[May 20, 2024, 11:10:42 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MU82
[May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 20, 2024, 03:33:38 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[May 20, 2024, 05:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Million dollar gift to MUBB  (Read 14698 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Million dollar gift to MUBB
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2019, 09:26:29 AM »
Hell, $2.5 gets ya inta Yale and maybee Stanford deez daze, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2019, 10:47:50 AM »
So I assume this huge gift ensures that MU will have to keep Wojos mediocrity for a longer time, and we can hear the mantra that Wojo has it trending in the right direction.

Maybe you should donate vast sums or offer to if they pull the plug on the mediocrity you see.  Take out an ad, or perhaps become the commencement speaker where you can publicly launch the campaign.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2019, 10:49:55 AM »
I've met Chuck a few times and was lucky enough to find myself in a suite at a Bucks game last year with Chuck, Wojo, Lovell, Novak, and others.  That was almost a year-and-a-half ago, but they all seemed pretty chummy and mutually supportive.  The Swobodas certainly looked like Wojo fans to me. This donation is a sign that despite the ugliness at the end of the season the powerful donors and trustees around MU are still mostly in the Wojo camp.

That said, they are likely Marquette fans first and Wojo fans second, so even their patience can only be so long.

This^^^^^^   Very true. It’s the current reality at MU.

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2019, 11:15:46 AM »
What a waste of money.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2019, 11:28:24 AM »
What a waste of money.

Making a generous donation to the program that supports virtually all other Marquette athletics is a waste of money?

That donation helps provide scholarships for young men and women in track, tennis, soccer, lacrosse and other non-revenue sports. Your viewpoint seems extremely cynical.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2019, 11:34:42 AM »
Making a generous donation to the program that supports virtually all other Marquette athletics is a waste of money?

That donation helps provide scholarships for young men and women in track, tennis, soccer, lacrosse and other non-revenue sports. Your viewpoint seems extremely cynical.

Didn’t they give Wally a track scholarship after Wojo cut him, only to have Wally drop out?  Maybe this donation can help with stuff like that, hey?

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2019, 11:45:49 AM »
Why doesn't he go out and buy us a top 5 recruiting class?  Seems like that's how things are done these days.  Worst case scenario is 8 years from now they uncover it and we end up having to put an asterisk next to Big East title on the wall at the Al.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2019, 11:50:24 AM »
Chuck lives in the Raleigh-Durham area.  He was instrumental in bringing Wojo to MU five years ago as the Chairman of the Board of Trustees in 2014.

I don't know Chuck but I wonder if the Hausers defection motivated this gift as a vote of confidence for Wojo?

Donations like this are months in the making. I doubt it had anything to do with players transferring. The haters are trying WAAAAY too hard here.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2019, 12:21:14 PM »

Actually, $1.5mm is for men's basketball. The other $1mm is for innovation alley. The sports you mentioned are not part of this.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2019, 12:30:20 PM »
Wojo isn’t going anywhere.
We Are Marquette

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2019, 01:04:56 PM »
Wojo isn’t going anywhere.

I think he's smart enough and determined enough to figure this head coaching thing out. Wojo's staff seems to believe in him. He's only lost one assistant (Carawell to Coach K), and those guys are highly mobile in their careers.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2019, 01:06:46 PM »
I think he's smart enough and determined enough to figure this head coaching thing out. Wojo's staff seems to believe in him. He's only lost one assistant (Carawell to Coach K), and those guys are highly mobile in their careers.

Phelps left too. But that might not be a bad thing.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2019, 01:07:06 PM »

He lost Mark Phelps to Arizona and Travis to playing basketball back in Italy.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2019, 01:18:44 PM »
He lost Mark Phelps to Arizona and Travis to playing basketball back in Italy.
Travis was not an assistant as he was director of whatever.  Phelps got a promotion to associate head coach at a blue blood.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2019, 01:20:04 PM »

Nothing like under Cream, new staff every year, guy was such a dbag
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2019, 01:20:42 PM »
I see another MU alum is Chair of the Board.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2019, 01:29:45 PM »
Travis was not an assistant as he was director of whatever.  Phelps got a promotion to associate head coach at a blue blood.

I forgot about the Travis difference. In neither case was I suggesting that Wojo was difficult to work with. All of them are explainable.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2019, 01:38:58 PM »
In this thread, scoop feels a little like Ben Kenobi describing Mos Eisley.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2019, 01:41:08 PM »
In this thread, scoop feels a little like Ben Kenobi describing Mos Eisley.

Evergreen post.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2019, 01:43:22 PM »

He's definitely determined enough.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2019, 01:44:50 PM »
Question about the Innovation Alley piece that got $1M. I know that is what the plan is for the future business school and connecting with the engineering school. Is this money meant for an engineering program? Or is it for the creation of the business school?

manny31

• Starter
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2019, 01:52:28 PM »
Here you go...
Created in 2014 by Opus Dean Kristina Ropella, Marquette’s Opus College of Engineering has a nationally recognized, award-winning leadership development program called Engineers in the Lead, or E-Lead. The Swobodas will dedicate $1 million of their gift toward Innovation Alley programming to immediately double the size of the three-year leadership program. In fall 2019, the program will consist of 20 engineering students and 20 students from disciplines across the university. The 40 students will begin as a cohort and a new set of 40 students will follow each additional year.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2019, 01:59:26 PM »
Nothing like under Cream, new staff every year, guy was such a dbag

yeah, such a "dbag" that he had guys go on to be head coaches and therefore had to replace them. 
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2019, 03:33:21 PM »
Hell, $2.5 gets ya inta Yale and maybee Stanford deez daze, hey?

You also have to be able to pick out a soccer ball from an array of six different balls, tho.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2019, 01:44:58 PM »
Maybe it's contingent on Wojo being shown the door
Doubtful. If they are buddies of Wojo as some here have posted, it likely means that the BOT wants to maintain the vanilla mediocrity of Wojo as exemplified by his season ending meltdown, fiasco of the Hausers, and thoroughly outclassed by a 12 seed mid major in first round of Dance.
At any rate. it was a nice gift.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

feedback