'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Butler Defending Wade!  (Read 8741 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Butler Defending Wade!
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2012, 11:35:39 AM »
+1000.

You guys are soft. Seriously.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2012, 11:54:58 AM »
Thibs was on ESPN 1000 radio this morning in Chicago and he was questioned specifically about Butler and how his season has gone and how things were for him considering he had now preseason and basically no practice considering the condensed schedule.  Thibs praised his character, saying he was one of the first to arrive and last to leave, had incredible "team spirit" and was never outworked on the floor.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2012, 12:12:12 PM »
Thibs was on ESPN 1000 radio this morning in Chicago and he was questioned specifically about Butler and how his season has gone and how things were for him considering he had now preseason and basically no practice considering the condensed schedule.  Thibs praised his character, saying he was one of the first to arrive and last to leave, had incredible "team spirit" and was never outworked on the floor.

Excellent!  Good buzz (pardon the pun) about the strong Marquette work ethic only helps Jae and Buzz in the NBA draft.
Have some patience, FFS.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2012, 12:29:31 PM »

Well, c'mon. It's pro sports. The guys were free agents. They could go wherever they want. We are all adults. We all knew that.

I understand Bulls fans being disappointed, but to harbor hurt feelings for this long is a bit silly, no? It's not like Dwyane personally came to your house and kicked your dog.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
Re: Bulls fans, JFB, and D. Wade
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2012, 12:30:00 PM »
Talk about hindsight being 20/20.  I'm pretty sure that during that entire summer no one really knew what was going to happen.  Looking back at it, it all makes sense, but there were new rumors flying around everyday and no one for sure knew what was going to happen.

And from your logic there are only two scenarios:  Either Wade was truly intersted in playing for the Bulls or Wade is as big of a dbag as Lebron for putting on that whole show.

Seemed pretty known that Wade wasn't going to play for the Bulls. At least it did on the east coast and I'd imagine it was the same for most any region outside of the Chicago Republic. Insiders here always felt he would stay in Miami.

Chicago fans, having lived there for nearly a decade, believe their hometown pull on an athlete is the strongest force in the known world and this can lead to some delusional expectations and subsequent disappointment.

But, hey, in the end whatever it takes to get the dander rising is good for business.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2012, 01:03:23 PM »
Well, c'mon. It's pro sports. The guys were free agents. They could go wherever they want. We are all adults. We all knew that.

I understand Bulls fans being disappointed, but to harbor hurt feelings for this long is a bit silly, no? It's not like Dwyane personally came to your house and kicked your dog.

Maybe he did. You don't know.

That said, c'mon. It's pro sports. Let's not get all butt hurt because a key player in what's become a pretty heated (no pun intended) rivalry gets booed on the other team's home court.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2012, 01:10:56 PM »
I'm a Bulls fan who has lived in Chicago all my life except for my time at MU. I love the Bulls and Wade.  Let's be honest... a bunch of fans at the game may boo him, but honestly the majority of the fans could care less.  They hate Lebron just like the rest of the country, but I hear and read the sports in the town everyday, and nobody is talking about Wade.  They're more concerned about why old man Hamilton can't seem to get of the bench, and who they can trick into taking Boozer's contract.
For whatever reason I don't think it's a city that cares a TON about hometown kids. I like to play up that Rose is from Chicago in the intros, but I don't think he'd be any less lauded here if he wasn't. 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2012, 01:17:42 PM »
Rose is from Chicago in the intros, but I don't think he'd be any less lauded here if he wasn't. 

Last night I saw a kid wearing a replica of Rose's Simeon uniform.  It was kinda cool.

Apparently Rose was #45 in HS.
Have some patience, FFS.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2012, 01:18:44 PM »
I'm a Bulls fan who has lived in Chicago all my life except for my time at MU. I love the Bulls and Wade.  Let's be honest... a bunch of fans at the game may boo him, but honestly the majority of the fans could care less.  They hate Lebron just like the rest of the country, but I hear and read the sports in the town everyday, and nobody is talking about Wade.  They're more concerned about why old man Hamilton can't seem to get of the bench, and who they can trick into taking Boozer's contract.
For whatever reason I don't think it's a city that cares a TON about hometown kids. I like to play up that Rose is from Chicago in the intros, but I don't think he'd be any less lauded here if he wasn't. 

This. 

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2012, 01:19:52 PM »
Maybe he did. You don't know.

That said, c'mon. It's pro sports. Let's not get all butt hurt because a key player in what's become a pretty heated (no pun intended) rivalry gets booed on the other team's home court.

I don't care if he is booed or hated. It's a good rivalry. I understand the dynamic. That's sports. I get it. I don't expect opposing fans to like him.

I just reject the idea that Chicago fans are somehow justifying their dislike with the idea that Dwyane screwed them. He didn't. He chose to play in Miami. That was his prerogative. He earned his free agency, he picked his team.

You can boo him. You can dislike him. You can hate him. You don't even need a reason.

Just make up a reason like: "Well, I hate him because he screwed the Bulls"

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2012, 10:08:36 AM »
How could Chicagoans not love one of their own who is also one of the classiest guys in the NBA?
As a lifelong Red Sox fan, if my son played for the Yankees I would boo him.  Fan loyalty doesn;t have to be rational.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2012, 10:36:02 AM »
As a lifelong Red Sox fan, if my son played for the Yankees I would boo him.  Fan loyalty doesn;t have to be rational.

I just lol'd.  You're a big man to admit that :)

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2012, 12:48:40 PM »
+1000.

You guys are soft. Seriously.

Are you from wisconsin?  I'm so sick of you weak little hypocrites.  Like you wouldn't boo someone who you thought spurred your team and plays for your arch-rival.  WTF is wrong with that?
He and lebron both had a chance to come to chicago, neither did, they beat the bulls last year, now they get boo'ed.  What are fans supposed to do?  Golf clap for him every time he touches the ball?

You're just another guy who shows off his inferiority complex at every opportunity.  Seriously.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2012, 12:52:36 PM »
Are you from wisconsin?  I'm so sick of you weak little hypocrites.  Like you wouldn't boo someone who you thought spurred your team and plays for your arch-rival.  WTF is wrong with that?
He and lebron both had a chance to come to chicago, neither did, they beat the bulls last year, now they get boo'ed.  What are fans supposed to do?  Golf clap for him every time he touches the ball?

You're just another guy who shows off his inferiority complex at every opportunity.  Seriously.

This.

JoBo2756

• Team Captain
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2012, 01:08:22 PM »
Thread started about how awesome Butler is doing on Wednesday night, now its about how Wisconsin people are hypocrites and Chicago fans are delusional... with the occasional sneer thrown in from the East Coast... haha I love the insanity and irrationality of some of these threads!

Wish someone had software to map out how off-topic they get. That would be cool.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2012, 01:18:41 PM »

I am from Wisconsin and I would boo the hell out of Brett Favre if I was at a game where the Packers played the Vikings.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2012, 01:21:09 PM »
The sense of entitlement coming out of some of the Bulls fans in this thread is amazing.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2012, 01:24:53 PM »
I don't get how booing the best player on your rivals team makes Chicago fans entitled?

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2012, 01:29:09 PM »
I don't get how booing the best player on your rivals team makes Chicago fans entitled?

Booing him because he made the decision to go play for another team.  Some Chicago fans felt entitled to having Wade come home to play.  He didn't do anything except for make a decision that he thought was right for himself and his family+friends and Chicago "fans" boo him.  It's really sad.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2012, 01:37:49 PM »
How do you know that's why they are booing him?

What if they just boo good players on other teams like all fan bases?

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2012, 02:10:14 PM »
Skat:
He killed us in the playoffs several times.  He's one of the biggest obstacles to a title contending home team.  He plays for a team that is considered 'the villains' in most cities across the country. He's constantly grimacing (as mu fans we know that is because of what he does to himself, but we can't count on that from others).  He gets tons of calls. 

You would have a hard time convincing me that the biggest reason he's being booed is because: Two years ago he was a free agent and didn't sign with us. 

-------------
I would be very interested to know what percentage of bulls fans know he's from Chicago.  I'd believe anything from 25-85%

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2012, 02:23:21 PM »
If they're really just booing him because he's a good player that happens to be playing for the Heat instead of because he turned down Chicago's advances, then I rescind everything I've said so far in this thread :)

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2012, 02:30:16 PM »

I'm not from Wisconsin. Other than that, bravo. Great rant.

#1 I think Chicago fans should feel free to boo Dwyane all they want. He plays for a rival. Let it rip.

#2 I think anybody who got their feelings hurt because he chose Miami is stupid.

#3 Not every person from (insert city) is obsessed with playing for (insert team). Fans think in those terms. Players don't.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2012, 02:34:40 PM »
How do you know that's why they are booing him?

What if they just boo good players on other teams like all fan bases?

Did LBJ received significant booing prior to "the decision?"  I don't recall that being the case.