'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Amazing Story on Army Basketball Captain  (Read 8756 times)

GGGG

• All American
Amazing Story on Army Basketball Captain
« on: November 11, 2014, 08:43:42 PM »
A black, "crack baby," adopted by two gay, white men.  He's now the senior captain of the Army basketball team.

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2014/11/11/max-lenox-army-basketball

Tommy Brice for Coach

• Team Captain
  • Tommy Brice is my hero
Re: Amazing Story on Army Basketball Captain
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 10:40:29 PM »
Great article. Thanks for sharing

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 10:43:31 PM »
Great story. Really underscores the capricious nature of fate. And certainly devastates a number of absurd conventions on race, gender, and sexuality.

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 11:33:10 PM »
Key sentence

"But she gave this baby a chance -- albeit slim -- when she put him up for adoption the day after his birth"

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 08:12:05 AM »
Key sentence

"But she gave this baby a chance -- albeit slim -- when she put him up for adoption the day after his birth"

How many people need to tell you you suck for hijacking making things about politics before you realize it?
Maigh Eo for Sam

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 08:17:47 AM »
How many people need to tell you you suck for hijacking making things about politics before you realize it?

How is what he posted political?

Saying that a kid has a better chance if he is raised by someone other than his crack addict mom is some sort of political statement?
Have some patience, FFS.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 08:22:29 AM »

Saying that a kid has a better chance if he is raised by someone other than his crack addict mom is some sort of political statement?

The implication of at least given a chance was a shot at the pro choice movement. That screams chicos.
Maigh Eo for Sam

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 08:28:19 AM »
The implication of at least given a chance was a shot at the pro choice movement. That screams chicos.

I think you are just looking for a fight.
Have some patience, FFS.

JoeSmith1721

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 08:29:52 AM »

No, Chicos is.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2014, 08:30:52 AM »

As much as thats generally true i disagree.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2014, 08:34:04 AM »
Superbar.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2014, 08:34:17 AM »
No one was debating her right to choose.

Her choice to continue the pregnancy allowed for this young man to positively impact the lives of his adopted family, teammates, and friends. She should be applauded for that, as should the couple that took him in.

End of story.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2014, 09:09:43 AM »

I'd write that you're not that naive but I'm not sure you aren't.

Otherwise, it was a very nice story.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2014, 09:26:56 AM »

Just wow

Now quoting a sentence in a story published in a thread is off limits, despite that sentence being the most important in the entire story as the story does not exist without it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2014, 09:28:58 AM »
No one was debating her right to choose.

Her choice to continue the pregnancy allowed for this young man to positively impact the lives of his adopted family, teammates, and friends. She should be applauded for that, as should the couple that took him in.

End of story.

Someone gets it....thank you.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2014, 09:30:35 AM »

Agreed.  What Chicos said had nothing to do with politics.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2014, 10:05:07 AM »
Agreed.  What Chicos said had nothing to do with politics.

Agreed.

To be fair, Chicos does post a decent amount touching political items. 

However, it seems like several people really try to reach to find something wrong with every one of his posts, whether there is something in there or not. 

This is a great story.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2014, 10:12:16 AM »
Agreed.

To be fair, Chicos does post a decent amount touching political items. 

However, it seems like several people really try to reach to find something wrong with every one of his posts, whether there is something in there or not. 

This is a great story.

Without question, Chicos' posts are met with intense scrutiny.  On the other hand, as a poster, Chicos seems to be unique in this regard.  IMHO, if Chicos could refrain from defending himself long enough to reflect on why that is, the problem would resolve itself.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2014, 10:58:43 AM »
Key sentence

Like in any odds defying happy ending story there are no shortage of twists and turns that make it possible. Her choice to have the baby and give it up were essential, but the real heroes here are the young man and his adoptive parents.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2014, 12:52:09 PM »

I didn't interpret his comment that way in the least.  I interpreted it that his life would have very likely been much worse had she decided not to put him up for adoption.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2014, 12:54:10 PM »
Like in any odds defying happy ending story there are no shortage of twists and turns that make it possible. Her choice to have the baby and give it up were essential, but the real heroes here are the young man and his adoptive parents.

Agree...I commend and applaud all involved.  My point was for the latter heroes to exist, a decision to keep the child and give him up for adoption was the key.  Good for her, she was able to make this decision that has benefited so many.  Nice story.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2014, 12:55:07 PM »
Without question, Chicos' posts are met with intense scrutiny.  On the other hand, as a poster, Chicos seems to be unique in this regard.  IMHO, if Chicos could refrain from defending himself long enough to reflect on why that is, the problem would resolve itself.

Seems it takes at least two to tango, but I'm trying to do my part.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2014, 05:36:32 PM »
Some things in there that would make for an interesting book.   I am talking about the AAU machinations.   Also interesting to learn that some of the basketball factory prep school military academies do build character and help young men who may not be ready, to grow up and mature.   Any story that shows examples of young people who are going to be positive influences going forward is a good thing. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2014, 09:37:10 PM »
Just wow

Now quoting a sentence in a story published in a thread is off limits, despite that sentence being the most important in the entire story as the story does not exist without it.

The story also doesn't exist if his crackhead mom doesn't hook-up with some random dude likely in exchange for drugs or money... clearly a great and powerful choice she made.

Oh, and her choice to continue her first pregnancy ultimately resulted in her getting burned alive in her own home.  Was that a good choice?

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2014, 11:14:33 PM »

You turned the discussion about a powerful story into a rant that exists in your head. chill out and think before you type.
Better yet , keep your delusions to yourself

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2014, 11:24:37 PM »
  You turned the discussion about a powerful story into a rant that exists in your head. chill out and think before you type.

back off.  After the personal messages that I've received from Chicos I'm always going to assume his holier than thou attitude trying to politicize everything and that he's trying to make certain people who aren't living up to his perfect standard feel like sh!t. Maybe you shouldn't step in without knowing everything. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2014, 11:34:43 PM »

I hate that too.

But you can always

<----- IGNORE

him/her.
SS Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2014, 12:49:03 AM »
back off.  After the personal messages that I've received from Chicos I'm always going to assume his holier than thou attitude trying to politicize everything and that he's trying to make certain people who aren't living up to his perfect standard feel like sh!t. Maybe you shouldn't step in without knowing everything. 

We've had some fun two way PM's where we have acknowledged each other's positions on things, even if we disagree.  When you assume something.....well....you know the saying. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2014, 12:53:48 AM »
The story also doesn't exist if his crackhead mom doesn't hook-up with some random dude likely in exchange for drugs or money... clearly a great and powerful choice she made.

Oh, and her choice to continue her first pregnancy ultimately resulted in her getting burned alive in her own home.  Was that a good choice?

As stated, she has made some poor choices and there are no guarantees in life.  People can make great choices and be hurt, poor choices and be lucky.  In the end, seems the odds eventually catch up, but who knows.  Seems after a life of many poor choices, she made one for whatever reason that turned out positive for a number of people.  Good for her.  It seems to me many of her other choices and the impacts of them involved other adults who also made choices.  In this particular example, she made a choice for someone that couldn't. It was all on her.  I'm glad she did. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2014, 12:56:10 AM »
We've had some fun two way PM's where we have acknowledged each other's positions on things, even if we disagree.  When you assume something.....well....you know the saying.  

Nm
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 07:14:49 AM by BagpipingBoxer »
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2014, 05:29:30 AM »

So after you call Chicos out in this thread, you get all pissy when someone does it to you? 

wildbill sb

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2014, 07:01:15 AM »
Can't we all just get along?
“I’m working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect.”  - Doug Sanders, professional golfer

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2014, 07:13:55 AM »
Wow I was in a bad mood yesterday. Great story, very touching. My bad for venting on here.
Maigh Eo for Sam

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2014, 09:24:57 AM »
I hate that too.

But you can always

<----- IGNORE

him/her.

#donedeal
I usually don't get so feisty but I was test driving a new bottle of port and kept it out of the garage longer than intended. That said I usually enjoy the discourse here but it seems some think they can win their stripes by attacking CBB. Disagreements can be enlightening and entertaining but ad hominem attacks are distasteful here and in politics.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2014, 09:25:50 AM »
Wow I was in a bad mood yesterday. Great story, very touching. My bad for venting on here.

We've all had days like that.   ;D
Have some patience, FFS.

feedback