'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Challenge series  (Read 8761 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Challenge series
« on: December 03, 2014, 10:01:24 PM »
We have the Big 10/ACC, the Big 12/SEC, how is there not an East/West series with the Big East and Pac-12? I know we have the Gavitt series starting, but with both having FS1 contracts, I just don't know how this hasn't happened.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: Challenge series
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 10:43:24 PM »
Makes ssense. Especially if the big East expands

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 10:43:32 PM »
We have the Big 10/ACC, the Big 12/SEC, how is there not an East/West series with the Big East and Pac-12? I know we have the Gavitt series starting, but with both having FS1 contracts, I just don't know how this hasn't happened.

Last I heard this was in talks.

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/content/20140607-kevin-mcnamara-rhodys-instrastate-schools-maintaining-their-distance-in-basketball.ece
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 10:49:06 PM »
Nice. My worry with this not happening dinner was a series with the A-10 or AAC. Glad Fox is working on this.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 07:10:05 AM »
I wonder if, from a 'number of viewers' perspective, if a Big East - Pac-12 challenge isn't so logical. Fans of the conferences may be less likely to be familiar with the other (especially with the newer teams in the BEast). And, for the games played on the west coast, fewer east coast viewers will stay awake; for the games in the east, west coasters are still at work. I just can't imagine that there would be as many eyes on the games.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 07:40:58 AM »
From a numbers perspective obviously the Big 12 would be an ideal challenge partner. But with each conference contracted to a different network it probably won't ever happen. Thus, it's the Pac-12 if we want to do a challenge series.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 09:29:32 AM »
Some downsides like the team number differential and the time zones (3 hours difference in some cases could impact ratings).  But beggars cannot be choosers.  I would take this in a heartbeat.

The PAC-12 and BE are about equal with one another top to bottom.  However, the PAC-12 is much stronger at the top most years.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 09:59:37 AM »
I agree with those who would take this in a heartbeat...but suspect the ratings impact of the 3-hour time zone difference would be substantial.

Most hard-core fans would have no problem watching their team playing early or late - I'd certainly stay up for a 9:00 or 10:00 MU@Pac-12 game, and I suspect hard-core UCLA fans would figure out how to watch their team play an early game against us, Nova, GTown, etc.  But many "casual" fans might not watch even their own teams for really early or late games, and more importantly, east coast BE fans and west coast Pac-12 fans probably wouldn't bother with early/late games of other teams. 

On balance, I suspect the teams and their fans would like it, but ratings might make it a tough sell.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 10:09:11 AM »
Is 9:00 really that late though? I think its pretty early.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 10:09:34 AM »
I agree with those who would take this in a heartbeat...but suspect the ratings impact of the 3-hour time zone difference would be substantial.

Most hard-core fans would have no problem watching their team playing early or late - I'd certainly stay up for a 9:00 or 10:00 MU@Pac-12 game, and I suspect hard-core UCLA fans would figure out how to watch their team play an early game against us, Nova, GTown, etc.  But many "casual" fans might not watch even their own teams for really early or late games, and more importantly, east coast BE fans and west coast Pac-12 fans probably wouldn't bother with early/late games of other teams. 

On balance, I suspect the teams and their fans would like it, but ratings might make it a tough sell.

I see what you're saying, but FS1 is going to put something on at those hours, so why not a Villanova-Arizona or Georgetown-UCLA matchup instead of one of those West coast programs versus a cupcake or UFC reruns (which, admittedly, are far cheaper to produce)?
Also, not sure why those games would have to start at 10 p.m. (or later) Eastern. Play the games in Eastern and Central time zones at 7 p.m. Eastern and start the West Coast games at 9 p.m. People on the West Coast are used to prime-time games starting early (5 or 6 p.m., in most cases), so this need not be any different.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 10:15:14 AM »
Could be a nice return to Westwood after Looney transfers back to MU, aina?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2014, 10:16:56 AM »

You'll be out of college someday and understand.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2014, 10:17:25 AM »
The problem with most challenge series is that most fanbases wouldn't really care.  I mean, I can't get all that fired up about beating Oregon to secure the WIN for the Big East.  

That's what makes the ACC v. B10 thing pretty unique.  You are talking about arguably two of the most traditional, and historically significant conferences in the history of college basketball.  There are a lot of crap games each year, but each year also brings a lot of intriguing match ups.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2014, 10:20:00 AM »
I am looking forward to the Gavitt Challenge next year with the Big 10.  I believe I heard on TV that MU will have a home game next season.  So let the guessing begin.  Do they bring in Northwestern (Collins vs Wojo) or do they bring in......Indiana a Crean?

That would be a sell out for sure and a made for TV event.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2014, 10:21:14 AM »
Some downsides like the team number differential and the time zones (3 hours difference in some cases could impact ratings).  But beggars cannot be choosers.  I would take this in a heartbeat.

The PAC-12 and BE are about equal with one another top to bottom.  However, the PAC-12 is much stronger at the top most years.

Really?  I don't know about that.  With Miller at Arizona that gives them the best team between the 2 conferences year in and year out.  In a typical year after that, though, Marquette, Nova, and Georgetown (possibly Creighton?) can be as good as, or better than, Arizona, UCLA, and Utah.  Alford seems to have UCLA going in the right direction but we'll see if that continues.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2014, 10:45:49 AM »
The problem with most challenge series is that most fanbases wouldn't really care.  I mean, I can't get all that fired up about beating Oregon to secure the WIN for the Big East.  

Yeah ... but I don't think any of us are looking at this as an opportunity to show Big East dominance over the Pac-12 or anything like that.
It's more about having another chance to play a solid (hopefully) major conference opponent in a nationally televised game. I mean, I didn't care much about who won the old SEC-Big East challenge, but it was fun to have games against ranked Tennessee (2008) and Florida (2012) because of it.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 10:49:10 AM by Pakuni »

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2014, 10:50:40 AM »

That's what makes the ACC v. B10 thing pretty unique.  You are talking about arguably two of the most traditional, and historically significant conferences in the history of college basketball.  There are a lot of crap games each year, but each year also brings a lot of intriguing match ups.

To be honest, this is why I'd like to see it--give the two conferences and teams some exposure outside their areas.

Will it be the same as ACC/B10?  No, but what would?  Other than facing off against both those conferences (arguably the two best now, in terms of overall depth, which is probably the most important consideration for this sort of event), I think Pac12 is a decent option.  

There will be a few marquee matchups that could come out each year that could be really exciting: Arizona, UCLA.  Colorado and Utah are both on the rise and could be intriguing matchups.  We've had a couple good games against Washington in the last decade that would at least gives some recent history, plus the recent home-and-home against ASU.  That's six possibilities that all seem to have merit, without mentioning national schools like USC and Stanford.  Sure, a trip to Corvallis might not be exciting, but likely we'd be matched up against one of the more exciting programs anyway.

And, what's the alternative?  B12?  SEC?  They also both have their fair share of bad programs that wouldn't be exciting for the fan base.  We can all pick teams out of various conferences we wouldn't get fired up about--who wants to go play Texas Tech?  TCU?  South Carolina?  Auburn?  Etc.  If anything, I'd rather give MU a little bit of exposure out West.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2014, 11:14:44 AM »
I am looking forward to the Gavitt Challenge next year with the Big 10.  I believe I heard on TV that MU will have a home game next season.  So let the guessing begin.  Do they bring in Northwestern (Collins vs Wojo) or do they bring in......Indiana a Crean?

That's assuming Crean survives the season
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2014, 11:30:42 AM »
You'll be out of college someday and understand.

Yep.  And it isn't necessarily the 9:00...it's the 11:00 when the game ends.  That seems a lot later than it did in college when you've got a full time job, kids to get to school and then shuttle around, etc.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2014, 11:33:55 AM »
I see what you're saying, but FS1 is going to put something on at those hours, so why not a Villanova-Arizona or Georgetown-UCLA matchup instead of one of those West coast programs versus a cupcake or UFC reruns (which, admittedly, are far cheaper to produce)?

I think you answered your own question.  It's the same reason we are seeing more and more reality TV.

Tommy Brice for Coach

• Team Captain
  • Tommy Brice is my hero
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2014, 04:48:51 PM »
who wants to go play Texas Tech?  

I'm offended! We hung a banner once for beating them in the CBE classic!

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2014, 05:12:15 PM »

I have no idea how UFC does ratings-wise, but as long as you aren't going head-to-head with the Big 10/ACC, a challenge series would probably do decent for them. At the end of the day, both of these leagues are going to be playing games. Marquette is already playing ASU this year. DePaul is playing Oregon State. Everyone in the league is getting home-and-homes, all this does is put some organization to them and allow FS1 to market the games in a batch rather than individually.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2014, 01:16:15 PM »
I have no idea how UFC does ratings-wise, but as long as you aren't going head-to-head with the Big 10/ACC, a challenge series would probably do decent for them. At the end of the day, both of these leagues are going to be playing games. Marquette is already playing ASU this year. DePaul is playing Oregon State. Everyone in the league is getting home-and-homes, all this does is put some organization to them and allow FS1 to market the games in a batch rather than individually.

The more alignments with have with the stronger conferences the better.

State Street Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2014, 04:21:54 PM »
If time is such a big issue why not have it be an all day marathon on a Saturday after the college football conference championship weekend? Only drawback may be that students would likely be gone for a number of schools. Put a marquee game on fox, start the games at noon eastern and run 6 or so in a row on fs1 and 3 less stellar match ups on fs2 or local fox sports and online?

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2014, 07:19:49 PM »

Yup! When you get to be my age you'll understand....but for an MU game I'll tough it out.