[Today at 05:37:28 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What was Wojo's alternative?  (Read 77953 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: What was Wojo's alternative?
« Reply #350 on: June 02, 2019, 10:20:04 PM »
So Sam spent two seasons at MU, encouraged his brother to join the team (a half season early, in fact) and then, and only then, determined Wojo was an incompetent coach he couldn't trust?
Is Sam a very slow learner? If not, your speculation doesn't add up.

Not only that, but it would have been OK to keep playing for this incompetent, untrustworthy coach if the All-American had left.

Plenty of "blame" (for lack of better word) to go around.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #351 on: June 03, 2019, 12:12:11 AM »
The "alternative" is the very one he went with...

The right one.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #352 on: June 03, 2019, 10:01:55 AM »
Going back to the original topic.
I think it comes down to two possibilities.
1. Wojo did not realize that the rift between Sam and Markus was that bad and I could see people being upset with Wojo for not realizing that.
or
2. Wojo knew it was that bad, but expected Howard to go pro. Wojo said he encourage Howard to put his name in the draft to get an evaluation. Had Markus stayed in the draft the problem was solved. Had Markus pulled his name out, Wojo may of had an extra month to calm the Hausers down.

We will never know for sure, but I do believe Wojo was surprised that Markus did not explore the pro option.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #353 on: June 03, 2019, 11:47:11 PM »
Another thing I've been thinking of is just how good Sam could be in Tony Bennett's system. The pack line doesn't require the same foot-speed as a typical man-to-man. It's more about sticking to your assignments, which Sam is already great at. And he's willing to keep moving the ball until the right look opens up. Joe McCann mentioned on Scrambled Eggs that he thought Sam could be a potential ACC POY at Virginia, and I'm inclined to agree. It isn't just that Virginia's system is perfect for Sam, it's that Sam is perfect for Virginia's system. If anywhere could turn him into a conference POY, All-American, & best highlight the attributes he has that could get him drafted, Virginia is it.

Good call, BTW.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Goose

• All American
« Reply #354 on: June 04, 2019, 01:50:51 PM »
brewcity

That is why you need a system. You recruit players that fit system. That is what Wojo has been lacking to install at MU, a true system. I agree, Sam is a perfect fit at VA..

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #355 on: June 04, 2019, 01:56:19 PM »
brewcity

That is why you need a system. You recruit players that fit system. That is what Wojo has been lacking to install at MU, a true system. I agree, Sam is a perfect fit at VA..
It seems to me that Wojo's system is for the guards to shoot. He seems to like three guard offenses and he wants all of them to have point guard skills. Defensively, I know he prefers man to man, but I am not sure what his system is for defense.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #356 on: June 04, 2019, 02:47:47 PM »
brewcity

Goose, I agree to an extent.  However, what do you do when a certain recruiting pool is heavier one year on the type of players that don’t fit your system?

Was Keven O’Neill’s defensive system based on the perimeter overplaying and funneling guys to the shot-blocking wizard Jimmy Mac? Of course. But, how many lockdown guys like Tony Miller and Roney Eford are in a given recruiting pool?.....let alone an ultra-elite shot swatter like McIlvaine?

Coaches adapt to what’s available to recruit. Once the sharks... a la the Arizona’s, UK’s, UNC’s, Dukes, KU’s have swum a few $ laps $ in the recruiting pool...do the rest of the D1 coaches have a bunch of custom-fit recruits available to plug into a rigid system?

As has been said here before, I feel you go after the best available guys and work them into fitting your system based upon maximizing their strengths.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #357 on: June 04, 2019, 02:59:06 PM »
I think it's funny that some fans (Tower for example) say that Wojo is too married to one system and other fans (Goose for example) say Wojo doesn't have a system.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #358 on: June 04, 2019, 03:11:03 PM »
I think it's funny that some fans (Tower for example) say that Wojo is too married to one system and other fans (Goose for example) say Wojo doesn't have a system.

Winning cures a lot huh?

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #359 on: June 04, 2019, 03:56:47 PM »
He seems to like three guard offenses and he wants all of them to have point guard skills.
Howard does not have “point guard skills.”

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #360 on: June 04, 2019, 04:51:20 PM »
Howard does not have “point guard skills.”

Top 5 candidates listed for the 2020 Cousy Award

Cassius Winston: 44.8 assist rate/17.5 Turnover rate

Markus Howard: 27.2 assist rate/18.4 turnover rate

Tre Jones: 24 assist rate/14.7 turnover rate

Ashton Hagans: 27 assist rate/28.4 turnover rate

Anthony Cowan: 26.1 assist rate/18.6 turnover rate
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #361 on: June 04, 2019, 05:43:33 PM »
Top 5 candidates listed for the 2020 Cousy Award

Cassius Winston: 44.8 assist rate/17.5 Turnover rate

Markus Howard: 27.2 assist rate/18.4 turnover rate

Tre Jones: 24 assist rate/14.7 turnover rate

Ashton Hagans: 27 assist rate/28.4 turnover rate

Anthony Cowan: 26.1 assist rate/18.6 turnover rate

Interesting stuff, U.R. Thanks for posting.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #362 on: June 04, 2019, 06:10:03 PM »
1. Wojo did not realize that the rift between Sam and Markus was that bad and I could see people being upset with Wojo for not realizing that.
or
2. Wojo knew it was that bad, but expected Howard to go pro. Wojo said he encourage Howard to put his name in the draft to get an evaluation. Had Markus stayed in the draft the problem was solved. Had Markus pulled his name out, Wojo may of had an extra month to calm the Hausers down.

We will never know for sure, but I do believe Wojo was surprised that Markus did not explore the pro option.
In either case, Wojo F..ed up.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

WarhawkWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #363 on: June 04, 2019, 06:28:46 PM »
The alternative was to not lose 6 out of 7 last games.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #364 on: June 04, 2019, 06:48:47 PM »
Talked to friend on Friday night,he talked to Family member,simply said in the families mind the inability of Wojo to reel in Howard 's play,was the reason they left

So, all about playing for a coach who demands team play and doesn't allow hero ball.

They'll almost assuredly get less touches/usage at UVA and MSU but basketball will be fun again to them, anyway.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 06:52:49 PM by Lennys Tap »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #365 on: June 04, 2019, 07:16:05 PM »
So, all about playing for a coach who demands team play and doesn't allow hero ball.

They'll almost assuredly get less touches/usage at UVA and MSU but basketball will be fun again to them, anyway.

Or so says the friend of a family member.

Interesting that each of us chooses to believe "sources" that align with what we want to be true. I do it, too, Lenny, so I'm not casting stones at you.

In the case of Hausershima, I'm playing it down the middle and saying nobody comes out of this with totally "clean" hands. Lots of good "evidence" on both sides IMHO.

We're gonna have to wait a year and a half to see if basketball is fun for them in their new digs. I hope it is. We all should get to do what we want where we want. Hell, I wish they didn't have to sit out a year, just as I wish Morrow and Koby didn't have to sit out a year.

We are Marquette.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #366 on: June 04, 2019, 07:16:43 PM »

Do you really think so? Three Virginia starters had higher usage than Sam last year (Hunter, Jerome, Guy). So if Sam's usage there is even lower, he's the 4th/5th option then?
That won't help his ACC POY campaign

Joeys usage last year would have placed him 5th among Sparty's regulars. Even lower, you think?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #367 on: June 04, 2019, 07:17:34 PM »

Lenny the fortune teller.

Basketball was so little fun in this system that Sam got his younger brother to come play in it. Wild.

I couldn’t fathom playing where an All American shot the ball a lot either.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #368 on: June 04, 2019, 07:18:16 PM »
The alternative was to not lose 6 out of 7 last games.

So had MU won 6 of the last 7, in the same way MU won the large majority of their early victories (Markus shooting a ton), then the Hausers would still be here?

That would fly in the face of the rumors that the Hausers wanted to continue to play with Markus or that they lost trust in wojo.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #369 on: June 04, 2019, 08:06:00 PM »
When we were winning, they could live with it and it was tolerated.  When we lost, it was the crutch to blame the losses on the style and cut lose.  That's what a friend not from their family told me.   8-)
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #370 on: June 04, 2019, 08:59:53 PM »
or

If either or both of these is true, Woj's is a bigger idiot than perceived, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #371 on: June 04, 2019, 09:15:38 PM »

If either or both of these is true, Woj's is a bigger idiot than perceived, hey?

He's perceived as an idiot? I don't think he's an idiot. Do you?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #372 on: June 04, 2019, 10:02:37 PM »
Do you really think so? Three Virginia starters had higher usage than Sam last year (Hunter, Jerome, Guy). So if Sam's usage there is even lower, he's the 4th/5th option then?
That won't help his ACC POY campaign

Joeys usage last year would have placed him 5th among Sparty's regulars. Even lower, you think?

Fair point re usage. We were lopsided (Markus 37.4, Sam 20.2, Joey 17.6, Sacar 15.5) and UVA was balanced (Hunter 24.1, Jerome 23.4, Guy 22.7, Diakite 19.7). Going to a team like UVA (or any team that shares the ball), Sam's usage probably goes up a tick or two, while his shots per game and per 40 minutes likely dips a little (Sam would have led UVA in both last year).

Bottom line for Sam - a few more touches, a few less shots - assuming his profile is similar to 1st team AA Hunter or Guy. He went somewhere where there's more balance, more sharing, more team - not (IMO) for a few more touches (% wise) or a few less shots.

As I've said many times before, one of Wojo's rights/responsibilities is to dictate style of play. Bennett's too. Assuming that a guy would choose/prefer TB's over Wojo's because he's selfish, though, makes zero sense to me.

I'll look at the numbers re Joey when I get a chance - maybe they'll tell a different story.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 10:06:41 PM by Lennys Tap »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #373 on: June 04, 2019, 10:22:07 PM »
Fair point re usage. We were lopsided (Markus 37.4, Sam 20.2, Joey 17.6, Sacar 15.5) and UVA was balanced (Hunter 24.1, Jerome 23.4, Guy 22.7, Diakite 19.7). Going to a team like UVA (or any team that shares the ball), Sam's usage probably goes up a tick or two, while his shots per game and per 40 minutes likely dips a little (Sam would have led UVA in both last year).

Bottom line for Sam - a few more touches, a few less shots - assuming his profile is similar to 1st team AA Hunter or Guy. He went somewhere where there's more balance, more sharing, more team - not (IMO) for a few more touches (% wise) or a few less shots.

As I've said many times before, one of Wojo's rights/responsibilities is to dictate style of play. Bennett's too. Assuming that a guy would choose/prefer TB's over Wojo's because he's selfish, though, makes zero sense to me.

I'll look at the numbers re Joey when I get a chance - maybe they'll tell a different story.

Depends who you talk to.  According to people with sources "as close to the Hausers as you can possibly get" Sam was "very pissed" after the Buffalo game.  For a guy who those same people claim is just someone who doesn't care about touches, just wants to win, and stopped having fun when the winning stopped, it's kind of odd he'd be pissed when his teammate put the entire team on his back and put up 40 points in a half to lead his team to a(nother) top 15 win.  I would bet my life that I will never see a Marquette team lose a game where a single one of their players scores 40 points in a single half by himself.  Yet the guy who isn't selfish, doesn't care about touches, and just wants to win was "pissed" after Markus single handedly took Marquette from a one point halftime lead to a route of top 15 Buffalo.

Odd.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #374 on: June 04, 2019, 10:53:04 PM »
Suggestion:

1) The Brothers Hauser are gone. Finito at Marquette. Get over it.

2) While we can blame all we want and we all have our perspective, it's time to move on. I have strong opinions about who is to blame but casting blame does nothing to cheer the team on as it recovers from the Brothers Hauser defection. If someone does not want to be a Warrior, I don't want 'em.

3) For those of you who think high major players don't transfer, I have two words for you: Q-u-e-n-t-i-n  G-r-i-m-e-s. Probably has less of an effect on Kansas than the Hauser transfer does on us but it underscores that free agency in college basketball is a fact of life. Unfortunately.

4) Does Wojo have Mr. Grimes on speed dial. He'd be a nice addition!