'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting and the Death Spiral  (Read 8785 times)

1SE

• All American
Recruiting and the Death Spiral
« on: February 11, 2017, 02:06:37 PM »
It's easy to be hyperbolistically pessimistic when we've dropped 4 of 5 playing 4 of the 5 bottom teams in the standings, so what the hey.

IF we miss not only the tourney, but also the NIT how will that hurt recruiting? Last year (say what you will) could at least be pointed at as a "step forward" with the program in the "right direction". If we finish sub-500 in conference this year and miss any meaningful post BE basketball, what narrative do you sell to recruits? Everyone wants to come to a place where they'll win.

And if we can't keep recruiting at the level we have been, it seems like we start a real downward spiral into the morass of prolonged mediocrity.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 02:11:20 PM by 1SE »
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

GoldenZebra

• All American
Re: Recruiting and the Death Spiral
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 02:09:22 PM »
not only that, but ticket sales will continue to decrease. If the diehard fans are losing faith, I doubt even the casual fans will stick around much longer.

Warrior_2002

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 02:11:12 PM »
I'm willing to give the chance of having a program fully implemented (3 years versus a full 4).  Team lacks leadership now and I have to believe part of that is the old regime mixed with the new mixed with the bridge players like Reinhardt.
But admit these ups and downs are darn frustrating

Warrior_2002

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 02:12:56 PM »
So do you all suggest firing Wojo?

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 02:20:08 PM »

No? But he will be starting to get very warm after this year if we fail to make progress. If things aren't looking up next year, then well? I'll talk then.

Warrior_2002

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 02:23:36 PM »
No? But he will be starting to get very warm after this year if we fail to make progress. If things aren't looking up next year, then well? I'll talk then.

I'm with you on that.  Changeover is tough.  I realize Buzz hit it pretty quick and so our expectations are high.  But gotta get the right rotation and mix.  I just wanted to get in this year.  Just get in but next best will a solid NIT showing.  Patience.  Which is hard

1SE

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 02:24:52 PM »
Hard to see how anyone in the MU family is real thrilled at this point.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 02:48:16 PM »
This is a huge stretch. From needing 5-5 to make the NCAA 2 weeks ago to needing 4-1 today? The season's not done, but that clear path is now a murky slog.

We're in position to undo a lot of goodwill. I'm not close to pulling the plug, but today is the most pessimistic I've felt since Buzz to Va Tech was announced.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

sailwi

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2017, 02:59:50 PM »
This is a huge stretch. From needing 5-5 to make the NCAA 2 weeks ago to needing 4-1 today? The season's not done, but that clear path is now a murky slog.

We're in position to undo a lot of goodwill. I'm not close to pulling the plug, but today is the most pessimistic I've felt since Buzz to Va Tech was announced.

If you aren't willing to pull the plug then you are the eternal optimist. I'm sure they will win another game but given the recent performance 2-3 wins  is the ceiling.  After each misstep I thought (hoped) they would come out and play with their hair on fire the next game but no sign of that happening.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2017, 03:01:58 PM »
I would be worried when Sam looks at his line and sees 2 shot attempts and Reinhardt launching 11.  His parents and brother certainly take note

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2017, 03:12:21 PM »
If you aren't willing to pull the plug then you are the eternal optimist. I'm sure they will win another game but given the recent performance 2-3 wins  is the ceiling.  After each misstep I thought (hoped) they would come out and play with their hair on fire the next game but no sign of that happening.

It's that I still realize making the NIT is progress this year, and that's still attainable. It's not what any of us wanted, but objectively, if the question in November was "is making the NIT without Henry an improvement on 2016?" the absolute obvious answer is yes.

I try not to adjust my expectations because of a good day or two. Yes, I at one point hoped we could be a 6 seed and top 2-3 in the league, but the realist in me knows that NIT is progress just like First Four or traditional NCAA bid would be progress.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2017, 03:18:23 PM »
I would be worried when Sam looks at his line and sees 2 shot attempts and Reinhardt launching 11.  His parents and brother certainly take note

Sam needs to push through the freshmen wall and put in the work in the offseason to work on his many deficiencies.  He has been scouted and shut down and Wojo is not capable of helping him get through it at the moment.  Chucking up more shots, is definitely not the answer.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2017, 03:26:12 PM »

Since they rarely, if ever, play together then I have no idea why his family would be concerned about this. 

Sam played 20 minutes today and shot the ball twice.  That's not because he was open.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2017, 03:28:31 PM »
No, but the temperature needs to elevate under his ass.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2017, 03:34:22 PM »
LOL--This is so stupid--you have no idea on the 'notes' that Sams parents and brothers are taking. Just dumb.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2017, 03:41:51 PM »
It's that I still realize making the NIT is progress this year, and that's still attrightble. It's not what any of us wanted, but objectively, if the question in November was "is making the NIT without Henry an improvement on 2016?" the absolute obvious answer is yes.

I try not to adjust my expectations because of a good day or two. Yes, I at one point hoped we could be a 6 seed and top 2-3 in the league, but the realist in me knows that NIT is progress just like First Four or traditional NCAA bid would be progress.

Yeah, but are 2 more wins enough for the NIT? (and getting two will be no cake walk).

Maybe this will be a wake-up call and we'll run the table.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2017, 03:43:24 PM »
LOL--This is so stupid--you have no idea on the 'notes' that Sams parents and brothers are taking. Just dumb.

OK.  You're entitled to think that.  I know what I know.  You remain resolute on your high horse.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2017, 03:49:07 PM »

Great analysis. Hauser was on the court a lot, he can't create his shot and every team switches now to stop the 3. It's not Wojo's fault he's a swinging door on defense and can't rebound. He needs to put on 20 pounds, he'll be tough then.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2017, 03:56:18 PM »
I am not saying Wojo deserves to be fired but I don't agree with the people who say he HAS to stay because firing him would mean starting over. Starting over from what? We stink right now, the freshmen look more and more like they are not Big East-caliber players and unless at least two of next year's class are ready to step in and play 35 minutes night, we'll be right back 7th or 8th in the conference again. I fear there's going to be a lot of pressure on the young players to rescue his job next year.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2017, 04:00:12 PM »
I am not saying Wojo deserves to be fired but I don't agree with the people who say he HAS to stay because firing him would mean starting over. Starting over from what? We stink right now, the freshmen look more and more like they are not Big East-caliber players and unless at least two of next year's class are ready to step in and play 35 minutes night, we'll be right back 7th or 8th in the conference again. I fear there's going to be a lot of pressure on the young players to rescue his job next year.

This. There's a contingent here that needs to read up on the sunk cost fallacy. Having to "start over" is not reason not to get rid of a coach. Thinking the coach might still realize some potential is a reason not to get rid of a coach. But when you think a coach has fully reached his potential and you're not happy with it, you fire him as soon as you can.

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2017, 04:03:24 PM »

This is spot-on.  This roster is nothing special, the team is nothing special, and it's not clear that '17-18 will be an improvement.  Doesn't mean I support a change, but it wouldn't set the program back much.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2017, 04:05:28 PM »
We have a week off. I hope we straighten this mess out. Also according
to a rivals poll, Greg Elliott is 80% Michigan State, MU 20%. Still rooting
for Wojo, but it's still "what have you done for me lately" and I don't want
to restart again.

mayfairskatingrink

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2017, 04:10:34 PM »

I'm getting worried that Hauser didn't hit some "Freshman wall" but is just a very limited player.  How easily UW made him invisible should have been a warning sign.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2017, 04:10:53 PM »
There is a great deal of work still ahead for this program. I'm not giving up on Wojo, but think it is fair to be highly concerned. For those with high expectations for next year, I think you have very blind faith. Losing Luke is going to hurt far more than most want to admit.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2017, 04:20:53 PM »
OK.  You're entitled to think that.  I know what I know.  You remain resolute on your high horse.
Not on a high horse at all. I think you know very little on the situation.

feedback