collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2017 Season  (Read 270440 times)

buckchuckler

• All American
Re: MLB 2017 Season
« Reply #1950 on: November 01, 2017, 08:09:51 AM »
What a reversal from game 5.  Game 7's rock.  The pitching parade is going  to be epic.  Could see Verlander and Hill.

And we will almost certainly see Keuchel and Kershaw.  Should be fun!

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1951 on: November 01, 2017, 08:15:15 AM »
Anyone who questions the baseball's slickness and tightness (i.e. "being juiced") just needs to watch the HRs hit last night. Those both looked like routine flyballs and both went several rows deep.

That said, tonight should be loads of fun...and, for this Cubs fan, WAY less exhausting than last year's Game 7!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1952 on: November 01, 2017, 10:03:37 AM »
Agreed.  I thought Pedersons (sp?) Was a routine fly off the end of the bat.  Then everybody tensed up.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1953 on: November 01, 2017, 10:27:07 AM »
Aaaaaand that's why I'm not a manager.

I HATE bunting. I would be one of those managers who almost never does it (except with a pitcher).

Taylor has not been an easy out all postseason. Plus, he can fly; in 274 career games, he has only grounded into 8 DP, none this postseason. I hate to give away that out.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1954 on: November 01, 2017, 12:19:12 PM »
I HATE bunting. I would be one of those managers who almost never does it (except with a pitcher).

Taylor has not been an easy out all postseason. Plus, he can fly; in 274 career games, he has only grounded into 8 DP, none this postseason. I hate to give away that out.

There have been numerous studies about bunting.  It greatly reduces your chances for multiple runs and slightly reduces you chances of scoring one run.  (Your odds of scoring a run with a runner on first and no outs are greater than your odds of scoring a run with a runner on second with one out.)  I agree use only for pitches and maybe some terrible hitters who are double play prone (like backup catchers or something).
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1955 on: November 01, 2017, 02:51:28 PM »
Anyone who questions the baseball's slickness and tightness (i.e. "being juiced") just needs to watch the HRs hit last night. Those both looked like routine flyballs and both went several rows deep.

That said, tonight should be loads of fun...and, for this Cubs fan, WAY less exhausting than last year's Game 7!

No. Watch Peterson's reaction. Looks like he knew he had a dinger.

Interesting, though that the ball is only juiced when they play in Houston. Players only hit the PEDs when they play there, as well.

Gotta laugh when I hear about all of the runs and HRs occurring. Lots of runs will score in a hitter's park. Not a lot of runs score in a pitcher's park.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #1956 on: November 01, 2017, 03:19:50 PM »
There have been numerous studies about bunting.  It greatly reduces your chances for multiple runs and slightly reduces you chances of scoring one run.  (Your odds of scoring a run with a runner on first and no outs are greater than your odds of scoring a run with a runner on second with one out.)  I agree use only for pitches and maybe some terrible hitters who are double play prone (like backup catchers or something).
+1

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1957 on: November 01, 2017, 04:00:01 PM »
+1

So unless I am reading the chart wrong, it looks like better odds of scoring 2nd and 3rd one out than 1st and 2nd none out.  That seems to make a case for bunting (at least in that case) and backup other similar data I have heard in the past.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1958 on: November 01, 2017, 05:11:35 PM »

Interesting, though that the ball is only juiced when they play in Houston. Players only hit the PEDs when they play there, as well.

Gotta laugh when I hear about all of the runs and HRs occurring. Lots of runs will score in a hitter's park. Not a lot of runs score in a pitcher's park.

Yeah, Pederson knew he got that right away.  And in the reverse case,  I think Seager (and I know I...)thought he had a 3 run homer on that SF to right. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1959 on: November 01, 2017, 05:32:51 PM »

So you would know better than the professionals who have played the sport their whole lives and are the ones actually using the baseballs?

I'm guessing both the Astros and the Dodgers, both of whom have said something's up with the baseballs, would have a much better idea as to whether something was different with the baseballs than you, someone who (I assume) has not had any experience with the baseballs they're using in the WS.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1960 on: November 01, 2017, 06:25:35 PM »
So you would know better than the professionals who have played the sport their whole lives and are the ones actually using the baseballs?

I'm guessing both the Astros and the Dodgers, both of whom have said something's up with the baseballs, would have a much better idea as to whether something was different with the baseballs than you, someone who (I assume) has not had any experience with the baseballs they're using in the WS.

Of course they're different, there's a gold world series logo on them.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1961 on: November 01, 2017, 06:50:10 PM »

Nope. But they are different as PTM pointed out.

So, the balls and players are juiced. Yet, the two teams are averaging only 3.5 runs a game at Dodger Stadium in the WS - where the average is about 4.5 per game. Plus, the park gives up more homers than the average stadium in MLB.

This is at a park that gives up more homers than the average stadium in MLB.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 06:56:13 PM by Jockey »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1962 on: November 01, 2017, 07:01:25 PM »
Nope. But they are different as PTM pointed out.

So, the balls and players are juiced. Yet, the two teams are averaging only 3.5 runs a game at Dodger Stadium in the WS - where the average is about 4.5 per game. Plus, the park gives up more homers than the average stadium in MLB.

This is at a park that gives up more homers than the average stadium in MLB.

Some issue that you can't use regular season park factors during the playoffs, the caliber of pitcher is much higher.

That would be a good research paper though, playoff ballpark factors, their regression and this year's ballpark factors

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1963 on: November 01, 2017, 09:21:54 PM »
So unless I am reading the chart wrong, it looks like better odds of scoring 2nd and 3rd one out than 1st and 2nd none out.  That seems to make a case for bunting (at least in that case) and backup other similar data I have heard in the past.

Which is why I don't go to some kind of chart as an all-occasion solution.

You know your hitters. You know who is up with two on and nobody out and who is following them and who is getting a good bat on the ball and who isn't. Turner could do no wrong in the first 2 rounds but he hasn't been able to hit his way out of a paper bag in the WS.

I've been on Roberts for his handling of his pitchers, but I totally believe he did the right thing there ... and the results showed it. I wouldn't even have thought of bunting Taylor there.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1964 on: November 01, 2017, 10:24:21 PM »
Which is why I don't go to some kind of chart as an all-occasion solution.

You know your hitters. You know who is up with two on and nobody out and who is following them and who is getting a good bat on the ball and who isn't. Turner could do no wrong in the first 2 rounds but he hasn't been able to hit his way out of a paper bag in the WS.

I've been on Roberts for his handling of his pitchers, but I totally believe he did the right thing there ... and the results showed it. I wouldn't even have thought of bunting Taylor there.

Yeah.  Definitely.  For me it was more about how Verlander was pitching than anything else.   If I were the manager I would have been thinking "we at least need to tie this game up".  But you are right about Taylor (his last AB not withstanding) he has been their toughest out.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1965 on: November 01, 2017, 10:35:56 PM »
I've been on the road all week, why didn't Kershaw start this game? Why would Darvish, who I believe didn't have a swing/miss in Game 3, start? I don't get it, Roberts should get some questions his way (unless I missed something obvious here).

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #1966 on: November 01, 2017, 10:39:10 PM »
I've been on the road all week, why didn't Kershaw start this game? Why would Darvish, who I believe didn't have a swing/miss in Game 3, start? I don't get it, Roberts should get some questions his way (unless I missed something obvious here).

He's on two days rest.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1967 on: November 01, 2017, 10:40:30 PM »

You didn't miss anything.  Apparently they had faith in Darvish as there was no talk of anyone else starting.  Quite the misstep.  Darvish couldn't handle the moment apparently.

By the way, I liked the gesture by Gurriel.  He did something terribly stupid, ignorant and insensitive, but I liked how he took the moment to make a very public apology.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 10:43:13 PM by buckchuckler »

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1968 on: November 01, 2017, 10:49:12 PM »
He's on two days rest.

It's game 7, everyone is a go. What's he resting for, his tee time at Riviera on Friday?

Just do what they ended up doing, start Kershaw, have him go 3, go from there.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1969 on: November 01, 2017, 11:01:44 PM »
Hat tip to the Astros.  Great World Series.  Great call SI. 

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1970 on: November 01, 2017, 11:20:03 PM »
In 2014....SI called it ....including putting the WS MVP on the cover.

I am beyond happy...words will come later
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1971 on: November 01, 2017, 11:30:07 PM »
Some issue that you can't use regular season park factors during the playoffs, the caliber of pitcher is much higher.

That would be a good research paper though, playoff ballpark factors, their regression and this year's ballpark factors

I agree as pitchers are used differently now in the post-season.

I was just making a point that Dodger Stafdium is a better than average park to hit HRs.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1972 on: November 01, 2017, 11:32:02 PM »

Agree 100%. Great games.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1973 on: November 02, 2017, 06:39:07 AM »
Reversing the SI cover jinx.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1974 on: November 02, 2017, 07:02:07 AM »

But it reduces greatly your chances of scoring more than one run.  You're also ignoring the fact that bunts are very often not successful.  The chart you refer to assumes the bunt was successful.  The scenario you described often ends up in failure (the lead runner is thrown out) or an 0-2 or 1-2 count on the batter, which lowers his batting average by over 100 points.  In general it is not a good idea.  In a few specific cases, it may be different.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

feedback