collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2017 Season  (Read 270440 times)

robmufan

• All American
Re: MLB 2017 Season
« Reply #950 on: September 01, 2017, 12:22:53 PM »
Are the brewers going to point to this game, if the cubs win, and the brewers lose the division by 1 game, as the game that caused it? If not, then lets just all move on...

If so, then wow...

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #951 on: September 01, 2017, 12:25:15 PM »
Are the brewers going to point to this game, if the cubs win, and the brewers lose the division by 1 game, as the game that caused it? If not, then lets just all move on...

If so, then wow...

Which fan base brought this up?...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #952 on: September 01, 2017, 12:40:20 PM »

It's not unique the Cubs.  The Yankees have a 1:05 game this upcoming Monday in Baltimore after playing a night game this Sunday in New York.

That's an interesting one to bring up.  The Sunday game was originally scheduled for the afternoon, though one could argue that common sense would suggest ANY Red Sox-Yankees Sunday game will inevitably end up in the evening slot.

So it's a little unique from the Cubs situation in that it was originally scheduled to provide 24 hours between games on a travel day.  But if one  accepts the league's ability to put one team at a disadvantage by flexing a start time like that, why would they be willing to grant clemency to a team already in that spot?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #953 on: September 01, 2017, 12:45:15 PM »
That's an interesting one to bring up.  The Sunday game was originally scheduled for the afternoon, though one could argue that common sense would suggest ANY Red Sox-Yankees Sunday game will inevitably end up in the evening slot.

So it's a little unique from the Cubs situation in that it was originally scheduled to provide 24 hours between games on a travel day.  But if one  accepts the league's ability to put one team at a disadvantage by flexing a start time like that, why would they be willing to grant clemency to a team already in that spot?

Yep.  And the Orioles are playing a day game at home on Sunday.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #954 on: September 01, 2017, 12:45:27 PM »
Your first sentence is stated as a fact. You cannot possibly know if this is true or not.

You then go into opinion mode, which is what the first sentence really was.

As for wades ...

Shyte, man, your head must have exploded when the Cubs won the WS last year. How long did it take to clean all the brain guts from your ceiling!!!

Although I am not a Cubbie fan (have accused of being a Cubbie hater many times, but I'm not that either), I think I would have loved to have been a fly on your wall when you watched Game 7. The celebrating when Chapman blew the lead ... followed by the total despondency when the Cubbies actually won. Wow! Musta been something to behold.

I think I'm as passionate about my family as you are about your hatred for all things Cubbie, but I'm not really sure!

That's fair - I should have been more careful with the words I chose. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #955 on: September 01, 2017, 12:46:49 PM »
Your first sentence is stated as a fact. You cannot possibly know if this is true or not.

You then go into opinion mode, which is what the first sentence really was.

As for wades ...

Shyte, man, your head must have exploded when the Cubs won the WS last year. How long did it take to clean all the brain guts from your ceiling!!!

Although I am not a Cubbie fan (have accused of being a Cubbie hater many times, but I'm not that either), I think I would have loved to have been a fly on your wall when you watched Game 7. The celebrating when Chapman blew the lead ... followed by the total despondency when the Cubbies actually won. Wow! Musta been something to behold.

I think I'm as passionate about my family as you are about your hatred for all things Cubbie, but I'm not really sure!

I was playing basketball for about 85% of game 7 of the WS, so I'll take it as a compliment to my game that you would've liked to have been watching me play pickup basketball over watching game 7 of the WS.  I do think I have some game.  Fans are always welcome, so stop by any Monday or Wednesday night.

I did get home just in time to see the game tying homer.  I think I laughed and that was about it.  A few minutes into the rain delay I went upstairs and showered and the Cubs had scored by the time I got back to the TV.  Don't think being a fly on that wall would've been the greatest thing in the world, but I'm not here to judge.

I don't really get all that worked up watching sports.  Even when my favorite teams are doing well (or horribly).  Would I prefer that the Cubs (or Bears, or Bulls, or Blackhawks) not win a title?  Of course.  Am I going to make sure I'm watching and screaming for their opponent?  Unless they're playing my favorite team, not in the least bit.  I can't remember the last time I did more than a pretty tame clap in the Bradley Center while watching sports, and I hardly ever even do that.  I think I dropped an F bomb after the Packers loss in Seattle in the Playoffs a few years ago.  I think I may have yelled a "Yeeeahhh!" when MU beat Nova this past season.  Otherwise?  Sit there and enjoy the game.

Now when a Cubs fan jumps in on the Brewers being a whiny, petty group because they actually want to play the game when the game was scheduled to be played?  Sure I'll jump right on in on that fun.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 12:48:23 PM by QuentinsWorld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #956 on: September 01, 2017, 12:47:36 PM »

It's not unique the Cubs.  The Yankees have a 1:05 game this upcoming Monday in Baltimore after playing a night game this Sunday in New York.

Is the Sunday game an ESPN game? 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #957 on: September 01, 2017, 12:53:32 PM »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #958 on: September 01, 2017, 01:00:03 PM »

For the Cubs, this is their every week. They are the only ones dealing with these ordinances. The Yankees situation is different because Monday is a holiday. It's not like the Yankees are going somewhere that prohibits night games on Mondays.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #959 on: September 01, 2017, 01:08:21 PM »
So let the Cubs decide what time they want to play because their city won't let them play at night.  Makes sense.  Maybe more cities should buy into that.  "You can't play at night unless we give you an exception."  Then they can all just pick the start times of every home game.  Just give your opponent a week heads up.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #960 on: September 01, 2017, 01:11:55 PM »
For the Cubs, this is their every week.

That is simply NOT true.  When the Cubs' schedule was put together, there were only TWO instances of a night game, travel and day game.

The first is the weekend we are talking about.  The second is the last weekend of the year.

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/chc/downloads/y2017/2017-Cubs-Schedule.pdf

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #961 on: September 01, 2017, 01:14:48 PM »
For the Cubs, this is their every week. They are the only ones dealing with these ordinances. The Yankees situation is different because Monday is a holiday. It's not like the Yankees are going somewhere that prohibits night games on Mondays.

Except it isn't.  In the entire season, there are four instances (counting next Friday) where they start a home stand on a Friday.  The only other instance of this turnaround is at the end of the month, where a 6pm start in St. Louis on Thursday the 29th is followed by an afternoon game against the Reds at Wrigley.  The other two home stands are preceded by a day off on Thursday.

EDIT: Thanks, sultan.

Last year they had three home stands start on a Friday.  Zero of them were preceded by a Thursday game.

Not exactly an "every week" occurrence.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #962 on: September 01, 2017, 01:23:14 PM »
Again, the limitations the Cubs are under in regards to number of night games played and not being able to play regular season Friday and Saturday night games play a role in this. 

The city of Chicago has been very strict with the Cubs in terms of any deviations from the current rules.  If it were up to the Cubs, they would have night games the day after any getaway night game. 

The Cubs have already been asking about easing this very restriction for a while.  This is not something new.  The city agreeing to it certainly is. 

I don't think your 100m dash comparison holds water. 

All the words concerning the laws of the city of Chicago fall on deaf ears.  That's where they play.   I honestly don't see why it matters to this discussion.  There are rules everywhere that MLB teams have to play by.  Those laws have been know for years+.

Surely, the 90m dash example isn't perfect, but it's not that far off .. it's uniformly altering the standard or circumstances of a competition based on fatigue.  Checks some, not all boxes --  It undercuts the idea that being uniform in a competition's change is okie dokie since it impacts all equally.

That's a pretty weak analogy.

If Marquette won an NCAA Tournament game in Pittsburgh at 7pm then flew back to Milwaukee and had to play at noon the next day against a team coming off an off-day, would you have a problem with the tip-off to be moved back?

As a MU fan I would love the extra time so "wouldn't have a problem with it" .. but I imagine the opposing team would.    Exactly like the Cubs/Brewers in this situation.

Now, if I was the opposing coach of an NCAA team, would I allow more leeway than an MLB coach?  Yeah.  Different league, different advanced scheduling (months versus hours), etc.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #963 on: September 01, 2017, 01:28:31 PM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #964 on: September 01, 2017, 01:28:51 PM »
I was playing basketball for about 85% of game 7 of the WS, so I'll take it as a compliment to my game that you would've liked to have been watching me play pickup basketball over watching game 7 of the WS.  I do think I have some game.  Fans are always welcome, so stop by any Monday or Wednesday night.

I did get home just in time to see the game tying homer.  I think I laughed and that was about it.  A few minutes into the rain delay I went upstairs and showered and the Cubs had scored by the time I got back to the TV.  Don't think being a fly on that wall would've been the greatest thing in the world, but I'm not here to judge.

I don't really get all that worked up watching sports.  Even when my favorite teams are doing well (or horribly).  Would I prefer that the Cubs (or Bears, or Bulls, or Blackhawks) not win a title?  Of course.  Am I going to make sure I'm watching and screaming for their opponent?  Unless they're playing my favorite team, not in the least bit.  I can't remember the last time I did more than a pretty tame clap in the Bradley Center while watching sports, and I hardly ever even do that.  I think I dropped an F bomb after the Packers loss in Seattle in the Playoffs a few years ago.  I think I may have yelled a "Yeeeahhh!" when MU beat Nova this past season.  Otherwise?  Sit there and enjoy the game.

Now when a Cubs fan jumps in on the Brewers being a whiny, petty group because they actually want to play the game when the game was scheduled to be played?  Sure I'll jump right on in on that fun.

Interesting, wades.

If this were the only time you got very passionate about what our old friend willie woulda called your "hate woody" for the Cubbies, I'd say, "OK, yeah, he just didn't like his Brewers being called whiny." But let's be honest ... you go off on the Cubbies and their fans repeatedly here. Often get very worked up about 'em.

All that's OK. I mean, what else are the interwebs for? But to dismiss this as a one-off ... evidence would suggest otherwise.

I also didn't watch all of G7. Watched probably from the 7th inning on, and then did so via the DVR. (As I've gotten older, I have less and less patience for commercials, the time between pitches, pitching changes, batters scratchin' and spittin' between pitches, rain delays, halftime in basketball and football games, etc.)

I enjoyed the theater of it all, including a blown save by the guy who probably should have been in jail, and then moved on to my life.

Maybe one day I'll check you out on the court, wades. I'd enjoy seeing you dunk on Ners!

Later!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #965 on: September 01, 2017, 01:36:48 PM »
Interesting, wades.

If this were the only time you got very passionate about what our old friend willie woulda called your "hate woody" for the Cubbies, I'd say, "OK, yeah, he just didn't like his Brewers being called whiny." But let's be honest ... you go off on the Cubbies and their fans repeatedly here. Often get very worked up about 'em.

All that's OK. I mean, what else are the interwebs for? But to dismiss this as a one-off ... evidence would suggest otherwise.

I also didn't watch all of G7. Watched probably from the 7th inning on, and then did so via the DVR. (As I've gotten older, I have less and less patience for commercials, the time between pitches, pitching changes, batters scratchin' and spittin' between pitches, rain delays, halftime in basketball and football games, etc.)

I enjoyed the theater of it all, including a blown save by the guy who probably should have been in jail, and then moved on to my life.

Maybe one day I'll check you out on the court, wades. I'd enjoy seeing you dunk on Ners!

Later!

I'm just talking about my demeanor watching sports.  I love watching them, I love seeing my favorite teams win, I hope my least favorite teams lose, but I don't lose sleep on many games, especially games between teams I either don't like or don't care about.

I do love a good back and forth with any and all Chicago sports fans.  It definitely helps pass a work day.  Instances like these are exactly why it's so fun.  Chicago sports fans accuse the Brewers of being petty and whiny because they won't conform to their every request and simply play the game when the Cubs want it to be played, schedule be damned.  It's that kind of attitude that makes the city and its people unbearable sometimes.  "Despite how this event was scheduled, we see it more beneficial if we change it, and if you complain about it you're just a whiny, petty baby!"

Some people follow schedules.  Others think the world revolves around them and if you won't accommodate them as they please then you're the problem.  Different strokes for different folks.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #966 on: September 01, 2017, 01:41:41 PM »
Wades, let's just dream that the season ends for the Cubbies about like this:

MU82

• All American
« Reply #967 on: September 01, 2017, 01:45:24 PM »
Chicago sports fans accuse the Brewers of being petty and whiny because they won't conform to their every request and simply play the game when the Cubs want it to be played, schedule be damned. 

If the Brewers really were refusing to conform, they would refuse to play.

They would take the forfeit loss and act as a change agent to make sure MLB didn't let this happen again.

Saying, "I don't like this" but then acquiescing isn't the same as refusing to conform.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #968 on: September 01, 2017, 01:52:30 PM »
If the Brewers really were refusing to conform, they would refuse to play.

They would take the forfeit loss and act as a change agent to make sure MLB didn't let this happen again.

Saying, "I don't like this" but then acquiescing isn't the same as refusing to conform.

Well, actually, the Brewers are the ones who have to conform.  The Cubbies got their way.  They got the night game they wanted.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #969 on: September 01, 2017, 01:53:37 PM »
Wades, let's just dream that the season ends for the Cubbies about like this:

I'm game.  I'm not expecting it, but the fact that they're changing their schedule because they have to play us on short rest is pretty incredible given that a year ago the Brewers were looking about 3 years from even dreaming of being in contention in September and the Cubs were looking like a potential dynasty.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #970 on: September 01, 2017, 01:54:26 PM »
The makeup game for the Sun-out was a day game after the Brewers had a night game. I think that's one thing that ticked the Brewers off. Granted it's only an hour and a half drive, but they got into Chicago pretty late and had a day game the next day.

The Cubs had a home day game the day before if I remember right. Hopefully this situation ends with the Brewers winning 11-2.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #971 on: September 01, 2017, 02:09:49 PM »
I'm just talking about my demeanor watching sports.  I love watching them, I love seeing my favorite teams win, I hope my least favorite teams lose, but I don't lose sleep on many games, especially games between teams I either don't like or don't care about.

I do love a good back and forth with any and all Chicago sports fans.  It definitely helps pass a work day.  Instances like these are exactly why it's so fun.  Chicago sports fans accuse the Brewers of being petty and whiny because they won't conform to their every request and simply play the game when the Cubs want it to be played, schedule be damned.  It's that kind of attitude that makes the city and its people unbearable sometimes.  "Despite how this event was scheduled, we see it more beneficial if we change it, and if you complain about it you're just a whiny, petty baby!"

Some people follow schedules.  Others think the world revolves around them and if you won't accommodate them as they please then you're the problem.  Different strokes for different folks.

Honestly, if the situation was reversed, and the Brewers were doing this, as a Cubs fan I wouldn't care at all.  If the Cubs organization was whining about it I would think it was petty and in bad form.

I certainly don't think that the Cubs organization can't do any wrong.   

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #972 on: September 01, 2017, 02:13:51 PM »
If the Cubs were playing another team on the 8th I think they would have made the same request. 

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #973 on: September 01, 2017, 02:22:35 PM »
If the Cubs were playing another team on the 8th I think they would have made the same request.

True. And if the Cubs were 15 games out of first or 15 games up, they wouldn't have made the request.

Honestly, there's no reason to be upset with the Cubs on this one. Anyone who has an issue with the change should be upset with MLB for giving their approval.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #974 on: September 01, 2017, 02:30:43 PM »
I don't understand all the bickering. The MLB try their hardest to get the schedule correct and fair. Sometimes it doesn't work out. Like the game in question. However they were able to correct it. I don't see why everyone is angry about this.

feedback