[Today at 08:37:46 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:46:15 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: So what are you doing for your country tomorrow? Voting, I hope.  (Read 7725 times)

Tommy Brice for Coach

• Team Captain
  • Tommy Brice is my hero
So what are you doing for your country tomorrow? Voting, I hope.
« on: November 03, 2008, 11:06:27 PM »
I wrote this up and have been passing it around amongst my peer group... if reading this doesn't motivate someone out there to vote, then I don't know what will :)

Tomorrow, from 7 AM-8 PM, the polls are open to vote for President of the United States here in the state of Wisconsin.

Tomorrow you have your chance to make your mark on the direction of the free world for the next four years.

Think about that.. YOU can have a say in international politics. YOU! Joe Warrior at Marquette University studying to be an Engineer, or a Businessman, or a Nurse has a vote in who controls our country for the next four years.

So many people around the world would love to be you and have that freedom. So many people have died so you could have that freedom. Wouldn't you be letting them down if you didn't exercise it?

We tell people to finish the food on their plate because there are hungry people in this world. I ask you to vote tomorrow because there are people yearning for democracy all over the world.

Don't make an excuse not to. Not educated? Get educated at http://barackobama.com (Barack Obama's Website) and http://johnmccain.com (John McCain's website). Not registered? You can register at the polls in Wisconsin on the day of the election with an ID and proof of residency (a piece of mail will do). Don't know where to vote? Visit http://mu.edu/vote. These things only take a few minutes. Don't put them off.

Your choice of candidate can effect your family, career, and future. Take 15 minutes and vote tomorrow, Tuesday November 4th.

MUfan12

• All American
Re: So what are you doing for your country tomorrow? Voting, I hope.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 11:47:47 PM »
Not to pick on you, or get too political... but these rah rah, go and vote messages are so tired and cliche. If you need anyone telling you to vote, or why it's important, do us all a favor and stay home.

Voting is both a right and a privilege... a privilege that not enough take seriously enough to give its due consideration and research. I'd rather have 30% turnout, and have each of those votes be informed than have 100% turnout, with 70% not having a concrete reason why, other than a celebrity, or their friend told them to.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 05:54:50 AM »
Not to pick on you, or get too political... but these rah rah, go and vote messages are so tired and cliche. If you need anyone telling you to vote, or why it's important, do us all a favor and stay home.

Voting is both a right and a privilege... a privilege that not enough take seriously enough to give its due consideration and research. I'd rather have 30% turnout, and have each of those votes be informed than have 100% turnout, with 70% not having a concrete reason why, other than a celebrity, or their friend told them to.

Well said.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 07:23:06 AM »

Applause. Unfortunately, MTV campaigns and such are encouraging this type of behavior. This will evidently be present this election more than any other. The celebrities of the nation have abused their exposure to the masses regarding elections.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 07:36:34 AM »
I am casting my vote based on the last robocall I get.

(Seriously .. we've received at least 50 calls.   Is anyone listening to these any more?  The first few, you listen to out of curiosity, but after a dozen, isn't everyone just hanging up after 2 seconds?)

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 07:45:48 AM »
I feel so left out, as I did not receive one robo call.  Oh well, guess i will have to do research myself.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 08:27:46 AM »
Voting is irrational.  Do it anyway.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 09:00:58 AM »
they dont robo call people in the madison area...

no reason to :D

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
  • Wish I was at the Maui Invitational
    • The Truth
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 09:57:21 AM »
I'm rooting for a bloody coup, followed by enlightened facist rule.
“When I was losing, they called me nuts. When I was winning they called me eccentric.”

~Al McGuire

Correct morals arise from knowing what man is—not what do-gooders and well-meaning old Aunt Nellies would like him to be.
~Robert Heinlein

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 10:03:05 AM »
The only robocalls I get are from Buzz Williams and Lazar Hayward.

But +1 to what MUFan12 said...

JSwarriors08

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 10:08:10 AM »

Amen to that... I'm sick of bubble-gum voting (e.g. everyone on campus is voting for so and so, so I'll vote that way too so I can get a cool poster or sticker).

chapman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 07:23:36 AM »

Amen to that... I'm sick of bubble-gum voting (e.g. everyone on campus is voting for so and so, so I'll vote that way too so I can get a cool poster or sticker).

The crazies were getting on my nerves somewhat yesterday, which is another reason I'm glad it's all over.  If I was one of the people who found one of those large stickers stuck to the window of my car, I think I would have thrown a hissy fit.  There is no reason to do something bordering on vandalism when sticking stickers or literature under the wiper blade like a normal person will suffice.  And also no reason for a large group of people to march through the lobby of the library screaming three times when people are trying to get work done.  Also no excuse for a group of people to walk around with signs of the losing candidate afterward looking for a fight.  It would be nice if people had the maturity to show their support by acting in ways their candidate would actually be proud of. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 07:50:54 AM »
Imagine all the people living life in peace...

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2008, 11:11:11 AM »
If I was one of the people who found one of those large stickers stuck to the window of my car, I think I would have thrown a hissy fit.

They weren't really a big deal (at least in my mind.) They were like papery window clings, came off very easily, and left no mark.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2008, 11:13:50 AM »
Applause. Unfortunately, MTV campaigns and such are encouraging this type of behavior. This will evidently be present this election more than any other. The celebrities of the nation have abused their exposure to the masses regarding elections.

yes because using what means you have to influence an election in favor of causes you believe in is 'abuse'.

JSwarriors08

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2008, 01:06:11 PM »
They weren't really a big deal (at least in my mind.) They were like papery window clings, came off very easily, and left no mark.

When someone places political posters on my property without my permission I consider it vandalism.  Just because they are easy to take off doesn't mean it's acceptable.  These people used other peoples' property to advertise a political position that the owner may not have endorsed.  It was obnoxious and immature.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2008, 05:36:58 PM »
When someone places political posters on my property without my permission I consider it vandalism.  Just because they are easy to take off doesn't mean it's acceptable.  These people used other peoples' property to advertise a political position that the owner may not have endorsed.  It was obnoxious and immature.

What's in your craw?

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2008, 06:51:27 PM »

+1

JSwarriors08

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2008, 10:08:08 AM »
What's in your craw?

There is nothing specifically "in my craw."  I simply find it annoying and inappropriate when I awake to find my car and apartment building covered in posters and chalk telling me who I should vote for.  When I cannot even walk to class without being stopped and reminded to vote for said candidate by (no exaggeration) 5 different individuals and reprimanded for telling them that I will not support their candidate it simply irks me.  I find it demeaning to my rights as an intelligent voter that I should be inundated with such pressure and propaganda.  Maybe this encroachment upon my inherent political rights is what's "in my craw."

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2008, 10:20:54 AM »
There is nothing specifically "in my craw."  I simply find it annoying and inappropriate when I awake to find my car and apartment building covered in posters and chalk telling me who I should vote for.  When I cannot even walk to class without being stopped and reminded to vote for said candidate by (no exaggeration) 5 different individuals and reprimanded for telling them that I will not support their candidate it simply irks me.  I find it demeaning to my rights as an intelligent voter that I should be inundated with such pressure and propaganda.  Maybe this encroachment upon my inherent political rights is what's "in my craw."

+1

Tommy Brice for Coach

• Team Captain
  • Tommy Brice is my hero
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2008, 02:27:56 AM »
Holy crap. I meant for this to be a reminder to vote, not some all out slug fest about annoying supporters, window clings, and bubble gum voting.

I really don't understand the reaction I get sometimes when I simply try to convince people to simply vote. (I'm not talking about voting for a candidate, I am talking about voting period.) All I was trying to say was that it was election day, voting is (at least I believe) important, and I'd like to see you vote too, no matter the candidate. I even put links to both candidate's website and suggested doing some research. I would say if that you read something, somewhere, about the candidates before you voted, then you aren't "bubble gum" voting. You are making an informed decision.

I didn't mean for this and don't want this to get political. I hated the way many MUScoopers treated each other when politics was allowed. Let's not go back down that road.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2008, 08:37:47 AM »
The elections are done and so is this thread.  Locked. :)
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

feedback