Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 06:36:07 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by tower912
[Today at 06:25:35 PM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What was Wojo's alternative?  (Read 77926 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: What was Wojo's alternative?
« Reply #125 on: April 18, 2019, 07:56:00 AM »
I do not believe the letter was a "bash Markus" letter. 

The Hausers -- and the rest of the kids on the team -- are not dummies by any stretch, and frankly, they are the opposite, well spoken young men.  They did not write a whiney-bitch letter aimed at one player.

I will bet a bag of Arby's "the letter" was very much aimed at Wojo's offensive "system" and what types of changes would make the team better and more consistent, and lessen variability.

Since "the letter" didn't appear to effect change, one would guess the coach dug his heels in -- surprising to no one.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #126 on: April 18, 2019, 08:03:36 AM »
Whether the letter was to bash Markus or to get Wojo to change his offensive system, I'm not sure asking a coach to change his entire offensive system with...4 games? left in the regular season is all that reasonable.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #127 on: April 18, 2019, 08:05:01 AM »
Two players DID leave after Markus announced he was coming back. Are you sure it was just them who wanted to leave?

Reasonably certain, yes.
We Are Marquette

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #128 on: April 18, 2019, 08:11:21 AM »
I do not believe the letter was a "bash Markus" letter. 

The Hausers -- and the rest of the kids on the team -- are not dummies by any stretch, and frankly, they are the opposite, well spoken young men.  They did not write a whiney-bitch letter aimed at one player.

I will bet a bag of Arby's "the letter" was very much aimed at Wojo's offensive "system" and what types of changes would make the team better and more consistent, and lessen variability.

Since "the letter" didn't appear to effect change, one would guess the coach dug his heels in -- surprising to no one.

And yet, the "letter" was allegedly written after the Villanova game after an incredible run by the team.  A run where they went 20-2.

It took one loss for the frustration to spill out and the subsequent results after were what? 

I am with Connie on this one...this seems very petty on all counts and it's incredible it came to this. A week ago I was reveling in a Top 5 team...now I am being served up a toxic stew of month old Beef 'n Cheddars.  There are only losers in this.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #129 on: April 18, 2019, 08:22:19 AM »
And yet, the "letter" was allegedly written after the Villanova game after an incredible run by the team.  A run where they went 20-2.

It took one loss for the frustration to spill out and the subsequent results after were what? 

I am with Connie on this one...this seems very petty on all counts and it's incredible it came to this. A week ago I was reveling in a Top 5 team...now I am being served up a toxic stew of month old Beef 'n Cheddars.  There are only losers in this.

Based on posts, I thought some of the frustration was started after losing to Nova. The letter didn’t come until after meetings and later in the season.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #130 on: April 18, 2019, 08:26:11 AM »
Based on posts, I thought some of the frustration was started after losing to Nova. The letter didn’t come until after meetings and later in the season.

When it was scripted is about as clear as mud.  What is clear, it took one loss, the Nova loss, for the team to unravel. 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #131 on: April 18, 2019, 08:27:06 AM »
I have to ask where any of the assistant coaches were as this developed, because this entire debacle reeks of coaching malpractice.  Someone on the staff has to:
1)be aware of the severity of the issue; 
2)be a buffer/safe space for venting player discontent;
3)be able to talk to Wojo about some kind of accommodation;
4)sell the Hausers on some accommodation.

I sure there are other points to be added, but I am still stunned that this wasn't headed off in some way.  No way this issue should have reached the point it did. The more that comes out the more ridiculous it gets.  This whole letter thing is utter madness. 

We have assistant coaches for a reason, and one of them is helping manage disputes over ego, usage, playing time and jealousies, coaching stubbornness and whatever you want to put in the mix. We don't have a numbers guy that can go through the end of game efficiency stats or whatever the issue of the day is and work something out?  The whole team self destructs in three to four games?  Its just ridiculous.

Exactly.  This idea that Wojo couldn't really do anything only makes sense if you ignore what lead up to the point where an ultimatum was issued.  This isn't some disgruntled freshman we're talking about here.  This is a three year starter whose brother finished up high school early less than 18 months ago in order to join the team.

The coaching staff completely screwed this up, and Wojo is the head of the coaching staff.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #132 on: April 18, 2019, 08:50:24 AM »
Let's hypothesize for a moment that Wojo was contemplating making adjustments to the offense.    The one that had led to a 20-2 record.    Let us also hypothesize that as he was contemplating this, the mutiny letter arrived.    At that point, his hands are tied.   He cannot give in as it would basically mean that he was not in charge of the team and the players are dictating terms.     

In the end, the Hausers wanted more touches.    Markus came back, they left.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

connie

• All American
« Reply #133 on: April 18, 2019, 09:00:52 AM »
Let's hypothesize for a moment that Wojo was contemplating making adjustments to the offense.    The one that had led to a 20-2 record.    Let us also hypothesize that as he was contemplating this, the mutiny letter arrived.    At that point, his hands are tied.   He cannot give in as it would basically mean that he was not in charge of the team and the players are dictating terms.     

I strongly disagree with this.  No accommodation is possible?  Nothing at all?  The letter was "change our (to this point) very successful offensive system entirely or we're leaving because we lost one (or two, or three) games?  And Wojo would say in response "F- you.  I'm not gonna change a single thing even though I was thinking of it anyway, simply because you complained?"   I welcome voices supporting Wojo, but even against this background this is unbelievable.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 09:02:23 AM by connie »
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #134 on: April 18, 2019, 09:02:16 AM »
I am with Connie on this one...this seems very petty on all counts and it's incredible it came to this.

I'm not sure I'd agree any of this classifies as "petty."    I mean, if we're talking Pee Wee little league, yeah.  This is supposed to be a high major basketball program, thousands of fans, millions of dollars involved, not to mention future careers. 

If (reasonable) players on the team try to change the coaching system vocally, then feel a letter is their last option, I don't see that as petty.  It's a massive nuclear red flag that something is very wrong, and the coach -- and MUAD people -- need to deal with the situation very seriously.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #135 on: April 18, 2019, 09:08:21 AM »

Calling it a mutiny letter is a little ridiculous.  A good coach communicates well with the players.  This is evidence this communication wasn't occurring. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

onepost

• All American
« Reply #136 on: April 18, 2019, 09:10:22 AM »

Letter was written just before the BE tournament.  It was not a "change our whole offense" letter, it was a "please get through to a certain someone that he can't be freelancing like this anymore" letter.  Not a mutiny, but a last ditch effort since previous efforts obviously didn't result in anything.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #137 on: April 18, 2019, 09:10:35 AM »
I'm not sure I'd agree any of this classifies as "petty."    I mean, if we're talking Pee Wee little league, yeah.  This is supposed to be a high major basketball program, thousands of fans, millions of dollars involved, not to mention future careers. 

If (reasonable) players on the team try to change the coaching system vocally, then feel a letter is their last option, I don't see that as petty.  It's a massive nuclear red flag that something is very wrong, and the coach -- and MUAD people -- need to deal with the situation very seriously.

So when MU was 20-2 all is good.  One loss (or two) and there is a tinder box? 

Not dismissing concerns but petty (definition: all was good for a couple of months and then it wasn't) or small things went immediately to a flash point.  That's a lot of tinder with one spark.

As I said, there are only losers across the board in that it had to come to this. Vanity loves company.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #138 on: April 18, 2019, 09:19:43 AM »
So when MU was 20-2 all is good.  One loss (or two) and there is a tinder box? 

Not dismissing concerns but petty (definition: all was good for a couple of months and then it wasn't) or small things went immediately to a flash point.  That's a lot of tinder with one spark.

As I said, there are only losers across the board in that it had to come to this. Vanity loves company.

The letter was written AFTER they lost 4 in a row
The letter was written AFTER numerous attempts to talk to the staff
The letter was written and signed MANY players

If ya'll going to disparage Sam, Joey and Dave...you might as well start disparaging Sacar, Theo, Ed etc.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #139 on: April 18, 2019, 09:24:24 AM »

I don't agree with your conclusions. In your hypothetical scenario Wojo could have told the players that he and his staff were already planning a change in strategy.

Hypotheticals aside, Wojo lost control of the team. They were spiraling downward and he did nothing to address the issues, be it injuries, poor decisions by players, bad locker room, etc.

I hope Wojo is a quick study and can rebound for next year. I believe next year could be the end since MU's administration is not offering him an extension.   

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #140 on: April 18, 2019, 09:26:25 AM »

If ya'll going to disparage Sam, Joey and Dave...you might as well start disparaging Sacar, Theo, Ed etc.

Whatever.  Fights in the locker room at Nova, bitch meetings, all about me tweets, letters.  No winners, all losers all the way around. I am not disparaging any one personally.  The facts are, everyone is a loser that it has come to this over everyday team stuff.  Sad.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #141 on: April 18, 2019, 09:44:03 AM »
Whether the letter was to bash Markus or to get Wojo to change his offensive system, I'm not sure asking a coach to change his entire offensive system with...4 games? left in the regular season is all that reasonable.

I don't think they were asking the coach to change his entire system. The system was fine. The problem was that more and more Wojo was allowing (encouraging?) Markus to play hero ball outside of the system. You can't be saying "The strength of the team is the team" in press conferences and allowing one guy to totally take over on the court. Players see through that.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #142 on: April 18, 2019, 09:50:29 AM »
Whatever.  Fights in the locker room at Nova, bitch meetings, all about me tweets, letters.  No winners, all losers all the way around. I am not disparaging any one personally.  The facts are, everyone is a loser that it has come to this over everyday team stuff.  Sad.

Totally agree, there are no winners.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

GoldenEagle323

• Team Captain
« Reply #143 on: April 18, 2019, 09:53:20 AM »
Why we need to clear the house after this year

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #144 on: April 18, 2019, 09:54:21 AM »

Have you seen the letter?

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #145 on: April 18, 2019, 09:56:39 AM »
Have you seen the letter?

Has anyone seen it?
We Are Marquette

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #146 on: April 18, 2019, 09:56:47 AM »
I don't think they were asking the coach to change his entire system. The system was fine. The problem was that more and more Wojo was allowing (encouraging?) Markus to play hero ball outside of the system. You can't be saying "The strength of the team is the team" in press conferences and allowing one guy to totally take over on the court. Players see through that.

This sounds more reasonable to me
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #147 on: April 18, 2019, 10:12:49 AM »
Letter was written just before the BE tournament.  It was not a "change our whole offense" letter, it was a "please get through to a certain someone that he can't be freelancing like this anymore" letter.  Not a mutiny, but a last ditch effort since previous efforts obviously didn't result in anything.

Interesting.

So the first response after the letter was arguably the best second half performance of the team all season led by...........Markus Howard.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #148 on: April 18, 2019, 10:48:50 AM »

Just Scoop's revenue stream!

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #149 on: April 18, 2019, 10:54:36 AM »
Kindly look at the shots the last 4 losses, the differential between those games and the season as a whole was less Sam got his shots, and missed

feedback