[May 15, 2024, 09:14:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Carpenter Tower  (Read 11087 times)

YoungMUFan4

• All American
Carpenter Tower
« on: July 31, 2008, 02:51:58 PM »
I will be living in Carpenter tower next year and was wondering if anyone has lived there and/or what they thought of it.  I know the dimensions of the room but with the bathroom are the rooms really small or is it still okay?  Also, are you able to loft the beds?

muarmy81

• All American
Re: Carpenter Tower
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 02:54:02 PM »
I didn't live there but one of my friends did and their beds were lofted and yes the rooms are small.

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 02:55:33 PM »
Let me tell you, if you choose to drink to the point of vomiting...that bathroom is VERY NICE!

🏀

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 03:04:00 PM »
Let me tell you, if you choose to drink to the point of vomiting...that bathroom is VERY NICE!

Not only vomiting, but somehow making it possible to distribute salsa all over the room.

701 and 718 or 716? are the biggest rooms.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 03:10:00 PM »
Back in the day, Tower was a hotel, hence the private bathrooms and no cafeteria. But, if you're entertaining the opposite sex, the view over I-43 is cool and the building is used to a whole lotta shakin' goin' on.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 03:13:40 PM »
I will be living in Carpenter tower next year and was wondering if anyone has lived there and/or what they thought of it.  I know the dimensions of the room but with the bathroom are the rooms really small or is it still okay?  Also, are you able to loft the beds?

lived there for 2 and a half years, was an RA for 1.5 of those. Having your own bathroom is great. The rooms are a little small but depending on what your room number is, you can have quite a bit of options in setting it up. As rob said, lofting the beds is great for making more space. What's your room number going to be?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 05:33:22 PM »
Lived in Tower912 for 2 years.  Rooms are big enough for a loft, most have good sized closets, too.   Can't beat the private bathroom.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

YoungMUFan4

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 05:39:47 PM »
i will be in 0710

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 07:44:12 AM »
That's a pretty good sized room. You'll have the modular furniture so I'm sure you'd be able to come up with something to best utilize space.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 11:25:54 PM »
I was in 418 and had the biggest room on the floor.  If MarqPTM or Robmufan remember what room number Alex was I think his was pretty big too.

Things to look out for:
  • Don't burn your ass on the heater.  With the small bathroom dimesions its easy to run into it when changing clothes.
  • Buy about seven surge protectors because you will have two electrical outlets tops in the whole room.

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 11:36:03 PM »
Yeah, and as I discovered one time...it was I believe the McCormick room keys that were able to open up the door to the stairwell.  So if you have your girlfriend lie about going to the offices on the second floor...your set!

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 11:40:52 PM »
Being it's a co-ed dorm it's a lot easier to just have your girlfriend actually live in the same building.  Or just have a girl in the building check your girlfriend in for the night.  Really there are so many loopholes its a worthless rule.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 11:44:03 PM »
Also if you have a d-bag roommate and would like to have the whole room for yourself ask me or MarqPTM for some pointers on how to get them out.  Very easy to turn your liveable triple into a spacious double hahaha.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 07:16:21 AM »
Also if you have a d-bag roommate and would like to have the whole room for yourself ask me or MarqPTM for some pointers on how to get them out.  Very easy to turn your liveable triple into a spacious double hahaha.

Levels, Jerry. LEVELS

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 07:19:26 AM »
Yeah, and as I discovered one time...it was I believe the McCormick room keys that were able to open up the door to the stairwell.  So if you have your girlfriend lie about going to the offices on the second floor...your set!

Actually, truth is that's the weakest lock I've ever run into. Any key will open it even if it's only half way in. Hell, anything semi-key shaped will open it. That was done intentionally too.

Jimbo

• Walk-On
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2008, 07:58:03 PM »

I know I'm just a lurker but I can tell you TallTitan speaks the truth.  He and MarqPTM were masters at the roommate eviction.

sv48

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2008, 08:16:33 PM »
I have opened that door with a coin before, and also with my MU id. That lock is useless.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2008, 08:19:32 PM »
I see in the other thread they asked for some pictures of a Straz dorm room.  I never lived there but here are some pictures of my Carpenter Room from about 4 or 5 years ago.  I forgot I had these.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 08:23:13 PM by TallTitan34 »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2008, 12:40:14 AM »
Very easy to turn your liveable triple into a spacious double hahaha.

A triple in Tower?  I'm sure I read that wrong....

If so...I loved living in Tower (as a frosh & soph), but can't imagine three people in any of those rooms.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2008, 07:51:43 AM »
when I was in school it was the last place anyone wanted to live as a soph.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2008, 08:01:12 AM »
when I was in school it was the last place anyone wanted to live as a soph.

Same here.  Sophomore year Schroeder was by far the best place to live.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2008, 08:51:51 AM »
A triple in Tower?  I'm sure I read that wrong....

If so...I loved living in Tower (as a frosh & soph), but can't imagine three people in any of those rooms.

MarpPTM's and my triple was in Mashuda.  Sorry for the confusion.  Although we did triple stack beds in Carpenter before... 

yellow chickens

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2008, 11:22:45 AM »
i was in 511 last year. the ?10's are definately the best rooms followed by ?11. In fact, all of the rooms from ?10 on up are the biggest rooms.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2008, 11:33:21 AM »
Yeah I should probably note that while I had the biggest room on the floor that room only exists on the third and fourth floors.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2008, 12:12:31 PM »
When I was there, Schroeder was considered more popular.   I had a bunch of classes in Johnston Hall and I was always a sucker for my own bathroom.   So......two years there and not a single regret.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2008, 12:19:20 PM »
When I was there, Schroeder was considered more popular.   I had a bunch of classes in Johnston Hall and I was always a sucker for my own bathroom.   So......two years there and not a single regret.

Schroeder still is more popular for sophomores but it is a dump and the rooms suck.

Pick Mashuda or Straz. 

I lived in Carpenter and Mashuda my first two years.  I had to live in Schroeder a week or two until my apartment was ready and it was probably the crappiest two weeks of my life.  The rooms suck, the building sucks, everything there sucks.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 12:21:28 PM by TallTitan34 »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2008, 12:30:50 PM »
I actually started my sophomore year in 901, but moved on the day the Space shuttle blew up after my roommate had a minor meltdown involving the girlfriend he was obsessed with breaking up with him and him going for his knives.    The guy in 912 had his roommate leave at the semester, so the easiest solution was to move me down the hall, rather than wait for my old roommate to finish going postal.    I moved, I liked it, I stayed for my junior year.    Big room, nice view of the interchange, lots of closet space, a bunch of us from sophomore year staying together for junior year, could not beat it.    901 is a tiny little hole with a lousy view, except when the girls in 813 (is that the one on the inside of the U on the south side?) left their blinds open.   Thank you, ladies.   

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2008, 12:40:15 PM »
Schroeder still is more popular for sophomores but it is a dump and the rooms suck.

Pick Mashuda or Straz. 

I lived in Carpenter and Mashuda my first two years.  I had to live in Schroeder a week or two until my apartment was ready and it was probably the crappiest two weeks of my life.  The rooms suck, the building sucks, everything there sucks.

I live in Carpenter the first 6 weeks of my freshman year and thought most of the people were boring as hell.  All the guys I was friends with live in OD so I moved there.

While I was there, the funnest people tended to live in Cobeen (girls), McCormick, and O'Donnell (guys) freshman year.

Sophomore year, I didn't hang out or really know one single person who didn't live in Schroeder (unless they got kicked out).  That year may have been the funnest year of my life.

This might have changed, but nearly every MU alum I talked to said the same things going back about 10 years.

The bigger rooms and your own bathroom is nice, but its college and I didn't really care about that too much.  I was more worried about who I live with than where.  To each his own, though, I'm sure there were lots of people who lived in other dorms that had a blast too but I definitely wouldn't have picked any other dorms to live in.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2008, 12:50:26 PM »
901 is a tiny little hole with a lousy view, except when the girls in 813 (is that the one on the inside of the U on the south side?) left their blinds open.   Thank you, ladies.   

Robmufan and MarqPTM's room was in the inside of the U as well which allowed viewing of the ladies floors.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2008, 12:53:37 PM »
I partied at Schroeder, too.   I could never tell the difference.   Schroeder had the rep while I was there, but parties were parties, beer was beer, and girls were girls.   The mystique was just lost on me, I guess.   I had enough of small rooms and communal bathrooms my freshman year at McCormick.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2008, 11:54:31 AM »
How is Carpenter treating you guys now thatyou've moved in?

only a warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2008, 02:43:28 PM »
Schroeder 215!!!!!   ;D