[Today at 10:46:19 AM]

Welcome Jack Anderson! by Viper
[Today at 10:46:03 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:37:28 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2017 Season  (Read 270436 times)

jsglow

• All American
Re: MLB 2017 Season
« Reply #450 on: July 07, 2017, 09:18:26 AM »
Interesting article on 538 about the Cubs having one of the worst championship hangovers ever, especially in the modern era. I'm throwing out the '97 Marlins everyone must go team.

It is really amazing to watch.  Hard to argue that they're anything better than mediocre right now.  But the chill of September is still a long way off.

I think the Crew is really hurt by Anderson's injury.  But if Suter pitches another gem in NYC they just might be a team with destiny smiling on them. 2 out of 3 this weekend would be very nice.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #451 on: July 07, 2017, 10:02:25 AM »
It is really amazing to watch.  Hard to argue that they're anything better than mediocre right now.  But the chill of September is still a long way off.

I think the Crew is really hurt by Anderson's injury.  But if Suter pitches another gem in NYC they just might be a team with destiny smiling on them. 2 out of 3 this weekend would be very nice.

I think by Aug 15th, we'll see if the Brewers have staying power, and if the Cubs have enough to get out of mediocrity.

Both teams coincide with brutal schedule stretches from July 25th-Aug 13th. Cubs go @MIL, AZ, WAS, @SF, @AZ. Brewers go @WAS, Cubs, STL, @TB, @MIN, MIN. Back third of August is really tough for the Brewers as well.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #452 on: July 07, 2017, 10:15:37 AM »
I think by Aug 15th, we'll see if the Brewers have staying power, and if the Cubs have enough to get out of mediocrity.

Both teams coincide with brutal schedule stretches from July 25th-Aug 13th. Cubs go @MIL, AZ, WAS, @SF, @AZ. Brewers go @WAS, Cubs, STL, @TB, @MIN, MIN. Back third of August is really tough for the Brewers as well.

One of the main reasons they should probably be sellers at the deadline.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #453 on: July 07, 2017, 10:21:30 AM »
The Brewers are not going to be sellers.  Rumors are they are looking at buying pitching.

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/883315304088076288

They are 4.5 games up in the division and only two back of the last wildcard place.  You can't sell in that position.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #454 on: July 07, 2017, 10:25:02 AM »

Who do they have to sell? No one's taking Braun. Garza has the only expiring contract and he could be moved in late August if they somehow fall out of the race by then. The package they'd get back for him isn't going to be all that overwhelming anyway. Stay the course and see how it plays out. Honestly, despite their talent, the Cubs have given no indication that they're about to get hot and go on a run.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #455 on: July 07, 2017, 11:28:25 AM »

Not being a buyer is one thing.  I think fans might be a tad upset if they were sellers approaching 7/31 assuming they are still actively in the race.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #456 on: July 07, 2017, 12:04:48 PM »
Who do they have to sell? No one's taking Braun. Garza has the only expiring contract and he could be moved in late August if they somehow fall out of the race by then. The package they'd get back for him isn't going to be all that overwhelming anyway. Stay the course and see how it plays out. Honestly, despite their talent, the Cubs have given no indication that they're about to get hot and go on a run.

I think there is a team out west you could package a deal to get Braun off the books and then I think Shaw, Thames, and Garza are all going to be made available for the correct offering.

At the end of the day, I think my statement was too flippant....I think they are definitely not buyers (basically they are acting like they are as a bluff to increasing offers should they choose to sell) and while they definitely aren't sellers, they are going to lean that way.

It's fair to say, if they are up 4.5 or more games at the end of the month then they stand pat.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #457 on: July 07, 2017, 12:29:25 PM »
Even with Braun's salary, the Brewers have the lowest payroll. They had a low payroll the year before too. It's not imperative they trade him.

The tail end of that contract may be worse, but with all the money they are saving now, they could raise the payroll above what it had been before the rebuild. Mark A. said they'd be using the money saved for when they are a contender.

Any trade will likely be for someone with control going forward. Prospects are still unreliable to contribute. Mat Gamel was untouchable at one point and LaPorta was the centerpiece of the Sabathia trade. If they get Gray or Quintana, and aren't in it in two years, they can trade them for prospects at the deadline.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #458 on: July 07, 2017, 12:32:50 PM »
It would take a king's ransom to get Shaw.  I don't see a cleanup hitting, 27 year old 3rd baseman, with years of control left being shopped.

Thames maybe if it's a stellar offer.  Aguilar can play first.  But Thames has a pretty cheap contract too.  Probably a slim possibility.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #459 on: July 07, 2017, 12:36:20 PM »
Even with Braun's salary, the Brewers have the lowest payroll. They had a low payroll the year before too. It's not imperative they trade him.

The tail end of that contract may be worse, but with all the money they are saving now, they could raise the payroll above what it had been before the rebuild. Mark A. said they'd be using the money saved for when they are a contender.

Any trade will likely be for someone with control going forward. Prospects are still unreliable to contribute. Mat Gamel was untouchable at one point and LaPorta was the centerpiece of the Sabathia trade. If they get Gray or Quintana, and aren't in it in two years, they can trade them for prospects at the deadline.

Right.  Quintana has a completely reasonable contract and Gray is entering his Arb 2 and 3 years. 

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #460 on: July 07, 2017, 12:49:23 PM »
Francona won't manage the All-Star game due to a heart procedure.  Wishing him well; he's one of MLB's all-time good guys.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #461 on: July 07, 2017, 01:14:59 PM »
Assuming disaster doesn't strike over the next few weeks, the Brewers won't be selling. Keep in mind, they start off the 2nd half of the season with 10 games against Pennsylvania teams. They could easily go 8-2 in that stretch likely stretching their lead in the division. Fans would be none too happy if management tried to sell off significant pieces with a hefty lead in the division. The Brewers aren't the Cardinals. Making the postseason is a huge accomplishment for the franchise and something very meaningful for the fanbase. They don't have to sell just because they aren't likely getting past the NL West in the postseason.

That being said, I don't see them buying either. Maybe another arm for a reasonable price. Or maybe they will go for a guy with multiple years like Quintana like Dish suggested. With the big fish sniffing around I don't see the price being low enough but you never know.

The only guys I could see them unloading is Braun (doubtful with his contract and would require a king's ransom in return) or Garza (who isn't going to get you much of anything). I don't think they deal Thames and I would be shocked if they dealt Shaw. They've got some nice young pieces under team control for a while. Stay the course.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #462 on: July 07, 2017, 02:54:58 PM »
I agree with TAMU.  Winning the division is a huge accomplishment for a team that has rarely reached the postseason and cannot be taken lightly.  But I wouldn't materially deviate from the long term plan to achieve it.  That said, Stearns looks like the real deal as most of his moves have been outstanding.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #463 on: July 07, 2017, 03:34:06 PM »
I agree with TAMU.  Winning the division is a huge accomplishment for a team that has rarely reached the postseason and cannot be taken lightly.  But I wouldn't materially deviate from the long term plan to achieve it.  That said, Stearns looks like the real deal as most of his moves have been outstanding.

Add me to the chorus that the Brewers can't sell if they're in first place. In addition to the X's and O's, it would demoralize the young guys that are contributing earlier than anticipated, and potentially sour them on the org a bit. Not worth it.

But I still wouldn't be a fan of even minor deals for players that don't have multiple years of control left. Back in '14, the Brewers dealt for Gerardo Parra, and sent a package that included Mitch Haniger. Haniger is looking like he's going to be a pretty good player, but what takes the sting out of that is that Parra had another year of arb left, and then the Brewers turned around and dealt him for Zach Davies in 2015.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #464 on: July 07, 2017, 05:50:57 PM »
Stay the course. If I could get a starting pitcher with multiple years of control for a top OF prospect (Brinson or Ray) and another prospect in the Brewers top 30s, I do it. Our farm system could absorb that. But the Sox are asking for the moon for the luxury of 3.5 cheap years of Quintana. I don't want Gray for a top prospect. Oakland's ballpark is much friendlier than Miller Park.

I'd much rather them sit it out entirely unless someone wants to sell the farm for Thames or get us out from under Braun. I'd love a lefty reliever, but our own trades from last year should tell us they will be pricey.

Late night edit:
we are buyers. This team has to have one of the deepest benches in baseball right now. Feels like someone will step up each night, whether it's a backup or not. I know the Yankees are struggling, but this was a hell of a game.

On another note, I think we found our lefty pitcher, whether it's out of the pen or starting. Holy crap
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 10:45:32 PM by GB Warrior »

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #465 on: July 07, 2017, 09:43:39 PM »
Jesus!
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #466 on: July 07, 2017, 11:12:32 PM »
Stay the course. If I could get a starting pitcher with multiple years of control for a top OF prospect (Brinson or Ray) and another prospect in the Brewers top 30s, I do it. Our farm system could absorb that. But the Sox are asking for the moon for the luxury of 3.5 cheap years of Quintana. I don't want Gray for a top prospect. Oakland's ballpark is much friendlier than Miller Park.

I'd much rather them sit it out entirely unless someone wants to sell the farm for Thames or get us out from under Braun. I'd love a lefty reliever, but our own trades from last year should tell us they will be pricey.

Late night edit:
we are buyers. This team has to have one of the deepest benches in baseball right now. Feels like someone will step up each night, whether it's a backup or not. I know the Yankees are struggling, but this was a hell of a game.

On another note, I think we found our lefty pitcher, whether it's out of the pen or starting. Holy crap

Let's hope starting after this season.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #467 on: July 08, 2017, 10:20:14 AM »
Let's hope starting after this season.

He might be starting this season.  Helluva outing last night.  Perfect spot, perfect timing. But right now, don't mess too much with happy.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #468 on: July 08, 2017, 10:22:12 AM »
Read today that if the Brewers are buying, it will be for players that fit in their plans this year and beyond.  No one year rentals.  Good approach.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #469 on: July 08, 2017, 10:24:07 AM »
So what the Brewers have said publicly is that they won't be 'renters'.  That makes 100% sense to me.  Now multiple years of control for a players where internal duplication might exist?  Another story.

Ha, sorry Sultan. Beat me by a second.  :)

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #470 on: July 08, 2017, 11:17:06 AM »
I'm not sure if it's a lucky streak, or he's that good at identifying talent, but Stearns ability to find talent off the scrap heap has been incredible. That gives a little more freedom to trade prospects.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #471 on: July 09, 2017, 04:31:32 PM »
By the all star break the cards and cubs will be on top. The Brewers will be out of the picture. Just like every year

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #472 on: July 10, 2017, 08:19:35 AM »
If the Brewers play ~.500 baseball the rest of the way, the Cubs (and Cards) will need to go at least 42-32 to catch them for the division lead at season's end.

If the Brewers continue at their current pace (.549 win%), the Cubs (and Cards) would need to go 46-28 to catch them at season's end.

It's the Brewers' division to lose at this point.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #473 on: July 10, 2017, 09:33:30 AM »
Saw this on ESPN about the brewers.

Looking ahead, they have the third-easiest schedule in the second half.

Not sure what that's based on and its for the whole mlb or just the nl....but barring disaster in the next few weeks the Brewers shouldn't be sellers at the trade deadline.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #474 on: July 10, 2017, 09:56:08 AM »
And its been brought up before, but even if they were 41-50, there's really no one they would need to sell off this year, because just about everyone has multiple more years of control. Sure you can get a bigger package when you're trading more controllable players, but it seems the decreasing marginal utility of each additional year of control often brings less return for the selling team in those deals. 

This would be a much tougher spot if Feliz had worked out or they had other relievers or positional reclamation projects having good seasons on one year deals, and faced getting nothing but compensatory picks for those guys. But that's not really the case.