Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Burton and Dawson to Transer  (Read 89444 times)

AirPunches

• All American
Re: Burton and Dawson to Transer
« Reply #250 on: December 09, 2014, 06:56:25 PM »
Dont know if this has been mentioned but does anyone think that there is the potential that Deonte takes the year off completely because his mom passed away? That way I believe that he can come back to MU without having lost any eligibility or perhaps even transfer to another school without any penalty.

I almost think that the main reason denote came back to milwaukee was to be there for his mom. Maybe he has no interest in staying local and just wants to get away. 

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #251 on: December 09, 2014, 06:59:50 PM »
I amended that statement to be a Yellow Flag...and as I've been corrected....it is a pretty big loss of college playing time for guys like Dawson and Burton.  They'll get to their new school and only have 1.5 years left.  Had they stayed at MU they'd have 2.5 left.  That's a lot to give up, if you are only moderately unhappy in the current system/regime...

Not true.

Both have effectively used 2 years of their competition eligibility and have 2 years remaining.

They each have 3.5 years remaining on their 5 year clock.

Absent something outside of the norm, they will be in a position a year from now in which they will have 2.5 years to appear in two different seasons. Whether one of those seasons is a partial year is up to them and their next program.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #252 on: December 09, 2014, 07:02:29 PM »
@Matt_Velazquez
Spoke w/ Steve Wojciechowski. #mubb will likely add a walk-on w/ decision coming sooner rather than later. Relationship is already in place.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #253 on: December 09, 2014, 07:16:23 PM »
@Matt_Velazquez
Spoke w/ Steve Wojciechowski. #mubb will likely add a walk-on w/ decision coming sooner rather than later. Relationship is already in place.

Well, apparently Velazquez found out about my walk on status. Current dispute is about jersey number since 11 is retired for some reason.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #254 on: December 09, 2014, 07:20:42 PM »
Deonte was playing 16 mostly ineffective minutes per game off the bench.
I'm sad to see him go, too, and I don't think this helps MU at all this season, but he wasn't exactly the key to the team's success.

Success?? What success?

Death on call

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #255 on: December 09, 2014, 07:21:24 PM »
Long day at work, just catching up. Very, very disappointed - I had hoped that both of these kids would blossom at MU and have good college careers. I guess it's hard to play college basketball - expectations put on you, coaching changes, learning parts of the game you were not taught in HS, etc., etc. They both seemed like good kids and I hope they succeed wherever they wind up.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #256 on: December 09, 2014, 07:31:15 PM »
@Matt_Velazquez

Definitely Jabari Parker, then. Baby sitters make the best walk-ons, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

chapman

• All American
« Reply #257 on: December 09, 2014, 07:31:58 PM »
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/285252111.html

Quotes from his dad, but certainly sounds like Dawson was encouraged to seek other opportunities.  

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #258 on: December 09, 2014, 07:32:19 PM »
Dont know if this has been mentioned but does anyone think that there is the potential that Deonte takes the year off completely because his mom passed away? That way I believe that he can come back to MU without having lost any eligibility or perhaps even transfer to another school without any penalty.

He's not staying at Marquette.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #259 on: December 09, 2014, 07:44:22 PM »
Matt Velazquez ‏@Matt_Velazquez  6m6 minutes ago
Latest in the @journalsentinel Golden Eagles Blog: Wojciechowski not surprised by transfers, considering a walk-on http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/285298921.html

Steve Wojciechowski not surprised by transfers, considering a walk-on

By Matt Velazquez of the Journal Sentinel
Dec. 9, 2014 7:31 p.m.
Tuesday's announcement that sophomores Deonte Burton and John Dawson will leave the Marquette basketball team and transfer schools came as a surprise to many.

Steve Wojciechowski was not among those caught off guard. The first-year head coach said he became aware of Burton and Dawson's intentions over the past few days in separate conversations with each player.

"I'm not surprised," Wojciechowski said Tuesday evening. "I think, especially in a transition year any time there's a coaching change in today's day and age of college basketball, things like this you come to expect. At times I think guys are best served, I think both parties are best served, if they explore different options. Obviously they felt that way."

Wojciechowski added that he does not know where the two players will transfer, but will offer any help he can moving forward.

When asked if Burton and Dawson left because of a lack of playing time — Burton played the third-fewest minutes on the team and Dawson only appeared for four minutes in the opening game — Wojciechowski said that was a better question for the players. Speaking specifically about Burton, Wojciechowski said his lack of use was a function of other players performing better.

"I don't know if anything went wrong," Wojciechowski said. "I think there were other guys that were playing better than him. We were eight games into the season, so to make a judgment on how the rest of the 20-plus games would go I think it's a little bit too early to judge. But at this point in the season we had other guys that when they're on the court our team plays better collectively."

What Wojciechowski is left with is a roster that now features only eight eligible players, with only seven of them having experience this season. Luke Fischer, who transferred from Indiana, is eligible to play beginning with Marquette's next game against Arizona State.

Wojciechowski remains excited about the direction of his program and hopes that these departures will bring out the best in the players who have remained.

"I thought we had one of our best practices of the year (Tuesday)," Wojciechowski said. "Any time you go through adversity you would hope it galvanizes your team. It gives guys an opportunity to step up. ...

"I'm really excited about our season, I'm excited about the progress the team's made. I'm excited about all the guys who are all in for Marquette and that's where my total focus is.

With transfer Wally Ellenson, who is able to practice but not play until next season, Marquette has nine players on its roster. That's not enough to go 5-on-5 in practice, but Wojciechowski says there's a plan to work around that.

"We have guys, student-managers, who can help," Wojciechowski said. "We may add a walk-on, so we'll have enough guys to practice."

Wojciechowski said he would like to make a decision regarding the addition of a walk-on sooner rather than later. Asked if he had someone in mind or if it would be one of the student-managers, Wojciechowski said it would be someone with whom the program already has a relationship.

Looking to the future, Wojciechowski now has three open scholarships to work with, including the two that opened up Tuesday. He already has a top-5 recruiting class lined up to join the program for the 2015-'16 season, but did not stop recruiting when they signed.

He says Tuesday's news does not change anything in terms of recruiting.

"In today's day and age you prepare for every scenario," he said. "We've got a wide net out there. Again, we are always looking to improve our roster and we are prepared for a number of different scenarios.

"So this doesn't really affect how we look at things, to be honest with you, because we tried to look into the future and predict. These things happen in college basketball in most places, especially when somebody takes over a program."
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #260 on: December 09, 2014, 08:10:53 PM »
It's thinking like that that keeps MU from ever getting a top 10 recruiting class.

Oh wait,......

Well, if you're confident we can get 3 top 100 players (and 1 top 10 almost sure McDonald's All American) out of Wisconsin every year, great. I'm not.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #261 on: December 09, 2014, 08:13:03 PM »
Bob Love? ;)

Butterbean. Good player, really good guy - one of my favorites.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #262 on: December 09, 2014, 08:33:14 PM »
I know I'm coming to this discussion late, but here are my two cents FWIW...

Like most, I was expecting the Dawson move but was surprised/bummed when I heard about Deonte.  However, after thinking about it for a few hours, I am starting to feel more encouraged than disappointed.  I'm encouraged because I think this situation is an indicates a few positive things about our new head coach.

He has a vision for the future and a plan to get there. Unfortunately these two players didn't seem to fit into that plan but that's the way it goes sometimes.  If you are going to shape an organization to meet your vision, you may have to get rid of those that don't fit and can't/won't adapt.  I know that Wojo probably didn't truly "get rid of them" but he certainly didn't have a problem letting them walk away. I am glad our coach has the balls to stick with his plan even if it brings about some negative short term consequences.

brandx

« Reply #263 on: December 09, 2014, 10:10:34 PM »
I know I'm coming to this discussion late, but here are my two cents FWIW...

Like most, I was expecting the Dawson move but was surprised/bummed when I heard about Deonte.  However, after thinking about it for a few hours, I am starting to feel more encouraged than disappointed.  I'm encouraged because I think this situation is an indicates a few positive things about our new head coach.

He has a vision for the future and a plan to get there. Unfortunately these two players didn't seem to fit into that plan but that's the way it goes sometimes.  If you are going to shape an organization to meet your vision, you may have to get rid of those that don't fit and can't/won't adapt.  I know that Wojo probably didn't truly "get rid of them" but he certainly didn't have a problem letting them walk away. I am glad our coach has the balls to stick with his plan even if it brings about some negative short term consequences.

I think you're right. The key thing, to me was: "Speaking specifically about Burton, Wojciechowski said his lack of use was a function of other players performing better."

And since we know that athleticism isn't Deonte's problem, it points to what some have mentioned - that Deonte does not know how to play within the team framework.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #264 on: December 09, 2014, 10:49:10 PM »
As others have said Dawson not a surprise.  Based on his ranking out of High School probably should have gone to a mid major team.  Buzz had an open slot which no other high recruit was going to fill behind Duane.  Dawson wanted to try it.  What the heck.  I don't fault either for giving it a try.  Most of those guys don't end up a major contributors in a high D1 program and some choose to ride the bench for 4 years.  If Dawson has higher aspirations best to get out now.
Burton is a different story.  This kid just has too much talent.  Sure he can be a ball hog and doesn't seem to concentrate much on defense or rebounding.  But he is a high major talent and I will bet that where he lands next he will end up being a major contributor in a year from now.  In a team as offensively challenged as this team is we couldn't find some place for a guy who can score in bunches even with his deficiencies.  Even if he isn't the type of player Wojo is looking for it would seem that it would have been better to compromise a little keep Burton happy enough that he stayed out the year and then decide at the end if his next  2 years will be at MU or somewhere else.     

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #265 on: December 09, 2014, 11:11:14 PM »
I think it's more of a red flag, because in Burton and Dawson's case - they both bought into what Wojo sold upon his hire and decided to stay.  Then after 2 months of practice/games, they felt it best to go elsewhere.

And obviously won't have a lot to say about Dawson's potential/promise moving forward, but of course will follow his career elsewhere...much as many of us do with transfers.
Not really, I posted before the season started that all the players are happy with Wojo until they find out how much playing time they will get.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #266 on: December 10, 2014, 12:28:42 AM »
I think you're right. The key thing, to me was: "Speaking specifically about Burton, Wojciechowski said his lack of use was a function of other players performing better."

And since we know that athleticism isn't Deonte's problem, it points to what some have mentioned - that Deonte does not know how to play within the team framework.
That is bull because he played within the team framework at Milwaukee Vincent. I know high school is not Div 1 college basketball but basketball is basketball.

He can play in a team framework. I think Wojo is throwing away this year, and just wanted that extra spot for next year for some other kid and he more or less forced this move in Burton's case.

He probably made a promise to some kid that he recruited and Deonte was in the way and he did not stand in his way of leaving and has wrote this season off early.

Disagree with me all you want. That is what I see and there is nothing wrong with that. It's his program, lets move on.

I wish both Deonte and John D nothing but the best...especially Deonte being a Milwaukee kid.

I'm done with it. No wait a minute...on second thought I just read this link on it  http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/285252111.html?page=1 and read John Dawson's fathers angle on it.

NOW I AM UPSET. 13,000 miles to come here and out of 41 other Universities and his dad is a coach himself of 37 years!?

Let me get out of here while I can now . . . that makes me look at things differently. So John did not transfer, he was asked to leave??? I dont know about that...
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 12:40:07 AM by MUHoopsFan2 »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #267 on: December 10, 2014, 12:31:18 AM »
That is bull because he played within the team framework at Milwaukee Vincent. I know high school is not Div 1 college basketball but basketball is basketball.

He can play in a team framework. I think Wojo is throwing away this year, and just wanted that extra spot for next year for some other kid and he more or less forced this move in Burton's case.

He probably made a promise to some kid that he recruited and Deonte was in the way and he did not stand in his way of leaving and has wrote this season off early.

Disagree with me all you want. That is what I see and there is nothing wrong with that. It's his program, lets move on.

I wish both Deonte and John D nothing but the best...especially Deonte being a Milwaukee kid.

I'm done with it.

Your right, high school basketball is not division 1 basketball.

The rest is wrong.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #268 on: December 10, 2014, 12:44:08 AM »

I'm done with it.

How the hell did you infer all of that from the transfers today?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

Wish I knew how to embed.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #269 on: December 10, 2014, 12:50:41 AM »
Juan announced his transfer but then changed his mind. I guess Deonte still has some time to reconsider; unless he and Wojo know it is not going to work.
I pray this is the case...Deonte should return if he can. Surely they can make it work?

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #270 on: December 10, 2014, 01:40:02 AM »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #271 on: December 10, 2014, 01:51:13 AM »
Would have liked to see them stay but won't lose any sleep with their departure. Wojo doesn't seem disturbed so it's likely for the best. The future is bright.

Death on call

LON

• All American
« Reply #272 on: December 10, 2014, 08:04:10 AM »

I'm done with it. No wait a minute...on second thought I just read this link on it  http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/285252111.html?page=1 and read John Dawson's fathers angle on it.

NOW I AM UPSET. 13,000 miles to come here and out of 41 other Universities and his dad is a coach himself of 37 years!?

Let me get out of here while I can now . . . that makes me look at things differently. So John did not transfer, he was asked to leave??? I dont know about that...

There's a lot of dumb in this.  The least of which is you thinking Clovis, NM is 13,000 miles from MKE.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #273 on: December 10, 2014, 08:08:10 AM »
I pray this is the case...Deonte should return if he can. Surely they can make it work?
There's no way it can work.  And don't call me Shirley.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #274 on: December 10, 2014, 08:08:40 AM »
That is bull because he played within the team framework at Milwaukee Vincent.

Vincent isn't regarded as a great coaching school. They get great athletes and usually have more talent than the teams on the other side of the court, but Burton had a chance to get great high school coaching when he went to Brewster Academy. He couldn't get off the bench and transferred back to Vincent. They haven't had great coaching there since Tom Diener left in 2008.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.