[Today at 01:20:38 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[Today at 12:27:48 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by Nutty
[Today at 11:20:42 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:37:28 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2017 Season  (Read 270460 times)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: MLB 2017 Season
« Reply #425 on: July 05, 2017, 10:07:29 AM »
I've watched enough Cubs games to agree somewhat.   Another 30-something starter may not be the answer.     Avila as a back up catcher/left handed bat off of the bench with playoff experience couldn't hurt.    To my eyes, the Cubs are suffering a post world series hangover, failing to reproduce the lightning-in-a-bottle and are going through growing pains.    So the question is whether Theo wants to spend big to go for a repeat, or is willing to sacrifice the end results this season for longer term stability.     
  If the Cubs DO pull the trigger on the deal, I expect they will end up Verlander's entire contract.

I'd be all in on the Cubs acquiring Avila for the right price.

The Cubs have been rumored to be interested in starters who are controllable for a few years (they'll lose Lackey and likely Arrieta after this season). Chris Archer would be the ideal candidate as he has an incredibly reasonable contract thru 2021. Unfortunately for the Cubs, the Rays are in the race in the AL (with a better record than the Cubs) and the TB front office doesn't seem to be all that enthused about working out a deal with the team that stole their manager. They asked for a boatload from the Cubs when discussing Matt Moore at last year's deadline and ended up getting an average package from SF instead.

If they go for a veteran, it wouldn't surprise me to see names like J.A. Happ or Edinson Volquez pop up (both signed thru 2018). Considering their interest in Moore last season and the Giants' collapse, he's another guy who could be an option.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #426 on: July 05, 2017, 10:26:34 AM »
OK, Cubs fans.   Verlander and Avila are available from the Tigers.    What kind of package do you think it will take to get them?

Verlander had a really good comeback year last year. But he's old (34) for a power pitcher and his ERA, WHIP and BB/K ratio are bad - maybe the worst in his career. Figure in a crappy contract and I don't see him bring back a whole lot.

If I'm a club looking for a starter I'd go after Sonny Gray, Quintana, Cobb or Cole. (or someone else I'm sure I'm forgetting).

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #427 on: July 05, 2017, 10:52:41 AM »
I'd be all in on the Cubs acquiring Avila for the right price.

The Cubs have been rumored to be interested in starters who are controllable for a few years (they'll lose Lackey and likely Arrieta after this season). Chris Archer would be the ideal candidate as he has an incredibly reasonable contract thru 2021. Unfortunately for the Cubs, the Rays are in the race in the AL (with a better record than the Cubs) and the TB front office doesn't seem to be all that enthused about working out a deal with the team that stole their manager. They asked for a boatload from the Cubs when discussing Matt Moore at last year's deadline and ended up getting an average package from SF instead.

If they go for a veteran, it wouldn't surprise me to see names like J.A. Happ or Edinson Volquez pop up (both signed thru 2018). Considering their interest in Moore last season and the Giants' collapse, he's another guy who could be an option.

How would Moore or Volquez help this team? They need serious pitching help, and a couple of bottom feeders won't fit the bill either for the remainder of this year or next.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #428 on: July 05, 2017, 11:39:31 AM »
How would Moore or Volquez help this team? They need serious pitching help, and a couple of bottom feeders won't fit the bill either for the remainder of this year or next.

I don't think either guy is the answer to the Cubs' prayers but I'd take them over John Lackey and Eddie Butler. Both guys have pitched better than their numbers indicate. Lester, Arrieta, Hendricks (when healthy) and who else? Montgomery has been solid in the rotation but he was better out of the pen. Sonny Gray or Chris Archer would cost a ton. Guys like Happ, Volquez and Moore could be had for a much lower asking price, which is why I brought up their names.

I agree that the Cubs need serious pitching help but it's not really out there right now and the FA market isn't great next season. Darvish, Tillman, Estrada - any of those guys do anything for ya? Someone needs to fill the gap until guys like Cease and De La Cruz are MLB-ready.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #429 on: July 05, 2017, 01:17:50 PM »
I don't think either guy is the answer to the Cubs' prayers but I'd take them over John Lackey and Eddie Butler. Both guys have pitched better than their numbers indicate. Lester, Arrieta, Hendricks (when healthy) and who else? Montgomery has been solid in the rotation but he was better out of the pen. Sonny Gray or Chris Archer would cost a ton. Guys like Happ, Volquez and Moore could be had for a much lower asking price, which is why I brought up their names.

I agree that the Cubs need serious pitching help but it's not really out there right now and the FA market isn't great next season. Darvish, Tillman, Estrada - any of those guys do anything for ya? Someone needs to fill the gap until guys like Cease and De La Cruz are MLB-ready.

I'm not arguing with what you say but the Cubs need serious pitching help if they want to be a factor in post season conversations, both this year and beyond. Stop gap won't do it.

They need to get serious about a Chris Archer kind of guy and that means they are gonna have to give up some real talent. But it has to be done. As of now it is Lester, Hendricks, Montgomery, and trash for next year. That is not the makings of a contending staff.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #430 on: July 05, 2017, 02:21:49 PM »
Agree with tower completely, and both of those come at a heavy price.

If I'm a GM in the central, I'm holding this year. It's not worth gutting a system of top prospects in this years NL. I see the Cards are interested in Donadson, but that seems like a steep more for them too.

Each of the top 3 teams might be a player away from winning the division this year, but that's a far cry from competing for a WS. Unless Theo is looking at this through an emotional lens, with shame of missing the postseason or going out with a whisper, I think we see minor moves relative to true contending years. I don't think Theo is an emotional actor

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #431 on: July 05, 2017, 04:09:14 PM »
I'm not arguing with what you say but the Cubs need serious pitching help if they want to be a factor in post season conversations, both this year and beyond. Stop gap won't do it.

Hammel and Lackey were stop-gaps. It can be done as long as the top of the rotation guys are pitching up to their capabilities. It also didn't hurt that Lackey pitched incredibly well last season.

They can add a stop-gap or two to the rotation and hope a pitcher in the minors emerges as a solid starter (a la Hendricks). If they can get a couple contributors out of their last few drafts, which were very pitcher-heavy, the pitching can take care of itself. No need to blow up the system.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #432 on: July 06, 2017, 11:11:43 AM »
Marcus Stroman is potentially on the block and definitely on the Cubs' radar. He's only 26 and not eligible for free agency until 2020. The Cubs wanted him from Toronto when the Blue Jays were looking to acquire Jeff Samardzija.

Would he be worth Eloy Jimenez?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #433 on: July 06, 2017, 11:20:47 AM »
Marcus Stroman is potentially on the block and definitely on the Cubs' radar. He's only 26 and not eligible for free agency until 2020. The Cubs wanted him from Toronto when the Blue Jays were looking to acquire Jeff Samardzija.

A 26 year old, proven pitcher with team control until 2020 for a unproven outfielder when you have Happ and Heyward locked down for a while? Absolutely.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #434 on: July 06, 2017, 11:28:01 AM »
A 26 year old, proven pitcher with team control until 2020 for a unproven outfielder when you have Happ and Heyward locked down for a while? Absolutely.

I guess when you put it that way...

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #435 on: July 06, 2017, 11:58:54 AM »
I guess when you put it that way...

I realized I stole half your post after I wrote it.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #436 on: July 06, 2017, 12:36:11 PM »

Why not just ask the Dodgers for a Keyshawn for Jimenez deal?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #437 on: July 06, 2017, 12:48:15 PM »

Keyshawn Johnson Jr.?

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #438 on: July 06, 2017, 01:06:18 PM »

1) There'd obviously be more to the deal than just Jimenez for Stroman.

2) I'm not simply picking a young pitcher and making things up. Buster Olney thinks Stroman could become available. Actually, this article even mentions the Cubs and Jimenez.

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/news/mlb-trade-rumors-multiple-teams-eyeing-blue-jays-marcus-stroman/ihapa4a71lsj1eaedb0aeguli

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #439 on: July 06, 2017, 02:23:59 PM »
This sun-out makeup game is awesome.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #440 on: July 06, 2017, 02:30:57 PM »
This sun-out makeup game is awesome.

I'm loving it
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #441 on: July 06, 2017, 02:36:09 PM »
At least we'll get to see who the Cubs' position player pitcher is now that they've traded Montero.

I'm sure this game is fun for Brewers fans, but I'm OK with that  ;)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #442 on: July 06, 2017, 03:06:15 PM »
At least we'll get to see who the Cubs' position player pitcher is now that they've traded Montero.

I'm sure this game is fun for Brewers fans, but I'm OK with that  ;)

Ah so this is what it feels like when packer fans remind bear fans about their advantage in Super Bowl rings
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #443 on: July 06, 2017, 04:39:40 PM »
Yup. Definitely caught fire. Yep. Just call me nostradumous. Or  nostradumbass?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #444 on: July 06, 2017, 07:05:20 PM »
Yup. Definitely caught fire. Yep. Just call me nostradumous. Or  nostradumbass?

Lol. It wouldn't be a good time to catch fire anyway. 1 series and then a break.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #445 on: July 06, 2017, 07:51:15 PM »
Lol. It wouldn't be a good time to catch fire anyway. 1 series and then a break.

we learned one thing. Jon Jay has a better ERA then Montgomery.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #446 on: July 06, 2017, 08:56:55 PM »
we learned one thing. Jon Jay has a better ERA then Montgomery.

Pretty funny when the Brewers have 4 outfielders better than any on the Cubs.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #447 on: July 06, 2017, 09:43:03 PM »
Pretty funny when the Brewers have 4 outfielders better than any on the Cubs.

You think Perez is better than Happ? You'd take Broxton and his negative dWAR over Heyward and his Gold Gloves?

If you want to make the argument that the Brewers' outfielders are having better seasons, that's one thing (though their WARs might surprise you). To say they're better players is highly questionable.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #448 on: July 06, 2017, 10:12:15 PM »
Interesting article on 538 about the Cubs having one of the worst championship hangovers ever, especially in the modern era. I'm throwing out the '97 Marlins everyone must go team.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #449 on: July 06, 2017, 10:27:58 PM »
You think Perez is better than Happ? You'd take Broxton and his negative dWAR over Heyward and his Gold Gloves?

If you want to make the argument that the Brewers' outfielders are having better seasons, that's one thing (though their WARs might surprise you). To say they're better players is highly questionable.

I meant to say they are all having better seasons. Long term, I take Happ. For this and next season I take Perez.