Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] Top 50 Players in the Big East  (Read 14210 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
[Paint Touches] Top 50 Players in the Big East
« on: August 20, 2018, 12:29:12 AM »
https://painttouches.com/2018/08/20/top-50-players-in-the-big-east-50-41-3/

It's our third year in row counting down the top 50 players in the Big East. Andrei added his feedback to the list this year. We'll be breaking it down into 5 10-player segments. Thoughts, comments, agreements, and outrage all encouraged!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: [Paint Touches] Top 50 Players in the Big East
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 12:43:40 AM »
https://painttouches.com/2018/08/20/top-50-players-in-the-big-east-50-41-3/

It's our third year in row counting down the top 50 players in the Big East. Andrei added his feedback to the list this year. We'll be breaking it down into 5 10-player segments. Thoughts, comments, agreements, and outrage all encouraged!
Thank You for preparing this. I continue to think Quincy McKnight is underrated.  I get that he has some warts, but the word is he has improved significantly in his year off. I guess time will tell.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 08:34:26 AM »
I guess I'll find out as more of the list is revealed, but how much of an impact does returning from an injury make?  In 2016-17 Emmitt Holt averaged more points than both Kyron Cartwright and Jalen Lindsey, in fewer minutes, and I think he could potentially be a top 10 player in the Beast, but being a big man coming back from a back injury, I also think there should be quite a few question marks surrounding him.  Same story with Krampelj at Creighton, (ACL not back) especially since he might miss part of the non-conference and could have quite a bit of rust when he comes back.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 09:40:11 AM »
I guess I'll find out as more of the list is revealed, but how much of an impact does returning from an injury make?  In 2016-17 Emmitt Holt averaged more points than both Kyron Cartwright and Jalen Lindsey, in fewer minutes, and I think he could potentially be a top 10 player in the Beast, but being a big man coming back from a back injury, I also think there should be quite a few question marks surrounding him.  Same story with Krampelj at Creighton, (ACL not back) especially since he might miss part of the non-conference and could have quite a bit of rust when he comes back.

For the purpose of this list, we make the assumption that the player is coming back 100% healthy. That obviously is not always the case and you are right that Krampelj and Holt are two of the biggest questions marks heading into next season.
TAMU

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 09:42:03 AM »
Thank You for preparing this. I continue to think Quincy McKnight is underrated.  I get that he has some warts, but the word is he has improved significantly in his year off. I guess time will tell.

Yet another in a long string of bizarre obsessions

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 04:25:25 PM »
Good opening article. Seton Hall really looks likely to struggle this year. Adding a low-efficiency, high-usage player to a roster that isn't always accustomed to their most efficient players taking alpha roles only compounds that problem.

I was surprised to see three Georgetown players in the bottom 10. Obviously Govan will be significantly higher (like Powell for SHU), but do you expect a three-way battle for the bottom of the league between Georgetown, Seton Hall, and DePaul?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2018, 06:56:54 PM »
Good opening article. Seton Hall really looks likely to struggle this year. Adding a low-efficiency, high-usage player to a roster that isn't always accustomed to their most efficient players taking alpha roles only compounds that problem.

I was surprised to see three Georgetown players in the bottom 10. Obviously Govan will be significantly higher (like Powell for SHU), but do you expect a three-way battle for the bottom of the league between Georgetown, Seton Hall, and DePaul?

What Georgetown has that Seton Hall and DePaul don't is depth. Other than Govan, Georgetown doesn't have any known stand out talents but they have a lot of solid players. Guys like Mosley, Malinowski, and LeBlanc  won't be a star every day but their might be enough of them that different players can step up to be Govan's wingman every night. I think it will be DePaul in the basement, Seton Hall just ahead of them, and then Creighton and Georgetown just in front of them.
TAMU

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2018, 07:44:43 PM »

On a scale of 1-pogo stick

Where does he rate??
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2018, 08:25:09 AM »
On a scale of 1-pogo stick

Where does he rate??

I have some bad news. The groundhog emerged from its burrow and saw a girthy neck. That means 6 more years of Herman talking about Quincy McKnight :(

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2018, 09:38:52 AM »
Bumpity Bump
TAMU

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2018, 10:45:59 AM »
Bumpity Bump

New material bf the bumpity brother!   ;)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2018, 01:30:51 PM »
https://painttouches.com/2018/08/27/top-50-players-in-the-big-east-40-31-3/

#40-31 is now live. This segment includes our first pick from our alma mater.
TAMU

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2018, 02:21:04 PM »
Bit surprised that we've only seen one Bluejay thus far (although I imagine there will be multiple in the 30-21 range).  Team loses 3 of their top 4 scorers, as well as Harrell Jr.  Krampelj will be a stud assuming he's healthy, but I think you're higher on Ballock, Epperson, and either Alexander or Joseph than I am (although I am curious to find out which one you go with and why). 
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 02:23:24 PM by Its DJOver »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2018, 03:24:04 PM »
I am keen on the prospects of Ryan Welage for Xavier this year. However, I think you have him ranked appropriately for now, as the kid is a bean pole and will be coming into a mans league.  If Xavier is able to mask his defensive weakness in a zone defense then Welage may be due for a midseason upgrade.
            ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2018, 03:25:36 PM »
I am keen on the prospects of Ryan Welage for Xavier this year. However, I think you have him ranked appropriately for now, as the kid is a bean pole and will be coming into a mans league.  If Xavier is able to mask his defensive weakness in a zone defense then Welage may be due for a midseason upgrade.

Has to upgrade that neck girth to crack the top 30 in a grown man's league.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2018, 12:31:55 PM »
Bit surprised that we've only seen one Bluejay thus far (although I imagine there will be multiple in the 30-21 range).  Team loses 3 of their top 4 scorers, as well as Harrell Jr.  Krampelj will be a stud assuming he's healthy, but I think you're higher on Ballock, Epperson, and either Alexander or Joseph than I am (although I am curious to find out which one you go with and why).

Your instincts are good, though you missed the fifth Blue Jay.
TAMU

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2018, 08:30:34 PM »
For the purpose of this list, we make the assumption that the player is coming back 100% healthy. That obviously is not always the case and you are right that Krampelj and Holt are two of the biggest questions marks heading into next season.
Are you ranking each team's assumed starters or will we find some teams with more than 5 players on your list? Villanova's 6th man is probably better than a lot of starters.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2018, 09:26:43 PM »
Are you ranking each team's assumed starters or will we find some teams with more than 5 players on your list? Villanova's 6th man is probably better than a lot of starters.

Instead of doing a true top 50, we took the five best players from each team and ordered them one to fifty. Important to note, these are the five best players, not necessarily the five starters from each team.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
TAMU

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2018, 03:16:52 PM »
I think who will man the 5 is one of the most interesting questions about our team this year. I could see Joey getting time there as a stretch 5 and in stretches putting five guys on the floor that can hit the three. I also think both Heldt as the experienced senior and John as the most physical enforcer will get time there. All the more reason I think that most of our guys should be getting 15-25 mpg.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2018, 05:33:51 PM »
https://painttouches.com/2018/09/03/top-50-players-in-the-big-east-30-21-3/

#30-21 is now posted.
I like Jahvon Quinerly at 21. He is a very solid player, with good IQ who can take it to the hole using both hands with ease, which is a big asset.
            ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2018, 01:06:54 PM »
https://painttouches.com/2018/09/10/top-50-players-in-the-big-east-20-11-3/

Segment 4 is up. Last one will feature the top 10.
TAMU

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2018, 01:23:03 PM »
I knew there would be an obvious jump in talent somewhere in the teens, but I did not expect it to be that big.  I think you make an excellent point about X not having a go to last second shot taker that many teams have, but their overall quality is there.  MU and StJ only teams with multiple player still to be named. 

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2018, 04:37:44 PM »
I knew there would be an obvious jump in talent somewhere in the teens, but I did not expect it to be that big.  I think you make an excellent point about X not having a go to last second shot taker that many teams have, but their overall quality is there.  MU and StJ only teams with multiple player still to be named.

we know Ponds is #1, then there's everyone else.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2018, 05:22:12 PM »
we know Ponds is #1, then there's everyone else.

Maybe. I'd have Sam #1 and think it's by a fairly substantial margin. Ponds puts up raw numbers but isn't as efficient as Sam, nor is he as versatile a defender.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2018, 06:21:51 PM »
Maybe. I'd have Sam #1 and think it's by a fairly substantial margin. Ponds puts up raw numbers but isn't as efficient as Sam, nor is he as versatile a defender.

If Sam is POY in the Big East by a fairly substantial margin we'll wi the big East by a fairly substantial margin. Hope you're right.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2018, 07:13:11 PM »
If Sam is POY in the Big East by a fairly substantial margin we'll wi the big East by a fairly substantial margin. Hope you're right.

I'm not saying POY. I know it's a fine line, but I'm saying best player. I don't expect Sam will have the usage for POY. Look at our own team. I think the consensus is that Sam is the best player we have, but ask anyone nationally and it's Markus.

As far as the closest competition, I think it's Govan and Paschall. As far as this list, I expect high values are placed on efficiency and defense. Both of them (like Sam) are better in those regards than Ponds.

Here's how I'd have the top-10 (because I'm sure TAMU is already done):

10) Max Strus
9) Martin Krampelj
8) Justin Simon
7) Markus Howard
6) Kamar Baldwin
5) Myles Powell
4) Shamorie Ponds - Dynamic player, but more volume than efficiency keeps him out of best player contention.
3) Eric Paschall - Must prove he can carry the load. Great two-way player who has shown flashes but not consistency.
2) Jessie Govan - One of the best bigs in the country. Can step out and hit the three. I wouldn't argue if someone else had him #1.
1) Sam Hauser - The most efficient returning offensive player. The most dangerous three point shooter because of his size/accuracy combination. Can guard 2-5 depending on matchups. Probably won't win POY because minutes & usage will diminish his raw stats.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 07:11:57 AM by brewcity77 »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2018, 07:20:50 PM »
^^^^ wat
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2018, 12:47:11 AM »
Good job on 20 through 11. You made up for the Quincy McKinght faux pas by bring in Taurean Thompson at 17.
            ---Al McGuire

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2018, 07:38:20 AM »
Small quibble.  Isn't Collin Gillespie the likely back-up point guard rather than Booth? 

Nova will at times play all three at once (and mix in Cremo), but I see Quinerly or Gillespie handling the point almost all of the time.  Booth and Cremo a bit. 

Sheesh do they have options:  Quinerly plus 3 combo guards who all can handle.  I guess I've talked myself into not having any idea who the number two ball handler will be.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2018, 07:57:19 AM »
1) Sam Hauser - The most efficient returning offensive player.

No Heldter Skelter love?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2018, 08:03:01 AM »
No Heldter Skelter love?

In terms of the top-10, it's safe to say Heldtasaurus Rex doesn't have the usage to be up here.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2018, 11:39:50 AM »
In terms of the top-10, it's safe to say Heldtasaurus Rex doesn't have the usage to be up here.

Or the ability.

NWarsh

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2018, 11:45:53 AM »
Or the ability.

Yeah, well,that is just, like, your opinion, man

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2018, 01:29:02 PM »
Yeah, well,that is just, like, your opinion, man

Milkman rules, hey?
Goal is National Championship

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2018, 01:22:54 PM »
https://painttouches.com/2018/09/17/top-50-players-in-the-big-east-10-1-3/

Last segment is up! Two familiar faces are featured.
TAMU

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2018, 01:44:00 PM »

Very well done and more importantly you got a Dickie Simpkins reference in.

So the question is, if Heron is eligible for St. Johns, do they become a top half of the Big East team this year?
            ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2018, 01:56:22 PM »

Good stuff. I'd still have Hauser ahead of Howard & question Ponds adjusted offensive efficiency (8th in AdjOE of the 10 guys on this list), but a good argument nonetheless.

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2018, 02:22:33 PM »
Does Sam shoot more this year? One thing I wish he'd done more of. I know, maybe that selective shooting gave him the efficiency he has. This year see him hitting close to 20ppg with similar efficiency.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2018, 02:34:54 PM »

So the question is, if Heron is eligible for St. Johns, do they become a top half of the Big East team this year?

If he is, top 3.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2018, 02:37:01 PM »
When was the last time we had 2 first team All Big East players? I think never.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2018, 02:39:49 PM »

If Heron is eligible I think they are top 3 in the Big East. Though it will depend on how they adjust their identity. Since CM arrived, St. John's as been known for high flying, ball swatting, soul crushing interior defense. With only two guys standing taller than 6'7"...one of whom averaged under 10 minutes a game at his last stop and the other a skinny true freshman ranked between 200-300 in most services...I don't think they can continue that. If they don't have the swat brothers patrolling the paint, will they be able to be as aggressive on the perimeter? I'm not saying that I think they will be bad, but I am curious how their philosophy and strategy will shift.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2018, 02:43:23 PM »
Good stuff. I'd still have Hauser ahead of Howard & question Ponds adjusted offensive efficiency (8th in AdjOE of the 10 guys on this list), but a good argument nonetheless.

You'll have to talk to Andrei about Howard over Hauser. I had them ranked Hauser 4th, Howard 6th. Andrei ranked them Howard 2nd Hauser 4th. Averaged the scores together and the tie breaker was who had the highest individual ranking.

I thought long and hard about Ponds but his ability to stuff the stat sheet really sets him apart from everyone on this list. That and the fact that he can enter "God mode" unlike any other player in this league. He has stretches where he's bad but when he's good, he's the best player in the conference by a wide margin IMHO.
TAMU

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2018, 02:44:15 PM »
If he is, top 3.

Agreed, if he's eligible it's a 3 horse race. If not, it's us & Nova.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2018, 02:46:15 PM »

Even though I put them at 3/4, I don't think Hauser ends up on the first team. I hope he ups that usage but I'm not sure a Hodag can change its stripes. I think he may continue to be absurdly efficient but not aggressive enough to get the numbers that put him on the first team. That and the fact that Howard will continue to get most of the spotlight.
TAMU

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2018, 03:06:07 PM »

DJO and Crowder
Maigh Eo for Sam

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2018, 03:44:04 PM »
You'll have to talk to Andrei about Howard over Hauser. I had them ranked Hauser 4th, Howard 6th. Andrei ranked them Howard 2nd Hauser 4th. Averaged the scores together and the tie breaker was who had the highest individual ranking.

The usage difference is too much for me to overcome - they're both wonderful, but M2N gets the nod from me as well.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2018, 07:48:12 PM »
DJO and Crowder

Correct - 2011-12. We end up ranked 8 or 9 that year and reached the S16. Repeat?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2018, 01:44:34 AM »
Correct - 2011-12. We end up ranked 8 or 9 that year and reached the S16. Repeat?

Topped out ranked 8, 14-4 retroactively won the Big East. Arguably our best team since the FF (maybe 08-09). But had a glaring hole down low that LSU, Vanderbilt, Cuse and GTown all took advantage of. I personally think this years team might be more well rounded.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2018, 09:05:32 AM »
Topped out ranked 8, 14-4 retroactively won the Big East. Arguably our best team since the FF (maybe 08-09). But had a glaring hole down low that LSU, Vanderbilt, Cuse and GTown all took advantage of. I personally think this years team might be more well rounded.
I think we actually were ranked as high as 7 at one point. Otule and Davante's injury definitely hurt us down low. 
            ---Al McGuire

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2018, 09:55:19 AM »
I think we actually were ranked as high as 7 at one point. Otule and Davante's injury definitely hurt us down low.

Not in the AP.

http://www.collegepollarchive.com/mbasketball/ap/teams/by_season.cfm?seasonid=2012&teamid=100#.W6EQ4qQo-Ec

You're right we got to 7 in the coaches I just personally take the AP to more valid.
Maigh Eo for Sam