collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2017 Season  (Read 270476 times)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: MLB 2017 Season
« Reply #1150 on: September 15, 2017, 08:30:45 AM »
Y'all. We are going to have some really interesting baseball in the final month of the season. We've got 4 teams slugging it out for two spots in the playoffs. Reasons to cheer for all of them (except the Cardinals  ;D). Can y'all call a truce or something so we can talk some baseball?

Good call. Personally, I find wades' schtick amusing, especially since it's not actually a schtick. I'll do my best to refrain from engaging and hijacking the thread.

Back to baseball!

Bold move by the Cubs last night to allow a 22yo pitcher to make his MLB debut in the middle of a pennant race. He actually pitched better than his numbers would indicate and has a strong chance to be in the rotation at the start of 2018.

39 runs in 3 games against the Mets. Hopefully they can keep it going against StL. The Cubs are 5-1 against the Cards at Wrigley this season. It should be a fun series!

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1151 on: September 15, 2017, 08:47:28 AM »
You know, for me the beauty of baseball is the subtlety.  In today's modern fast paced society only the booming HR highlight gets any attention.  Lost forever are the days where that critical corner slider with the tying run on third or that incredible assist from Center gets enough attention.  I know the game wasn't close and wouldn't have changed.  But that's one of the best throws I have ever seen.

Or how about leading of the bottom of the 10th with an extraordinary (and maybe a little crazy) hustle play to stretch a single into a double.  Every highlight package I saw about last night's Tribe win showed Lindor's double off the wall, and Bruce's game-winning hit -- both of which were awesome.  But Ramirez's double to lead off the tenth was amazing!
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1152 on: September 15, 2017, 10:08:07 AM »
Or how about leading of the bottom of the 10th with an extraordinary (and maybe a little crazy) hustle play to stretch a single into a double.  Every highlight package I saw about last night's Tribe win showed Lindor's double off the wall, and Bruce's game-winning hit -- both of which were awesome.  But Ramirez's double to lead off the tenth was amazing!

Wow.  Amazing but risky as heck.  That's one of those plays that if you make out you catch it from the manager.  But when everything is going that well for the Tribe........

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1153 on: September 15, 2017, 10:14:50 AM »
Wow.  Amazing but risky as heck.  That's one of those plays that if you make out you catch it from the manager.  But when everything is going that well for the Tribe........

Absolutely.  I think the issue is that rounding first, Ramirez realized that nobody was really covering second.  The SS was being kind of lazy about it. So, Ramirez went for it.  I think the problem with the throw was that because the SS was out of position, the CF threw to where he was, instead of throwing to the bag.  If the throw had been right on the bag, Ramirez would have been out.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #1154 on: September 15, 2017, 10:19:47 AM »
Facts. I bet wades is a HUGE Ann Sather fan when in town.

We can all get a little heated at times, but there's no need to bash those cinnamon rolls.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1155 on: September 15, 2017, 11:06:40 AM »

FS1 Wraparound show - everybody went wild about Ramirez's hustle double.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1156 on: September 15, 2017, 11:11:49 AM »
For the sake of this thread can we just drop the Brewers/Cubs moving times debate? Between the NL Central race, NL Wild Card race, AL East race, and AL Wild Card race, and the Indians' streak, there are a lot of good MLB story lines right now. A lot of discussion to be had and it's devolved into a pointless pissing match.

Off my soapbox now. Big weekend for the Brewers. Huge series between STL and Chicago. Should be fun.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1157 on: September 15, 2017, 11:51:56 AM »
FS1 Wraparound show - everybody went wild about Ramirez's hustle double.

Great.  I missed that.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #1158 on: September 15, 2017, 11:53:00 AM »
For the sake of this thread can we just drop the Brewers/Cubs moving times debate? Between the NL Central race, NL Wild Card race, AL East race, and AL Wild Card race, and the Indians' streak, there are a lot of good MLB story lines right now. A lot of discussion to be had and it's devolved into a pointless pissing match.

Off my soapbox now. Big weekend for the Brewers. Huge series between STL and Chicago. Should be fun.

But it's not muscoop if we don't whine and bitch about some trivial matter instead of talking about the real issues.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #1159 on: September 15, 2017, 12:10:08 PM »
But it's not muscoop if we don't whine and bitch about some trivial matter instead of talking about the real issues.

The Cubs drafted Kaepernick in 2009. Why haven't they called him up yet? Is he being blackballed by MLB?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1160 on: September 15, 2017, 01:05:39 PM »

Reasonable request, of course, but to heck with it.

We are talented here on Scoop. We can whine, piss and enjoy baseball at the same time!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1161 on: September 15, 2017, 01:18:02 PM »
The Cubs drafted Kaepernick in 2009. Why haven't they called him up yet? Is he being blackballed by MLB?

And they got rid of Dexter Fowler and Aroldis Chapman in the off-season.  Hmmmm...

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1162 on: September 15, 2017, 02:50:35 PM »
Lackey and Contreras just got tossed after a BRUTAL missed called third strike.

2 on, 2 out, 2-2 breaking ball right down the middle, the batter (Martinez) was literally walking back to the dugout and no strike was called. Lackey and Maddon argued, the ump clearly knew he missed it or they both could have easily been tossed at that point. Next pitch - RBI single to center. Lackey goes nuts and gets tossed, followed by Contreras.

Only down 2-1 in the 5th, but not an ideal way to start a big series.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1163 on: September 15, 2017, 03:10:14 PM »
Brewers fans, what do we want in this series? Obviously, the Brewers have to win at least the series this weekend. The Cards to win the series 2-1?

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1164 on: September 15, 2017, 03:23:46 PM »
Brewers fans, what do we want in this series? Obviously, the Brewers have to win at least the series this weekend. The Cards to win the series 2-1?

I think that's right. Cards win 2-1 while Brewers sweep would be ideal.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1165 on: September 15, 2017, 03:28:12 PM »
It's really hard to cheer for the Cards but LET'S GET 'ER DONE!

Unfortunately the Cubs just busted this one wide open.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1166 on: September 15, 2017, 03:49:33 PM »

I think I'm actually pulling for Cubs to win 2-1. I think the NL Central will come down to who can win the head to head matchups. I trust the Brewers to win 3/4 or sweep the Cubs at home more than I do for them to win 2/3 or sweep the Cardinals on the road.

If Cubs go 2-1 and the Crew sweep the Fish than the Brewers are 2 back and the cards are 4 back. Win 3/4 at home against the Cubs and you just have to play them even the rest of the way to at least force a 1 game playoff.....as long as you don't get swept by the Redbirds.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1167 on: September 15, 2017, 04:11:18 PM »
Those ejections were awesome.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1168 on: September 15, 2017, 04:44:18 PM »
Those ejections were awesome.

Was Chicago's 7-run inning awesome, too?

(I have no horse in the race. Just enjoy having fun!)

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1169 on: September 15, 2017, 04:48:21 PM »
Was Chicago's 7-run inning awesome, too?

(I have no horse in the race. Just enjoy having fun!)

I haven't expected the Brewers in the Playoffs for a single day this season and still don't.  Wouldn't have if the Cubs had lost 2-1 today.  So the 7 run inning does nothing for me.

What does get me chuckling is seeing the Cubbies get all squirmy in the midst of what everyone thought would be year 2 of a a growing dynasty.  And that was as epic of a 3 year old temper tantrum as I've seen in a professional sporting event in my life.

But lets' not forget, Madden said he had absolutely no issue with the Marlins playing at Miller Park in a series that doesn't even involve his team.  What a guy!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1170 on: September 15, 2017, 04:59:38 PM »
I haven't expected the Brewers in the Playoffs for a single day this season and still don't.  Wouldn't have if the Cubs had lost 2-1 today.  So the 7 run inning does nothing for me.

What does get me chuckling is seeing the Cubbies get all squirmy in the midst of what everyone thought would be year 2 of a a growing dynasty.  And that was as epic of a 3 year old temper tantrum as I've seen in a professional sporting event in my life.

But lets' not forget, Madden said he had absolutely no issue with the Marlins playing at Miller Park in a series that doesn't even involve his team.  What a guy!

With the Dodgers apparently forgetting how to win and the Nationals trying to get healthy, the Cubs (and the DBacks, IMHO) have as good a chance as any to get back to the World Series. And if you get there, you have a legit chance to win it.

If I were a Cubbie fan, I'd be extremely optimistic about the team being on track for this to be Year 2 of a growing dynasty.

All the other stuff - on-field arguments, scheduling silliness, etc - is just day-to-day noise. And it's not even very loud noise. I was a big Yankees fan during the Bronx Zoo Era. THAT was loud!

My favorite Cubbie pitcher tantrum was when Ted Lilly gave up a 3-run homer in the NLDS against the DBacks 10 years ago and threw his glove to the ground. It was classic Tanner from the Bad News Bears!

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1171 on: September 15, 2017, 05:33:08 PM »

Brewers fan perspective: Joe Maddon is everyones favorite grandpa. Fun to listen to, even if he plays to the maverick motif more often than John McCain.

Sub-note, F*** Tony La Russa, just because.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1172 on: September 16, 2017, 03:49:13 AM »

"I love making fun of the Cubs failures but am completely unaffected by any of their success"  ::)

And squirmy? Yea, caring about your team in the midst of a division race is definitely a sign of insecurity. Cause winning back to back WS titles is simple, especially when you're projected to be a top team, cakewalk.

Also, let's not pretend Cubs fans really care for Lackey to begin with. Least fav Cub since Soriano

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #1173 on: September 16, 2017, 09:33:08 AM »
Twins up two on LAA for the final Wild Card spot in the Real League. Tick, tock... going to the game manana.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1174 on: September 16, 2017, 09:52:09 AM »
"I love making fun of the Cubs failures but am completely unaffected by any of their success"  ::)

And squirmy? Yea, caring about your team in the midst of a division race is definitely a sign of insecurity. Cause winning back to back WS titles is simple, especially when you're projected to be a top team, cakewalk.

Also, let's not pretend Cubs fans really care for Lackey to begin with. Least fav Cub since Soriano

Sounds like someone's squirming around a little bit.

feedback