'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Depaul Stands Alone In First Place In The BE At 3-0  (Read 8742 times)

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Re: Depaul Stands Alone In First Place In The BE At 3-0
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2015, 06:13:16 PM »
This is bittersweet for DePaul fans though: winning games only means that Purnell will be around much longer than they hoped.
SS Marquette

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2015, 06:16:26 PM »
This is bittersweet for DePaul fans though: winning games only means that Purnell will be around much longer than they hoped.

Depaul has fans?
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2015, 06:17:29 PM »

Does DePaul still have any fans? If DePaul wins a home game against anyone other than Marquette, did it really happen since there is no one there to witness it?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2015, 06:25:00 PM »
If we can go back in a time machine to 1978 and make Mark Aguirre chose MU over DePaul.  How much would the world have changed?

Wouldn't have been hard if Al hadn't pulled out, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

connie

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2015, 06:35:31 PM »
Hark!  The apocalypse is nigh.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2015, 06:49:20 PM »
I actually think this will end up hurting DePaul in the long run. Barring something miraculous, they aren't going to make the tournament this year and finishing somewhere in the middle of the Big East will probably give Purnell a few more years of safety as the HC. I'm pretty sure we can all agree he isn't going to help "save" the program and they need to move on and look for someone new.

Purnell isn't the problem.  It's the lack of a financial commitment to the program outside of the head coaches salary.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 06:52:07 PM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2015, 06:55:29 PM »
I wonder, if St. John's flames out and misses the tourney this year, do they can Lavin? I know he had the health issues, but has had 5 years and his best results mostly came with someone else's recruits, despite him recruiting well early on, they haven't had the same results on or off the court the past few years. I have to think someone like Dan Hurley could kill it at that job.

Hurley couldn't and won't for the same reason: the lack of an adequate financial commitment to the program outside of the salary for the HC.

What was the factor that got Wojo interested in the MU job after he had failed to pursue many other inquiries from other schools over the years?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MUrugger

• Starter
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2015, 11:34:06 PM »
Absolutely gave the DePaul game away.  Up 13 with 12 minutes left; both teams should be 2-1.  And both still headed to the bottom half of the BE, looking like Cinderella's sisters.

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2015, 08:49:26 AM »
I know they lost 6 in a row heading into conference play but if they somehow beat Villanova tomorrow does the DePaul loss suddenly not look so bad? Or does the opponents they lost to during their losing streak not make up for it?

We still blew that game but who saw 3-0 coming?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2015, 10:34:09 AM »
I know they lost 6 in a row heading into conference play but if they somehow beat Villanova tomorrow does the DePaul loss suddenly not look so bad? Or does the opponents they lost to during their losing streak not make up for it?

We still blew that game but who saw 3-0 coming?

If you're thinking at large bid, honestly they are probably already out of the running. To get on the bubble, DePaul would have to go 14-4 in conference, which would give them a 20-11 record, 54 RPI, and 81 SOS going into the conference tourney. I don't see any way they go 14-4, and if they lost early at MSG they would still be questionable come Selection Sunday. Granted, if they were league champions, it's hard to imagine they would be left out considering how well they would have to play from Dec. 31 on, but I just don't see it.

For example, let's say DePaul exceeds expectations and goes 12-6 in league play, far more realistic. That would give them an 18-13 record, 83 RPI, and 81 SOS. That low of an RPI would be a very tough sell for an at large bid, despite the gaudy league record. They already have 4 sub-100 RPI losses, 2 of which are sub-200. That would take a lot of work to offset.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.