[Today at 01:20:38 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[Today at 12:27:48 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by Nutty
[Today at 11:20:42 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:37:28 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2017 Season  (Read 270461 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: MLB 2017 Season
« Reply #875 on: August 31, 2017, 03:19:30 PM »
Think the Brewers have a better chance at catching Colorado than the Cubs, to be honest.

I think the Cubs are certainly better than the Rockies, but those seven games give the Brewers a little more control in terms of catching the Cubs. If the Brewers can win 5 of 7, I think they snag the division crown.  Will be a very interesting month of baseball. Brewers have surpassed any expectations I had for them at the beginning of the season. A playoff berth is not expected...but I won't be satisfied without one!

EDIT: Just peeked at the Cubs schedule. Besides the Brewers, the only team that the Cubs play who is in playoff contention is two games against the Rays (3.5 games back in the AL wild card). Probably not going to be a lot of losses for them left on the schedule so I may have to rethink my statement.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 03:24:35 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #876 on: August 31, 2017, 03:47:28 PM »
I think the Cubs are certainly better than the Rockies, but those seven games give the Brewers a little more control in terms of catching the Cubs. If the Brewers can win 5 of 7, I think they snag the division crown.  Will be a very interesting month of baseball. Brewers have surpassed any expectations I had for them at the beginning of the season. A playoff berth is not expected...but I won't be satisfied without one!

EDIT: Just peeked at the Cubs schedule. Besides the Brewers, the only team that the Cubs play who is in playoff contention is two games against the Rays (3.5 games back in the AL wild card). Probably not going to be a lot of losses for them left on the schedule so I may have to rethink my statement.

Cubs have it real easy down the stretch.  Let's see how the Crew does against the Nats this weekend.  And as fans, let's enjoy that they're playing with the big boys pretty well this year so all's good.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #877 on: August 31, 2017, 07:53:27 PM »
The Cubs changed a game vs. Milwaukee on Sept 8 to a 7:05 start from 1:20 because the Cubs play at night in Pittsburgh the day before. It'll be the first ever regular season Friday night game at Wrigley.

The Brewers are PO'd about the change even though they have Thursday off, it's not a get away day and MLB signed off on the deal despite the Brewers "vigorously objecting."

I could see the Brewers being upset if they played the night before and the start was moved up, but this? Come on. Get over the "rain out," fellas! You won that game. This type of petty stuff is a bad look for the organization.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 07:55:19 PM by MerrittsMustache »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #878 on: August 31, 2017, 08:32:47 PM »
The Cubs changed a game vs. Milwaukee on Sept 8 to a 7:05 start from 1:20 because the Cubs play at night in Pittsburgh the day before. It'll be the first ever regular season Friday night game at Wrigley.

The Brewers are PO'd about the change even though they have Thursday off, it's not a get away day and MLB signed off on the deal despite the Brewers "vigorously objecting."

I could see the Brewers being upset if they played the night before and the start was moved up, but this? Come on. Get over the "rain out," fellas! You won that game. This type of petty stuff is a bad look for the organization.

So why'd they have a 1:20 first pitch if they had a night game in Pittsburg the night before in the first place?  Seems like they could've, or, better, should have simply had it scheduled that way from the start?

I don't see why "this type of petty stuff is a bad look for the organization."  Typically when you schedule a baseball game and the sun is out you don't get a rainout, and when you schedule a game for 1:20 you don't move the game a week before the game for no reason other than it helps you get rest.  Why even have a schedule if the home team can simply change the time and date as they please?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #879 on: August 31, 2017, 09:01:14 PM »
So why'd they have a 1:20 first pitch if they had a night game in Pittsburg the night before in the first place?  Seems like they could've, or, better, should have simply had it scheduled that way from the start?

It goes against local laws so literally required city government approval. That's why.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #880 on: August 31, 2017, 09:16:22 PM »
It goes against local laws so literally required city government approval. That's why.

They also had to wait to make sure their Sunday game didn't get moved to the ESPN Sunday Night game, in which case the city would not have allowed them to move Friday's game.   

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #881 on: August 31, 2017, 09:20:33 PM »
So I'll ask again, what is the point of having a schedule if you can just change the dates and/or the times of games as the home team sees best for their competitive advantage, as multiple people involved in the changing of the start time sited?

There certainly is some pettiness going on here, but it's certainly not from the Brewers side.  Why wouldn't they be pissed?  The people who were involved in this decision literally said we're changing the start time because we want the Cubs to have the best opportunity to win the game in a pennant race.  Must be nice to just decide, hey, we're a week out from the game, I don't think the time it's scheduled at is best for our team and it really helps our opponent, so let's go ahead and get that changed.  Forget that we play with this type of schedule multiple times a year, the Brewers need to quit being so petty and complaining that we're just going to decide to change the scheduled start time a week before the game because it is in our advantage to do so.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #882 on: August 31, 2017, 10:21:57 PM »
So I'll ask again, what is the point of having a schedule if you can just change the dates and/or the times of games as the home team sees best for their competitive advantage, as multiple people involved in the changing of the start time sited?

There certainly is some pettiness going on here, but it's certainly not from the Brewers side.  Why wouldn't they be pissed?  The people who were involved in this decision literally said we're changing the start time because we want the Cubs to have the best opportunity to win the game in a pennant race.  Must be nice to just decide, hey, we're a week out from the game, I don't think the time it's scheduled at is best for our team and it really helps our opponent, so let's go ahead and get that changed.  Forget that we play with this type of schedule multiple times a year, the Brewers need to quit being so petty and complaining that we're just going to decide to change the scheduled start time a week before the game because it is in our advantage to do so.
Is it a competitive advantage or just getting them back to par with the rest of MLB?

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #883 on: August 31, 2017, 10:27:46 PM »
I know.  We get it.  No Cub could ever have possibly taken PEDs, corked a bat, etc.  Heck, Sammy Sosa, after speaking English just fine, legitimately just forgot how to speak English!

::)

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #884 on: August 31, 2017, 10:32:30 PM »

It has no impact on the Brewers whatsoever. And as explained to you by multiple people, there are city ordinances regarding Friday and Saturday regular season night games.

It's certainly not providing them a competitive advantage. It makes the Brewers sound like whiny babies.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #885 on: August 31, 2017, 10:33:07 PM »
Is it a competitive advantage or just getting them back to par with the rest of MLB?

The people involved in the decision making process certainly seem to be implying that it is to the Cubs advantage to move the start time back to a night game.  The Cubs manager, president of business operations, Chicago mayor, and an alderman all essentially (or directly) says it will help them in their chase for October.  So yeah, the Cubs clearly believe this helps them, so is it really shocking or petty that the Brewers think this hurts their chances?

Again, why have a schedule when you can just change the dates and/or times as those game times approach to give yourself the best chance of winning?

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #886 on: August 31, 2017, 10:38:31 PM »
The people involved in the decision making process certainly seem to be implying that it is to the Cubs advantage to move the start time back to a night game.  The Cubs manager, president of business operations, Chicago mayor, and an alderman all essentially (or directly) says it will help them in their chase for October.  So yeah, the Cubs clearly believe this helps them, so is it really shocking or petty that the Brewers think this hurts their chances?

Again, why have a schedule when you can just change the dates and/or times as those game times approach to give yourself the best chance of winning?
But it just gets them back to square with the Brewers.  I don't think there's anything unfair about it and doesn't put the Brewers at any disadvantage, so yes I think the Brewers are definitely being petty. If anything the Brewers were at an advantage because the Cubs are forced to play day games?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #887 on: August 31, 2017, 10:41:38 PM »
::)

Agreed.  That's what I'm saying.  Thank you.

It has no impact on the Brewers whatsoever. And as explained to you by multiple people, there are city ordinances regarding Friday and Saturday regular season night games.

It's certainly not providing them a competitive advantage. It makes the Brewers sound like whiny babies.

Well, the Cubs certainly think it has a big impact on their game with the Brewers or they wouldn't be changing the scheduled start time.  Here are a few quotes for you, ones that you have all read but are just trying to ignore so you can play up the, "Oh gosh look at those whiny baby Brewers again!  Why wouldn't they want to skip playing a game in Chicago when they're already in Chicago and come for a one game trip between road series and now move a start time a week before a game to help the Cubs get their proper rest (according to their own people)?!:

“We are glad to have been able to work together to address this issue and help our team and organization as we compete to play October baseball.”

“With the Cubs in the thick of the pennant race, we’re going to make sure the Cubs can focus on doing what they need to do: winning ballgames and bringing another World Series back to Chicago.”

"But it’s something that we’re all trying to work toward to make sure the team gets the proper rest.”

The people involved in this decision certainly seem to think this helps your beloved Cubbies compete.  If not, they're certainly going out of their way to make it sound like they do.  And there would be no reason to change the start time if that wasn't the case.

But sure, the Brewers should damn well just close their mouths and accommodate the Cubs and their requests no matter what they are.  Forget what the schedule says, the Cubs want to play on a different day.  You want to complain about it?  Man, what a bunch of whiny babies.  The Cubs want to move the start time back.  You want to complain?  The audacity to want to follow the scheduled start time and not let the Cubs simply start when they deem the best time for them to start.  Yeesh, what babies.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 10:52:51 PM by QuentinsWorld »

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #888 on: August 31, 2017, 10:46:09 PM »

1) The date of the game didn't change.

2) As people keep pointing out to you, the Cubs have limitations on night games, which is something no other MLB team has to deal with. Every other MLB team would have had this game scheduled for Friday night. The Cubs weren't allowed to do that and needed special permission from the mayor's office in order to move the start time. They weren't going to be granted that permission months ago.

3) The Brewers contend that they aren't upset about a potential "competitive advantage" for the Cubs. They just don't like the schedule being changed.

4) The Brewers are upset about the rain out from earlier which is why they're whining about this start time, which really doesn't affect them. That's why they seem petty.

5) I'd expect nothing less from you when it comes to your response to this situation.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #889 on: August 31, 2017, 10:47:52 PM »
But it just gets them back to square with the Brewers.  I don't think there's anything unfair about it and doesn't put the Brewers at any disadvantage, so yes I think the Brewers are definitely being petty. If anything the Brewers were at an advantage because the Cubs are forced to play day games?

Back to square?  Did the Brewers make the Cubs schedule for them?  Come on now.  This is honestly the argument?  "The Brewers are whining because the Cubs want to make up their own schedule."

This is a 162 game baseball season.  Guess what?  Sometimes teams have to play games against other teams that just had an off day while they had to play a game that prior day.  It happens.  This isn't unique to the Cubs.  And this isn't a one time situation.  This happens multiple times a year.  Why didn't the Cubbies change their Friday day game on August 4th when they finished up a series with the Diamondbacks the night of August 3rd while the Nationals had an off day August 3rd?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #890 on: August 31, 2017, 10:52:15 PM »
1) The date of the game didn't change.

2) As people keep pointing out to you, the Cubs have limitations on night games, which is something no other MLB team has to deal with. Every other MLB team would have had this game scheduled for Friday night. The Cubs weren't allowed to do that and needed special permission from the mayor's office in order to move the start time. They weren't going to be granted that permission months ago.

3) The Brewers contend that they aren't upset about a potential "competitive advantage" for the Cubs. They just don't like the schedule being changed.

4) The Brewers are upset about the rain out from earlier which is why they're whining about this start time, which really doesn't affect them. That's why they seem petty.

5) I'd expect nothing less from you when it comes to your response to this situation.

1) The game where the Brewers had to sit in Chicago in the sunlight and wait for the game to be cancelled because the Cubs were struggling did have the date changed.  The Cubs changed the date of the game as they saw best fit their interests.

2) So what is the point of a schedule when they can just change the star time a week before the game?

3) How do you know what the Brewers contend?  All that is said is that the Brewers are upset about the change of the scheduling and are talking to the MLB about it.

4) Of course the Brewers were upset about the rainout.  It was sunny and it made the Brewers stay in Chicago that day then head back to Chicago in between two series with different teams when they should've simply had an off day.  That was beyond ridiculous.  I'm genuinely curious how you got the Brewers front office phone systems tapped, because you seem to know a lot about the Brewers motivations and feelings that haven't been reported at all.

5) I'd expect nothing less from you when it comes to your response of this situation.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #891 on: August 31, 2017, 10:53:21 PM »
Back to square?  Did the Brewers make the Cubs schedule for them?  Come on now.  This is honestly the argument?  "The Brewers are whining because the Cubs want to make up their own schedule."

This is a 162 game baseball season.  Guess what?  Sometimes teams have to play games against other teams that just had an off day while they had to play a game that prior day.  It happens.  This isn't unique to the Cubs.  And this isn't a one time situation.  This happens multiple times a year.  Why didn't the Cubbies change their Friday day game on August 4th when they finished up a series with the Diamondbacks the night of August 3rd while the Nationals had an off day August 3rd?

This is the first time all season that the Cubs have had a home day game immediately following a road night game. The August 3 game was at home and at 1:20, not on the road at 7:00.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #892 on: August 31, 2017, 10:58:11 PM »
1) The game where the Brewers had to sit in Chicago in the sunlight and wait for the game to be cancelled because the Cubs were struggling did have the date changed.  The Cubs changed the date of the game as they saw best fit their interests.

2) So what is the point of a schedule when they can just change the star time a week before the game?

3) How do you know what the Brewers contend?  All that is said is that the Brewers are upset about the change of the scheduling and are talking to the MLB about it.

4) Of course the Brewers were upset about the rainout.  It was sunny and it made the Brewers stay in Chicago that day then head back to Chicago in between two series with different teams when they should've simply had an off day.  That was beyond ridiculous.  I'm genuinely curious how you got the Brewers front office phone systems tapped, because you seem to know a lot about the Brewers motivations and feelings that haven't been reported at all.

5) I'd expect nothing less from you when it comes to your response of this situation.

It's not at all unusual for game times to be changed when moved to national TV.

The rain out was 4 months ago. Move on!

I didn't tap the Brewers' phone lines. It's called the Internet.
https://www.brewcrewball.com/2017/8/31/16236916/milwaukee-brewers-cubs-game-on-september-8-moved-to-7-05-pm-start-milwaukee-brewers-are-not-happy

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #893 on: August 31, 2017, 11:10:02 PM »
It's not at all unusual for game times to be changed when moved to national TV.

The rain out was 4 months ago. Move on!

I didn't tap the Brewers' phone lines. It's called the Internet.
https://www.brewcrewball.com/2017/8/31/16236916/milwaukee-brewers-cubs-game-on-september-8-moved-to-7-05-pm-start-milwaukee-brewers-are-not-happy

I guess I must've missed that this game was moved to national television, my fault.

Lol again, where are you getting that the Brewers are upset because of a rainout game "4 months ago" (not quite but we'll go with it).  You must be lying that you don't have anything tapped to get that information.

So you say, "The Brewers contend that they aren't upset about a potential "competitive advantage" for the Cubs. They just don't like the schedule being changed." (your #3), then you tell me there's something called the internet when I ask you where you get your information from, and then you send a link that literally says, "#Brewers objected to Cubs changing Friday game to night because it gives them advantage after night game in Pittsburgh day before."  Like, what?!  That is literally almost word for word a direct contradiction to what you said.  You say they are just mad that the schedule is changed but not worried about a potential "competitive advantage" for the Cubs, but the article that you got this information from literally says they object because of the "advantage it gives them."  Hmm...  "It's about adhering to the schedule and not changing it for competitive reasons"...
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 11:12:33 PM by QuentinsWorld »

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #894 on: August 31, 2017, 11:14:20 PM »
I guess I must've missed that this game was moved to national television, my fault.

Lol again, where are you getting that the Brewers are upset because of a rainout game "4 months ago" (not quite but we'll go with it).  You must be lying that you don't have anything tapped to get that information.

So you say, "The Brewers contend that they aren't upset about a potential "competitive advantage" for the Cubs. They just don't like the schedule being changed." (your #3), then you tell me there's something called the internet when I ask you where you get your information from, and then you send a link that literally says, "#Brewers objected to Cubs changing Friday game to night because it gives them advantage after night game in Pittsburgh day before."  Like, what?!  That is literally almost word for word a direct contradiction to what you said.  You say they are just mad that the schedule is changed but not worried about a potential "competitive advantage" for the Cubs, but the article that you got this information from literally says they object because of the "advantage it gives them."  Hmm...  "It's about adhering to the schedule and not changing it for competitive reasons"...

Read the whole article, sport. Particularly Haurdicourt's tweets near the bottom.

"To rephrase earlier tweet, #Brewers did not say Cubs get advantage by switching to night."
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 11:20:23 PM by MerrittsMustache »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #895 on: August 31, 2017, 11:19:08 PM »
Read the whole article, sport. Particularly Haurdicourt's tweets near the bottom.

Where do you think the last quote is from, sport? Particularly Haurdricourt's tweets near the bottom. "It's about adhering to the schedule and not changing it for competitive reasons." The last 6 words are, once again, a direct contradiction to what you say. Sport.

Here's the next question that Cubbies fans will ignore. If this wasn't changed for competitive reasons then why was it changed at all?

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #896 on: August 31, 2017, 11:24:10 PM »
Where do you think the last quote is from, sport? Particularly Haurdricourt's tweets near the bottom. "It's about adhering to the schedule and not changing it for competitive reasons." The last 6 words are, once again, a direct contradiction to what you say. Sport.

Here's the next question that Cubbies fans will ignore. If this wasn't changed for competitive reasons then why was it changed at all?

You left out an important part of the tweet. You know, where he says "Brewers did not say Cubs get advantage by switching to night."

I'm sure everyone's sick of seeing this board overrun with me making valid, logical points and you being a complete and total buffoon.

I apologize to anyone who actually wanted to discuss baseball.

Good night!

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #897 on: August 31, 2017, 11:45:26 PM »
Agreed.  That's what I'm saying.  Thank you.

Well, the Cubs certainly think it has a big impact on their game with the Brewers or they wouldn't be changing the scheduled start time.  Here are a few quotes for you, ones that you have all read but are just trying to ignore so you can play up the, "Oh gosh look at those whiny baby Brewers again!  Why wouldn't they want to skip playing a game in Chicago when they're already in Chicago and come for a one game trip between road series and now move a start time a week before a game to help the Cubs get their proper rest (according to their own people)?!:

“We are glad to have been able to work together to address this issue and help our team and organization as we compete to play October baseball.”

“With the Cubs in the thick of the pennant race, we’re going to make sure the Cubs can focus on doing what they need to do: winning ballgames and bringing another World Series back to Chicago.”

"But it’s something that we’re all trying to work toward to make sure the team gets the proper rest.”

The people involved in this decision certainly seem to think this helps your beloved Cubbies compete.  If not, they're certainly going out of their way to make it sound like they do.  And there would be no reason to change the start time if that wasn't the case.

But sure, the Brewers should damn well just close their mouths and accommodate the Cubs and their requests no matter what they are.  Forget what the schedule says, the Cubs want to play on a different day.  You want to complain about it?  Man, what a bunch of whiny babies.  The Cubs want to move the start time back.  You want to complain?  The audacity to want to follow the scheduled start time and not let the Cubs simply start when they deem the best time for them to start.  Yeesh, what babies.

It has no impact on the Brewers whatsoever, genius.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #898 on: August 31, 2017, 11:48:24 PM »
This is the first time all season that the Cubs have had a home day game immediately following a road night game. The August 3 game was at home and at 1:20, not on the road at 7:00.

Wades is immune to facts and common sense when it comes to the Cubs.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #899 on: August 31, 2017, 11:51:57 PM »

It potentially gives the Cubs 6 hours more rest. It doesn't hurt the Brewers.

I don't think you know what "competitive advantage" actually means.