collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2017 Season  (Read 270487 times)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: MLB 2017 Season
« Reply #1350 on: September 22, 2017, 12:02:42 PM »
The collapse of the Dodgers has been quite astounding.  Good thing they built up that 25 game division lead or whatever it was. 

I have to admit I was rooting for the Angels to make the 2nd wild card for 2 reasons, first I wanted Trout back in the playoffs.  Secondly, they went for it and tried to get better to make the playoffs, where the Twins took the opposite route.  But alas, they really aren't that good (like most of the AL) and played to 4-6 over their last 10.  Technically they are still alive, but they aren't playing like it.

There's a lot of mediocre in the AL this season. The Angels have dropped 4 straight, the M's have dropped 6 straight, the Twins had lost 5 of 6 before last night. In the NL, the Rockies have dropped 4 straight to the Giants and Padres. I don't think this is what MLB was envisioning when they added the second Wild Card.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #1351 on: September 22, 2017, 12:10:43 PM »
I was surprised to see so many empty seats last night and so many graphics on the telecast about tickets still available for this weekend. The crowd was definitely pro-Cubs last night.

Is it possible that many Brewers fans don't want to go because there are so many "obnoxious Cubs fans" in the stadium?

I hope the Brewers don't start doing this. Its not my favorite look that the stadium is half full with Cubs fans, but its our reality. Given the geography, market size, and economics of the fanbases, its not something I feel overly embarrassed about as a Brewers fan. I wouldn't want the Brewers to jack up the prices for Cubs games and then not give MKE market fans first crack, but if its an open market and there are open seats, just gotta let the chips fall where they may.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1352 on: September 22, 2017, 12:29:46 PM »
These posts are the best.  "You're right.  I'm so much better than him.  I'm better than getting sucked in."  (But I continue to carry on.)

Lol.  If you want to be the bigger man have at it.  Me?  I enjoy seeing Cubs fans claiming they're so much smarter than everyone else by comparing hurricane relocations of a series to a manager wanting to get his team extra rest for the team's convenience and using the physical appearance of a person's face as proof of a lack of PED use.  It's awesome.  You two are definitely way smarter than me and very much the bigger men.  The difference between us is I have no problem acknowledging that.

Having said that:

Here's one of millions of Google searches you could do.  A guy who's so much smarter than me but can't figure out how to find why athletes might use HGH...

https://www.google.com/search?q=benefits+of+hgh+for+athletes&oq=benefits+of+hgh+for+athletes&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0j0i8i30k1.54798.55140.0.55528.4.4.0.0.0.0.115.417.1j3.4.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.4.411...0i7i30k1j0i8i7i30k1.0.K6ZdgPG-aX4

You didn't answer my question.  I want you to answer specifically how PEDs and PEDs alone transformed Arrieta from garbage into the "best pitcher in baseball".  What are the benefits and how did they directly apply to Arrieta to change his performance and entire career once he became a Cub. 

I don't want a link.  I want you to spell it out for me.  I'm open to having my mind changed despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary. 

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #1353 on: September 22, 2017, 12:30:15 PM »
There's a lot of mediocre in the AL this season. The Angels have dropped 4 straight, the M's have dropped 6 straight, the Twins had lost 5 of 6 before last night. In the NL, the Rockies have dropped 4 straight to the Giants and Padres. I don't think this is what MLB was envisioning when they added the second Wild Card.

Quality hasn't been great this year for teams competing for that second Wild Card, but I really like what its done for the balance of buyers/sellers at the deadline. Rockies, Brewers, Orioles, Royals, Angels, Mariners all made small buy-side moves, while the Cards, Twins and Rays made small sell-side deals, but probably were much more moderate than if the second Wild Card wasn't in play.  (I'm leaving out the Rangers, because they were fairly drastic sellers but are still somehow only 2.5 back).

Take out the second wildcard, and its feasible that most or all of those teams selling off pieces for whatever they can get.
Overall, the second Wild Card has significantly moderated the sellers market, which had become saturated in years' past, and dramatically reduced the return for top players (particularly rentals).  It was too easy for competitive teams to dramatically swing the competitive balance from the first 4 months of the season. Now, if you want to go for it, you've really got to trade quality prospects, and teams like the White Sox have been big time benefactors.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1354 on: September 22, 2017, 12:36:57 PM »
I love the fact that just six days after having their 22-game winning streak snapped, the Indians  once again have the longest winning streak in the majors.

I know I'm completely biased here, but this really is a fun team to watch.  I hope that they keep playing well and everything lines up just right for them to win the Series.  There are just so many factors that go into winning a championship, it takes a lot of luck.  Hopefully, luck will be on their side in the playoffs.

/It's hard to believe how much fun it was to be in Cleveland for that streak.
//Being present for the final game of the streak - a 10th inning comeback walk-off - was one of the top five sporting events I've ever seen in person.
///Just one game behind the Dodgers, now.  Let's go Tribe!
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1355 on: September 22, 2017, 12:47:10 PM »
I'm just embarrassed for him at this point.

We're embarrassed for all of you.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1356 on: September 22, 2017, 12:51:44 PM »
I hope the Brewers don't start doing this. Its not my favorite look that the stadium is half full with Cubs fans, but its our reality. Given the geography, market size, and economics of the fanbases, its not something I feel overly embarrassed about as a Brewers fan. I wouldn't want the Brewers to jack up the prices for Cubs games and then not give MKE market fans first crack, but if its an open market and there are open seats, just gotta let the chips fall where they may.

The Brewers did their fans an early crack at a lot of Cubs tickets this season. They did a discounted weekend presale. The only issue was that the email was sent out to anyone that has purchased from brewers.com. Then the passcode was up for grabs.

I actually cut back on Wrigley tickets this year and loaded up on Miller Park games because of this presale.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #1357 on: September 22, 2017, 02:00:37 PM »
The Brewers did their fans an early crack at a lot of Cubs tickets this season. They did a discounted weekend presale. The only issue was that the email was sent out to anyone that has purchased from brewers.com. Then the passcode was up for grabs.

I actually cut back on Wrigley tickets this year and loaded up on Miller Park games because of this presale.

Hmmm... stealing an opposing team's ticket code.  Where have I heard that before.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #1358 on: September 22, 2017, 02:26:36 PM »
"I used to get drawn in by him myself, but I've learned my lesson!  I'm a bigger, better man now!" (But I'll continue to go and find cute GIFs to share to show how much of a bigger man I am.)

Keep up the good work, MM!

For someone who said "I don't care about sports that much, I barley clapped when Marquette beat Nova" You sure as crap have some huge complex against the Chicago Cubs. News flash, the cubs are rivals with the Cards and the White Sox. Not some team from Milwaukee that can't fill their stadium on a night game in a division race with 3/4 of the attendees for the away team.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1359 on: September 22, 2017, 02:28:35 PM »
For someone who said "I don't care about sports that much, I barley clapped when Marquette beat Nova" You sure as crap have some huge complex against the Chicago Cubs. News flash, the cubs are rivals with the Cards and the White Sox. Not some team from Milwaukee that can't fill their stadium on a night game in a division race with 3/4 of the attendees for the away team.

Huh?  Don't care about sports that much?  Uhh, yeah, that was definitely never said lol.

But sure, let's roll with that one too!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #1360 on: September 22, 2017, 02:30:07 PM »
LOL

https://twitter.com/1057fmthefan/status/911217264166359040

The replies on that are almost as bad as Wades. Are Brewer fans just that dumb?

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #1361 on: September 22, 2017, 02:34:18 PM »

Aye, it happens, but remember in 2015 when the Cubs had 97 wins, had the third best record in MLB, and got the 2nd wildcard? It flip flops. Better to have it then not. (Though I'd like to see a three game series)

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #1362 on: September 22, 2017, 02:38:54 PM »
Hmmm... stealing an opposing team's ticket code.  Where have I heard that before.

The brewers aren't as bad as Depaul yet. They haven't called me asking if I was interested in buying tickets Vs the cubs yet. Like Depaul did last year with Marquette. When you start calling the opposing teams fans asking to buy tickets, you know you're in a dumpster fire.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1363 on: September 22, 2017, 02:42:43 PM »
The replies on that are almost as bad as Wades. Are Brewer fans just that dumb?

Says the guy who said a tag up was the best play in the history of the World Series.

But yeah, I'm sure all Tweets about Chicago sports are well thought out, well reasoned, intelligent, calm thoughts.

Good stuff as always.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #1364 on: September 22, 2017, 02:44:13 PM »
Says the guy who said a tag up was the best play in the history of the World Series.

But yeah, I'm sure all Tweets about Chicago sports are well thought out, well reasoned, intelligent, calm thoughts.

Good stuff as always.

"Best heads up play by a player" But lets be real.

Also can someone find wades post rant about him not caring about sports? It's in this thread somewhere.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1365 on: September 22, 2017, 02:55:33 PM »
Interesting to note that the all time record between the Cubs and Brewers is 167-160. Was very surprised when I learned that is was near .500. Brewers actually held the lead as recently as September 2015.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1366 on: September 22, 2017, 02:57:36 PM »

Also can someone find wades post rant about him not caring about sports? It's in this thread somewhere.

Cubs fans sure do love to ask people to do the leg work for the answers they want to find.

I hope you continue to look.  I would love to see it myself.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1367 on: September 22, 2017, 03:24:24 PM »
Ausmus out in Detroit. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1368 on: September 22, 2017, 03:41:20 PM »
Interesting to note that the all time record between the Cubs and Brewers is 167-160. Was very surprised when I learned that is was near .500. Brewers actually held the lead as recently as September 2015.

More surprising, the Cubs are 58 games over .500 against the Cardinals and are 6th in MLB history with a .513 winning percentage. That's oddly impressive considering this is a franchise that went 39 years between postseason appearances.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1369 on: September 22, 2017, 04:19:40 PM »
"Best heads up play by a player"

Yeah.  Not what you said.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1370 on: September 22, 2017, 04:28:42 PM »

Oh, okay.  I guess we're being real here...

You mean Chapman? He was trying to throw heat away from himself. Maddon made great moves in both games. Some people got upset he pitched Chapman so much in game 6 but it was an elimination game. You don't pull your best relief for pitching that has been absolutely shaky throughout the playoffs.

And game 7? Hendricks was never going to go past 5. He was routinely pulled even when he was doing a solid job during the regular season. Lester and Ross were always going to come into the game. Some bad luck where a 55 foot pitch bounced off a catchers mask made it look like a bad move. And Almora's pinch run? Best play in world series history.

But we're being real.  So you never said it was the best play in World Series history...

This stuff is so good.  Still waiting to see where I said I didn't really care about sports...

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1371 on: September 22, 2017, 04:40:01 PM »
With back to back last inning losses, the Brewers could really use some time to recharge.  Maybe they should consider calling today's game due to rain.

I'm sure the Cubs wouldn't object. No time to make it up, so that's one game closer to the division while also getting an extra day of rest.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1372 on: September 22, 2017, 04:47:23 PM »
Haven't you guys figured out that wades never gives an inch and responds every time?  So if you are tired of his responses, don't engage him.

wades is Ners.

Jake Arietta is Derrick Wilson.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1373 on: September 22, 2017, 05:03:34 PM »
I'm sure the Cubs wouldn't object. No time to make it up, so that's one game closer to the division while also getting an extra day of rest.

Lol.  Man this stuff is getting really good.  I'm all for people attempting to insult my intelligence.  I say stupid stuff all the time, most of the time to get a rise out of people (it evidently works) but sometimes I'm just plain dumb.

But wow, if Cubs fans are going to go all in on the "you can't be this stupid you dimwit!" or the "are you really this dumb?  I can't even respond to you anymore (only to respond 15 minutes later)" at least don't post "WTF stupid" posts right after each other.

You really think if the Cubs Tuesday game at St. Louis got rained out the MLB would just say, "Well, you're each playing 161 games this year!"  That is outstanding stuff.  (Although, with the way Joe Maddon goes about his business he might just have the Cubs "forget" that they had to make up the game and it might work out for him.)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 05:05:11 PM by QuentinsWorld »

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1374 on: September 22, 2017, 05:14:51 PM »
Lol.  Man this stuff is getting really good.  I'm all for people attempting to insult my intelligence.  I say stupid stuff all the time, most of the time to get a rise out of people (it evidently works) but sometimes I'm just plain dumb.

But wow, if Cubs fans are going to go all in on the "you can't be this stupid you dimwit!" or the "are you really this dumb?  I can't even respond to you anymore (only to respond 15 minutes later)" at least don't post "WTF stupid" posts right after each other.

You really think if the Cubs Tuesday game at St. Louis got rained out the MLB would just say, "Well, you're each playing 161 games this year!"  That is outstanding stuff.  (Although, with the way Joe Maddon goes about his business he might just have the Cubs "forget" that they had to make up the game and it might work out for him.)

Gotta love it when the guy that makes a tongue in cheek post is way too self absorbed to recognize the tongue in cheek response.  ;D ;D ;D

« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 05:45:18 PM by brewcity77 »

feedback