'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Brown/Beford SMU  (Read 8763 times)

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
Brown/Beford SMU
« on: April 14, 2012, 07:46:53 AM »
ESPN article this morning has Katz saying that SMU is going to meet Larry Brown in addition to Tony Bedford.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Brown/Beford SMU
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 07:49:10 AM »
Benford is a really good fit for them.  I hope Buzz said as much when they talked to him.

Our last two coaches were assistants promoted.  That is a much better way for a program like SMU than some tired out re-tread like Larry Brown.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 10:20:28 AM by AnotherMU84 »

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 01:07:34 PM »
"I'd like to get back involved in the game in some capacity. Whether that's as a coach, assistant, running a team or just as a resource, I don't care."

If they even think of hiring Brown, based on that comment, it would be one of the stupider hires of recent memory.  Drawing up a few plays and rebuilding a program from scratch seem a little different to me. It sounds like he just wants to feel needed a little. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy you would want mentoring you like a Gene K on the bench either.

That being said, I believe it has been brought up in the past that certain parts of Texas have deep rooted stereotypes against African Americans, does anyone know where SMU lies in that spectrum and if it would be an issue at SMU?

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 01:14:07 PM »
"I'd like to get back involved in the game in some capacity. Whether that's as a coach, assistant, running a team or just as a resource, I don't care."

If they even think of hiring Brown, based on that comment, it would be one of the stupider hires of recent memory.  Drawing up a few plays and rebuilding a program from scratch seem a little different to me. It sounds like he just wants to feel needed a little. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy you would want mentoring you like a Gene K on the bench either.

That being said, I believe it has been brought up in the past that certain parts of Texas have deep rooted stereotypes against African Americans, does anyone know where SMU lies in that spectrum and if it would be an issue at SMU?

They loved Eric Dickerson.
SS Marquette

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 01:50:47 PM »
Benford is a really good fit for them.  I hope Buzz said as much when they talked to him.

Our last two coaches were assistants promoted.  That is a much better way for a program like SMU than some tired out re-tread like Larry Brown.

Good get him some experience so we can bring him back if Buzz leaves.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 04:45:00 PM »
Good get him some experience so we can bring him back if Buzz leaves.

This could also solve the redshirt of Jerrance Howard as an assistant coach problem.  8-)
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 09:38:37 AM »
I can't believe that Steve Orsini didn't even try to negotiate with me on my demands.

http://www.anonymouseagle.com/2012/4/12/2943408/im-available-for-the-smu-job
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

copious1218

• All American

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 05:02:16 PM »
Hide the cheerleaders!

Looks like Jerrance Howard is joing his staff, too

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 09:37:57 PM »
Seems like a good hire by SMU. Locked up Emmanuel Mudiay and eyeing Myles Turner. If the then 74-year-old Brown can lead them to a final four, it has to be one of the most impressive turn arounds in college basketball history.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 10:24:46 PM »
Seems like a good hire by SMU. Locked up Emmanuel Mudiay and eyeing Myles Turner. If the then 74-year-old Brown can lead them to a final four, it has to be one of the most impressive turn arounds in college basketball history.

That's one way of looking at it, I suppose.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 10:35:34 PM »
That's one way of looking at it, I suppose.

This statement is vague and intriguing.  Any implications to it.  It is quite surprising how successful they have been with recruiting so far.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2013, 10:47:27 PM »

Larry Brown will probably be dead before his title is vacated.  What does he have to lose?

chapman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 07:25:14 AM »
It's already been over a year.  Brown has to be getting restless coaching in the same place for so long.  Will probably quit before the end of the season.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 08:58:58 AM »
This statement is vague and intriguing.  Any implications to it.  It is quite surprising how successful they have been with recruiting so far.

I would be very surprised given Brown's and SMU's history that their recruiting is above board.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2013, 09:13:27 AM »

I would be very surprised given Brown's and SMU's history that their recruiting is above board.
Mudiay is from Dallas and SMU gave his Juco brother a scholie.  Along with the chance to play for Brown, that could be enough to sway Mudiay.  Still..........

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2013, 11:44:51 AM »
Brown practically invented dirty recruiting at Kansas. Ok well I guess John Wooden really invented it, but Brown was definitely a trailblazer in that field.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2013, 02:13:38 PM »
Mudiay is from Dallas and SMU gave his Juco brother a scholie.  Along with the chance to play for Brown, that could be enough to sway Mudiay.  Still..........

So basically, the under-the-table package starts with "we'll give your brother, who should probably be a DII player, a full DI scholarship." I would be absolutely floored if it ended there. Brown at SMU is the recruiting equivalent of throwing the Pigpen character from Peanuts into an open sewer hole. Does anyone really believe that combination would come out clean?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback