'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: SOTG  (Read 8794 times)

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
Re: SOTG
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2016, 02:28:28 PM »
What I'm not clear on is where exactly JJJ falls short.

Right now he's easily one of our best players — I'd say it's a toss-up between him and Luke, a former Mr. Basketball for the state of Wisconsin. (Not coincidentally, both seniors.) And JaJuan may still be improving.

This probably isn't fair to JJJ but here is where he falls short in my mind.  For as high as he was ranked coming in and now with 4 years in the program, you expect him to be the leader willing this team to victory -- for recent examples think of senior years for Wes/Jerel, Lazar, Jimmy, Jae or Junior year Vander. 

So he is good player on an ok team - I just hoped he would mature into that go-to guy and leader when in fact he is more of a role player.  He may have a team leading performance this year - but unless we improve in 2H v. 1H it will be on a less than memorable team.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2016, 02:30:52 PM »
This probably isn't fair to JJJ but here is where he falls short in my mind.  For as high as he was ranked coming in and now with 4 years in the program, you expect him to be the leader willing this team to victory -- for recent examples think of senior years for Wes/Jerel, Lazar, Jimmy, Jae or Junior year Vander. 

So he is good player on an ok team - I just hoped he would mature into that go-to guy and leader when in fact he is more of a role player.  He may have a team leading performance this year - but unless we improve in 2H v. 1H it will be on a less than memorable team.
Don't think JJ has the personality to be a leader.  Being a good player does not equal being a leader. 

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2016, 02:35:04 PM »
nm
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 09:40:24 PM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2016, 03:44:50 PM »
Gotcha. Nobody said expectations have to be realistic or fair.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2016, 04:39:52 PM »
I'm not sure Henry would average 15 ppg on this team.

I disagree with that. The only person that could have kept Henry from hitting 15 ppg on this team is Wojo. More likely he'd be pouring in 20/12 right now. Hopefully with improved efficiency.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2016, 07:38:53 PM »
JJJ hasn't fallen short in my eyes.

I expected him to be a good player and a major contributor to a winning team.

He is a good player and a major contributor to a winning team.

On top of that, he has improved so markedly as a shooter, both from distance and in his pull-up game. A testament to his hard work and the hard work of the coaching staff.

Way to go, Jajuan!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2016, 07:55:05 PM »

On top of that, he has improved so markedly as a shooter, both from distance and in his pull-up game. A testament to his hard work and the hard work of the coaching staff.

Way to go, Jajuan!

Wojo said he could be a top Big East player if he keeps his game consistent on both ends...thus he is coaching him hard.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2016, 08:39:39 PM »
His hideous shot has improved. He is a pisser on D. His propensity for driving into the pines and the inevitable resultant turnover drives me nuts. I love him, but in all honesty feel that he has been a bit of a disappointment. When he's hot, he's hot, when he's not, he's not.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2016, 08:58:43 PM »

Way to go, Jajuan!
TO'sTO's TO's thati is his problem.
Goal is National Championship

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2016, 09:33:59 PM »
SOTG = the team

This is the first game in years where everyone on the team played their role as close to perfectly as possible.  Can't fault anyone.
Even Matty's 5 fouls were part of an all-out high energy performance that is needed from a backup big.
I know it was a cupcake, but this kind of effort and balance and well played roles will win more than it's share of BEAST games.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2016, 09:37:13 PM »
What I'm not clear on is where exactly JJJ falls short.

Basketball IQ. For all his stat sheet stuffing numbers, he still consistently makes bone headed play after bone headed play. I think why people get more frustrated with JJJ than others is because his mistakes are so easily fixed. Luke is not magically going to get stronger overnight. But all JJJ has to do is not decide to launch a 35 foot three in the first five seconds of the shot clock.

That, and I honestly think that certain posters have caused others to subconsciously dislike JJJ because of their unrelenting posts about him.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2016, 11:08:09 PM »
Basketball IQ. For all his stat sheet stuffing numbers, he still consistently makes bone headed play after bone headed play. I think why people get more frustrated with JJJ than others is because his mistakes are so easily fixed. Luke is not magically going to get stronger overnight. But all JJJ has to do is not decide to launch a 35 foot three in the first five seconds of the shot clock.

OK, but really, how often does he launch 35-footers in the first 5 seconds of the shot clock? Answer: Never. Maybe a couple of 25-footers all season in that situation.

His main problem is he gets into his drive-and-spin mode without really having an exit plan if he is picked up. That does go to basketball IQ, as you say.

Still, he is the best passer on the team, and I think by a pretty good margin. He is the most likely to break down a defender and create for teammates. He is a 34% shooter from 3 with a recent history (last season) of being over 40%. If he drives and gets fouled, he is an outstanding FT shooter. He sometimes goes for steals when he shouldn't, but when he gets steals they not only often get us points but also give us momentum. He averages 5 rebs/game, second on the team. For all the talk of his TOs, he averages only 2/game; that's at least one too many but hardly catastrophe level.

I think among Scoopers, JJJ is a victim of outsized expectations and, yes, MUFINY's relentlessness.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #62 on: December 22, 2016, 11:10:46 PM »

That, and I honestly think that certain posters have caused others to subconsciously dislike JJJ because of their unrelenting posts about him.

Yep, I agree.  If he would use more intelligence  and discipline in those TO moments he will become someone that give added leadership strength to the younger guys, and we pick up 2-3 more win.

And you know, I think he does it!!
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #63 on: December 22, 2016, 11:49:31 PM »
OK, but really, how often does he launch 35-footers in the first 5 seconds of the shot clock? Answer: Never. Maybe a couple of 25-footers all season in that situation.

He did it at least once. 
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #64 on: December 23, 2016, 12:03:30 AM »
I don't know why anyone would still be mad at JJ, didn't he transfer 3 years ago? (And 2 years ago, and last year midseason, and 1 year ago...)
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 23, 2016, 05:13:45 AM »
He was pretty much out the door until Buzz left. That being said, I love JJJ and think he has come a looong way since his Freshman year. He may be the best example of constant year to year improvement in recent memory along with Vander.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 23, 2016, 06:59:04 AM »

I loved the JJJ that showed up in the 2nd half of the season last year and seemed to have bought into what Wojo was preaching.  He stopped lunging for steals and leaving his man wide open, was much better about picking his shots, and got back on defense.  Too often this year he has reverted to prior bad habits and played 1-on-5 hero ball. Getting those steals against Georgia might have been a negative in terms of his thought process on defense.

If JJJ can go back to playing within himself he will be our best player.

If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #67 on: December 23, 2016, 07:44:49 AM »

His main problem is he gets into his drive-and-spin mode without really having an exit plan if he is picked up. That does go to basketball IQ, as you say.
I think the same could be said for Haanie but no one gets on him about it. Granted, he and JjJ are different in a lot of respects, but they are both trying to make something happen and are sometimes out of control. That's why Haanie had 5 TOs last game and JjJ had too many the game before.

HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #68 on: December 23, 2016, 07:56:28 AM »
I think the same could be said for Haanie but no one gets on him about it. Granted, he and JjJ are different in a lot of respects, but they are both trying to make something happen and are sometimes out of control. That's why Haanie had 5 TOs last game and JjJ had too many the game before.

Whether these two, Luke or Katin, the same could be said:  Once they go in, the ball never comes out.  And the defenses know it which is why the Badgers so easily shut out Sam. 

The kick out could be valuable for everone. 

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #69 on: December 23, 2016, 08:57:40 AM »
Whether these two, Luke or Katin, the same could be said:  Once they go in, the ball never comes out.  And the defenses know it which is why the Badgers so easily shut out Sam. 

I agree with this analysis.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #70 on: December 23, 2016, 09:07:35 AM »
He did it at least once.

TAMU, you know I loves ya, but that wasn't a 35-footer.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #71 on: December 23, 2016, 09:07:38 AM »

Luke is a very good passer, especially to the cutter.  When he feels the double he's a very willing passer.  When he doesn't, he looks to score.  And when you shoot 70% from the field and have a 1 on 1 in the post, I would hope you're looking to score in that situation.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #72 on: December 23, 2016, 09:08:27 AM »

This is a good point. And JJJ seems more willing and able to pass when he gets in this mode, too.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #73 on: December 23, 2016, 09:27:34 AM »
JJJ is probably the most complete offensive player on the team.    The problem and criticisms of JjJ don't spring from when he is driving dishing and creating.    The problems/criticisms come when, despite a double double, his turnovers and lack of consistent effort, particularly on the defensive end,  are so glaringly obvious that they overshadow a filled stat sheet.    I don't think anyone here wants JjJ to not succeed.   And everyone appreciates how good he is when he gets it going. 
    What frustrates me, and I think many trend in this direction,  is when he goes half speed on defense, when it appears his only effort is for the steal and when he misses his man is getting easy baskets.    When, after several good possessions, he suddenly shoots a one-pass three from well behind the arc, completely outside of the offense.    Even more frustrating is when the previous two things happen on back to back possessions in a 30 second span.   It may not be fair, but it taints the good 5-10 minutes of solid play he had just done. And because he is a senior who has had the same mental lapses since he was a freshman, when the team needs him to be a leader, it just increases the frustration.     
   Those who love JjJ point to the 10-12 really solid plays he generally makes every game.    Those frustrated by him point to the 3-4 plays a game that are just maddening.      For some the good outweighs the bad.   For others the bad outweighs the bad.   I admit I am in the frustrated camp.   When he is playing well, he is a joy to watch.    And I start to think about how good the team would me if he just brought THAT every possession for 30 minutes a game.    But then he does something that hurts the team and is not what a senior who wants to lead should do.   And I start counting the games until he graduates.   
    Skilled.   Stayed 4 years.   I appreciate what he can bring.   I just wished/hoped that he could be relied on to bring the good every single possession.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 23, 2016, 10:08:07 AM »
JJJ is probably the most complete offensive player on the team.    The problem and criticisms of JjJ don't spring from when he is driving dishing and creating.    The problems/criticisms come when, despite a double double, his turnovers and lack of consistent effort, particularly on the defensive end,  are so glaringly obvious that they overshadow a filled stat sheet.    I don't think anyone here wants JjJ to not succeed.   And everyone appreciates how good he is when he gets it going. 
    What frustrates me, and I think many trend in this direction,  is when he goes half speed on defense, when it appears his only effort is for the steal and when he misses his man is getting easy baskets.    When, after several good possessions, he suddenly shoots a one-pass three from well behind the arc, completely outside of the offense.    Even more frustrating is when the previous two things happen on back to back possessions in a 30 second span.   It may not be fair, but it taints the good 5-10 minutes of solid play he had just done. And because he is a senior who has had the same mental lapses since he was a freshman, when the team needs him to be a leader, it just increases the frustration.     
   Those who love JjJ point to the 10-12 really solid plays he generally makes every game.    Those frustrated by him point to the 3-4 plays a game that are just maddening.      For some the good outweighs the bad.   For others the bad outweighs the bad.   I admit I am in the frustrated camp.   When he is playing well, he is a joy to watch.    And I start to think about how good the team would me if he just brought THAT every possession for 30 minutes a game.    But then he does something that hurts the team and is not what a senior who wants to lead should do.   And I start counting the games until he graduates.   
    Skilled.   Stayed 4 years.   I appreciate what he can bring.   I just wished/hoped that he could be relied on to bring the good every single possession.

JJJ is the morst frustrating player in a long time, you never know what you get.  The defensive part is the killer.  He has tremendous ability, quickness and reaction to
get a steal.  Best in years.  But if he misses a shot he rarely runs back and thinks about playing D.  Not sure he is tough enough mentally.  You would think he would
want to play in the NBA, do not see it.  Has not learned how to go left at all in 4 years, but no one drives the right side as good as he does.  The teams that really
scout him, the better teams take that away from him, but he still trys.  That is the frustrating part.  GT is very quick, lets see what he brings to the table.  Peak and Pryor are very good, he has to defend.

feedback