'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: UCLA offered to double Jay Wright’s deal...he said no  (Read 18534 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
UCLA offered to double Jay Wright’s deal...he said no
« on: April 30, 2019, 02:09:32 PM »
Reported this morning.

Those of you worried about the conference and bleeding coaches, here is an example where it didn’t happen.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: UCLA offered to double Jay Wright’s deal...he said no
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 02:13:52 PM »
Pretty sure His wife went to nova and bleeds blue and white. Only job their fans seem worried he'd leave for is the 76ers now that they're actually good
Maigh Eo for Sam

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 02:14:49 PM »
  smart man  UCLA's a whole different fish bowl...more like a shark tank
don't...don't don't don't don't

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 02:26:15 PM »
Quirky tax law in Californiastan May have ultimately undone the Jamie Dixon choice.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/la-sp-ucla-mick-cronin-coaching-search-20190429-story.html
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2019, 02:28:03 PM »
This says more about Wright and Nova than it does the conference. Either way it’s good news
No Finish Line

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 02:35:29 PM »
This coaching search is still such a sh*tshow...and it's over.  So they were willing to double Wright's salary, but wouldn't take care of Barnes or Dixon's buyout? Now they're Assoc AD is almost saying Cronin is half the coach Wright is? Trying to figure out why he would come out with this.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2019, 02:36:50 PM »
This has nothing to do with the conference as a whole and you know this

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2019, 02:40:08 PM »
Wright is a Philly guy.  Despite popular belief, it is possible for schools to hire young head coaches and provide a professional experience that encourages them to reject overtures from bigger schools from across the country. 

"Don't mess with happy".

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2019, 02:57:00 PM »
That's pretty crazy to turn down that kinda cash

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2019, 03:06:39 PM »
That's pretty crazy to turn down that kinda cash

He has a lot of cash already and he'll have a lot more coming in for a lot of years.

He has his own little fiefdom right where he is and he faces considerably less pressure than he would at UCLA.

He loves Philly.

He loves Nova.

He has won and can continue to win national titles right where he is.

He is in a better basketball conference than UCLA is.

He is very happy.

Yep ... what a crazy fool!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2019, 03:13:37 PM »
He has a lot of cash already and he'll have a lot more coming in for a lot of years.

He has his own little fiefdom right where he is and he faces considerably less pressure than he would at UCLA.

He loves Philly.

He loves Nova.

He has won and can continue to win national titles right where he is.

He is in a better basketball conference than UCLA is.

He is very happy.

Yep ... what a crazy fool!
im not saying he is crazy. I am saying from a common persons perspective the idea of turning down another 3.5 mill a year is seemingly crazy. its good for jay though. stay at nova become a legend. Also I highly doubt the Pac-12 will remain trash for long. Just to many Huge market teams etc. I suspect UCLA and Arizona will return to form. And I think other teams like USC, UW, U of O. and Cal will step it out as well. Doubt the Big east remains clearly better than the pac for long

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2019, 03:25:42 PM »
im not saying he is crazy. I am saying from a common persons perspective the idea of turning down another 3.5 mill a year is seemingly crazy. its good for jay though. stay at nova become a legend. Also I highly doubt the Pac-12 will remain trash for long. Just to many Huge market teams etc. I suspect UCLA and Arizona will return to form. And I think other teams like USC, UW, U of O. and Cal will step it out as well. Doubt the Big east remains clearly better than the pac for long

Well, since you literally said, "That's pretty crazy to turn down that kinda cash," and Wright was the one who turned it down, I guess I was pretty crazy to take the leap and assume you were talking about him.

But sure. I'd rather have $3.5 million more coming in every year than I do now. Most "regular" people would.

When it comes to big-time sports, the money isn't "real" and the people getting it aren't "regular." When you have tens (or hundreds) of millions of dollars, another few often isn't worth sacrificing happiness for. Some of the jocks who make things about only the money often end up sad they did. When you can be wildly rich whether you choose Option A or Option B, you might as well choose the one that makes you wildly rich and wildly happy.

As for whether the Pac-12 will surpass the Big East eventually, you don't know and neither do I. For many, many years now, it has been behind, usually well behind. I'll deal with the here and now. You are free to deal with whatever time period you wish. It has little to anything to do with Wright's decision anyway, I imagine. It was one minor point I threw out there among many others.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2019, 03:43:30 PM »
If you are happy and getting paid enough ($3.5 mil is enough), I don't see the appeal of leaving a successful program that you have won two national championships with.     It is just money.    It isn't like he has to buy his suits second hand or his cars used.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2019, 03:55:44 PM »
Mark Few basically did that every year until people finally stopped pursuing him.

Some guys are just wired differently........kind of cool to know some coaches don't just go for the  biggest offer.........even though there is nothing wrong with that if money is what drives you.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2019, 04:04:58 PM »
Mark Few basically did that every year until people finally stopped pursuing him.

Some guys are just wired differently........kind of cool to know some coaches don't just go for the  biggest offer.........even though there is nothing wrong with that if money is what drives you.

Yep.

And to be fair, some are driven only partly by the money, or maybe even not all that much by the money. Some would look at the likes of "fallen bluebloods" like UCLA and Indiana as the ultimate challenge, and they like challenging themselves that way.

But there is a lot to be said for being content. To some, that's a dirty phrase because they equate "contentment" with indifference or accepting inferiority. Guys like Few and Wright have shown that a coach can be content, can be an extremely competitive person, and can be successful on a national scale.

They are the rare beasts that have it all -- and, equally importantly, they know they have it all -- and they are to be celebrated IMHO.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2019, 04:16:41 PM »
the combination of the additional federal taxes Medicare taxes and increased state income taxes ,on his entire income, not to mention the cost of living it is really not a huge pay increase and a lot more risk and headache.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2019, 04:48:46 PM »
Also I highly doubt the Pac-12 will remain trash for long. Just to many Huge market teams etc. I suspect UCLA and Arizona will return to form. And I think other teams like USC, UW, U of O. and Cal will step it out as well. Doubt the Big east remains clearly better than the pac for long

Wondering why you think this. There have been many huge market teams for decades. You say that teams like USC, UW, Oregon, Cal will step it up. With Arizona's troubles and UCLA's fall from blue blood-ness, this is just a mid-major conference. I see no evidence they are getting better.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2019, 04:57:06 PM »
Wondering why you think this. There have been many huge market teams for decades. You say that teams like USC, UW, Oregon, Cal will step it up. With Arizona's troubles and UCLA's fall from blue blood-ness, this is just a mid-major conference. I see no evidence they are getting better.

As Arizona basketball and UCLA basketball goes, so does the PAC-12 in general. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2019, 05:01:00 PM »
Reported this morning.

Those of you worried about the conference and bleeding coaches, here is an example where it didn’t happen.

Yeah, well, there's the rest of the conference - and then there's Villanova.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2019, 05:19:11 PM »

im not saying he is crazy. I am saying from a common persons perspective the idea of turning down another 3.5 mill a year is seemingly crazy.

I could just as easily see a common person saying "he already makes $3.5 million, so if he's happy he'd be crazy to change."

i.e. - don't mess with happy.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2019, 05:23:18 PM »
If you are happy and getting paid enough ($3.5 mil is enough), I don't see the appeal of leaving a successful program that you have won two national championships with.     It is just money.    It isn't like he has to buy his suits second hand or his cars used.

Look, if anyone thinks the UCLA offer won't come up in Coach Wright's next contract negotiations, then you also still believe we're the number 2 team in the country going into next year.

Wright's "people" will be sure to make this offer a centerpiece whenever his contract is renewed. He'll get his pound of flesh out of Villanova. I promise you he understands the concept of "net present value!"

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2019, 05:38:17 PM »
the combination of the additional federal taxes Medicare taxes and increased state income taxes ,on his entire income, not to mention the cost of living it is really not a huge pay increase and a lot more risk and headache.
I always love this argument.

1.  Plenty of people love to live and work in California...supply and demand. 

2.  How do you know it's more risk?  A 15 year deal worth a ton of $ could certainly be less risky...especially if he only plans to coach 10 more years.  I would bet the word "risk" never came into the discussion.

3.  I would guess the words family, loyalty, legacy, happiness, etc... came into play.

4.  Jay is my favorite coach in all of college bball.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2019, 05:41:46 PM »
This coaching search is still such a sh*tshow...and it's over.  So they were willing to double Wright's salary, but wouldn't take care of Barnes or Dixon's buyout? Now they're Assoc AD is almost saying Cronin is half the coach Wright is? Trying to figure out why he would come out with this.

and that's why the associate AD is, the associate AD, but still makes ya wonder.  once you get to the level of jay wright money, but can't tweek the barnes or the dixon deal a little bit?

the barnes thing has got to hurt tennessee recruiting a little bit

don't...don't don't don't don't

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2019, 05:48:18 PM »
Quirky tax law in Californiastan May have ultimately undone the Jamie Dixon choice.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/la-sp-ucla-mick-cronin-coaching-search-20190429-story.html
Tell us again how horrible it is to live amongst all those liberals, the first hundred times were so enrapturing.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2019, 06:21:22 PM »
If Dixon and Cronin were “Tier II” guys, what does that make Wojo?  Not even on the radar screen, is what.