[Today at 05:37:28 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2017 Season  (Read 270420 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: MLB 2017 Season
« Reply #1925 on: October 30, 2017, 10:36:25 AM »
You're right about Morrow. In 5 pitches he gave up 3 runs on 3 hits (2 home runs, 1 double), and had a wild pitch the advanced a baserunner just for fun.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1926 on: October 30, 2017, 10:39:27 AM »
You're right about Morrow. In 5 pitches he gave up 3 runs on 3 hits (2 home runs, 1 double), and had a wild pitch the advanced a baserunner just for fun.

And he had not given up a home run during the entire regular season. 

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1927 on: October 30, 2017, 11:28:23 AM »
Players and balls both juiced.

I'm shocked you would say that ;D ;D

Interesting subject though. First part has been argued to death here.

Second part is more interesting. I do think balls may be wound slightly tighter, but the added velocity of pitchers may be an even bigger reason for the increase in HRs. Simply put, the faster a ball is thrown, the less chance it has to move as it crosses the plate. This is true for breaking balls as well as fastballs.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1928 on: October 30, 2017, 11:35:18 AM »
I'm shocked you would say that ;D ;D

Interesting subject though. First part has been argued to death here.

Second part is more interesting. I do think balls may be wound slightly tighter, but the added velocity of pitchers may be an even bigger reason for the increase in HRs. Simply put, the faster a ball is thrown, the less chance it has to move as it crosses the plate. This is true for breaking balls as well as fastballs.

Below is an interesting article on the topic. Players say the balls feel different and are slicker. Thus certain pitches, like a slider aren't having the same movement and being hit much harder than usual.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2017/10/29/world-series-baseballs-leather-justin-verlander-yu-darvish-ken-giles-kenley-jansen

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #1929 on: October 30, 2017, 11:38:31 AM »
This is why we love baseball!!!!

And on a much lesser subject, why we can't stand chicas.

I love, love, love baseball.  I thought Game 2 was fantastic, but last night started to be "too much."  At one point I felt like I was watching two people play a video game.  I'm too lazy to look it up, but I think there were 3-run HRs in the bottom of the 4th, top of 5th, and bottom of 5th.  I know both offenses are fantastic, but that was a little silly.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1930 on: October 30, 2017, 11:46:29 AM »
Below is an interesting article on the topic. Players say the balls feel different and are slicker. Thus certain pitches, like a slider aren't having the same movement and being hit much harder than usual.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2017/10/29/world-series-baseballs-leather-justin-verlander-yu-darvish-ken-giles-kenley-jansen

There may be some truth to this, but, these are the same pitchers and the same balls that featured in game 1.  Keuchel was off from the very start and Kershaw lost the strike zone in the 4th. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1931 on: October 30, 2017, 11:49:05 AM »
I love, love, love baseball.  I thought Game 2 was fantastic, but last night started to be "too much."  At one point I felt like I was watching two people play a video game.  I'm too lazy to look it up, but I think there were 3-run HRs in the bottom of the 4th, top of 5th, and bottom of 5th.  I know both offenses are fantastic, but that was a little silly.

Boy.  Nothing worse than 3-run homers.  I hate when games are exciting, back and forth, and entertaining as heck too. 

Don't get me wrong, I love a pitchers duel.  As I noted earlier game one was ideal for my baseball fandom, but I don't get how a game like last night's wasn't immensely enjoyable.  This series has featured 2 great picthers duels (1 and 4) 2 completely wild games (2 and 5) and one runaway win.  I really hope the Dodgers win game 6, just so we get a game 7 of this series. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1932 on: October 30, 2017, 11:50:44 AM »

I don't know if I agree or disagree. But there is clearly a lot more attention on a game/sport when scoring is like this. Which explains why sports have steered their leagues toward offenses more.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1933 on: October 30, 2017, 11:52:31 AM »
Verlander vs Hill on game 6.  I am guessing that Hill won't be pulled after 4 if he is pitching well.  Verlander will need to control his adrenaline and keep his pace slow.  Can get wound up and go too fast sometimes.  I think he does what he was brought to Houston to do and the Astros win.  Of course, I thought Kershaw was primed to donate, so who knows?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1934 on: October 30, 2017, 11:56:06 AM »
Verlander vs Hill on game 6.  I am guessing that Hill won't be pulled after 4 if he is pitching well.  Verlander will need to control his adrenaline and keep his pace slow.  Can get wound up and go too fast sometimes.  I think he does what he was brought to Houston to do and the Astros win.  Of course, I thought Kershaw was primed to donate, so who knows?

Well, Kershaw did kind of donate to the Astros.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1935 on: October 30, 2017, 11:56:14 AM »
This tweet is fantastic:

https://twitter.com/JoseCanseco/status/924866116630876161

The replies to that tweet are incredible.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1936 on: October 30, 2017, 12:20:04 PM »
Managers don't have the benefit of hindsight. If Maddon doesn't go with Lackey and his replacement bombs, he still gets ripped.  They are in a no win situation.  No one can predict what would have happened if the alternate approach was taken, it is impossible to know.

Lackey was a horrible decision for a multitude of reasons - it has nothing to do with hindsight. 

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1937 on: October 30, 2017, 12:55:08 PM »
My brother and I were very very lucky to have scored last minute tickets and to have been there last night. We met to watch the Texans play a fun NFL game that we lost but darn our new QB made that a great game. After a quick late 4th quarter lunch we headed to Minute Maid park and finally....got home around 2:30am. I am just now stirring...no work today, screw it...I am going to ride the high.

I can barely hear anything, I should be tired...but I am simply riding on adrenaline. This was the most intense, draining , and exciting MLB game I have ever seen. Simply Awesome!!! Not since 94-5 Rockets have I enjoyed seeing people so emotionally joined ...sports can join us all, without holdback or reservations...its beautiful.

BTW I guess the story will be the collapse of LA/Hou pitching... but in person...it looked like most of the pitchers were hitting spots and usually performing as expected...to me it looked like the hitters after 5 games are simply more familiar with what they are seeing...fewer are getting fooled. The back and forth was so dramatic, in person...well I am just emotionally spent. These are two great teams going toe to toe with neither giving in. I love my Stros but also totally respect and admire a top to bottom great Dodger club.

About one month ago we had the Noah like 50 inch rain/flooding of Hurricane Harvey. Its not forgotten ...but the spirit of Houstonians is fully restored...Houston Strong!! Thank you so very much....to our sports teams.

Go Stros

« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 01:02:13 PM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1938 on: October 30, 2017, 01:03:16 PM »
Well, Kershaw did kind of donate to the Astros.

Stupid fat fingers.   Dominate, not donate.   Sonuva......
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1939 on: October 30, 2017, 01:50:36 PM »

I also love, love. love baseball. But last night was more like a 12" slow pitch softball game than baseball. As long as it's the exception rather than the rule it's exciting (like last night), but a steady diet of 13-12 games wouldn't be my cup of Budweiser.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1940 on: October 31, 2017, 08:13:47 AM »
So now it is down to pitching.    Verlander vs Hill.    JV was made for this.   Hill shouldn't have been pulled after 4 innings in his last start.   Both will be relatively fresh.     If both leave after, say, 6 innings, the last 3 innings should be nothing but high drama.    Both bullpens are spent and both have been blown up.    Hinch can't/won't use his closer.    Roberts has overused his bullpen to the point that he has no idea who can get him an out.   If Hinch tries to make it work with JV and then McCullers and FAILS, his game 7 starter will be Morton on 3 days rest.   Roberts, if he wins, gets to run Darvish out again, who couldn't get out of the second inning in his last start.   Talk about a battle of attrition. 
  I'm glad I'm not managing.    God, I love baseball.   

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #1941 on: October 31, 2017, 10:51:08 AM »
So now it is down to pitching.    Verlander vs Hill.    JV was made for this.   Hill shouldn't have been pulled after 4 innings in his last start.   Both will be relatively fresh.     If both leave after, say, 6 innings, the last 3 innings should be nothing but high drama.    Both bullpens are spent and both have been blown up.    Hinch can't/won't use his closer.    Roberts has overused his bullpen to the point that he has no idea who can get him an out.   If Hinch tries to make it work with JV and then McCullers and FAILS, his game 7 starter will be Morton on 3 days rest.   Roberts, if he wins, gets to run Darvish out again, who couldn't get out of the second inning in his last start.   Talk about a battle of attrition. 
  I'm glad I'm not managing.    God, I love baseball.

+1. I really enjoy when these series come down to bullpen depth and the starters at the back end of the rotation. It more closely approximates the best team over a 162 game season. Sure there's certain legendary quality to watching Randy Johnson or Bumgarner basically win a series by himself, but much like 13-12 smashfests, its not what I'd order regularly.

That all being said, I don't think Verlander brings the legendary stuff tonight and wins it by himself. Win or lose, I think Houston's fortunes will ultimately hinge on Peacock. His versatility and reliability was also one of the most important revelations for the Astros all year long, so its fitting.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1942 on: October 31, 2017, 11:35:16 AM »
I have to think if the Astros are in position to win, it will be McCullers coming out of the pen. I don't think there is anyone else Hinch can trust.  This should be fun.

As for Verlander... I wouldn't be at all surprised if he dominates, but his career (small sample size alert!!!!) in the WS has not been good.  He has a 6.43 ERA in 4 starts.  Who knows what will happen. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1943 on: October 31, 2017, 07:04:44 PM »
I think Verlander comes up big and cements his bust in Cooperstown.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1944 on: October 31, 2017, 09:23:26 PM »
I know I am old school, but I would sure be bunting here...

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1945 on: October 31, 2017, 09:24:38 PM »
Aaaaaand that's why I'm not a manager.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1946 on: October 31, 2017, 09:25:58 PM »
How many pitches is Verlansder available for tonight?  120?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1947 on: October 31, 2017, 09:29:19 PM »
How many pitches is Verlansder available for tonight?  120?

At least.  If this was an American league park he wouldn't come out.  Hinch may choose to pinch hit for him.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1948 on: October 31, 2017, 09:42:01 PM »
At least.  If this was an American league park he wouldn't come out.  Hinch may choose to pinch hit for him.

Yup.  He's gone.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1949 on: November 01, 2017, 07:50:06 AM »
What a reversal from game 5.  Game 7's rock.  The pitching parade is going  to be epic.  Could see Verlander and Hill.

feedback