[Today at 11:12:06 AM]

[Paint Touches] Love in the time of the Portal Kombat by frozena pizza
[Today at 08:33:37 AM]

Welcome Jack Anderson! by Jay Bee
[May 02, 2024, 08:58:35 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Some random observations on Notre Dame game  (Read 8760 times)

Aughnanure

• All American
Re: Some random observations on Notre Dame game
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2013, 11:32:08 PM »
If DG doesn't pick up two stupid fouls in the first, no one is talking about the refs.

And who called those stupid fouls?
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2013, 11:33:06 PM »

The refs...because they were doing their job.  Both were well deserved.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2013, 11:33:23 PM »
Damn right Steve Taylor should play more.

I was watching this game without volume and wondered if Taylor got hurt or something. I usually defend Buzz's subbing and I usually try to get Scoopers to keep things in perspective when it comes to Taylor (who ISN'T the next Mo Lucas). However, I, too, wondered where he was tonight and why Anderson was getting so much PT. Anderson lost Connaughton several times, so it's not as if he was D-ing up wonderfully.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

🏀

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2013, 11:33:33 PM »

The stupid, obvious fouls made by DG? They were correctly called by the officiating crew.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2013, 11:33:51 PM »

Holy crap, dude. You serious with this stuff?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2013, 11:34:59 PM »

The refs...because they were doing their job.  Both were well deserved.

Agreed there, they were both obvious fouls.  Otule's second however was not a foul.  ( I forget what his first was).

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2013, 11:35:42 PM »
Which Scooper got tossed at the game by Driscoll?   ;D

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2013, 11:35:57 PM »
Why didn't the second coming of Maurice Lucas play in the second half?

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2013, 11:36:31 PM »
Couple benefited MU...couple benefited ND....pretty much evened out at the end.

Please. What unfair calls benefited MU? ND got away pushing players inside all night and we got called with every physical play inside...not to mention phantom calls that got them back in the game in 1st half. There was a clear difference in what got called on the inside depending on what color jersey was in the lane.

Want to know why we didn't get inside in the 2nd half when it seemed like we needed to? The answer was clear.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

🏀

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2013, 11:36:38 PM »
Which Scooper got tossed at the game by Driscoll?   ;D

Only keefe could afford tickets like that, just ask him

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2013, 11:37:15 PM »
Holy crap, dude. You serious with this stuff?

You think Davante's second foul was legit? HA!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2013, 11:37:51 PM »
Only keefe could afford tickets like that, just ask him

Don't let BlueManGroup overhear you saying that. He might send daddy after you!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

AirPunches

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2013, 11:37:57 PM »
It's so simple: GUARD THE THREE. some might say it's easier said than done, but honestly, it's not. Connaughtan is never going to shoot inside the arc. Stay put for Christ sake. It's not rocket science. They weren't going to beat you inside the arc.  It's beyond infuriating.  We may be a 5 seed now, but luckily it doesn't really matter.

Very fundamental mistakes too. Right after Jamil's three to make it 62-57, ND sets a screen at the top of the key and Counaughton flares to the right wing and Juan goes under the screen. Why would he do that? Why was Juan even covering him in the first place? Just bad all around..I expected more from Buzz tonight. He even said last night when they interviewed him the Counaughton was going to be one of their focuses.

Some of his threes were due to a lack of boxing out and not getting the defensive rebound though. Those are the real killers.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2013, 11:38:18 PM »
Why didn't the second coming of Maurice Lucas play in the second half?

Maurice Lucas? Really?

Come on...aren't you giving Maurice too much credit with that comparison?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2013, 11:39:06 PM »

Yeah, you can't plow over a guy guarding you.  Both refs called it immediately and the announcers agreed with it.

That's enough of this nonsense.  I need to get to bed.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2013, 11:41:44 PM »

Not even a question. Gonna be called every time.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2013, 11:43:18 PM »

Yeah, you can't plow over a guy guarding you.  Both refs called it immediately and the announcers agreed with it.

That's enough of this nonsense.  I need to get to bed.

Don't bring the announcers into this. He put his butt out and Cooley fell on the floor "like" he got plowed. But he didn't. He's just skinny and weak and the refs weren't letting Davante use his weight and size to dominate - which is fair.  I never really even understood what happened w/ his 3rd foul that half? We were on offense and suddenly they just called something on him.

Be consistent refs. Which they never are and they should not get away with it as much as we let them.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2013, 11:45:59 PM »
Taylor needs to play more. Take some mins from Lockett and Mayo and go big if you have to. He would have helped on the glass in the second half.

On the refs: You can't look at a foul count to judge consistency. It was called even, foul wise. But what constituted a foul changed in the second half, with about 8 minutes left. The game had a great flow, and the refs took over with three fouls in 20 seconds. That crap drives me nuts. It's tough to adjust to them 30+ minutes into the game.

Either let them play rugby, or call it tight. Going back and forth is a joke, and kills the game.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2013, 11:47:04 PM »
Taylor needs to play more. Take some mins from Lockett and Mayo and go big if you have to. He would have helped on the glass in the second half.

On the refs: You can't look at a foul count to judge consistency. It was called even, foul wise. But what constituted a foul changed in the second half, with about 8 minutes left. The game had a great flow, and the refs took over with three fouls in 20 seconds. That crap drives me nuts. It's tough to adjust to them 30+ minutes into the game.

Either let them play rugby, or call it tight. Going back and forth is a joke, and kills the game.

God. Please.

And agree on the refs. They change their rules constantly and never get called for it. It allowed ND to shut us down late second half and skewed with rhythm in the second. They have a considerable impact in every single game we play. The worst way to judge  reffing is by fouls count....cause its all about the fouls they don;t call - this is how KU fans trick themselves into believing they don't receive a unbalanced amount of beneficial calls.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 11:51:08 PM by Aughnanure »

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2013, 11:51:46 PM »
Connaughton was 6-10 from the field with all 6-10 from the perimeter.  And he was guarded on how many of those 10?  It ain't rocket science.  

#FreeSteveTaylor

This.  I was at the game, and I just couldn't believe how the team didn't mark Connaughton at all. Mayo seemed to his man, but nobody was close most of the time. It was frustrating.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2013, 11:55:32 PM »
That call on Vander in the 2nd blew my mind. How can you not call contact under the boards but call that?

Then the travel on Sherman. They showed the replay twice. Both times you can see he picked up the pivot.

MU didn't go inside as much as they wanted. That was part of the problem, no doubt.
SS Marquette

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2013, 12:06:42 AM »

::)

Yeah, and Notre Dame couldn't complain about any calls either.  Seriously, take off your blue and gold glasses for once.

::)  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)

You're right, many have blue and gold glasses here when it comes to the refs. You wear black and white striped ones. The ones who always complain after a loss about the refs are usually wrong. You, who always defend them are less often, but nonetheless sometimes, wrong.

seakm4

• Team Captain
« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2013, 01:10:19 AM »
I was working so I caught the game in glimpses so I can't complain about the officials, but we seemed satisfied in not slitting their throats Jae Crowder style in the first half and they chipped away and once we lost the lead we went flat.  Nobody to blame, but ourselves.  I'll suffer through it and watch it again tomorrow to see what I really missed.  We are all just hurting because we hate going down to the South Bend Scum Sucking Sphincters (trademark pending)

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2013, 06:23:46 AM »
Anyone who thinks the refs were the main reason for this loss is  kidding themselves. Love this squad and what they've been able to accomplish, but this team has some shortcomings.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2013, 06:46:58 AM »
Agree on all but one point.  I thought Lockett played decently.  He was all over the offensive glass at least.

What????
I thought that was the worst game Lockett had as a Warrior. Haven't seen his stat line yet, but his play was brutal.