collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2017 Season  (Read 270440 times)

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
Re: MLB 2017 Season
« Reply #100 on: April 11, 2017, 11:05:36 AM »
I've always liked the Yankees; Don Mattingly was my favorite player as a kid, and I wore a Yankees hat literally every day in high school.  Also, the Yanks failed to make the playoffs between the time I was 4 years-old and my frosh year at Marquette, so it's not like I followed them because they were "always winning."

Game 7 of the '01 WS reminded me of the cruelty of baseball.  I can't stand Luis Gonzalez, (there's no way he wasn't on juice), and he gets a bloop hit to win it all after two of the most remarkable comebacks at Yankee Stadium (Brosius and 'Mr. Novemeber.')  Fantastic World Series; I just didn't like the way it ended.

buckchuckler

• All American

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #102 on: April 11, 2017, 12:17:46 PM »
What do you think VBMG?  Best play in the history of the WS?

Best play in the history of any sport at any time. 

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #103 on: April 11, 2017, 12:47:54 PM »

That's a stretch. I mean, I made a pretty spectacular game-winning catch in an intramural football game while at MU, circa 2000.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #104 on: April 11, 2017, 01:22:06 PM »
That's a stretch. I mean, I made a pretty spectacular game-winning catch in an intramural football game while at MU, circa 2000.

Fair but I'm not sure that can compete with my diving catch for a touchdown in a crucial ultimate frisbee game my freshman year. 

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #105 on: April 11, 2017, 02:24:48 PM »
I wouldn't hold your breath on Machado.

Why is that? The Sox and Phillies are the two teams that can front load more money against the tax than anyone else. The Yankees are working to get there, they can't sign both Harper and Machado. Under the new CBA, the Sox will have an incredible number against the tax to work with. Dodgers would be in play if Kershaw opts out, but then another team will absorb his salary.

They clearly have as good a chance as anyone.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #106 on: April 11, 2017, 02:58:18 PM »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #107 on: April 11, 2017, 03:19:46 PM »

I'm not even going to get my hopes up on Machado,  but that would be something...

99% chance he goes to Boston, NYY, or Dodgers. Same with Harper.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #108 on: April 11, 2017, 03:36:09 PM »
Why is that? The Sox and Phillies are the two teams that can front load more money against the tax than anyone else. The Yankees are working to get there, they can't sign both Harper and Machado. Under the new CBA, the Sox will have an incredible number against the tax to work with. Dodgers would be in play if Kershaw opts out, but then another team will absorb his salary.

They clearly have as good a chance as anyone.

Do the White Sox want one player to take up such a large portion of their payroll?  They've shown no indication in the past that they're willing to put together the type of exorbitant offer it will take. 

And while their rebuild is off to a solid start, at least in terms of some of the prospects they've acquired, it may take a leap of faith from Machado to believe they will be fielding a winning team in the near future.  So how much more would they then have to pay than some other teams that may have more attractive situations?

Anything is possible and I obviously might be wrong but I just don't see it as likely. 

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #109 on: April 11, 2017, 03:47:32 PM »
Do the White Sox want one player to take up such a large portion of their payroll?  They've shown no indication in the past that they're willing to put together the type of exorbitant offer it will take. 

And while their rebuild is off to a solid start, at least in terms of some of the prospects they've acquired, it may take a leap of faith from Machado to believe they will be fielding a winning team in the near future.  So how much more would they then have to pay than some other teams that may have more attractive situations?

Anything is possible and I obviously might be wrong but I just don't see it as likely.

Having befriended some people in the Sox front office, I can say that I'm led strongly to believe they are all in on Machado. Whether he signs elsewhere is of course up to him, but with $2.65 million committed to 2019 (without arb guys/rookies), they believe they can heavily front load a deal and stay out of tax hell.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #110 on: April 11, 2017, 04:11:42 PM »
I've always liked the Yankees; Don Mattingly was my favorite player as a kid, and I wore a Yankees hat literally every day in high school.  Also, the Yanks failed to make the playoffs between the time I was 4 years-old and my frosh year at Marquette, so it's not like I followed them because they were "always winning."

Game 7 of the '01 WS reminded me of the cruelty of baseball.  I can't stand Luis Gonzalez, (there's no way he wasn't on juice), and he gets a bloop hit to win it all after two of the most remarkable comebacks at Yankee Stadium (Brosius and 'Mr. Novemeber.')  Fantastic World Series; I just didn't like the way it ended.

The one year America was actually rooting for the Yankees to win and that stupid Curt Schilling too.  That '01 loss hurt. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #111 on: April 12, 2017, 12:36:27 PM »
Having befriended some people in the Sox front office, I can say that I'm led strongly to believe they are all in on Machado. Whether he signs elsewhere is of course up to him, but with $2.65 million committed to 2019 (without arb guys/rookies), they believe they can heavily front load a deal and stay out of tax hell.

Is front-loading really even an incentive for the player though?  I know this is discussed in theory a lot but doesn't seem to be very common. 

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #112 on: April 12, 2017, 05:35:00 PM »
Is front-loading really even an incentive for the player though?  I know this is discussed in theory a lot but doesn't seem to be very common.

Shouldn't be real important since contracts are fully guaranteed.

It's a very big deal in the NFL, though.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #113 on: April 12, 2017, 07:17:40 PM »
Shouldn't be real important since contracts are fully guaranteed.

It's a very big deal in the NFL, though.

People have to understand the new CBA to realize teams are going to work against the tax like it's a cap. If you're the Cubs as an example, you'd be way better front loading a Machado (or whoever) contract in 2019 if you had Bryant/Schwarber/Russell non arbitration years coming up in '20, '21. No one is going to pay the tax, penalty is stiff. So while it doesn't matter from a guarantee standpoint, it'll you give Machado 5 years, $200 mil, and give him $50 upfront, no player will turndown a front loaded deal.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #114 on: April 13, 2017, 12:00:18 AM »
People have to understand the new CBA to realize teams are going to work against the tax like it's a cap. If you're the Cubs as an example, you'd be way better front loading a Machado (or whoever) contract in 2019 if you had Bryant/Schwarber/Russell non arbitration years coming up in '20, '21. No one is going to pay the tax, penalty is stiff. So while it doesn't matter from a guarantee standpoint, it'll you give Machado 5 years, $200 mil, and give him $50 upfront, no player will turndown a front loaded deal.

I agree and disagree.

It certainly helps certain clubs who put themselves in position to front-load.

But if there is a $200 mil contract offered - guaranteed for the entire $200 mil - I don't think most players are gonna care if the big payday comes upfront or if it is spread thoughout the contract. It is the total amount that they care about.

(And yes, I realize the investment benefits of getting a larger sum up front.)

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #115 on: April 13, 2017, 12:01:54 AM »
By the way, anyone see Utley score from first on a dropped third strike?  Gotta be one of the best plays in history.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #116 on: April 13, 2017, 09:20:04 AM »
By the way, anyone see Utley score from first on a dropped third strike?  Gotta be one of the best plays in history.

If Contreras could've made the throw to first, that would have been the greatest play in history.

(Very early) surprises have to be the Reds' offense (they have a 3B with nearly a 1.3 OPS), Arizona winning 6 of 7 at home, and how terrible the Blue Jays have looked.  The White Sox also had a very strong rotation, (the only real flub was probably Quintana on Opening Day), and the second-best bullpen ERA in the AL.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #117 on: April 17, 2017, 09:39:35 AM »

The cubs are on pace to win 108 games. We're talking crap about his managing.

Cubs now on pace to finish 81-81 and miss the playoffs.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #118 on: April 17, 2017, 09:41:27 AM »
Cubs now on pace to finish 81-81 and miss the playoffs.

I dunno...that may still win the division, especially with St. Louis on pace to win 41 games.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #119 on: April 17, 2017, 09:43:15 AM »
I dunno...that may still win the division, especially with St. Louis on pace to win 41 games.

Brewers on pace to win 87 though, let's gooooooooo! In the words of BeeJay, Brewers the CONSENSUS to represent the NL Central in the Playoffs and win the WS!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #120 on: April 17, 2017, 10:45:51 AM »
So far, so good on the Thames deal. Of course there's a bunch of initial inflation built into .368 & 6HRs through 13 games, so he'll return to the mean. But its looking good for him to be a useful major league player. Most projections had him at about .260 w/ 26 bombs, which, compared with his early returns and the contract ($15M through 2019 w/ a $7.5M team option for 2020) should produce good value/trade value for the Brewers. Still probably no way that the 2020 option would factor into a trade/get exercised, but it can't hurt to have it out there.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #121 on: April 17, 2017, 10:58:44 AM »

Reinsdorf claimed he was willing to spend big to get A-Rod but they came up a little short. I have my doubts about how close they actually got. I mean, Reinsdorf only reluctantly paid Jordan market value!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #122 on: April 17, 2017, 11:09:52 AM »

The White Sox made Albert Belle the highest-paid player in baseball when they signed him to a free-agent deal. So, yeah, there's a history of them being willing to put together exorbitant offers when they want to.

That said, I don't think the Sox would deviate so greatly from their rebuilding plan after just one year to sign Machado. I think they'll continue to go young and build from within for at least a couple more years and then, if/when they have a contender, they'll spend on free agents.
Looking way ahead, the potential 2020 free agent pool includes Nolan Arenado, Paul Goldschmidt, Jose Altuve, Madison Bumgarner, Michael Wacha, Gerrit Cole, Xander Boegarts, Rick Porcello, and Chris Sale (OK, maybe he's not a likely option).

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #123 on: April 17, 2017, 05:15:03 PM »
Reinsdorf claimed he was willing to spend big to get A-Rod but they came up a little short. I have my doubts about how close they actually got. I mean, Reinsdorf only reluctantly paid Jordan market value!

The legends about Reinsdorf being cheap are completely false. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #124 on: April 17, 2017, 05:16:10 PM »
Such a topsy-turvey start to the season.  You could have gotten good odds on the Cards and Jays being the worst teams in their respective leagues to this point.