collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: more money for the law school  (Read 7672 times)

tower912

• All American
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

🏀

• All American
Re: more money for the law school
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 02:21:43 PM »
The engineering building could really use some of that funding.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 02:29:23 PM »
so could the law building... they didnt raise enough to cover it.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 02:32:28 PM »
MU should hit up those rich shysters.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 02:42:38 PM »
MU should hit up those rich shysters.

c'mon Doc, pony up some dough.  I heard your neighborhood in the quon is loaded with people like you, Scott Skiles and I4.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 03:27:30 PM »
so could the law building... they didnt raise enough to cover it.

The Engineering Building is only going to be built halfway. At least the Law building is completed.

Marquette really needs to quit handing Opus every single project for construction.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 03:35:16 PM »
c'mon Doc, pony up some dough.  I heard your neighborhood in the quon is loaded with people like you, Scott Skiles and I4.

You heard right.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 07:20:19 PM »
Marquette really needs to quit handing Opus every single project for construction.

Why is that?  The Law School is gorgeous and Opus has done quite a bit for the Engineering program at MU and the students.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 08:19:07 PM »
Why is that?  The Law School is gorgeous and Opus has done quite a bit for the Engineering program at MU and the students.

Competition.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 07:23:44 AM »
Are there going to be two engineering buildings right next to each other? Looking at what they're putting up now doesn't look like there's a real natural side that they will just attach another building to.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010, 07:40:03 AM »
Opus gives MU some pretty good discounts.  They have cost out their projects with others before and Opus generally gives them pretty good deals.

APieperFan3

• Team Captain
  • We Are Marquette
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2010, 08:01:45 AM »

Stupid question...Who's I4? and why?

My Guess: Crean - "It's Indiana, It's Indiana" ( Four I's)??
The "average fan" is an idiot.

chren21

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010, 08:06:08 AM »
Opus gives MU some pretty good discounts.  They have cost out their projects with others before and Opus generally gives them pretty good deals.

So someone at opus donates a ton?  I would say that McShane should get a couple jobs wouldn't you?  (I have never worked for McShane and have no relation to him or his company)  I mean he did give a couple million to start the construction management program...

w0bbie

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2010, 08:13:59 AM »
Are there going to be two engineering buildings right next to each other? Looking at what they're putting up now doesn't look like there's a real natural side that they will just attach another building to.

Yes, I believe the plan is to have two stand alone buildings (maybe linked with a bridge?).  The building being constructed now is going to replace, consolidate, and expand the DLC (Discovery Learning Center) and other lab space that are currently in Haggerty.  I think the second building will be primarily classrooms.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2010, 08:35:33 AM »

Marquette does do a cost comparison, but could you imagine if we had 20+ bidders on a project like the residence hall just let in Whitewater got? Yeah, someone would be lower than Opus. However, that is Marquette's choice.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2010, 08:36:52 AM »
So someone at opus donates a ton?  I would say that McShane should get a couple jobs wouldn't you?  (I have never worked for McShane and have no relation to him or his company)  I mean he did give a couple million to start the construction management program...

McShane is focused around southern Chicagoland. They would have no business being in Milwaukee.

chren21

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2010, 08:49:30 AM »
McShane is focused around southern Chicagoland. They would have no business being in Milwaukee.

Please thats like saying Bovis or Skanska should not build in a big city that they have never been to before.  They have built in MANY other areas/states across the US besides "southern chicagoland".  Any medium to large contractor that has built in Chicago could build in Milwaukee with their eyes closed.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2010, 10:38:50 AM »
Stupid question...Who's I4? and why?

My Guess: Crean - "It's Indiana, It's Indiana" ( Four I's)??

smart guess...

🏀

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2010, 10:55:31 AM »
Please thats like saying Bovis or Skanska should not build in a big city that they have never been to before.  They have built in MANY other areas/states across the US besides "southern chicagoland".  Any medium to large contractor that has built in Chicago could build in Milwaukee with their eyes closed.

They could build, but would they be competitive? Absolutely not.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2010, 10:57:54 AM »
Marquette does do a cost comparison, but could you imagine if we had 20+ bidders on a project like the residence hall just let in Whitewater got? Yeah, someone would be lower than Opus. However, that is Marquette's choice.

That's tough to know because State projects and MU projects aren't apples to oranges.  To be honest, the University has to jump through some hoops to make sure they meet conflict of interest standards with the IRS so I wouldn't doubt they do competitive bidding...and Opus meets the low bid.

chren21

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2010, 10:58:32 AM »
They could build, but would they be competitive? Absolutely not.

Again I disagree completely.  Especailly with the current state of the subcontractor community.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2010, 11:03:29 AM »
Again I disagree completely.  Especailly with the current state of the subcontractor community.

How do you justify the $5,000 cost to mobilize a single piece of equipment from Chicago to Milwaukee?

How do you tell your union employees that they will be taking a 42% paycut and less benefits to go work in Milwaukee?

If you're correct, why hasn't Southern Wisconsin been flooded with Chicago contractors? Walsh doesn't count.

chren21

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2010, 11:27:59 AM »
How do you justify the $5,000 cost to mobilize a single piece of equipment from Chicago to Milwaukee?

How do you tell your union employees that they will be taking a 42% paycut and less benefits to go work in Milwaukee?

If you're correct, why hasn't Southern Wisconsin been flooded with Chicago contractors? Walsh doesn't count.

Who said anything about moving men or equipment to Milwaukee from Chicago?  Are you saying Milwaukee subs won't work for McShane?  Especially when the connection between McShane and mu is explained

🏀

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2010, 11:31:50 AM »
Who said anything about moving men or equipment to Milwaukee from Chicago?  Are you saying Milwaukee subs won't work for McShane?  Especially when the connection between McShane and mu is explained

So what trades will McShane be performing in-house? Nothing? Then there's no point in even doing the work.

chren21

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2010, 11:46:18 AM »
So what trades will McShane be performing in-house? Nothing? Then there's no point in even doing the work.

Then I guess 80% of the GC's and CM's in the world should just go out of business?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2010, 11:59:11 AM »
Then I guess 80% of the GC's and CM's in the world should just go out of business?

You're really saying 80% don't do any trades?

I know 100% perform some trades.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2010, 12:47:02 PM »
The new engineering building will not be connected to the old one.  In fact the old engineering building most likely won't even be an engineering building anymore.

w0bbie

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2010, 01:02:21 PM »
The new engineering building will not be connected to the old one.  In fact the old engineering building most likely won't even be an engineering building anymore.

Correct.  There are going to be 2 new engineering buildings (the 1 currently under construction and the second that will be built once more funds have been raised).  These buildings are across 16th St. from the current Haggerty/Olin complex.  Once the current building is complete, lab equipment and some faculty offices will be transferred there.  My professors think it could take a year to move and implement everything.  Haggerty will be used for Engineering lectures until the second new building is completed.  At that point, I've heard that the Theology and Philosophy departments are hoping to move into the old building.

chren21

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2010, 01:26:33 PM »
You're really saying 80% don't do any trades?

I know 100% perform some trades.

I guess if you consider providing a superintendent, a project manager and maybe a couple laborers with brooms a "trade" then 100% is correct otherwise I'm not sure what GC's or CM pool you are referencing.  Anyway I think McShane could be competitive and am just wondering if there is that big of a difference in the amount donated between opus and McShane.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 01:41:43 PM by chren21 »

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2010, 05:26:17 PM »
http://www.jsonline.com/business/111996304.html
The thread was hijacked to other points, but I dont see any mention of any construction/building-- $2 million for a Public Policy Center only will  be enough to sustain/endow a professorship, a director, pay for staff/seminars, computers, etc. but it would seem likely required to occupy current space.
Our Texas schools dont announce building without about $20 million involved (I dont know why univ. building is so expensive-- it just seems typical now.)
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.