[Today at 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What was Wojo's alternative?  (Read 77936 times)

onepost

• All American
Re: What was Wojo's alternative?
« Reply #150 on: April 18, 2019, 11:02:16 AM »
Interesting.

So the first response after the letter was arguably the best second half performance of the team all season led by...........Markus Howard.

What happened the next day against Seton Hall down the stretch?  Anyone recall our last shot in that one?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #151 on: April 18, 2019, 11:13:17 AM »
What happened the next day against Seton Hall down the stretch?  Anyone recall our last shot in that one?

Yes, as I recall, a second-team All-American, the Big East Player of the Year and one of the best shooters in the nation took an open shot that barely missed.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #152 on: April 18, 2019, 11:19:25 AM »
I remember a wide open Sam (yes he was open shortly after the inbound) waving his arms while Markus decided he was shooting the ball (never mind her was ice cold) the second he had the ball in his hands. He of course predictably missed. The only true buzzer beater I remember being made last year was Sam’s vs Creighton
No Finish Line

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #153 on: April 18, 2019, 11:38:22 AM »
Interesting.

So the first response after the letter was arguably the best second half performance of the team all season led by...........Markus Howard.

Yeah, in the BET vs STJ, Howard took 43% of the shots with an ORtg of 123. In that game, Sam had the same ORtg of 123 but he got 17% of the shots. So the first response was that Howard took forty three percent of the shots and 2.5x the number of shots of Sam.

In the next BET game vs SHU, Howard again took over 40% of the shots, but this time he shot 1-15 in the game. The only thing propping up Howard's ORtg of 88 is the 18-24 from the FT line. In the same game, Sam had an ORtg of 150 with 19% of the shots.

Clearly, lesson learned.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #154 on: April 18, 2019, 11:40:35 AM »
Yeah, in the BET vs STJ, Howard took 43% of the shots with an ORtg of 123. In that game, Sam had the same ORtg of 123 but he got 17% of the shots. So the first response was that Howard took forty three percent of the shots and 2.5x the number of shots of Sam.

In the next BET game vs SHU, Howard again took over 40% of the shots, but this time he shot 1-15 in the game. The only thing propping up Howard's ORtg of 88 is the 18-24 from the FT line. In the same game, Sam had an ORtg of 150 with 19% of the shots.

Clearly, lesson learned.

Serious question .... how would Coach Henry Sugar have handled the situation?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #155 on: April 18, 2019, 11:47:43 AM »
I remember a wide open Sam (yes he was open shortly after the inbound) waving his arms while Markus decided he was shooting the ball (never mind her was ice cold) the second he had the ball in his hands. He of course predictably missed. The only true buzzer beater I remember being made last year was Sam’s vs Creighton

As I recall, Sam had missed 5 of his previous 6 shots (and 7 of 9 in the second half). And as I recall, several Scoopers have debunked the theory that Sam was "wide open." Also, as I recall, Markus made numerous clutch, late-game shots during the course of the season.

I have some problems with many of the shots Markus took this season. That one's not high on my list. It obviously is high on yours.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #156 on: April 18, 2019, 11:48:34 AM »
Just Scoop's revenue stream! (winner)

This is so true.  The good news is we have a lot of dollars for Arby's.  The bad news is all Marquette area Arby's have lines out the door since the Hausers left.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #157 on: April 18, 2019, 11:51:06 AM »
As I recall, Sam had missed 5 of his previous 6 shots (and 7 of 9 in the second half). And as I recall, several Scoopers have debunked the theory that Sam was "wide open." Also, as I recall, Markus made numerous clutch, late-game shots during the course of the season.

I have some problems with many of the shots Markus took this season. That one's not high on my list. It obviously is high on yours.
He was open early in the play. The screen shot showing Markus couldn’t get him the ball was late in the play (not that Markus was even looking his direction). And yes I trusted Sam much more to take that shot and was posting in the game chat that I hoped he was taking it.
No Finish Line

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #158 on: April 18, 2019, 11:52:13 AM »
I can imagine sacar trying to justify signing the scarlet letter.....

yeah I should have more touches too so I can show off my great moves to the hoop and nearly make a basket

MU82

• All American
« Reply #159 on: April 18, 2019, 11:55:18 AM »
He was open early in the play. The screen shot showing Markus couldn’t get him the ball was late in the play (not that Markus was even looking his direction). And yes I trusted Sam much more to take that shot and was posting in the game chat that I hoped he was taking it.

All right, you've stated your opinion. I certainly didn't want to revisit one shot taken in one game this season. And if I did, it would be the one that, as you pointed out, Sam made. And Wojo designed. And Markus assisted on.

Moving on to more pressing issues. Like if I can think of some more MU-related lyrics to the tune of The Letter.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #160 on: April 18, 2019, 12:17:34 PM »
All right, you've stated your opinion. I certainly didn't want to revisit one shot taken in one game this season. And if I did, it would be the one that, as you pointed out, Sam made. And Wojo designed. And Markus assisted on.

Moving on to more pressing issues. Like if I can think of some more MU-related lyrics to the tune of The Letter.

Just yesterday, didn't you say "Do you have a link supporting the "fact" that plays were called for Sam/Joey and Markus intentionally ignored them to jack his own shots? I'd like to know the exact plays in question; if  true, that information should be easy to furnish."

So now when certain plays are brought to your attention you don't want get caught up in the minutia of a single play.  Some impressive goalpost shifting.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #161 on: April 18, 2019, 12:27:22 PM »
Just yesterday, didn't you say "Do you have a link supporting the "fact" that plays were called for Sam/Joey and Markus intentionally ignored them to jack his own shots? I'd like to know the exact plays in question; if  true, that information should be easy to furnish."

So now when certain plays are brought to your attention you don't want get caught up in the minutia of a single play.  Some impressive goalpost shifting.

So you're saying the coaching staff instructed Markus to set up Sam for the final shot vs Seton Hall and he ignored them?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #162 on: April 18, 2019, 12:29:02 PM »
So you're saying the coaching staff instructed Markus to set up Sam for the final shot vs Seton Hall and he ignored them?

Ditto this question.

I'll hang up and listen for the answer, which I hope will include some evidence.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #163 on: April 18, 2019, 12:38:04 PM »

Clearly, lesson learned.

I love that these kinds of stats have taken over basketball.

We're in a position in 2019 where an All-American who shot 8-15 (3-6 from deep) and went 11-11 from the line, and effectively ended the game by moving it from a two possession game into a 20 point lead, should be criticized for being too selfish in posting those numbers.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #164 on: April 18, 2019, 12:49:01 PM »
Ditto this question.

I'll hang up and listen for the answer, which I hope will include some evidence.

'82, does it really matter?

Referencing your KISS line (which I agree with), it doesn't. This is a damn mess and it is very, very sad.

The worst part about this whole situation is that the parties couldn't come together a few weeks after the season ended to work it out. Trying to air issues, make changes, etc., in the heat of  the season, not to mention a losing streak is tough. That said, you would hope that with some time and cooler heads, that common ground and understanding could have been found.

mujivitz06

• Team Captain
« Reply #165 on: April 18, 2019, 12:49:27 PM »

He was "open" from 45 feet. That doesn't really count.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #166 on: April 18, 2019, 02:08:27 PM »
He was "open" from 45 feet. That doesn't really count.
We have the benefit of knowing the end result so guess what, it does count.
No Finish Line

MU82

• All American
« Reply #167 on: April 18, 2019, 02:12:17 PM »
'82, does it really matter?

Referencing your KISS line (which I agree with), it doesn't. This is a damn mess and it is very, very sad.

The worst part about this whole situation is that the parties couldn't come together a few weeks after the season ended to work it out. Trying to air issues, make changes, etc., in the heat of  the season, not to mention a losing streak is tough. That said, you would hope that with some time and cooler heads, that common ground and understanding could have been found.

Agreed it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, which is why I didn't bring it up. I do hope you'll agree that if one makes an accusation and pretends he has evidence, that it's human nature for others to want to see the evidence.

And I of course agree that it's a damn shame that adults (both older like Wojo and young like the players) couldn't work this out like, well, adults.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #168 on: April 18, 2019, 02:23:08 PM »

No, it doesn't. And there is a 0% chance Markus could have successfully delivered that pass. 0%.

I'm not even a huge fan of Markus' game. He can play selfishly at times. But he had no choice but to create for himself there. There was no lane for that pass.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #169 on: April 18, 2019, 02:29:06 PM »
No, it doesn't. And there is a 0% chance Markus could have successfully delivered that pass. 0%.

I'm not even a huge fan of Markus' game. He can play selfishly at times. But he had no choice but to create for himself there. There was no lane for that pass.
You’re referring to late in the clock. I don’t disagree with that. But Markus decided he was shooting the second he got the ball. Under the circumstances I would’ve liked to have seen him work to get an open look for Sam which he obviously had no thought of doing.
No Finish Line

mujivitz06

• Team Captain
« Reply #170 on: April 18, 2019, 02:31:03 PM »

Actually it doesn't, in terms of the debate. The result has nothing to do with what is being debated.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #171 on: April 18, 2019, 02:34:08 PM »
Actually it doesn't, in terms of the debate. The result has nothing to do with what is being debated.
Sure it does. Howard made a bad decision which resulted in a loss. Here’s the video for anyone who wants to refresh their memory. Plenty of opportunity early in that shot clock to get Sam the ball. Kind of a microcosm of why we’re in the position we are today eh?

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/game?gameId=401120747
No Finish Line

onepost

• All American
« Reply #172 on: April 18, 2019, 03:05:23 PM »
Agreed it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, which is why I didn't bring it up. I do hope you'll agree that if one makes an accusation and pretends he has evidence, that it's human nature for others to want to see the evidence.

And I of course agree that it's a damn shame that adults (both older like Wojo and young like the players) couldn't work this out like, well, adults.

This is bullcrap.  I've shared as much as I possibly could, clearly to a fault, to inform this board of what transpired.

You don't like the substance of said insight and don't want to believe it and that's fine, but don't say crap like "pretends he has evidence" when what I've shared has been vetted and corroborated by multiple people who were there firsthand.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #173 on: April 18, 2019, 03:52:41 PM »
Sure it does. Howard made a bad decision which resulted in a loss. Here’s the video for anyone who wants to refresh their memory. Plenty of opportunity early in that shot clock to get Sam the ball. Kind of a microcosm of why we’re in the position we are today eh?

Just so I understand your position... you wanted the ball to Sam early off the inbound so he would dribble up the floor and ISO/attempt to beat his man off the dribble?

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #174 on: April 18, 2019, 03:57:21 PM »

He could have got him the ball around midcourt. The defender on that side would have come up and forced a pass to Cain in the corner unless the defense completely broke down. There is no scenario where Sam gets an open shot.

Is a Cain wide open corner 3 a better shot than the one Howard got? That's possible.