[Today at 09:15:16 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2024 Transfer Portal  (Read 163472 times)

mugrad_89

• All American
Re: 2024 Transfer Portal
« Reply #1600 on: April 24, 2024, 12:05:03 PM »
I want everyone to take a moment and reflect on our neighbors to the west who are taking a valiant stand against the new era of college basketball and continuing to do things the right way

Gard continues to get it done the right way.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1601 on: April 24, 2024, 12:09:51 PM »
Gard continues to get it done the right way.

Admire them for not playing the game and paying for play.  When the brought in AJ Storr last year, he came their for an education and to become a more well-rounded player.  He didn’t take a dime from what I was told.  Sadly, everyone tampered with him.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #1602 on: April 24, 2024, 12:32:58 PM »
Admire them for not playing the game and paying for play.  When the brought in AJ Storr last year, he came their for an education and to become a more well-rounded player.  He didn’t take a dime from what I was told.  Sadly, everyone tampered with him.

I think the quality of the Madison education was too good because it taught AJ the value of the free market system.  Gard was just an unwitting pawn.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1603 on: April 24, 2024, 12:36:40 PM »
I think the quality of the Madison education was too good because it taught AJ the value of the free market system.  Gard was just an unwitting pawn.

Sad!

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #1604 on: April 24, 2024, 12:42:01 PM »
I want everyone to take a moment and reflect on our neighbors to the west who are taking a valiant stand against the new era of college basketball and continuing to do things the right way

May they be the beacon of integrity that restores the glory of amateur athletics!

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #1605 on: April 24, 2024, 01:32:23 PM »

Stop it!

I'm losing control of my fragile emotions.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1606 on: April 24, 2024, 01:48:49 PM »
I'll be honest, I'm not sure anyone has managed the transfer portal era worse than Gard. Realized they had a gap when Davis left, but the replacement (Klesmit) didn't have the athleticism or dynamism to be that alpha that lifted them back to the tournament. They started losing players (Carlson, Jordan Davis) so he brought in Storr to be that next level athlete, but in the process created a locker room rift with Essegian.

Now they have a fractured locker room and are preaching "doing it the right way" so they can't bring guys in, but their own actions are driving players out and because of their style they simply aren't appealing. They likely need to either change their style and NIL tactics to bring in enough talent to compete, or need to drive back toward the slow-down style, prioritize high school recruiting, and reward those that stay while generally staying away from the portal. Or, I suppose, get rid of Gard and move into the 21st century. But the last one seems pretty unlikely.

Though considering Wisconsin has been down and out before only to show up as an annoying top-20 team that beats us in early December, it's too soon to write them off. But man, their fans are frustrated with Gard and the portal.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1607 on: April 24, 2024, 01:55:36 PM »
I don't think Gard being let go is that out of the question. Between the obvious frustrations you outline, an athletic director with a completely different approach, and the decline of the Platteville Posse group of boosters, I'm not sure Gard survives a bad year.

As you say, he was doing things the way they were always done, tried to be different by recruiting transfers, only to have everything blow up in his face.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1608 on: April 24, 2024, 02:06:02 PM »
I'll be honest, I'm not sure anyone has managed the transfer portal era worse than Gard. Realized they had a gap when Davis left, but the replacement (Klesmit) didn't have the athleticism or dynamism to be that alpha that lifted them back to the tournament. They started losing players (Carlson, Jordan Davis) so he brought in Storr to be that next level athlete, but in the process created a locker room rift with Essegian.

Now they have a fractured locker room and are preaching "doing it the right way" so they can't bring guys in, but their own actions are driving players out and because of their style they simply aren't appealing. They likely need to either change their style and NIL tactics to bring in enough talent to compete, or need to drive back toward the slow-down style, prioritize high school recruiting, and reward those that stay while generally staying away from the portal. Or, I suppose, get rid of Gard and move into the 21st century. But the last one seems pretty unlikely.

Though considering Wisconsin has been down and out before only to show up as an annoying top-20 team that beats us in early December, it's too soon to write them off. But man, their fans are frustrated with Gard and the portal.

Brew-

Madison simply doesn’t have the money to compete with the big boys of college basketball.  They just have their dignity, honesty and pursuit of academic excellence to give to kids who play for the love of the game and the name on the front of the jersey

MUbiz

• Team Captain
« Reply #1609 on: April 24, 2024, 02:23:05 PM »

The "lets recruit tall white guys from Minnesota" will pay off eventually, right Rico? :)

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #1610 on: April 24, 2024, 02:27:07 PM »

Tape recorders being smuggled into team meetings didn't do much for locker room unity, either, on top of everything else you cite.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1611 on: April 24, 2024, 02:50:16 PM »
The "lets recruit tall white guys from Minnesota" will pay off eventually, right Rico? :)

Those kids get it

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #1612 on: April 24, 2024, 04:13:58 PM »

Exactly the scenario Shaka is trying to avoid….much to the disappointment and disapproval of many a scooper.

MUbiz

• Team Captain
« Reply #1613 on: April 24, 2024, 04:19:58 PM »
Exactly the scenario Shaka is trying to avoid….much to the disappointment and disapproval of many a scooper.

I have said it before and I will say it again, I prefer the quiet MU off seasons.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1614 on: April 24, 2024, 04:23:43 PM »
There will be unexpected departures one year.   That is when I expect Shaka to get busy in the portal.   I am rooting for quality 3 man recruiting classes going forward.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1615 on: April 24, 2024, 04:24:05 PM »
Tape recorders being smuggled into team meetings didn't do much for locker room unity, either, on top of everything else you cite.

I forgot about that one!  Thx dtd!

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1616 on: April 24, 2024, 04:32:44 PM »
Dave Skogman to DePaul.  Big East is going to be a gauntlet

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1617 on: April 24, 2024, 04:34:32 PM »
Madison simply doesn’t have the money to compete with the big boys of college basketball.  They just have their dignity, honesty and pursuit of academic excellence to give to kids who play for the love of the game and the name on the front of the jersey

Yes, it's a pity those freckle-faced lads - gym rats who play the right way - aren't rewarded with a national title every year.

I don't think Gard being let go is that out of the question. Between the obvious frustrations you outline, an athletic director with a completely different approach, and the decline of the Platteville Posse group of boosters, I'm not sure Gard survives a bad year.

Since going to back-to-back Sweet 16s with Bo's recruits, here are Gard's results:

2017-18: Losing record; missed NCAAT
2018-19: Lost in R2 of B39 tourn; lost in R1 of NCAAT as 5-seed
2019-20: Covid canceled B39 and NCAA tourneys
2020-21: Lost in R2 of B39T; crushed in R2 of NCAAT
2021-22: Lost in R1 of B39T; lost in R2 of NCAAT as 3-seed
2022-23: Lost R1 of B39T; missed NCAAT
2023-24: Lost in title game of B39T; lost in R1 of NCAAT as 5-seed

So in 7 years, that's 2 missed NCAATs and a 2-4 NCAAT record (with 3 NCAAT losses to lower seeds). I agree that Gard could be on shaky ground. His AD didn't hesitate to fire the football coach.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 06:35:28 PM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1618 on: April 24, 2024, 06:20:25 PM »
2023-24: Lost in title game of B39T; lost in R1 of NCAAT as 3-seed

Ahem,  5 seed, lets not give them anymore credit than due

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1619 on: April 24, 2024, 06:35:45 PM »
2023-24: Lost in title game of B39T; lost in R1 of NCAAT as 3-seed

Ahem,  5 seed, lets not give them anymore credit than due

Thanks for the correction. Management regrets the error.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #1620 on: April 24, 2024, 06:39:18 PM »
I have said it before and I will say it again, I prefer the quiet MU off seasons.

I saw a stat on X - Marquette is one of only 7 schools that had no players enter the portal.

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #1621 on: April 24, 2024, 06:39:42 PM »

They play the game the right way.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1622 on: April 24, 2024, 06:41:46 PM »
I saw a stat on X - Marquette is one of only 7 schools that had no players enter the portal.
To the chagrin of a subset of scoopers who are jealous of the uncertainty.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #1623 on: April 24, 2024, 06:42:48 PM »
Yes, it's a pity those freckle-faced lads - gym rats who play the right way - aren't rewarded with a national title every year.

Since going to back-to-back Sweet 16s with Bo's recruits, here are Gard's results:

So in 7 years, that's 2 missed NCAATs and a 2-4 NCAAT record (with 3 NCAAT losses to lower seeds). I agree that Gard could be on shaky ground. His AD didn't hesitate to fire the football coach.
you omitted the most important stat…Gard vs Shaka.  Big brother is fine. Gard does know ball.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1624 on: April 24, 2024, 07:23:40 PM »

I repeat, he is the Bagders Hank Raymonds.

I am hoping they skip the Majerus years and go straight to the Dukiet Era.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.