collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Ron Santo dead at 70  (Read 7138 times)

Moonboots

• Starter
Re: Ron Santo dead at 70
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2010, 12:43:17 PM »
As a Brewer fan, was never a fan of his broadcasting for obvious reasons, but there's no denying the emotion he brought to the booth and what he meant to Cubs nation. Most organizations would be so lucky to have a figure like him.

As a lifelong Cubs hater, I have no problem saying baseball lost a great member of its family today. My condolences to the Cubs fans on this board.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2010, 12:46:57 PM »
I wish I could have the audio from the Brant Brown incident as my ringer.

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/chicago-baseball-stories/2010/09/brant-brown.html

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2010, 01:56:43 PM »
According to the JDRF website, Santo's work led to more than $60 million in donations.  I would say a good chunk of those doctors and nurses wouldn't have a job without Santo's work.

Santo's work on behalf of JDRF is honorable, admirable, great, etc. I mean that sincerely. However, to say that MDs, RNs, LPNs and the like would be out of work were it not for Mr. Santo's work is simply misguided. One great thing about working in healthcare in the US is that there are more jobs than there are practitioners to fill them.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2010, 04:19:26 PM »
Lin Brehmer played A Dying Cub Fan's Last Request this morning on WXRT.  While it was autobiographical, it could have been written about Ron Santo.

HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2010, 04:58:17 PM »
Timing... Do you really think it's appropriate to make that comment on the day he passed?  What would you say if on the day that Al passed some fan from another team came here and said he was the worst coach ever.  He's entitled to his opinion but the timing and place  are not appropriate.  Didn't your parents raise you people better?

I can't share my opinion that he was the worst broadcaster ever on a Marquette basketball message board? 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2010, 05:02:09 PM »
An original and inspiration for generations.  Finally made the HOF--the big one!

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2010, 05:04:51 PM »

I can't share my opinion that he was the worst broadcaster ever on a Marquette basketball message board? 

+1...and he retired as a member of the White Sox....exactly like Alan Page retiring as a Chicago Bear.

timinatorx3

• Starter
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2010, 11:11:23 PM »
For me, what makes this especially tough is not losing a popular (albeit polarizing) broadcaster or a great former player, but the fact that Ron embodied the experience of a Cubs fan. Always having optimism despite the fact that nothing really ever seems to happen the way you hope or expect it to. He personified the thoughts and emotions of all Cubs fans. I kind of thought if there was any such thing as cosmic justice, Ron would have gotten to see the Cubs win it all, which is what he lived for. Again, it didn't happen.

Thank you for the memories #10.  

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
SS Marquette

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2010, 08:40:12 PM »
June 29, 2007 - Aramis Ramirez hits a walk-off home run to beat the Brewers (attached).

Santo doesn't do anything but scream like a banshee.  It's awesome.

<3 Aramis Ramirez, even if nobody says his name right ^_^

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2010, 09:00:28 PM »
Santo's work on behalf of JDRF is honorable, admirable, great, etc. I mean that sincerely. However, to say that MDs, RNs, LPNs and the like would be out of work were it not for Mr. Santo's work is simply misguided. One great thing about working in healthcare in the US is that there are more jobs than there are practitioners to fill them.

I googled JDRF to be sure I was correct that it was a research foundation..... So are some MDs, RNs (and PAs/NPs!!) working in T1DM research?  Sure they are, but don't overlook those of us "working in the trenches"! Although I admit treating T1DMers is a bit rare for me personally....

Frankly, T2DM is a much more prevalent and worse public health issue... but T1 is no good either.  Do keep in mind it's more insurance companies & medicare/medicaid that are paying my salary vs research foundations, though. :)

Too bad those jobs mostly manifest themselves in the dusty corners of the country/state!! 

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2010, 09:57:08 PM »

I googled JDRF to be sure I was correct that it was a research foundation..... So are some MDs, RNs (and PAs/NPs!!) working in T1DM research?  Sure they are, but don't overlook those of us "working in the trenches"! Although I admit treating T1DMers is a bit rare for me personally....

Frankly, T2DM is a much more prevalent and worse public health issue... but T1 is no good either.  Do keep in mind it's more insurance companies & medicare/medicaid that are paying my salary vs research foundations, though. :)

Too bad those jobs mostly manifest themselves in the dusty corners of the country/state!! 

No disrespect intended to PAs, NPs, PhDs, Lab assistants, etc. My post was in response to a previous post that listed doctors and nurses explicitly.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2010, 09:16:50 AM »
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.