collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2017 Season  (Read 270471 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: MLB 2017 Season
« Reply #1875 on: October 27, 2017, 09:16:19 PM »

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1876 on: October 27, 2017, 09:30:32 PM »
Not true at all and the condescension towards Cubs fans not understanding what is going on is impressive.

How many articles have you read on the changes, the impetus behind them, and why Maddon answered the question about his staff the way he did?  I'm honestly curious.

None of the coaches that were let go were Maddon hires. The guys they've been replaced with are all very highly regarded.

Thinking Maddon isn't currently on the hot seat has nothing to do with being a Cubs fan.  There's zero chance he doesn't finish out his contract. Considering his age what happens after that is anyone's guess.

Comprehension would be your friend here as well, as I was careful to say his seat is warming up, not that he's on the hot seat necessarily.

To answer your question, honestly as you asked, probably half a dozen. I'm not sure why that matters.

I guess I'm wrong and there's nothing to see here

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1877 on: October 27, 2017, 10:03:34 PM »
Comprehension would be your friend here as well, as I was careful to say his seat is warming up, not that he's on the hot seat necessarily.

To answer your question, honestly as you asked, probably half a dozen. I'm not sure why that matters.

Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1878 on: October 27, 2017, 11:41:51 PM »
Love the Latino influence on MLB. They make the game fun again.

Larrusa is probably rolling over in his grave.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1879 on: October 28, 2017, 12:00:06 AM »
Larrusa is probably rolling over in his grave.

Doubtful...he has other issues to deal with....

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1880 on: October 28, 2017, 02:23:07 AM »

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #1881 on: October 28, 2017, 08:20:02 AM »
Maddon has two years left on his deal and unless he gets into significant disagreements with the front office between now and the end of next year, he's just going to get Girardi-ed.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #1882 on: October 28, 2017, 09:32:27 AM »
I don't think the cubs fire the manager with 3 straight nlcs appearances and the first world series in 108 years.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1883 on: October 28, 2017, 09:47:52 AM »
Maddon's seat is not warm, however I would not think any extension talks will be happening either.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1884 on: October 28, 2017, 03:33:07 PM »
As mentioned before, Maddon's seat isn't hot, but I do think the warming comments are fair. We Cubs fans celebrated the hell out of 2016, but how many would have been calling for Maddon's head on a spike if not for the extra-inning rally in Game 7? His timing of pulling Hendricks and subsequently Lester in that game, his management of Aroldis Chapman in the Series, there was plenty of reason to have doubts, but they all evaporated when the Cubs broke their 108-year-old duck.

I've always felt Maddon is a mad scientist type. When it works, it's a thing of genius, but just as often fans are left wondering exactly what he's thinking. I imagine there's some of that from management as well. Part of me is a bit disappointed the Cubs manager job isn't open now because I would love for them to make a run at Joe Girardi.

If the Cubs get back to the World Series next year, I'm sure all the pressure will go away, and even more so if they win another. That said, with this current crop of players in their prime, I'm sure management is hoping for more than one WS crown and if Maddon doesn't seem likely to deliver it or if 2016 proves to be a fluke, I could see him going away sooner rather than later. Most likely he survives to the end of his contract in 2019, but not renewing it at that point is certainly possible if that WS trophy remains alone at Wrigley.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1885 on: October 28, 2017, 07:14:28 PM »
As mentioned before, Maddon's seat isn't hot, but I do think the warming comments are fair. We Cubs fans celebrated the hell out of 2016, but how many would have been calling for Maddon's head on a spike if not for the extra-inning rally in Game 7? His timing of pulling Hendricks and subsequently Lester in that game, his management of Aroldis Chapman in the Series, there was plenty of reason to have doubts, but they all evaporated when the Cubs broke their 108-year-old duck.

I've always felt Maddon is a mad scientist type. When it works, it's a thing of genius, but just as often fans are left wondering exactly what he's thinking. I imagine there's some of that from management as well. Part of me is a bit disappointed the Cubs manager job isn't open now because I would love for them to make a run at Joe Girardi.

If the Cubs get back to the World Series next year, I'm sure all the pressure will go away, and even more so if they win another. That said, with this current crop of players in their prime, I'm sure management is hoping for more than one WS crown and if Maddon doesn't seem likely to deliver it or if 2016 proves to be a fluke, I could see him going away sooner rather than later. Most likely he survives to the end of his contract in 2019, but not renewing it at that point is certainly possible if that WS trophy remains alone at Wrigley.

Maddon was terrible in games 6 and 7 of the World Series. His decision to use Lackey in game 2 of the NLCS this year was horrendous. He certainly has his faults, as do all managers.  Epstein has already said the front office doesn't agree with all of his in-game decisions.

The Cubs have won more games than any team in the last three years to go along with a World Series and three straight NLCS appearances. I just don't see Maddon being on the hot seat following the 2018 season if the team doesn't make the World Series.  I just think that's unrealistic. It's possible 2018 could be a bit of a transition year depending on the moves that are made this winter.

The biggest question will be does Maddon enter 2019 as a lame duck. If he does, the possibility of him not returning increases quite a bit. I can also see a two or three year extension prior to that season if Maddon wants to keep managing as he is getting a bit older.  Or maybe he wants to finish out his contract and move into a different type of role.

One thing I know is the front office won't be influenced whatsoever by the fan base.

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #1886 on: October 28, 2017, 07:18:47 PM »
Wasn't Maddon's primary positive attribute that he worked well with a young team?  As opposed to Sveum who was considered a little too harsh?  Maybe as this team ages, Maddon may not end up being the best type of manager for them to succeed.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1887 on: October 28, 2017, 08:19:15 PM »
Wasn't Maddon's primary positive attribute that he worked well with a young team?  As opposed to Sveum who was considered a little too harsh?  Maybe as this team ages, Maddon may not end up being the best type of manager for them to succeed.

This.

At the time Maddon was absolutely the best hire because he did the exact same thing with a very young Rays team.

There are absolutely better in game managers, which is what the Cubs need now. Let Maddon's contract run out, give him a cushy front office job, and call it a day.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1888 on: October 28, 2017, 11:13:49 PM »
This.

At the time Maddon was absolutely the best hire because he did the exact same thing with a very young Rays team.

There are absolutely better in game managers, which is what the Cubs need now. Let Maddon's contract run out, give him a cushy front office job, and call it a day.

No front office job, let it run out really. But this point rings true, the manager will change as the talent matures

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #1889 on: October 29, 2017, 01:31:09 PM »

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #1890 on: October 29, 2017, 01:39:27 PM »
No doubt he used PEDs in his career.

Can you provide the proof that leads you to say no doubt?  I brought up Nolan Ryan because he was able to pitch well into his 40's with great stuff and velocity.  His last pitch, 98mph after he tore a ligament in his arm on the pitch before.  Was Ryan on PEDs?  You said it was before your time, it wasn't before my time. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1891 on: October 29, 2017, 01:42:44 PM »
Maddon was terrible in games 6 and 7 of the World Series. His decision to use Lackey in game 2 of the NLCS this year was horrendous. He certainly has his faults, as do all managers.  Epstein has already said the front office doesn't agree with all of his in-game decisions.

The Cubs have won more games than any team in the last three years to go along with a World Series and three straight NLCS appearances. I just don't see Maddon being on the hot seat following the 2018 season if the team doesn't make the World Series.  I just think that's unrealistic. It's possible 2018 could be a bit of a transition year depending on the moves that are made this winter.

The biggest question will be does Maddon enter 2019 as a lame duck. If he does, the possibility of him not returning increases quite a bit. I can also see a two or three year extension prior to that season if Maddon wants to keep managing as he is getting a bit older.  Or maybe he wants to finish out his contract and move into a different type of role.

One thing I know is the front office won't be influenced whatsoever by the fan base.

Again, no one is saying his seat is hot yet, but if they go out in the NLDS or NLCS in a similar non-competitive fashion to how the Dodgers handled them this year, I can see management considering their future, especially knowing he'd only have one year left on the contract.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1892 on: October 29, 2017, 03:30:39 PM »
I see Mr. Maxwell arrested for a gun charge last night.  Knee worthy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/10/29/as-catcher-bruce-maxwell-who-knelt-during-national-anthem-arrested-on-gun-charge/?utm_term=.8f63c23282b4

Yep.  If the charges end up being true I hope he is held accountable to the fullest extent of the law. The waiter he accused of refusing to serve him also called in and said he was a liar,  no idea who is telling the truth. Goes to show that every cause has some followers that are idiots.

It is interesting how many commenters are calling for him to be kicked out of the league.  Id be curious to see how many of those same commenters were calling for the jobs of other violent athletes.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1893 on: October 29, 2017, 03:33:29 PM »
I hope he is treated like every other athlete who does stupid stuff with a gun.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1894 on: October 29, 2017, 04:22:35 PM »
Again, no one is saying his seat is hot yet, but if they go out in the NLDS or NLCS in a similar non-competitive fashion to how the Dodgers handled them this year, I can see management considering their future, especially knowing he'd only have one year left on the contract.

I didn't say anyone said that. I just don't think he'll be on the hot seat after next season either.  We'll see what happens.

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #1895 on: October 29, 2017, 04:38:48 PM »

Managers don't have the benefit of hindsight. If Maddon doesn't go with Lackey and his replacement bombs, he still gets ripped.  They are in a no win situation.  No one can predict what would have happened if the alternate approach was taken, it is impossible to know.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1896 on: October 29, 2017, 06:25:29 PM »
I hope he is treated like every other athlete who does stupid stuff with a gun.   

So, after pullin’ da celebrity card, nothin’ happens to ‘im, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1897 on: October 29, 2017, 06:30:28 PM »

So, after pullin’ da celebrity card, nothin’ happens to ‘im, hey?

Probably.  I would hate to see someone advocating harsher treatment because of a political stance.   That's un-American.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #1898 on: October 29, 2017, 08:23:11 PM »
Yep.  If the charges end up being true I hope he is held accountable to the fullest extent of the law. The waiter he accused of refusing to serve him also called in and said he was a liar,  no idea who is telling the truth. Goes to show that every cause has some followers that are idiots.

It is interesting how many commenters are calling for him to be kicked out of the league.  Id be curious to see how many of those same commenters were calling for the jobs of other violent athletes.

When you say waiter, wasn't this a food delivery woman?  http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2741262-as-catcher-bruce-maxwell-reportedly-arrested-for-assault-with-deadly-weapon?ref=hvper.com

Which commenters?  Most of the fans I know are consistent on this stuff.  That doesn't mean all are or my sample size is representative, but violent athletes proven to be so (in a court of law), yes they should be dealt with harshly including potentially kicked out of their sport. 

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1899 on: October 29, 2017, 08:58:40 PM »
When you say waiter, wasn't this a food delivery woman?  http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2741262-as-catcher-bruce-maxwell-reportedly-arrested-for-assault-with-deadly-weapon?ref=hvper.com

Which commenters?  Most of the fans I know are consistent on this stuff.  That doesn't mean all are or my sample size is representative, but violent athletes proven to be so (in a court of law), yes they should be dealt with harshly including potentially kicked out of their sport.

He said a waiter refused him service due to the kneeling. There hasn't been anything that I've seen to back that up.

feedback