'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Butler Defending Wade!  (Read 8742 times)

MUBurrow

• All American
Re: Butler Defending Wade!
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2012, 02:35:48 PM »
Despite how regionally weird this has gotten it seems there's a lot of room for agreement here in that its perfectly fine to boo any rival, but kind of weak to boo someone based on a perceived personality thing because a player didnt sign with your team. I'd guess that most people that boo Wade boo for the first reason, not the latter.

The only thing that bodes ill for Chicago in this debate is the treatment of Chelios a couple of years ago. That was unnatural carnal knowledgeed up.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2012, 02:45:15 PM »
Despite how regionally weird this has gotten it seems there's a lot of room for agreement here in that its perfectly fine to boo any rival, but kind of weak to boo someone based on a perceived personality thing because a player didnt sign with your team. I'd guess that most people that boo Wade boo for the first reason, not the latter.

The only thing that bodes ill for Chicago in this debate is the treatment of Chelios a couple of years ago. That was fracked up.

Agreed, Chelios gave a lot of his best years to the Blackhawks.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2012, 02:50:26 PM »

Did LBJ received significant booing prior to "the decision?"  I don't recall that being the case.

No, he really didn't.  The decision + the celebration + not 1, not 2... + 'Heat Index' + probably tampering = villains pretty much everywhere they go.

People on this board tend to act like this a chicago thing.  Those folks get booed all over the place.  You don't remember the entire 'Lebron embraces villain role' story line?  

It's a rivalry.  I don't understand why anyone would twist it into a negative statement about chicago fans.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2012, 02:57:49 PM »
Didn't Bucks fans boo Gary Payton everytime he came back to Milwaukee????

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2012, 02:58:44 PM »

Sad, I completely agree.  

I'd guess those 'fans' are people who grew up elsewhere and moved to the city, in the last 6 years, at age 22. There are a ton of those.  It happens in big cities in the years after a championship.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2012, 03:00:59 PM »

Chelios got booed because, as a Blackhawk, he told anyone and everyone he would never play for the Red Wings. He then waived his no-trade clause to play for the Red Wings. Probably forgivable ultimately in most fans' eyes.
But what was less forgivable was that when Chelios was named to the Hawks' 75th anniversary team, he refused to put on the Indian Head for the team photo. Instead, he wore a Wings' sweater.
A Red Wings sweater. In the Hawks 75th Anniversary team photo.
That's why he got booed. He's a jackass.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 03:03:04 PM by Pakuni »

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2012, 03:07:44 PM »
Chelios got booed because, as a Blackhawk, he told anyone and everyone he would never play for the Red Wings. He then waived his no-trade clause to play for the Red Wings. Probably forgivable ultimately in most fans' eyes.
But what was less forgivable was that when Chelios was named to the Hawks' 75th anniversary team, he refused to put on the Indian Head for the team photo. Instead, he wore a Wings' sweater.
That's why he got booed.

Chris was working for the Red Wing's front office at the time.  It would have been unforgivable for him to go sporting Blackhawks gear while working in Detroit.

I think he should have worn something red that was neutral Blackhawks/Wings instead of Red Wings gear, but the guy was put into a pretty tough situation with regards to who he was working for during the celebration.

I think the real reason that Cheli got booed is because he went to play for a rival with no regards to other circumstances (you know he was getting booed before the sweater incident).  It's hard for fans to separate fandom and the business of sports.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2012, 03:45:48 PM »

It's a rivalry.  I don't understand why anyone would twist it into a negative statement about chicago fans.

Go back and reread the thread, dude. People were referring specifically to Dwyane's actions from the summer as a reason to dislike him. That is unique to chicago fans.

I hate to say it, but I don't think many people really think of Wade as a Chicagoan. Plus, he rubbed people the wrong way by pretending to entertain thoughts of signing with the Bulls.

People in Chicago tend to think of him as hometown product. I don't know how most of the country thinks of him, but then again I don't think most people know where NBA players are originally from. The whole Big 3 thing did rub me the wrong way.

This is exactly it.  Bulls fans seem to think that Wade was going to come to Chicago and bring Lebron with him and Rose, Wade, and Lebron would be the "Big 3".  There was very serious discussion about this happening, and then he resigned with the Heat and the rest is history.

Bulls fans were stupid because they believed Wade was being sincere when he expressed an interest in signing with the team? When he made the Bulls the first team he visited in free agency? And then met with them again less than 48 hours later?
Ummm ... OK.  Silly fans.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2012, 05:05:33 PM »
Go back and reread the thread, dude. People were referring specifically to Dwyane's actions from the summer as a reason to dislike him. That is unique to chicago fans.

I know.  It is a reason, one that is low on the list of reasons why they boo him.  In my post i said that it wasn't the 'biggest' reason.  It's not 'weak' or 'stupid' it's what fans do.  He's a villain and that is included in a laundry list of reasons they boo him. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2012, 05:28:20 PM »
Chris was working for the Red Wing's front office at the time.  It would have been unforgivable for him to go sporting Blackhawks gear while working in Detroit.

I think he should have worn something red that was neutral Blackhawks/Wings instead of Red Wings gear, but the guy was put into a pretty tough situation with regards to who he was working for during the celebration.

I think the real reason that Cheli got booed is because he went to play for a rival with no regards to other circumstances (you know he was getting booed before the sweater incident).  It's hard for fans to separate fandom and the business of sports.

Doug Wilson was in the Sharks' front office when the photo was taken, yet managed to put on the Hawks sweater.
Mike Keenan was coaching the Florida Panthers, yet managed to put on the Hawks sweater.

Plenty of guys have left Chicago play for other teams and still are treated like heroes (Roenick, for example, or anyone from the '85 Bears, or even Scottie Pippen), so it's not a Chicago thing or even a fan thing. It's because Chelios was a jackass.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2012, 05:48:06 PM »
Are you from wisconsin?  I'm so sick of you weak little hypocrites.  Like you wouldn't boo someone who you thought spurred your team and plays for your arch-rival.  WTF is wrong with that?
He and lebron both had a chance to come to chicago, neither did, they beat the bulls last year, now they get boo'ed.  What are fans supposed to do?  Golf clap for him every time he touches the ball?

You're just another guy who shows off his inferiority complex at every opportunity.  Seriously.

"spurned", not spurred.  Otherwise, nice little rant.   ::)
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

Real Chilly Podcast

• Starter
  • whassup marquette whassuuup?
    • Real Chilly Podcast
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2012, 06:17:58 PM »
Doug Wilson was in the Sharks' front office when the photo was taken, yet managed to put on the Hawks sweater.
Mike Keenan was coaching the Florida Panthers, yet managed to put on the Hawks sweater.

Plenty of guys have left Chicago play for other teams and still are treated like heroes (Roenick, for example, or anyone from the '85 Bears, or even Scottie Pippen), so it's not a Chicago thing or even a fan thing. It's because Chelios was a jackass.

no, it's because butthurt Chicago fans can't stand the fact that he had to go elsewhere to win cups

can't blame Cheli for sporting the gear or the team and the city that got him rings
Listen to the Real Chilly Podcast on SoundCloud, iTunes, or Youtube.

Follow our twitter: @RealChillyPod

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2012, 06:23:12 PM »
Didn't Bucks fans boo Gary Payton everytime he came back to Milwaukee????

Anyone???

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2012, 12:54:10 AM »
Anyone???

Is that really a fair comparison?  Wade never played for the Bulls. 

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2012, 07:40:24 AM »
I know.  It is a reason, one that is low on the list of reasons why they boo him.  In my post i said that it wasn't the 'biggest' reason.  It's not 'weak' or 'stupid' it's what fans do.  He's a villain and that is included in a laundry list of reasons they boo him. 

I cannot pretend to know why people are booing Dwyane.

My only point is that if Chicago fans got their feelings hurt because he signed with the Heat, they need to get over it.

We're adults. It's the real world. Dwyane made his choice. He doesn't owe Chicago anything.

JoBo2756

• Team Captain
« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2012, 10:11:31 AM »
Man did you see Jimmy's line in the Portland game??

What about Wes? They played each other last night ya know? Wes had 18 pts.

Just bringing it full circle since the nutjobs pulled this thread in strange directions.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2012, 11:13:41 AM »
MU grad who grew up in Chi and still lives there... nobody here talks about Wade being from here or cares that he is from here. People at a sporting event will look for a reason to boo or cheer anyone.  They go nuts for Scalabrine, but he's not their favorite player... it's just getting into a sporting event.  If you don't live here, you can't make assumptions about what the Chicago fans are feeling about Wade. I've said it before.... I read  and listen to the sports pulse of the city daily, and nobody cares about the Wade situation, much less needs to get over it.
Personally, I love the Bulls and Wade.
More importantly, Murray St must die.

feedback