[May 10, 2024, 09:58:18 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 10, 2024, 08:12:15 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MUbiz
[May 10, 2024, 03:33:49 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by LloydsLegs
[May 10, 2024, 03:08:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] Top 50 Players in the Big East  (Read 14193 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
[Paint Touches] Top 50 Players in the Big East
« on: August 20, 2018, 12:29:12 AM »
https://painttouches.com/2018/08/20/top-50-players-in-the-big-east-50-41-3/

It's our third year in row counting down the top 50 players in the Big East. Andrei added his feedback to the list this year. We'll be breaking it down into 5 10-player segments. Thoughts, comments, agreements, and outrage all encouraged!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: [Paint Touches] Top 50 Players in the Big East
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 12:43:40 AM »
https://painttouches.com/2018/08/20/top-50-players-in-the-big-east-50-41-3/

It's our third year in row counting down the top 50 players in the Big East. Andrei added his feedback to the list this year. We'll be breaking it down into 5 10-player segments. Thoughts, comments, agreements, and outrage all encouraged!
Thank You for preparing this. I continue to think Quincy McKnight is underrated.  I get that he has some warts, but the word is he has improved significantly in his year off. I guess time will tell.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 08:34:26 AM »
I guess I'll find out as more of the list is revealed, but how much of an impact does returning from an injury make?  In 2016-17 Emmitt Holt averaged more points than both Kyron Cartwright and Jalen Lindsey, in fewer minutes, and I think he could potentially be a top 10 player in the Beast, but being a big man coming back from a back injury, I also think there should be quite a few question marks surrounding him.  Same story with Krampelj at Creighton, (ACL not back) especially since he might miss part of the non-conference and could have quite a bit of rust when he comes back.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 09:40:11 AM »
I guess I'll find out as more of the list is revealed, but how much of an impact does returning from an injury make?  In 2016-17 Emmitt Holt averaged more points than both Kyron Cartwright and Jalen Lindsey, in fewer minutes, and I think he could potentially be a top 10 player in the Beast, but being a big man coming back from a back injury, I also think there should be quite a few question marks surrounding him.  Same story with Krampelj at Creighton, (ACL not back) especially since he might miss part of the non-conference and could have quite a bit of rust when he comes back.

For the purpose of this list, we make the assumption that the player is coming back 100% healthy. That obviously is not always the case and you are right that Krampelj and Holt are two of the biggest questions marks heading into next season.
TAMU

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 09:42:03 AM »
Thank You for preparing this. I continue to think Quincy McKnight is underrated.  I get that he has some warts, but the word is he has improved significantly in his year off. I guess time will tell.

Yet another in a long string of bizarre obsessions

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 04:25:25 PM »
Good opening article. Seton Hall really looks likely to struggle this year. Adding a low-efficiency, high-usage player to a roster that isn't always accustomed to their most efficient players taking alpha roles only compounds that problem.

I was surprised to see three Georgetown players in the bottom 10. Obviously Govan will be significantly higher (like Powell for SHU), but do you expect a three-way battle for the bottom of the league between Georgetown, Seton Hall, and DePaul?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2018, 06:56:54 PM »
Good opening article. Seton Hall really looks likely to struggle this year. Adding a low-efficiency, high-usage player to a roster that isn't always accustomed to their most efficient players taking alpha roles only compounds that problem.

I was surprised to see three Georgetown players in the bottom 10. Obviously Govan will be significantly higher (like Powell for SHU), but do you expect a three-way battle for the bottom of the league between Georgetown, Seton Hall, and DePaul?

What Georgetown has that Seton Hall and DePaul don't is depth. Other than Govan, Georgetown doesn't have any known stand out talents but they have a lot of solid players. Guys like Mosley, Malinowski, and LeBlanc  won't be a star every day but their might be enough of them that different players can step up to be Govan's wingman every night. I think it will be DePaul in the basement, Seton Hall just ahead of them, and then Creighton and Georgetown just in front of them.
TAMU

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2018, 07:44:43 PM »

On a scale of 1-pogo stick

Where does he rate??
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2018, 08:25:09 AM »
On a scale of 1-pogo stick

Where does he rate??

I have some bad news. The groundhog emerged from its burrow and saw a girthy neck. That means 6 more years of Herman talking about Quincy McKnight :(

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2018, 09:38:52 AM »
Bumpity Bump
TAMU

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2018, 10:45:59 AM »
Bumpity Bump

New material bf the bumpity brother!   ;)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2018, 01:30:51 PM »
https://painttouches.com/2018/08/27/top-50-players-in-the-big-east-40-31-3/

#40-31 is now live. This segment includes our first pick from our alma mater.
TAMU

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2018, 02:21:04 PM »
Bit surprised that we've only seen one Bluejay thus far (although I imagine there will be multiple in the 30-21 range).  Team loses 3 of their top 4 scorers, as well as Harrell Jr.  Krampelj will be a stud assuming he's healthy, but I think you're higher on Ballock, Epperson, and either Alexander or Joseph than I am (although I am curious to find out which one you go with and why). 
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 02:23:24 PM by Its DJOver »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2018, 03:24:04 PM »
I am keen on the prospects of Ryan Welage for Xavier this year. However, I think you have him ranked appropriately for now, as the kid is a bean pole and will be coming into a mans league.  If Xavier is able to mask his defensive weakness in a zone defense then Welage may be due for a midseason upgrade.
            ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2018, 03:25:36 PM »
I am keen on the prospects of Ryan Welage for Xavier this year. However, I think you have him ranked appropriately for now, as the kid is a bean pole and will be coming into a mans league.  If Xavier is able to mask his defensive weakness in a zone defense then Welage may be due for a midseason upgrade.

Has to upgrade that neck girth to crack the top 30 in a grown man's league.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2018, 12:31:55 PM »
Bit surprised that we've only seen one Bluejay thus far (although I imagine there will be multiple in the 30-21 range).  Team loses 3 of their top 4 scorers, as well as Harrell Jr.  Krampelj will be a stud assuming he's healthy, but I think you're higher on Ballock, Epperson, and either Alexander or Joseph than I am (although I am curious to find out which one you go with and why).

Your instincts are good, though you missed the fifth Blue Jay.
TAMU

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2018, 08:30:34 PM »
For the purpose of this list, we make the assumption that the player is coming back 100% healthy. That obviously is not always the case and you are right that Krampelj and Holt are two of the biggest questions marks heading into next season.
Are you ranking each team's assumed starters or will we find some teams with more than 5 players on your list? Villanova's 6th man is probably better than a lot of starters.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2018, 09:26:43 PM »
Are you ranking each team's assumed starters or will we find some teams with more than 5 players on your list? Villanova's 6th man is probably better than a lot of starters.

Instead of doing a true top 50, we took the five best players from each team and ordered them one to fifty. Important to note, these are the five best players, not necessarily the five starters from each team.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
TAMU

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2018, 03:16:52 PM »
I think who will man the 5 is one of the most interesting questions about our team this year. I could see Joey getting time there as a stretch 5 and in stretches putting five guys on the floor that can hit the three. I also think both Heldt as the experienced senior and John as the most physical enforcer will get time there. All the more reason I think that most of our guys should be getting 15-25 mpg.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2018, 05:33:51 PM »
https://painttouches.com/2018/09/03/top-50-players-in-the-big-east-30-21-3/

#30-21 is now posted.
I like Jahvon Quinerly at 21. He is a very solid player, with good IQ who can take it to the hole using both hands with ease, which is a big asset.
            ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2018, 01:06:54 PM »
https://painttouches.com/2018/09/10/top-50-players-in-the-big-east-20-11-3/

Segment 4 is up. Last one will feature the top 10.
TAMU

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2018, 01:23:03 PM »
I knew there would be an obvious jump in talent somewhere in the teens, but I did not expect it to be that big.  I think you make an excellent point about X not having a go to last second shot taker that many teams have, but their overall quality is there.  MU and StJ only teams with multiple player still to be named. 

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2018, 04:37:44 PM »
I knew there would be an obvious jump in talent somewhere in the teens, but I did not expect it to be that big.  I think you make an excellent point about X not having a go to last second shot taker that many teams have, but their overall quality is there.  MU and StJ only teams with multiple player still to be named.

we know Ponds is #1, then there's everyone else.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2018, 05:22:12 PM »
we know Ponds is #1, then there's everyone else.

Maybe. I'd have Sam #1 and think it's by a fairly substantial margin. Ponds puts up raw numbers but isn't as efficient as Sam, nor is he as versatile a defender.

feedback