played 4 minutes this year. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #215 on: December 09, 2014, 04:21:35 PM »
1.  We are not Duke.  It's imperative of us getting home grown talent to stick around and play at MU.  If Wojo or anyone on this board believes we will be able to recruit Duke quality kids at will they're fooling themselves.

I've never really understood this "gotta recruit your backyard" mentality. Is it great when you nail down top recruits who are from Wisconsin? Yes. Where are the best players in MU history from? Chicago, New York, Texas. Wisconsin only makes the cut if we put Wes, Diener, or Novak on that list.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #216 on: December 09, 2014, 04:22:13 PM »
Thanks guys.  Both are paying a very heavy price.  Perhaps John's waiver is/was in the works and Wojo was trying to protect him.  Can't see any reason other than medical hardship (mom's untimely passing) that Deonte will get any discretion.  But they're both good men from good families so I'm sure all the options were weighed.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #217 on: December 09, 2014, 04:24:36 PM »
APR.

Mason transferred out with poor grades to LSU, though.
Mason had the grades as Crean did not give him his release until the semester was over.  He could not have transferred otherwise.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #218 on: December 09, 2014, 04:26:32 PM »
I've never really understood this "gotta recruit your backyard" mentality. Is it great when you nail down top recruits who are from Wisconsin? Yes. Where are the best players in MU history from? Chicago, New York, Texas. Wisconsin only makes the cut if we put Wes, Diener, or Novak on that list.
Jim Chones, Tony Smith, Bob Wolf, Ron Glaser, Damon Key, Jim McIlvaine  etc. we're from Wisconsin
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 04:33:38 PM by Nukem2 »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #219 on: December 09, 2014, 04:30:12 PM »
Not saying it means Wojo is a failure by any means - but it raises a red flag..or perhaps more appropriate a Yellow flag.  You never want to see a Top 50, local recruit, that has a ton of potential transfer out of your program halfway through his sophomore year/your first semester as a head coach.

Wojo landed a top 10 class next year.  But the transfer of a player who has shown splashes, but hasn't quite lived up to his billing and was recruited by a previous administration, is all of the sudden a red flag?

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #220 on: December 09, 2014, 04:30:21 PM »
Have to wonder how coachable the guy is.
Bingo. This has been the knock since high school.

Good kid, but his strength has always been freestyling and a lot of "no, no, no, yes" takes. Looks awesome in pickup games, but struggles in the "the system." Doesn't mind getting beat off the dribble because he has the athleticism to make up for it with a crowd-roaring block into the stands. Never cared much for specific rules of the game because he just "made plays."  I could never figure out how he would fit in the college game because of his size and because he took so many shots, whenever he wanted in both HS and AAU. In my mind, he would flourish with an old-school Loyola Marymount/Paul Westhead run-and-gun program that would simply try to outrun and outscore you. He is a horse with unparalleled athleticism for sure.  I am very intrigued to see how it will turn out for him and will be rooting for him.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #221 on: December 09, 2014, 04:41:26 PM »
While we may not want to admit it, it's more likely Wojo has less success his first five seasons than Buzz had.  A 16-16-8 run over three seasons is tough accomplishment.

Let's just write off the next five seasons already....

Class71

• All American
« Reply #222 on: December 09, 2014, 04:42:09 PM »
Bingo. This has been the knock since high school.

Good kid, but his strength has always been freestyling and a lot of "no, no, no, yes" takes. Looks awesome in pickup games, but struggles in the "the system." Doesn't mind getting beat off the dribble because he has the athleticism to make up for it with a crowd-roaring block into the stands. Never cared much for specific rules of the game because he just "made plays."  I could never figure out how he would fit in the college game because of his size and because he took so many shots, whenever he wanted in both HS and AAU. In my mind, he would flourish with an old-school Loyola Marymount/Paul Westhead run-and-gun program that would simply try to outrun and outscore you. He is a horse with unparalleled athleticism for sure.  I am very intrigued to see how it will turn out for him and will be rooting for him.

Agree with what you are saying and believe he should work very hard to become a 2 with solid defense. Makes that adjustment the sky is the limit. Question is,can he change or better yet is he willing to change. Wish him all the best and hope he makes it.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #223 on: December 09, 2014, 04:42:32 PM »

Wojo landed a top 10 class next year.  But the transfer of a player who has shown splashes, but hasn't quite lived up to his billing and was recruited by a previous administration, is all of the sudden a red flag?

I amended that statement to be a Yellow Flag...and as I've been corrected....it is a pretty big loss of college playing time for guys like Dawson and Burton.  They'll get to their new school and only have 1.5 years left.  Had they stayed at MU they'd have 2.5 left.  That's a lot to give up, if you are only moderately unhappy in the current system/regime...

But, to your point, neither were Wojo's guys/recruits - and it isn't uncommon for transfers to result as a result of a coaching change.  However, that usually takes place at the time of departure of former coach - not after choosing to stay and play for the new coach.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #224 on: December 09, 2014, 04:45:31 PM »
I amended that statement to be a Yellow Flag...and as I've been corrected....it is a pretty big loss of college playing time for guys like Dawson and Burton.  They'll get to their new school and only have 1.5 years left.  Had they stayed at MU they'd have 2.5 left.  That's a lot to give up, if you are only moderately unhappy in the current system/regime...

But, to your point, neither were Wojo's guys/recruits - and it isn't uncommon for transfers to result as a result of a coaching change.  However, that usually takes place at the time of departure of former coach - not after choosing to stay and play for the new coach.

Yeah I understand where you are coming from.  I hope Wojo didn't make promises or expectations that he couldn't deliver upon.  I remember Dawson's dad coming here and was thrilled about the Wojo hire.  Yet now he blows a year of eligibility for four minutes of playing time.  I would hope the NCAA would allow a waiver in his case.