'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: For those calling for his head  (Read 8762 times)

Don_Kojis

• Scholarship Player
Re: For those calling for his head
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2018, 04:37:08 PM »
We need a point guard next year that can dribble against pressure and can dribble down the court and not lose the ball.   Also we need to learn how to box out .  Also with the price of tickets going up possibly 40%,   I don't see the attendance going up.   I wouldn't be surprised that alot of people drop their seats.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2018, 04:47:49 PM »

Excuse or not, is our team not young?  Is Markus not 18?  Are we small but getting bigger next year with recruits and transfers?  Why call them excuses when they are also factual?  Next year is big, but this year is exactly how many thought it would be.  NIT team, young with ups and downs.

I believe that was sort of the point of his post. When this season is officially over, the time for excuses is also over.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2018, 06:06:14 PM »
I believe that was sort of the point of his post. When this season is officially over, the time for excuses is also over.

I think all Wojo supporters and people giving him the benefit of the doubt would agree. This is the last "wait until next year" year. There should be substantial improvement next year and if there's not it's time to consider all options.

curbina

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2018, 06:10:01 PM »
I'm am on the fire Wojo train! Dan Hurley would be a very good hire. If you want Dan Hurley you better make your move ASAP.
“You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks.”
- Winston S. Churchill

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2018, 06:19:56 PM »
I'm am on the fire Wojo train! Dan Hurley would be a very good hire. If you want Dan Hurley you better make your move ASAP.
If you think we can outbid Louisville, Arizona and other big programs, by all means, write to Scholl, Lovell and the BOT, but keep in mind that a job becomes a lot less appealing if potential hires know that they're fired the first year that the don't meet expectations. Not giving coaches a chance generally doesn't inspire others to try.

curbina

• Starter
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2018, 06:35:30 PM »
Cut your loss, ASAP! WoJo is done! One more year will not help him.
“You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks.”
- Winston S. Churchill

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2018, 06:37:58 PM »
Cut your loss, ASAP! WoJo is done! One more year will not help him.
As stated above, firing a coach the first year he underachievs (which is still debatable at this point) , is not a good recipe for attracting new hires. Who would want to come if they know they're gone the first time they don't improve from year to year?

curbina

• Starter
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2018, 07:06:25 PM »
Its DJOver, I'm a Futures Trader and have been one for may years. I make my living by picking winners and losers. I say Wojo is a looser and I'm willing to put my money on the table. We can use willie warrior's minimum acceptable results for wojo shown below. If Wojo completes the minimum scenario you win otherwise I win. Please let me know if you want to put your money on the table.

Posted by willie warrior

So what should be the minimum acceptable results for next year to put out the red carpet for Wojo. This would be a good scenario:

1. Compete for BEast regular season title--at least a top 3 finish.
2. A deep run in BEast tourney
3. A top 15 ranking
4. Regular season record of at least 23-7
5. NCAA tourney regional seed of 4 or better
6. No one and done in tourney
7. Improved home attendance.

The above should be easily attainable given the assets Wojo/MU has, and the support many on this board have advocated on Wojo, and their reasons why we should be so good.
- Winston S. Churchill

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2018, 07:13:53 PM »
I think you are missing my point. On a normal off-season, if it were to open up, the MU job would be one of the best available. This off-season it may not even be top 5. Now if we were to do an internal hire, that would be a different story. But my guess is that Stan would be at about the same level as wojo so the BOT likely would want a nation wide search.
I think you are missing the obvious. MU in any season is not a top 5 open job. You can see that by all of our hires since Majerus. We have never been on a successful high major coach's list of jobs. That is why we continually hire unproven assistants.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2018, 07:27:54 PM »
I think you are missing the obvious. MU in any season is not a top 5 open job. You can see that by all of our hires since Majerus. We have never been on a successful high major coach's list of jobs. That is why we continually hire unproven assistants.
What five jobs were better the year that we hired Wojo?  I don't think Cal is, Texas could be considered better although there is a serious debate there with football being the number 1, 2, and 3 sport in that state.  Those are the only two openings I can remember off the top of my head because that's where Cuonzo and Shaka ended up.  I think a lot of Beast jobs are generally pretty desirable because coaches know that basketball will always be number one.  What other P6 schools is that the case for? I4, Duke, Kansas, and maybe UCLA.  You could very well be right, I don't know, just thinking back I can't remember very many years that there were a lot of open jobs that were obviously more desirable than MU.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2018, 07:40:05 PM »
Its DJOver, I'm a Futures Trader and have been one for may years. I make my living by picking winners and losers. I say Wojo is a looser and I'm willing to put my money on the table. We can use willie warrior's minimum acceptable results for wojo shown below. If Wojo completes the minimum scenario you win otherwise I win. Please let me know if you want to put your money on the table.

Posted by willie warrior

So what should be the minimum acceptable results for next year to put out the red carpet for Wojo. This would be a good scenario:

1. Compete for BEast regular season title--at least a top 3 finish.
2. A deep run in BEast tourney
3. A top 15 ranking
4. Regular season record of at least 23-7
5. NCAA tourney regional seed of 4 or better
6. No one and done in tourney
7. Improved home attendance.

The above should be easily attainable given the assets Wojo/MU has, and the support many on this board have advocated on Wojo, and their reasons why we should be so good.

I agreed with Willie that those were a good set of achievements that should be attainable, and I'll ask you the same question that I asked him.  If we get a top three finish in the Beast, but the highest were ranked during the year is 16, have a record of 22-8, and get a 5 seed in the tourney would that be a failed season to you.  I agree that no one and done is a necessity, and I would even take it a step further that if Markus and Sam graduate without a S16 appearance, Wojo's gotta go.  As for home attendance,  I think we both know that's a sucker bet with the likely bump in ticket prices.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2018, 09:24:04 PM »
What five jobs were better the year that we hired Wojo?  I don't think Cal is, Texas could be considered better although there is a serious debate there with football being the number 1, 2, and 3 sport in that state.  Those are the only two openings I can remember off the top of my head because that's where Cuonzo and Shaka ended up.  I think a lot of Beast jobs are generally pretty desirable because coaches know that basketball will always be number one.  What other P6 schools is that the case for? I4, Duke, Kansas, and maybe UCLA.  You could very well be right, I don't know, just thinking back I can't remember very many years that there were a lot of open jobs that were obviously more desirable than MU.

Wake Forest was open that year (Danny Manning).  I think New Mexico may have also been open that year as well.

And Shaka didn't go to Texas that year.  He stayed at VCU for another year and went to Texas the following year.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2018, 09:50:15 PM »
Wake Forest was open that year (Danny Manning).  I think New Mexico may have also been open that year as well.

And Shaka didn't go to Texas that year.  He stayed at VCU for another year and went to Texas the following year.
Thanks for the correction,  I think this just furthers my point that when Wojo was hired MU was one of the top 5 jobs available

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2018, 11:24:14 PM »
I'm still convinced that it is just a vocal minority, but there have been more posts suggesting the dismissal of Wojo. My question is, who exactly would you suggest replace him?

This offseason is likely to have the greatest amount of coaching movement in the history of college basketball, with many high profile jobs likely being up for grabs.  There is only a limited number of mid-to-high quality mid major coaches out there that will likely be attracting a lot of attention since many of the programs looking for new coaches won't be in a position to just promote assistants. 

If I'm a mid major coach that is looking to make the jump this offseason, I would rather go to a blue blood, where I will be given at least 3+ years with little to no expectations to completely rebuild the program the way that I want to.  Depending on which players leave with Wojo, assuming his dismissal, we would still be in a position to be competitive in the immediate future so expectations would likely be higher in the short term, even if the existing players don't fit the system that the coach wants to run.

Many people would like a coach with high major experience.  My thoughts are that we would already know their ceiling.  Crean reached his ceiling at MU, as did Buzz (I don't think he can get VT to an E8, you may disagree).  With Cuonzo, we already know his ceiling.  I would rather continue to roll the dice with a mid major coach/ high major assistant that would have a lower floor, but a higher potential ceiling, and the majority of the decent to good candidates will be moving to jobs that are "better" than MU.

The blue bloods under investigation will spend whatever it takes to remain there.  There are numerous examples of programs that were blue bloods that dropped off a cliff. MU from the end of Rick to the O'Neill. Vegas after Tarkanian.  As much as we spend, we will be unable to compete with both the money and the prestige of the current blue bloods.

This is by no means a defense of Wojo. Losing to DePaul is unacceptable no matter the circumstances, but the BOT shouldn't fire Wojo just to fire him.  If they decide to move on from the Wojo experiment, they need to make a hire that would be an improvement, and I think a lot of those candidates will also be interviewing for jobs such as Arizona, MSU, Louisville, etc.
Stan is the perfect replacement. He recruited all the kids, is very motivational and is would come at a good price.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2018, 11:28:16 PM »
Stan is the perfect replacement. He recruited all the kids, is very motivational and is would come at a good price.

Yes. Administration is so disappointed in the men's basketball that they fire the head coach....it only makes sense that they hire the number two guy from the program they were so disappointed in to replace him!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2018, 11:30:11 PM »
Yes. Administration is so disappointed in the men's basketball that they fire the head coach....it only makes sense that they hire the number two guy from the program they were so disappointed in to replace him!
Wojo wont be fired. He will leave on his own accord and Stan will gracefully present himself as the man with a plan.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2018, 11:42:03 PM »
Wojo deserves a shot next year. He's not going anywhere. If the team massively underperforms next season and the in-game coaching doesn't improve all bets are off.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2018, 12:04:01 AM »
Wojo wont be fired. He will leave on his own accord and Stan will gracefully present himself as the man with a plan.

That sounds very ominous. I hope all is well with Wojo. I know its not been a great season but I would never see him stepping down, too much money and too much promise for the future. Either way, I was hoping things go well next year and that he will be with MU for a long time.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2018, 01:17:54 AM »

Why would he leave? I heard he and Lovell have bromance. So much so that Lovell gave him a huge contract extension last season.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2018, 01:18:05 AM »
Wojo runs a clean program.  That is paramount.  Winning also important and I want to see top 25 every year.  I also want a coach that makes the school and the community and the state in which he lives a priority.  Finally I want exciting basketball.  Wojo has my vote now and for the foreseeable future. 

I predict right now that our discussion next year is how to keep him from leaving for a top 10 program.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2018, 04:43:15 AM »
That sounds very ominous.

That's because he made it up.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2018, 09:56:53 AM »
Wojo runs a clean program.  That is paramount.  Winning also important and I want to see top 25 every year.  I also want a coach that makes the school and the community and the state in which he lives a priority.  Finally I want exciting basketball.  Wojo has my vote now and for the foreseeable future. 

I predict right now that our discussion next year is how to keep him from leaving for a top 10 program.

What could possibly give you that idea? What's on his head coaching resume that would impress top 10 programs? Saying he has your vote for coming years is one thing, saying he's good enough to run the show at Nova, MSU, Kansas, etc is entirely different. Being supportive doesn't have to mean being unrealistic.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2018, 08:27:22 AM »
That sounds very ominous. I hope all is well with Wojo. I know its not been a great season but I would never see him stepping down, too much money and too much promise for the future. Either way, I was hoping things go well next year and that he will be with MU for a long time.
The guy is about WWE type drama BS
Goal is National Championship

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2018, 08:34:51 AM »
The guy is about WWE type drama BS

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind going forward.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2018, 08:41:20 AM »

I agree with everything except the part about next year. 

I think we will be considerably better next season, but top 10 programs typically expect a guy to have more than one big season.  The only way he gets on top 10 programs' radar after next season is if we hit the jackpot and make it to the Final Four.  Otherwise, it would take at least two or three Sweet Sixteen type years.