[Today at 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 05:33:31 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by BLWarrior91
[Today at 05:19:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[Today at 03:05:13 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Official Cubs Playoff page  (Read 31305 times)

Eye

• All American
Re: The Official Cubs Playoff page
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2008, 02:53:30 AM »
Midnight Madness begins in 20 days, 15 hours and 8 minutes.

In all seriousness, would anybody else in baseball be dumb enough to take Soriano for 6 more years for $102 million? Theriot isn't a major-league shortstop. Lee isn't a No. 3 hitter anymore. Ramirez is a mini-Soriano. DeRosa is a 9th man, not a starter, on a World Series team. Would anybody else in baseball be willing to take Fukudome for 3 more years at $36 million? Dempster is lousy in a big spot (see his time as closer). God only knows what you're going to get out of Zambrano in a big spot. God only knows if Harden's arm will stay attached. Marquis is a circus every time he's out there.

The problem? Soriano, Lee, Ramirez, DeRosa, Fukudome, Zambrano and Harden are all locked up long term, and/or coming back because they're still under team control. This team needs a shakeup and a LEADER, someone who has more talent than Soriano and Ramirez that will get them to give a **** defensively, to run the bases properly, and put in the effort comisserate with their skills. I don't have any immediate suggestions who that is. Within the roster, Soto shows that potential, but is too young (unfortunately the two best free agents that could provide that are Pudge and Varitek, and both have deteriorating skills at a position where the Cubs have their best young player). Lee as I said just doesn't have the skills to be that guy. Maybe it's Wood, but it's hard for the closer to fill that role, too, due to the up-and-down nature of that job (Thanks for nothing Riggleman, Baylor and Baker).

It's like Randy Moss with the Raiders. He's the most talented player on the team, so no one can get him to play any better, and it won't be the coach very often in professional sports, even a manager who's won three World Series between his time as a player and coach. Moss is just fine as a complimentary player to Tom Brady in New England. Manny Ramirez is just fine as a relative complimentary player to Ortiz, Beckett and Schilling in Boston. The Cubs need someone with more talent as a player or more pull as a manager than Soriano and Ramirez have.

Yes, these players are few and far between, but look at the recent champions in professional sports. Talent and LEADERSHIP. Tim Duncan. Dwyane Wade. Shaquille O' Neal. Tom Brady. Peyton Manning. Albert Pujols. Derek Jeter. The Cubs need someone like that sooner rather than later. Easier said than done, but the current group of players aren't good enough to get it done in a pressure spot.
GO WARRIORS!

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2008, 04:40:20 AM »
Well we can officially end this topic...HAHAHA.  Was it PTM who used to have his signature as the Cubs fan sweeping?  Could you please find me a similar one just with a Dodgers fan instead of a Cubs one?  Ironic that you had that.  Gosh, the Brewers are playing later in the year than the Cubs are...WEIRD!

Anyway, I hear there is a party for all Cardinals, White Sox, and Brewers fans at Marquette next weekend officially celebrating a century.  You have to come dressed up as something important that has happened since the Cubs have won a World Series (so dress up as the Titanic or something).  Not sure where, but that's what's happening.  "Next year's our year!"

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/858119/choke_cubs_choke_go_cubs_go_parody/

Officially 100 years and counting:

Pure class.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 11:20:52 AM by MarquetteFan94 »

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2008, 10:54:23 AM »
There's no sense in rubbing it in. The Cubs got swept by the hottest team in baseball and there's no shame in that. As a life long Brewers fan, just making it to the post season is an amazing feat. I was 5 years old in 1982 and I really thought that we would never see playoff baseball in Milwaukee ever again. I'm amazed by the accomplishments of the Brewers this season and truly believe that 2008 has already been a magical year for Brewers fans. Although Cubs fans have had to wait a century to win a World Series, it will always trump a team that has NEVER won a World Series.

I agree that watching the Cubs get swept is probably great news for the anti-Cubs fans, but the one thing I'm pretty sure about is that the Cubs will always field a more competitive team than the Brewers year in and year out...as is usually the case when comparing a small market franchise to the Chicago's, the New York's, the Boston's and the Los Angeles' of the sports world.

It's was a huge loss for Cubs fans but only a minor victory for us Brewers fans. No sense in rubbing it in. Now let's hope Suppan pitches his a$$ off today and send this thing back to Phily!!!

farmdaddy

• Starter
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2008, 11:57:42 AM »
101 is my new favorite number!!!!!

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2008, 12:54:14 PM »
There's no sense in rubbing it in. The Cubs got swept by the hottest team in baseball and there's no shame in that. As a life long Brewers fan, just making it to the post season is an amazing feat. I was 5 years old in 1982 and I really thought that we would never see playoff baseball in Milwaukee ever again. I'm amazed by the accomplishments of the Brewers this season and truly believe that 2008 has already been a magical year for Brewers fans. Although Cubs fans have had to wait a century to win a World Series, it will always trump a team that has NEVER won a World Series.

I agree that watching the Cubs get swept is probably great news for the anti-Cubs fans, but the one thing I'm pretty sure about is that the Cubs will always field a more competitive team than the Brewers year in and year out...as is usually the case when comparing a small market franchise to the Chicago's, the New York's, the Boston's and the Los Angeles' of the sports world.

It's was a huge loss for Cubs fans but only a minor victory for us Brewers fans. No sense in rubbing it in. Now let's hope Suppan pitches his a$$ off today and send this thing back to Phily!!!

They may usually be better than the Brewers because of payroll but watching their incompetence is somewhat entertaining.   Everybody stops and watches a train wreck. 

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2008, 01:35:04 PM »
In the end, people who legitimately take joy out of other peoples failures and unhapiness are misearable, unhappy people...and most likely failures themselves.

Karma is a bitch.

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2008, 02:14:49 PM »
In the end, people who legitimately take joy out of other peoples failures and unhapiness are misearable, unhappy people...and most likely failures themselves.

Karma is a bitch.

Or maybe those happy that the Cubs lost are acting in response to the endless boorish behavior of certain Cubs fans, who spent the better part of this summer going out of their way to needle Brewers fans whenever possible.  Of course, those who could be deemed guilty of that on this board have gone ghost over the past couple days.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2008, 02:40:56 PM »
1.) Bitching about payroll is as pathetic as being the last pick in dodgeball.

2.) You do realize the Brewers are in the top third of baseball payrolls, and I'm sure CC put them even higher for those games.

3.) The Dodgers have been the hottest team, but the Cubs had their fate in their hands. Beat the Brewers for the final game and face the Mets.

On that note, great seasons for all Illini/Wisco teams. Hopefully, the Sox can keep trudging.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2008, 02:57:53 PM »
I dunno, Cooby.  If a Cubs fan utters "Karma is a bitch" you should take them seriously.   They supremely know.  It's their wheelhouse.  

Karma is a bitch,
Population: Chicago

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2008, 02:59:45 PM »
Or maybe those happy that the Cubs lost are acting in response to the endless boorish behavior of certain Cubs fans, who spent the better part of this summer going out of their way to needle Brewers fans whenever possible.  Of course, those who could be deemed guilty of that on this board have gone ghost over the past couple days.

Well, wasn't that the entire point of the Cubs/Brewers Pissing Match Thread?  Sure seemd like the needling went both ways all season long.

Anyway, huge congratulations to the Brewers for their first playoff win in 26 years.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 03:02:11 PM by MarquetteFan94 »

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2008, 03:49:23 PM »
I dunno, Cooby.  If a Cubs fan utters "Karma is a bitch" you should take them seriously.   They supremely know.  It's their wheelhouse.  

Karma is a bitch,
Population: Chicago

I'm Catholic.  I don't believe in karma.  Or curses.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2008, 03:55:33 PM »
Anyway, huge congratulations to the Brewers for their first playoff win in 26 years.
Down to zero years :).

Cubs are at 5.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #62 on: October 05, 2008, 06:25:21 PM »
Brewers fans are really being dicks today. You have won ONE playoff game in 26 years. Congratulations. I know at least 15 Cubs fans who were at the game rooting for the Brewers today, myself included. Yet I get to the bar afterward and I get ripped on mercilessly by jackass Bewers fans for cheering on my team. It was very frustraing, I would think after 26 years of losing you would at least show a little class and not rip on people when they are already pissed about losing and dropping a deuce in the playoffs. Yes the Cubs sucked, most Cubs fans will acknowldge that. Let them fester in their own frustration rather than rubbing it in.

<Rant Off>

Maybe its just Brewer fans exhaling after a year of hearing that this was the one, by the media, fans, everyone in baseball. 

What did the Cubs manage to do, not play competitive throughout the playoffs.  Maybe we also rub it in because Cubs fans infiltrate our building and act like they own the place.  Ever think of that one?  It's Milwaukee, not Chicago, you want a Cubs lovefest, go to Wrigleyville, you want to be heckled for losing, come to Milwaukee

This would be like if a Yankees fan would be upset by going into Beantown and not understanding why they are being booed out of the bars.  Give me a break.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

🏀

• All American
« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2008, 09:44:47 PM »
Except it would be different if Fenway was filled with Yanks fans. Since that doesn't happen, your logic fails.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2008, 10:14:21 PM »
Except it would be different if Fenway was filled with Yanks fans. Since that doesn't happen, your logic fails.

Still doesn't change the fact that you are upset to be heckled in Milwaukee when you are a Cubs fan.  If I strutted around Wrigleyville with Brewers apparel on, I would hope that someone would say something to me, thats what is suppose to happen.

But this is becoming off topic.. this is the playoff thread.

Is Lou out of touch?  When asked after game 2 why the players aren't playing to their potential his answer was "I don't know why, I am just the manager".

Honestly, there is no reason why you were swept out of the playoffs.  The team looked tight, didn't play with the mentality that was throughout the season.

Also, holy crap Wrigley fans get off your teams back, I get it, you haven't won in a while, but watching game 1, Cubs up 2-0, Dodgers hit a grand slam, and the fans threw the team under the bus.  It was the 5th inning, only down 2, I have seen the Cubs come back, but the fans weren't behind the team, which kills any sort of home field advantage.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 10:17:05 PM by Mayor McCheese »
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

🏀

• All American
« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2008, 10:19:59 PM »
Oh, that's the point. I don't mind getting heckled at Miller Park. I have come to enjoy it actually. Nothing beats out heckling Wisconsin because it always comes back as "oh yeah... Is that right?.... Well... Um.... GO PACKERS." In which I then agree and discuss how Aaron Kampman is severly underappreciated.

farmdaddy

• Starter
« Reply #66 on: October 06, 2008, 12:13:53 AM »

+101

Eye

• All American
« Reply #67 on: October 06, 2008, 03:30:52 AM »
"If I strutted around Wrigleyville with Brewers apparel on, I would hope that someone would say something to me, thats what is suppose to happen"

I live in La Crosse and went to the Cubs - Brewers game at Wrigley Sept. 18. 9 Brewers fans; 3 Cubs fan in the van. There were probably 8,000 Brewers fans there that day. I didn't hear one single solitary soul that day give a Brewers fan grief despite it working the other way a lot.

What most Brewers fans fail to realize is that most Cubs fans don't hate the Brewers; they hate the Cardinals, White Sox and Mets much more. It's not a rivalry unless both sides think it is, and in this case, the Brewers fans see it as a rivalry, most Cubs fans see it as another game.

GO WARRIORS!

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #68 on: October 06, 2008, 07:36:53 AM »
Wasn't there another thread for all this talk about brewers fans and cubs fans?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2008, 08:38:42 AM »
IMO Philly was 'hotter' than the Dodgers.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #70 on: October 06, 2008, 10:31:02 AM »
What most Brewers fans fail to realize is that most Cubs fans don't hate the Brewers; they hate the Cardinals, White Sox and Mets much more. It's not a rivalry unless both sides think it is, and in this case, the Brewers fans see it as a rivalry, most Cubs fans see it as another game.

You might want to remind a lot of Cubs fans of that.  I have spoken to too many "Cubs fans" on campus who think the Brewers, and not the Cardinals,  are their most hated hated rival.  If they don't know who their biggest rival is they are not true Cubs fans.  It's supposed to be similar to how UW-Madison gets excited to play their "hated rival" Michigan, but UM only gives a damn about Ohio State.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #71 on: October 06, 2008, 11:11:06 AM »
You might want to remind a lot of Cubs fans of that.  I have spoken to too many "Cubs fans" on campus who think the Brewers, and not the Cardinals,  are their most hated hated rival.  If they don't know who their biggest rival is they are not true Cubs fans.  It's supposed to be similar to how UW-Madison gets excited to play their "hated rival" Michigan, but UM only gives a damn about Ohio State.

Any reasonably long-time Cubs fan does not consider the Brewers their most hated rival....it's not even close....we've been through this before.  They might be a distant third today because of the last 2 years.    You cannot replace a rivalry that started in the 19th Century (with the Cardinals) or an intra-city rivalry with the White Sox that has divided the city for well over a century.  It's exactly similar to UW-Madison/Michigan, DePaul/Marquette, etc...one team's fan base puts a lot more weight on it.  In order for a rivaly to be true there has to be a long history and both fan bases have to want to passionately beat the other team....simply not there with the Brewers.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #72 on: October 06, 2008, 08:04:40 PM »
The Cubs were the only team to make the playoffs and not win a game in them.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #73 on: October 06, 2008, 08:23:18 PM »
The Cubs were the only team to make the playoffs and not win a game in them.

Were you just able to figure that out?  Glad to see that MU education paying off.

The Brewers have won 1 playoff game in 26 years and have not won their division during that same period.  Enjoy that roster next year....back to oblivion and national irrelevance....larger inferiority complex ensues.

BTW, the Cubs also have not won the WS in 100 years....and we landed on the moon.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2008, 08:41:00 PM »
BTW, the Cubs also have not won the WS in 100 years....and we landed on the moon.
Thank you for the costume idea for dressing up as something important that happened since the Cubs last won the World Series, I'll be Neil Armstrong :).

And if I am, as you seem to be implying, not very bright, and we received an education from the same institution, and assuming you've already graduated from Marquette and their admissions standards are becoming tougher and tougher and I am currently at Marquette, what does that say about how smart you are?

The Brewers have 1 win in the last year in the playoffs, and the Cubs have 0 in the past 5 years.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 08:43:19 PM by wadesworld »