[Today at 04:54:28 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by JakeBarnes
[Today at 04:41:29 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by 🏀
[Today at 04:02:44 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[Today at 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Million dollar gift to MUBB  (Read 14701 times)

marqfan22

• Team Captain
Million dollar gift to MUBB
« on: April 29, 2019, 06:59:10 PM »
https://www.marquette.edu/news-center/2019/marquette-receives-2.5-million-gift-to-support-innovation-alley-and-basketball.php

I didn’t see it listed on scoop.

$1.5 million to Hoop program. The sun still shines. Long live Wojo

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: Million dollar gift to MUBB
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 07:01:19 PM »
Whew, we will be able to keep Wojo a few months longer!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 07:04:27 PM »
Very cool! MU is bigger than Wojo and the basketball team. Awesome to have alums like this. That said, go Warriors!

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 07:36:23 PM »
Chuck lives in the Raleigh-Durham area.  He was instrumental in bringing Wojo to MU five years ago as the Chairman of the Board of Trustees in 2014.

I don't know Chuck but I wonder if the Hausers defection motivated this gift as a vote of confidence for Wojo?

Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 07:45:02 PM »
Chuck lives in the Raleigh-Durham area.  He was instrumental in bringing Wojo to MU five years ago as the Chairman of the Board of Trustees in 2014.

I don't know Chuck but I wonder if the Hausers defection motivated this gift as a vote of confidence for Wojo?

If a few more leave maybe Chuck ups the ante to 5 million!

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 07:48:32 PM »
If a few more leave maybe Chuck ups the ante to 5 million!

Who is Chuck Swoboda

https://www.linkedin.com/in/chuck-swoboda/

I retired as chairman and CEO of Cree in October of 2017 and continue to support the company in a consulting role. While CEO of Cree, we led the LED Lighting Revolution by developing innovative, energy-efficient, smart LED lighting that fundamentally changed the way people experience light and drove the obsolescence of the Edison light bulb.

The company grew from just over $6 million in annual revenue in 1993 to nearly $1.7 billion during my tenure. We transformed Cree from a start-up into today’s market leader in LEDs, LED lighting, and semiconductor solutions for wireless and power applications. We expanded on the company’s culture of innovation to drive technology development and new product innovation, resulting in more than 5,000 issued patents. I worked in most every part of the company during my career and was a co-inventor on 24 U.S. patents covering a wide array of LED and Lighting related technology.

Thanks to the work of some of the brightest minds in technology, Cree was recognized as one of MIT Technology Review’s 50 Smartest Companies in 2014 and as one of Fast Company’s World’s 50 Most Innovative Companies in 2015. I was named Ernst & Young’s Entrepreneur of the Year for the Carolinas in 2010.

I recently founded Cape Point Advisors with the goal to utilize my experience at Cree to help guide other companies through the challenges associated with a rapidly changing business environment.

I have a degree in electrical engineering from Marquette University, where I served on the Board of Trustees for 12 years, including two as chairman. My wife and I are currently working to open a food pantry in Durham, NC to address food insecurity in the community. We also actively support Habitat for Humanity and the North Carolina Food Bank, as well as scholarships for first-generation college students in engineering. I previously served on the North Carolina Economic Development Board and the CEO Roundtable on Cancer.

Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2019, 07:49:03 PM »

He just wants more seating points.
Have some patience, FFS.

UNC Eagle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2019, 08:00:55 PM »
They are very good people who live in Cary. Great for MU to have this kind of support .
UNC Grad MU Fan

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2019, 08:04:19 PM »

Ferraro was on watch when Wojo was hired.  Chuck was heading up the clean-up crew of the university mess before Lovell, Wojo and Scholl arrived (although I am sure he had a voice as he is a big hoops fan).  For that we should all thank him profusely.

I think I have seen him at every home and away game I have attended recently. Big fan of the program.

http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/steve-wojciechowski-brings-the-duke-pedigree-to-marquette-b99238048z1-253485281.html/

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2019, 08:26:28 PM »
Maybe it's contingent on Wojo being shown the door

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2019, 09:00:53 PM »

Zero chance MU accepts a $2.5M gift under those circumstances.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2019, 09:01:19 PM »

Zero chance MU accepts a $2.5M gift under those circumstances.

I've transcended teal

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2019, 09:19:20 PM »
Chuck's sister is an '83 alum.  I always enjoy running into her. Super, super nice.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2019, 10:46:06 PM »
He just wants more seating points.

I think that kind of donation gets you a seat on the Marquette bench.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2019, 11:03:54 PM »
Had to make up for Jesse D's supreme generosity and closing up those pocketbooks to send a message that mediocrity will no longer be accepted.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2019, 04:11:21 AM »
Maybee Chuck oughta coach da teem, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2019, 04:12:33 AM »
Chuck's sister is an '83 alum.  I always enjoy running into her. Super, super nice.

Pics, hey and Crean sucks
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2019, 04:13:19 AM »

Sew hees ta blame, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2019, 04:47:30 AM »
mediocre
Maigh Eo for Sam

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2019, 05:22:40 AM »

So I assume this huge gift ensures that MU will have to keep Wojos mediocrity for a longer time, and we can hear the mantra that Wojo has it trending in the right direction.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2019, 06:19:00 AM »
I think that kind of donation gets you a seat on the Marquette bench.

Not a guarantee. 
Have some patience, FFS.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2019, 07:09:43 AM »
Are we safe to assume this is not Muguru or Keefe? 

Probably  underacheivers in the earnings area anyway
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2019, 08:27:18 AM »

I've met Chuck a few times and was lucky enough to find myself in a suite at a Bucks game last year with Chuck, Wojo, Lovell, Novak, and others.  That was almost a year-and-a-half ago, but they all seemed pretty chummy and mutually supportive.  The Swobodas certainly looked like Wojo fans to me. This donation is a sign that despite the ugliness at the end of the season the powerful donors and trustees around MU are still mostly in the Wojo camp.

That said, they are likely Marquette fans first and Wojo fans second, so even their patience can only be so long.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2019, 09:21:29 AM »
Interesting dat a $2.5M donor is considered big, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2019, 09:25:01 AM »
Interesting dat a $2.5M donor is considered big, hey?

Just an appetizer in advance pf the Meatheads Dental Wing legacy gift, aina?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2019, 09:26:29 AM »
Hell, $2.5 gets ya inta Yale and maybee Stanford deez daze, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2019, 10:47:50 AM »
So I assume this huge gift ensures that MU will have to keep Wojos mediocrity for a longer time, and we can hear the mantra that Wojo has it trending in the right direction.

Maybe you should donate vast sums or offer to if they pull the plug on the mediocrity you see.  Take out an ad, or perhaps become the commencement speaker where you can publicly launch the campaign.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2019, 10:49:55 AM »
I've met Chuck a few times and was lucky enough to find myself in a suite at a Bucks game last year with Chuck, Wojo, Lovell, Novak, and others.  That was almost a year-and-a-half ago, but they all seemed pretty chummy and mutually supportive.  The Swobodas certainly looked like Wojo fans to me. This donation is a sign that despite the ugliness at the end of the season the powerful donors and trustees around MU are still mostly in the Wojo camp.

That said, they are likely Marquette fans first and Wojo fans second, so even their patience can only be so long.

This^^^^^^   Very true. It’s the current reality at MU.

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2019, 11:15:46 AM »
What a waste of money.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2019, 11:28:24 AM »
What a waste of money.

Making a generous donation to the program that supports virtually all other Marquette athletics is a waste of money?

That donation helps provide scholarships for young men and women in track, tennis, soccer, lacrosse and other non-revenue sports. Your viewpoint seems extremely cynical.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2019, 11:34:42 AM »
Making a generous donation to the program that supports virtually all other Marquette athletics is a waste of money?

That donation helps provide scholarships for young men and women in track, tennis, soccer, lacrosse and other non-revenue sports. Your viewpoint seems extremely cynical.

Didn’t they give Wally a track scholarship after Wojo cut him, only to have Wally drop out?  Maybe this donation can help with stuff like that, hey?

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2019, 11:45:49 AM »
Why doesn't he go out and buy us a top 5 recruiting class?  Seems like that's how things are done these days.  Worst case scenario is 8 years from now they uncover it and we end up having to put an asterisk next to Big East title on the wall at the Al.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2019, 11:50:24 AM »

Donations like this are months in the making. I doubt it had anything to do with players transferring. The haters are trying WAAAAY too hard here.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2019, 12:21:14 PM »

Actually, $1.5mm is for men's basketball. The other $1mm is for innovation alley. The sports you mentioned are not part of this.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2019, 12:30:20 PM »
Wojo isn’t going anywhere.
We Are Marquette

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2019, 01:04:56 PM »
Wojo isn’t going anywhere.

I think he's smart enough and determined enough to figure this head coaching thing out. Wojo's staff seems to believe in him. He's only lost one assistant (Carawell to Coach K), and those guys are highly mobile in their careers.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2019, 01:06:46 PM »
I think he's smart enough and determined enough to figure this head coaching thing out. Wojo's staff seems to believe in him. He's only lost one assistant (Carawell to Coach K), and those guys are highly mobile in their careers.

Phelps left too. But that might not be a bad thing.

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2019, 01:07:06 PM »

He lost Mark Phelps to Arizona and Travis to playing basketball back in Italy.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2019, 01:18:44 PM »
He lost Mark Phelps to Arizona and Travis to playing basketball back in Italy.
Travis was not an assistant as he was director of whatever.  Phelps got a promotion to associate head coach at a blue blood.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2019, 01:20:04 PM »

Nothing like under Cream, new staff every year, guy was such a dbag
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2019, 01:20:42 PM »
I see another MU alum is Chair of the Board.

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2019, 01:29:45 PM »
Travis was not an assistant as he was director of whatever.  Phelps got a promotion to associate head coach at a blue blood.

I forgot about the Travis difference. In neither case was I suggesting that Wojo was difficult to work with. All of them are explainable.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2019, 01:38:58 PM »
In this thread, scoop feels a little like Ben Kenobi describing Mos Eisley.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2019, 01:41:08 PM »
In this thread, scoop feels a little like Ben Kenobi describing Mos Eisley.

Evergreen post.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2019, 01:43:22 PM »

He's definitely determined enough.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2019, 01:44:50 PM »
Question about the Innovation Alley piece that got $1M. I know that is what the plan is for the future business school and connecting with the engineering school. Is this money meant for an engineering program? Or is it for the creation of the business school?

manny31

• Starter
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2019, 01:52:28 PM »
Here you go...
Created in 2014 by Opus Dean Kristina Ropella, Marquette’s Opus College of Engineering has a nationally recognized, award-winning leadership development program called Engineers in the Lead, or E-Lead. The Swobodas will dedicate $1 million of their gift toward Innovation Alley programming to immediately double the size of the three-year leadership program. In fall 2019, the program will consist of 20 engineering students and 20 students from disciplines across the university. The 40 students will begin as a cohort and a new set of 40 students will follow each additional year.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2019, 01:59:26 PM »
Nothing like under Cream, new staff every year, guy was such a dbag

yeah, such a "dbag" that he had guys go on to be head coaches and therefore had to replace them. 

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2019, 03:33:21 PM »

You also have to be able to pick out a soccer ball from an array of six different balls, tho.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2019, 01:44:58 PM »
Doubtful. If they are buddies of Wojo as some here have posted, it likely means that the BOT wants to maintain the vanilla mediocrity of Wojo as exemplified by his season ending meltdown, fiasco of the Hausers, and thoroughly outclassed by a 12 seed mid major in first round of Dance.
At any rate. it was a nice gift.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2019, 04:06:52 PM »
Maybe you should donate vast sums or offer to if they pull the plug on the mediocrity you see.  Take out an ad, or perhaps become the commencement speaker where you can publicly launch the campaign.
Keep slurping the wojo  kool aid. After all we are trending upward with the most recent events

burger

• All American
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2019, 04:15:24 PM »
CREE was a very good deal at $2 when they had "exclusive" technology all the way up to $120ish....

Now everyone has caught up.....

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2019, 04:25:01 PM »
Here you go...
Created in 2014 by Opus Dean Kristina Ropella, Marquette’s Opus College of Engineering has a nationally recognized, award-winning leadership development program called Engineers in the Lead, or E-Lead. The Swobodas will dedicate $1 million of their gift toward Innovation Alley programming to immediately double the size of the three-year leadership program. In fall 2019, the program will consist of 20 engineering students and 20 students from disciplines across the university. The 40 students will begin as a cohort and a new set of 40 students will follow each additional year.

Thanks! As a Business school grad, I always keep my fingers crossed to hear an announcement of a new school. I’ll keep doing my part by buying a lottery ticket.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2019, 09:29:39 PM »
CREE was a very good deal at $2 when they had "exclusive" technology all the way up to $120ish....

Now everyone has caught up.....

Good time to retire and create a foundation, aina?  Great job building by Chuck.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2019, 11:05:07 PM »
Keep slurping the wojo  kool aid. After all we are trending upward with the most recent events

Money talks and bs walks...better start to use those $$$
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2019, 11:07:29 PM »
Doubtful. If they are buddies of Wojo as some here have posted, it likely means that the BOT wants to maintain the vanilla mediocrity of Wojo as exemplified by his season ending meltdown, fiasco of the Hausers, and thoroughly outclassed by a 12 seed mid major in first round of Dance.
At any rate. it was a nice gift.

You bitched about Crean

You bitches about Buzz

You just aren’t happy

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2019, 08:23:55 AM »
Question about the Innovation Alley piece that got $1M. I know that is what the plan is for the future business school and connecting with the engineering school. Is this money meant for an engineering program? Or is it for the creation of the business school?

Innovation was going to be a physical space connecting the Engineering school and the new B-school that was going to be put where the Rec Center currently is. However, it now appears the B-School is going to be put where McCormick is so I doubt there are going to do a physical bridge between the two.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2019, 12:11:57 PM »
Innovation was going to be a physical space connecting the Engineering school and the new B-school that was going to be put where the Rec Center currently is. However, it now appears the B-School is going to be put where McCormick is so I doubt there are going to do a physical bridge between the two.

I thought it was established that the new rec center is going to be where McCormick is currently.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2019, 12:22:19 PM »
I thought it was established that the new rec center is going to be where McCormick is currently.

That's what the Master plan said....that plan was since changed as the result of some initial funding proposals from a donor, that donor is since out but the plan change is still in effect.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2019, 12:29:46 PM »
That's what the Master plan said....that plan was since changed as the result of some initial funding proposals from a donor, that donor is since out but the plan change is still in effect.

That's too bad, I thought it would be an excellent place for the new rec center. I always liked that the residential/social part of MU was on the north side of Wisconsin Avenue and the academic portion on the south side.

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2019, 12:31:48 PM »

Didn't the original plan also call for a bridge connecting the new engineering building to the old ones across 16th St.?

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2019, 01:12:27 PM »

Any idea how Lovell actually does with the big money fishing?

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2019, 06:09:24 PM »
You bitched about Crean

You bitches about Buzz

You just aren’t happy
I am happy. The jury Is now on on Wojoos coaching  acumen. He is mediocre. Everybody realizes it, some  like you  continue to make excuses for him. So  we know exactly where people stand
Thay should make one and all very happy.
BTW for the record, ratings of Mu coaches starting with Al
Al legend, an all time great
Hank pretty damn good
Rick above avg. Fans drove him away
Dukiet terrible
Newell a fiasco
O' Neil pretty good
Crean above average
Deane a bit above average
Buzz pretty good  but so full of bull crap he deserves whatever happens to him
Wojo the millenials choice because of his high tech skills  but totally mediocre which gits with millenial philosophy
My apologies to one and all if I missed anybody and the chronological otder.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2019, 08:06:42 PM »
I am happy. The jury Is now on on Wojoos coaching  acumen. He is mediocre. Everybody realizes it, some  like you  continue to make excuses for him. So  we know exactly where people stand
Thay should make one and all very happy.
BTW for the record, ratings of Mu coaches starting with Al
Al legend, an all time great
Hank pretty damn good
Rick above avg. Fans drove him away
Dukiet terrible
Newell a fiasco
O' Neil pretty good
Crean above average
Deane a bit above average
Buzz pretty good  but so full of bull crap he deserves whatever happens to him
Wojo the millenials choice because of his high tech skills  but totally mediocre which gits with millenial philosophy
My apologies to one and all if I missed anybody and the chronological otder.

Yet if I go back and read your comments you bitched constantly about some of those guys you say above average or good.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2019, 07:56:11 AM »
Anyone else find it .. strange .. that someone gives 7 figures to a basketball program?  I mean, I understand sloshing some blue & gold money around, but 7 figures is in the real "philanthropy" arena.

The MUBB program consistently turns millions in profit.  With this, it seems it'll just spin off an additional $1.5m to fund other sports, so I guess there's that.

Just sayin .. of the universe of things you can do with your charity picking what, at its core is an entertainment business seems like an odd charitable priority.

(And yes, while there can be tremendous benefits to the "student athlete" and learning teamwork skills, the billions of dollars that slosh around college sports isn't about scholarly assistance, it's mostly entertainment.)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2019, 08:00:41 AM »
Nope, not strange in one bit.

Especially if other dollars are also donated elsewhere.  B-ball May make a profit, but it goes to fund the other unprofitable 13 sports.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2019, 08:07:29 AM »
Anyone else find it .. strange .. that someone gives 7 figures to a basketball program?  I mean, I understand sloshing some blue & gold money around, but 7 figures is in the real "philanthropy" arena.

The MUBB program consistently turns millions in profit.  With this, it seems it'll just spin off an additional $1.5m to fund other sports, so I guess there's that.

Just sayin .. of the universe of things you can do with your charity picking what, at its core is an entertainment business seems like an odd charitable priority.

(And yes, while there can be tremendous benefits to the "student athlete" and learning teamwork skills, the billions of dollars that slosh around college sports isn't about scholarly assistance, it's mostly entertainment.)

Not necessarily disagreeing with you, but 1) he is tied pretty strongly to MU hoops, and 2) he also contributes to a lot of other charitable causes as well.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2019, 08:14:53 AM »

^ban dis guy

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2019, 08:51:31 AM »

The ageist anti-millenial crap that you spew is just plain wrong.  I am a millenial, and there is NOTHING about millenials that suggest we are ok with mediocrity.  We want to win REALLY badly.  We just also have an understanding that "win at all costs" is an insane, unrealistic, and often immoral philosophy.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2019, 08:55:20 AM »
The ageist anti-millenial crap that you spew is just plain wrong.  I am a millenial, and there is NOTHING about millenials that suggest we are ok with mediocrity.  We want to win REALLY badly.  We just also have an understanding that "win at all costs" is an insane, unrealistic, and often immoral philosophy.

That’s ok, he is on the other side where his memory is completely shot.  Newell, was never even our coach and he lists him.  Majerus, who was a fine coach as an assistant and outside MU, never got to the ncaa tournament....something he screams about with Wojo who has made 2 of the last 3... the irony.  Rick also had trouble landing the top players in the state which he and others also bitch about with Wojo.  Rick had one season of 20 wins, and needed the NIT victories to get there.  So take his and other complainers with a massive grain of salt. 

PS.  I respect the hell out of Rick as a coach and tactician, that doesn’t mean he was successful at MU as a head coach

« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 08:56:55 AM by Cheeks »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2019, 09:18:09 AM »

Technically it's not ageist. Ageism only works going up not going down.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2019, 09:19:43 AM »

Men's basketball is the most profitable corner of Marquette. The more money that makes, the more the rest of the university makes. So while it's core may be entertainment, it benefits education.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2019, 09:39:09 AM »
Men's basketball is the most profitable corner of Marquette. The more money that makes, the more the rest of the university makes. So while it's core may be entertainment, it benefits education.

Imagine what Marquette would be like if they never had a strong basketball program.  When they hired Al, Marquette was largely a commuter school that had very few students outside of a 100-mile radius.  Outside that circle, who had even heard of Marquette, especially if you weren't Catholic?

How many buildings on campus existed before 1964?  How big was the endowment? 
Have some patience, FFS.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2019, 10:20:47 AM »
Imagine what Marquette would be like if they never had a strong basketball program.  When they hired Al, Marquette was largely a commuter school that had very few students outside of a 100-mile radius.  Outside that circle, who had even heard of Marquette, especially if you weren't Catholic?

Same for a little school in South Bend, Indiana.  A little school in Spokane, WA, etc, etc

Agree completely. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2019, 11:04:59 AM »
I'm on record as saying MU needs to realize the importance of men's basketball, not just to the other non-revenue sports, but for the overall enhancement, benefit, and improvement of the entire University.
At this point in time, however, I think you're embellishing Marquette's place in the scheme of higher education relative to its competitors.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2019, 11:52:46 AM »

Exactly.  Boston College was where rich people sent their kids too dumb to get into better schools. Then Doug Flutie came along (and it's why the phenomenon is called "The Flutie Factor" in academia) and BC blew up and is now a top 40 school nationally.

At MU we closed a dorm in the 90's, enrollment was under 1500 for the entering classes in the mid 90's. After the Final Four enrollment was capped at 1800.

And, Gonzaga may be the best example. The school was dying, enrollment was down to less than 600 for the 1998-99 entering class, they were experiencing mass layoffs, buildings were closing. There was even a vote scheduled in April to drop athletics to D3. Then, the slipper fit...

http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/119205/how-the-basketball-program-helped-gonzaga-university-flourish