[Today at 05:19:00 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by brewcity77
[Today at 04:24:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[Today at 03:05:13 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 12:46:07 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: New Buildings on Campus  (Read 7233 times)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
New Buildings on Campus
« on: October 17, 2008, 02:10:28 PM »
A university engineer came and spoke to our Construction Management class.  it was pretty interesting to see the renderings they have for the new buildings around campus.

The office of the architect also has a website now where you can view the projects.
http://www.marquette.edu/architect/index.shtml

A new student services building, Zilber Hall, will be built on the north side of Wisconsin Avenue between 12th Street and 13th Street on the site of the former 1212 Building and Parent's Park. The 130,000 square foot, four story building, will bring together the Offices of the Bursar, Registrar, and Student Financial Aid in a common service center. In addition, the Offices of Admissions, University Advancement, and and other administrative units will be located in Zilber Hall. The building will be constructed of masonry and precast concrete panels to frame windows which are designed to maximize the amount of natural light in the interior workspaces. The long building mass is scaled both horizontally and vertically to fit into the campus context.

Eckstein Hall will be a signature building on a prominent site. The magnificent glass facade will be visible to the thousands who pass daily through the Marquette Interchange. The 200,000 square foot building will include two courtrooms, classrooms, faculty office suites, library space with a two story reading room, a conference center and a cafe. Eckstein Hall's dominant interior feature will be the Zilber Forum, a spacious gathering and meeting space which will be the heart of the building. Below the building will be a two-level, 170-space parking garage. The new Law School is expected to open in fall 2010.

Other Notes:
- The 1628 Apartments will be used as a Sophomore dorm next year for the Fall 2009 semester. 
- Cudahy hall was originally designed to be a brick building to match the other buildings on campus but Katherine Cudahy's son refused pay for a building named after his mother which was brick.  He wanted granite, thus the granite.
- Zilber Hall's dimensions are 300' x 75'.
- The law school will have a cafe, parking garage, and a huge video board on the inside.
- The Ecksteins threw in an extra million to have the library named after themselves
- The working title for the new engineering building is The Discovery Learning Center.
- Once the new engineering building is complete, other programs such as biology will use the old engineering building.

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
Re: New Buildings on Campus
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 02:24:33 PM »
Wow, these new buildings get better and better! The campus has come so far...

It brings a ton of pride, doesn't it?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 02:33:06 PM »
CHRIS SAUVE

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 02:46:01 PM »
I like how the rendering of the Zilber hall comes complete with shadow from Gesu or Marquette Hall.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 02:50:56 PM by jaybilaswho? »
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

JSwarriors08

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 03:29:19 PM »
I worked in University Advancement over the summer and we had briefings on these projects.  Astronomical cost, but it's awesome to see the university flourishing and finding the donor backing for such incredible new facilities.  The engineering tower is going to be unbelievable.

Lucky the freshmen at Abbottsford will get a nice view into the offices of Zilber hall now.  I'm sure they'll appreciate that over the beautiful view of Gesu they once enjoyed!  ;D

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 03:42:07 PM »
Absolutely great....where is the new Engineering building going to be?  Any renderings of that floating around?

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 03:52:32 PM »
the new engineering building isn't finalized with their funding and doesn't have a finalized rendering. It will be on the Southwest corner of 16th and Kilbourn where a few apartment buildings are currently.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 03:55:16 PM »
some great post-modern designs.  Well done mu.

jce

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 04:04:11 PM »
Just my opinion but...

Eckstein: Beautiful

Zilber: Godawful  (looks like a fortress)

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 04:12:58 PM »
Just my opinion but...

Zilber matches Marquette Hall and Schroeder complex.  It's going to mirror the other side of the street. It'll look great once they are done.

Gwaki

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 05:58:32 PM »
I like the look of both buildings

jce

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2008, 07:21:27 AM »
Zilber matches Marquette Hall and Schroeder complex.  It's going to mirror the other side of the street. It'll look great once they are done.

We're using the Schroder Complex as a model???

All kidding aside...You're probably right.  Oftentimes the drawings of buildings look worse than the actuals when they are built.  It is nice to see that they have the money to do this kind of stuff when many other private colleges are facing tough times.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2008, 08:09:53 AM »
Just my opinion but...

I think the Zilber has the feel of Marquette Hall (see logo).

Then again, I also had a flashback to my childhood when my Mom would be watching General Hospital.

deerchaser

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2008, 02:43:49 PM »
This may be a little nitpicky, but I thought the current name of the Engineering building is the Discovery Learning Complex, as the College already has a Discovery Learning Center.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2008, 04:23:31 PM »
This may be a little nitpicky, but I thought the current name of the Engineering building is the Discovery Learning Complex, as the College already has a Discovery Learning Center.

that's the working name as of now. Once funding is done, it will likely change.

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2008, 04:44:18 PM »
I always thought Parent's Park was called Bum Park. All kidding aside, those buildings look great.

Mufflers

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2008, 02:55:33 PM »
Just my opinion but...

I agree entirely.  The Zilber building actually reminds me of the Marquette High School building.  I would like to think each building would be a jewel with the money that is being poured into them.  Although fitting in with the surroundings is important in architecture, it seems like there could have been a better solution. 

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2008, 03:14:48 PM »
Lucky the freshmen at Abbottsford ...

I know it has been a few years (6 to be exact) since I was on campus, but what the heck is Abbottsford.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Mufflers

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2008, 03:55:05 PM »
The Abbottsford is across from Schroeder on 13th St.  It has the open grass area to its north and parent's park to its south.  Previously, the Abbottsford was used as graduate apartments.  However, I think freshman started moving in a few years ago due to lack of capacity other places.

MARQKC

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2008, 01:26:53 AM »
Fine new buildings. Still, I miss the U-Store, Grebe's Bakery, Cardijn Bookstore and Tory Hill.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2008, 09:45:44 PM »
Fine new buildings. Still, I miss the U-Store, Grebe's Bakery, Cardijn Bookstore and Tory Hill.

Ohhhhhhh yeah.  :D
SS Marquette

GoMarq09

• Walk-On
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2008, 03:22:10 PM »
If you go to this page, and look at second 0:28 of the first video, you can see the current working model for the new DLC. 

http://www.marquette.edu/engineeringonamission/

TallTitan and I were in the same class, and he made it pretty clear that this was going to change.  But you can see what they're working towards.  The new building will be located on the South West corner of 16th and Wisconsin, and stretch all the way to 17th and the Rec Center.

feedback