[Today at 01:20:38 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[Today at 12:27:48 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by Nutty
[Today at 11:20:42 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:37:28 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2017 Season  (Read 270462 times)

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: MLB 2017 Season
« Reply #750 on: August 12, 2017, 10:40:17 PM »
Damn it, Twins
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #751 on: August 12, 2017, 11:11:57 PM »
They also have an ace coming off an injury who while being historically good in the regular season has been significantly less so in the post season.  A 2/3 in Darvish who has little post season experience and has been awful this year, and then Maeda.

They are unreal, their streak has been beyond impressive, but I don't think they're the 27 Yankees just yet.

Assuming you are a Cub fan, you are awful optimistic about that junk heap of a team. They are tied for 1st with the worst Cardinal team in some time - a team with no closer that doesn't have a single position guy who would start for the Cubs. They are 2 games ahead of a Brewer team that was picked to win 75 games.

And they have a manager who has been way out-managed by Counsel and Hurdle and even out-managed by a guy like Matheny.

Don't make any WS plans yet.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #752 on: August 13, 2017, 09:11:30 AM »
Injury to Harper looked brutal. That'll hurt the Nationals

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #753 on: August 13, 2017, 10:13:48 AM »
Wow. Preliminary tests were incorrect. No torn ACL or PCL for Harper. Significant bone bruise. Hopeful to return this season. That was nasty. Very surprised there is no ligament damage.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #754 on: August 13, 2017, 10:19:25 AM »

Assuming you are a Cub fan, you are awful optimistic about that junk heap of a team. They are tied for 1st with the worst Cardinal team in some time - a team with no closer that doesn't have a single position guy who would start for the Cubs. They are 2 games ahead of a Brewer team that was picked to win 75 games.

And they have a manager who has been way out-managed by Counsel and Hurdle and even out-managed by a guy like Matheny.

NaCl

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #755 on: August 13, 2017, 10:47:09 AM »

Not once in that post did I mention the Cubs.  There are 3 other very good teams that will make the playoffs in the NL that could give the Dodgers a fight.  All I said was they weren't necessarily invincible and don't crown them yet.

Yeesh, project much?  Salty as hell is right.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #756 on: August 13, 2017, 12:21:58 PM »
Wow. Preliminary tests were incorrect. No torn ACL or PCL for Harper. Significant bone bruise. Hopeful to return this season. That was nasty. Very surprised there is no ligament damage.

Very glad to hear that, because that was even painful just to watch. To my knowledge, he hasn't had an MRI yet, and who knows what that will show.

As a fan of baseball, I want Bryce Harper healthy and contributing to a very good Nationals team in the postseason.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #757 on: August 13, 2017, 12:54:15 PM »
They also have an ace coming off an injury who while being historically good in the regular season has been significantly less so in the post season.  A 2/3 in Darvish who has little post season experience and has been awful this year, and then Maeda.

They are unreal, their streak has been beyond impressive, but I don't think they're the 27 Yankees just yet.

I mean, some of this is true, some is overly negative, but in reality, they have lost 6 games since the end of June.  They could play .500 ball the rest of the way, and set the all time record for wins.  So while they may not be a perfect team, they are as close as we have seen in a long time.  At least in the regular season.  Which is obviously not to say anything is guaranteed in the playoffs. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #758 on: August 14, 2017, 09:04:45 AM »
I mean, some of this is true, some is overly negative, but in reality, they have lost 6 games since the end of June.  They could play .500 ball the rest of the way, and set the all time record for wins.  So while they may not be a perfect team, they are as close as we have seen in a long time.  At least in the regular season.  Which is obviously not to say anything is guaranteed in the playoffs.

The Dodgers are 83-34 with 45 games remaining. If they go .500 (let's give them one game over since it's an odd number) they would win 106 games. That wouldn't be an all-time record for wins and wouldn't even be in the top-10.

If they play at the pace they've played all season, they would go 32-13 from here on out. That would be 115 wins, which still wouldn't be an all-time record for wins (116 by the 1906 Cubs and 2001 Mariners). As good as they've been, if they want the all-time record for wins, they have to play better than they have throughout the season.

And as you say, nothing is guaranteed in the playoffs. The 1906 Cubs and 2001 Mariners both failed to win the World Series.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #759 on: August 14, 2017, 09:36:03 AM »

If they play at the pace they've played all season, they would go 32-13 from here on out. That would be 115 wins, which still wouldn't be an all-time record for wins (116 by the 1906 Cubs and 2001 Mariners). As good as they've been, if they want the all-time record for wins, they have to play better than they have throughout the season.

I don't think they have to play "better" because many of their upcoming games will be against teams who have thrown in the towel. But I would be concerned that playing essentially meaningless games down the stretch might hurt their playoff preparation.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #760 on: August 14, 2017, 10:01:17 AM »
The Dodgers are 83-34 with 45 games remaining. If they go .500 (let's give them one game over since it's an odd number) they would win 106 games. That wouldn't be an all-time record for wins and wouldn't even be in the top-10.

And as you say, nothing is guaranteed in the playoffs. The 1906 Cubs and 2001 Mariners both failed to win the World Series.

Yes, sorry, hyperbole...

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #761 on: August 14, 2017, 05:00:24 PM »
I don't think they have to play "better" because many of their upcoming games will be against teams who have thrown in the towel. But I would be concerned that playing essentially meaningless games down the stretch might hurt their playoff preparation.

By the same token, they'll likely have thrown in the towel as well. No idea if they will get there, but I don't expect them to win the World Series. The closer they get to 116+, the less I expect they'll end up hoisting the trophy.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #762 on: August 14, 2017, 05:11:44 PM »
By the same token, they'll likely have thrown in the towel as well. No idea if they will get there, but I don't expect them to win the World Series. The closer they get to 116+, the less I expect they'll end up hoisting the trophy.

Maybe, but I would guess that a team chasing history would most likely keep its foot on the gas. With 8 teams left after the wild card games they are certainly less than 50/50 to win it all - but if Kershaw is 100% I wouldn't bet against them.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #763 on: August 14, 2017, 05:14:23 PM »

Assuming Roberts & Co. are smart enough to not go balls to the wall in an effort to get the record, why would one thing have anything to do with the other?

If he sets up the rotation properly, rests the bullpen and position players in the right spots, doesn't push anybody with even mild injuries, etc, but STILL wins 117 games, why would it impact the postseason one way or another?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #764 on: August 14, 2017, 05:21:24 PM »
Assuming Roberts & Co. are smart enough to not go balls to the wall in an effort to get the record, why would one thing have anything to do with the other?

If he sets up the rotation properly, rests the bullpen and position players in the right spots, doesn't push anybody with even mild injuries, etc, but STILL wins 117 games, why would it impact the postseason one way or another?

In theory, it shouldn't. But having watched teams like Golden State, New England, Kentucky basketball, the Mariners, and countless NHL President's Trophy winners go chasing regular season history only to come up short in the postseason, I really think the burden of history is a lot heavier than it logically should be. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #765 on: August 14, 2017, 10:29:14 PM »
In theory, it shouldn't. But having watched teams like Golden State, New England, Kentucky basketball, the Mariners, and countless NHL President's Trophy winners go chasing regular season history only to come up short in the postseason, I really think the burden of history is a lot heavier than it logically should be.

Reasonable point.

But the truly great teams - the 1995-96 Bulls, the 1972 Dolphins, a few of the great Yankees teams, several of the great Canadiens teams, etc - seem capable of delivering in the postseason after record-setting or big-time regular seasons.

Then again, I guess the other teams would have been "truly great" if they didn't succumb to the burden of history!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #766 on: August 14, 2017, 10:52:15 PM »

I agree totally re Golden State. The Cavs coming back from down 3-1 against the "greatest" regular season team in NBA history was an upset for the ages.

The other examples don't work for me. In hockey upsets are extremely common in the playoffs. New England and Kentucky lost 1 game, not a series. Finally, Seattle's run differential wasn't even the best in the American League the year they won 116 - their record using other metrics was a bit of a fluke.

All that said, a healthy Washington team will be very tough and the Cubs are the defending champs. The AL champs won't be pushovers either.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #767 on: August 14, 2017, 11:29:02 PM »
I agree totally re Golden State. The Cavs coming back from down 3-1 against the "greatest" regular season team in NBA history was an upset for the ages.

The other examples don't work for me. In hockey upsets are extremely common in the playoffs. New England and Kentucky lost 1 game, not a series. Finally, Seattle's run differential wasn't even the best in the American League the year they won 116 - their record using other metrics was a bit of a fluke.

All that said, a healthy Washington team will be very tough and the Cubs are the defending champs. The AL champs won't be pushovers either.

And GS had a 75% healthy Steph Curry, had the NBA find a convenient way to extend the series beyond 5 games, and then had their starting C and only rim defender go out for the rest of the series.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #768 on: August 15, 2017, 09:12:26 AM »
And GS had a 75% healthy Steph Curry, had the NBA find a convenient way to extend the series beyond 5 games, and then had their starting C and only rim defender go out for the rest of the series.

::)

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #769 on: August 15, 2017, 09:39:46 AM »
Finally, Seattle's run differential wasn't even the best in the American League the year they won 116 - their record using other metrics was a bit of a fluke.

I think it's one of the highest of all-time, and certainly led MLB.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/standings?season=2001

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #770 on: August 15, 2017, 09:45:19 AM »
Seattle also lost to an experienced team that had won four of the previous five World Series.  I don't recall a lot of people thinking that it was a enormous upset.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #771 on: August 15, 2017, 09:50:48 AM »
I think it's one of the highest of all-time, and certainly led MLB.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/standings?season=2001

2nd best per game run differential since 1942, just behind the 1998 Yankees.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #772 on: August 15, 2017, 12:15:29 PM »
Stanton cleared waivers.  The Marlins might be wise to sell high and try to move while he is healthy and having an outstanding season.  Still 10 years and almost $300 million left on his deal, though. 

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #773 on: August 15, 2017, 02:06:30 PM »
Stanton cleared waivers.  The Marlins might be wise to sell high and try to move while he is healthy and having an outstanding season.  Still 10 years and almost $300 million left on his deal, though.

That would be amazing, and I agree they'd be smart to see if a big-market team is willing to take on that contract AND part with some major young talent. But with the impending sale, does anyone within the organization actually have the necessary authority to pull the trigger on that kind of move?

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #774 on: August 15, 2017, 02:11:33 PM »
That would be amazing, and I agree they'd be smart to see if a big-market team is willing to take on that contract AND part with some major young talent. But with the impending sale, does anyone within the organization actually have the necessary authority to pull the trigger on that kind of move?

My understanding is papers have been signed in regards to the sale so maybe that's enough if they get the new ownership's blessing. 

feedback