[Today at 11:12:06 AM]

[Paint Touches] Love in the time of the Portal Kombat by frozena pizza
[Today at 08:33:37 AM]

Welcome Jack Anderson! by Jay Bee
[May 02, 2024, 08:58:35 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: I miss DWade  (Read 8751 times)

Wade for President

• All American
I miss DWade
« on: June 13, 2012, 08:31:03 AM »
Dwyane Wade is my guy.  He's atop my Mt. Rushmore of sports heroes.  He is the single reason why I became such a big Heat fan on that fateful NBA draft night back in 2003.  My basement is a virtual shrine to #3.  It includes everything from framed signed jerseys/shoes/basketballs, to magazines, to an obscure set of Vietnamese DWade playing cards (yes, you read that correctly), to the press pass/picture from when I infamously posed as a member of the media at Wade's basketball camp, to an autographed bowling pin he gave me after we shared a lane together during a Wade's World charity event.  Yes...as my wife says, I have a man crush on the MU star.

My idolization of Wade has never waivered...until this season.  I don't know if it's injuries, his reckless play taking its toll, or the addition of (and now self-admitted deferral to) LeBron, but something has changed. 

I was at the Fieldhouse in Indianapolis for his 5 point Playoff stinker.  What I saw that night was similar to what we've seen a lot from Dwyane the past six weeks - tentativeness, lack of confidence, constant whining to the refs, etc.

CBS Sports' Gregg Doyel took a rather aggressive stance against DWade in his post game article last night.  I painfully have to admit, some of his comments aren't too far off.

http://www.cbssports.com/columns/story/19342488/winning-wade-has-turned-into-whining-wade;-heat-are-paying-price

What do you think is the reason for Wade's ineffective play?  Without Wade stepping up, this is sadly going to be a quick series.

NersEllenson

• All American
Re: I miss DWade
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 09:13:12 AM »
I feel D-Wade's body is starting to fail him -  the Russell Westbrook type of athleticism he once had, is no longer.  Wade played with such athletic aggression, and has had his share of knee problems, etc., that he's just not as explosive as he once was - to where he could get anywhere on the court that he wanted.  D-Wade is still very good - but he's going to have to really reinvent himself as a great shooter - if he wants to have a solid 3-5 years left in the league.

Lastly, OKC is a long, athletic, team that can give a lot of players fits.  It isn't too often (still) where when Wade steps on the court, he isn't the most athletic guy - in this series, Westbrook, Harden, Durant and LeBron are arguably all more athletic than D-Wade...and longer.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 09:24:38 AM »
I feel D-Wade's body is starting to fail him -  the Russell Westbrook type of athleticism he once had, is no longer.  Wade played with such athletic aggression, and has had his share of knee problems, etc., that he's just not as explosive as he once was - to where he could get anywhere on the court that he wanted.  D-Wade is still very good - but he's going to have to really reinvent himself as a great shooter - if he wants to have a solid 3-5 years left in the league.

Lastly, OKC is a long, athletic, team that can give a lot of players fits.  It isn't too often (still) where when Wade steps on the court, he isn't the most athletic guy - in this series, Westbrook, Harden, Durant and LeBron are arguably all more athletic than D-Wade...and longer.

I think a lot of younger players have learned their lesson from the way that Wade has sort of broken down.  You see ice everywhere and body armor on everyone now.  Wade was great because he played with reckless abandon.  But you are exactly right, it has taken a major toll on his body.

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 09:51:50 AM »
I agree that Wade's body has taken a beating over the past 8 years, but it's his body language that suggests something is off....I mean, waaaaaaay off.  Those final three games in the Pacers series were vintage DWade.  I refuse to believe that that was his last glimpse of greatness.

Is it ironic that during the game that aired an interview with DWade stating that it was difficult for him to come to the realization that he needed to hand the keys to the car to LeBron?

I hope Wade can get it together.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 10:05:38 AM »
He's hurt, he's getting older and he's frustrated. Imagine being incredibly good at your job (whatever it may be) for 6, 8, 10 years and then gradually becoming less effective and having to exert more energy than normal to do the tasks that you used to do with relative ease. All the while, watching younger and younger co-workers pass you by and do things that you can no longer do. I have a feeling that we'd all be pretty frustrated in that scenario.

The big question is where does he go from here? Does he keep trying to get by on his athleticism that (while still incredible) is not what it used to be? Or does he "re-invent" himself as more of a crafty Paul Pierce type?

jeffreyweee

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 10:15:52 AM »
I wasn't part of the MU family until 08 so I didn't pay as much to Wade until the 06 playoffs. During those finals he became my favorite player in the league. Slowly over the course of the next 6 years he let fame get to him and his aggressiveness deteriorated. He is not one of my least favorite players in the league. I wish I could like him, I really do but starting last year he began to think he was entitled to wins and calls instead of earning them. I hope he or Lebron get traded after they lose to OKC this year and maybe that lights a fire under him again.

His explosiveness is still there - did you see that outrageous block in game 6 of Celtics Heat? It's entirely attitud.e

bdee29

• Walk-On
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 10:27:50 AM »
"On planet Earth, it's up to Dwyane Wade. Start attacking. Stop flopping. Life isn't a sneaker commercial, and even if it were, Wade is no longer the star. But he is a diva"

^THIS

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 10:34:30 AM »
Take off those stupid glasses and play ball..

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 10:46:18 AM »
Buncha haters.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 10:53:57 AM »
I wasn't part of the MU family until 08 so I didn't pay as much to Wade until the 06 playoffs. During those finals he became my favorite player in the league. Slowly over the course of the next 6 years he let fame get to him and his aggressiveness deteriorated. He is not one of my least favorite players in the league. I wish I could like him, I really do but starting last year he began to think he was entitled to wins and calls instead of earning them. I hope he or Lebron get traded after they lose to OKC this year and maybe that lights a fire under him again.

His explosiveness is still there - did you see that outrageous block in game 6 of Celtics Heat? It's entirely attitud.e

In what way did he "let fame get to him?" Please provide examples.

Every single star player and even a lot of average players whine to the officials and want every call. Do they all think they're entitled? Yes, they do. Wade's complaining is magnified because he's currently playing on the NBA's biggest stage for the NBA's most-watched/most-hated team.

You also claim that his "aggressiveness deteriorated." However, if you look at his jumpers compared to "inside" shots, the distribution is pretty consistent. In fact, his percentage of jumpers decreased slightly straight 3 seasons.

07-08: 65% jumpers, 35% inside
08-09: 66% jumpers, 34% inside
09-10: 63% jumpers, 37% inside
10-11: 61% jumpers, 39% inside
11-12: 62% jumpers, 38% inside

His explosiveness is still there but not as consistently. He needs to pick his spots. Last night, he appeared to have a chance to block a Derek Fisher lay-up but couldn't gather himself to get off the ground in time. A couple years ago, there's no way Fish even tries to challenge Wade.

Listen, you're entitled to have your opinions but at least have informed ones.

jeffreyweee

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 12:39:44 PM »
Yikes your argument is so backward. If you think D Wade complains to the refs an "average" amount then PLEASE watch any Bull's vs Heat or Thunder vs Heat game.

Compare Durant, Westbrook, Harden, Rose and Deng to Wade and tell me they are the same.

Then watch Wade in the 06 finals and tell me 06 Wade = 12 Wade.

Then tell me how you can be just as aggressive while at the same time not being able to challenge D. Fisher for a lay up. If he can't challenge a PG at the rim his aggressiveness has deteriorated whether by being a little bitch (my opinion) or physically not being able to (your opinion).

Why is it you think than there are several articles coming out questioning Wade calling him a complainer? Why do you think Rondo said they were able to get easy transition baskets while they complained to the refs? Is it a conspiracy against Marquette, or is Wade being a little girl?

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 12:50:09 PM »
I expect Wade to have a big Game 2.  He's responded well when the weight of the world is on him. 

Maybe he needs Crean to pay him a visit.

All I know, is that I can't WAIT for Thursday night.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 12:54:07 PM »
Yikes your argument is so backward. If you think D Wade complains to the refs an "average" amount then PLEASE watch any Bull's vs Heat or Thunder vs Heat game.

Compare Durant, Westbrook, Harden, Rose and Deng to Wade and tell me they are the same.

Then tell me how you can be just as aggressive while at the same time not being able to challenge D. Fisher for a lay up. If he can't challenge a PG at the rim his aggressiveness has deteriorated whether by being a little bitch (my opinion) or physically not being able to (your opinion).

Why is it you think than there are several articles coming out questioning Wade calling him a complainer? Why do you think Rondo said they were able to get easy transition baskets while they complained to the refs? Is it a conspiracy against Marquette, or is Wade being a little girl?

You never provided any examples of how he let fame get to him.

I never said that Wade complained an "average" amount.

The Fisher play that I was referring to was on a runout where Wade was along side of him and looked, to me, like he couldn't gather and go up to attempt a block - I believe JVG even mentioned something to that same effect. It had nothing to do with a lack of aggressiveness or "being a little bitch."

As I stated previously: Wade's complaining is magnified because he's currently playing on the NBA's biggest stage for the NBA's most-watched/most-hated team.

Clearly you jumped on the Wade bandwagon as a high school aged front-runner but are now jumping off since it's cool to dislike the Heat.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 12:57:18 PM »

You' have no clue. MM gave a stat to show his aggressiveness has not deteriorated (or you could look at the fact that he average the most blocks in his career this year) but you want to use some anecdotal story about 1 play instead. Did you see him block Westbrook's drive last night?

Wade had the 3rd highest win shares per 48 minutes of his career this season. He's still a very good player. In my opinion, I think he's a little more hurt than he's letting on and that's been affecting him somewhat. However, I can guarantee he'll still have some monster games in this series. I also think that anybody who rags on DW after all he's done for MU basketball (the most influential person since AL retired) is an idiot.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 01:00:01 PM »
The D Wade we all know and love is probably gone for good. He may be "only" 30...but he is an old 30. His body has been through a lot and he's showing serious wear and tear. All those drives to the hoop and the relentless pounding he's taken over the years have caught up with him. He'll still be extremely good—but he may no longer be an elite superstar. He's clearly the fourth best player on the court in these Finals. He also appears to have lost his mental edge. Doesn't appear focused and determined anymore.  

It happens to all players...some sooner than others.

MU86NC

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2012, 01:05:07 PM »
Give the guy a chance.  They played on the road to a very good Thunder team.  Let's see where this series goes before we let some sports writer determine Wades fate....

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2012, 01:27:00 PM »
Wade had about 4 blocks last night... The sole reason for him not challenging Derek Fisher on that play (and vice versa) was Wade already had 2 fouls and would have had to go to the bench with 3 fouls with nearly 8 minutes remaining in the 2nd quarter.  He's definitely trying, but I agree it's not up to his and other peoples lofty standards of him. His PER is still very high though.

Definitely something off with his knees as his jumper is failing him too... He's usually fairly automatic with those 15-18 footers, but couldn't hit anything last night and it's been spotty throughout the playoffs. He shot 7-19 with about 5 wide open (for him) misses. He hits 3 of those and he's got 25pts and we're talking about something else.  

I don't know where all the sudden hate is coming from like he's doing something bad though. People are acting like he should just put his head down and try to dribble through people and because he doesn't do that, he's not focused. He's trying, but he just doesn't fully have it. He's not shaking his man in one dribble anymore. The complaining was over the top, but he's toned down the complaining since game 5 vs the Celtics. I'm hoping he will find some youth in his knees soon. We're moving on to a new era at MU where it's not as important, but having Wade relevant is still a bonus. 

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2012, 02:10:00 PM »
He's forcing himself to doing everything and anything he can.

His supporting staff sucks (outside Bron and bosh) and he never got into a groove with his injuries in a shortened year which had a late start and few days of rest (back-back and back-back-back games).

Next year will be different.
SS Marquette

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2012, 02:16:44 PM »
He's forcing himself to doing everything and anything he can.

His supporting staff sucks (outside Bron and bosh)

So, other than one guy who's the league's best player and another who's a seven-time all-star, he's got nothing to work with.
Poor guy.

Bit like saying, "other than Jordan and Pippen, BJ Armstrong's supporting cast sucks."

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2012, 02:33:41 PM »
So, other than one guy who's the league's best player and another who's a seven-time all-star, he's got nothing to work with.
Poor guy.

Bit like saying, "other than Jordan and Pippen, BJ Armstrong's supporting cast sucks."

Bosh, in his current state (i.e. coming off an injury) is not the same player who was a 7-time All-Star.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2012, 02:43:27 PM »
Bosh, in his current state (i.e. coming off an injury) is not the same player who was a 7-time All-Star.

Was that the excuse last year too?
Look, if Dirk Nowitzki could lead the Mavs and that supporting cast (DeShawn Stevenson? A 37-year-old point guard?) to a title, Wade and LeBron have no excuses. That team has plenty of depth to win it all, and still might win it all. And if they don't win it all, it'll be - like last year - because James and/or Wade didn't do enough to win it all, not because their 8th and 9th men weren't good enough.

strotty

• All American
    • Paint Touches
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2012, 02:46:56 PM »
Look, if Dirk Nowitzki could lead the Mavs and that supporting cast (DeShawn Stevenson? A 37-year-old point guard?) to a title, Wade and LeBron have no excuses. That team has plenty of depth to win it all, and still might win it all. And if they don't win it all, it'll be - like last year - because James and/or Wade didn't do enough to win it all, not because their 8th and 9th men weren't good enough.

What would that "plenty of depth" consist of, I wonder?

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2012, 02:51:58 PM »
What would that "plenty of depth" consist of, I wonder?

Well it ain't a center and a point guard.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2012, 02:52:22 PM »
In what way did he "let fame get to him?" Please provide examples.

I don't know if this is what we're talking about about letting fame get to him, (or, were we only giving on-the-court examples)?

Dwyane Wade Turns 30, Has Best Super Sweet 16 Party Ever
http://deadspin.com/5876974/dwyane-wade-turns-30-has-best-super-sweet-16-party-ever

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2012, 03:05:36 PM »

Who gave an excuse? You noted that Bosh was a 7-time All-Star, which is true. You failed to mention that he's coming off an injury that sidelined him for 3 weeks and he's playing at about 70%. That would be like saying the Mavs had a 10-time All-Star running the point for them last year.

Nice that you mentioned Deshawn Stevenson - the Mavs 10th-leading scorer! You know who the Heat's 10th-leading scorer was? Terrel Harris (I don't know either)

What about Terry, Marion, Chandler, Butler and even that 37-year-old PG? Think the Mavs would have traded any of those guys straight up for Udonis Haslem, Mario Chalmers or Shane Battier?

(I can't believe I'm defending the Heat)