'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 16, 2024, 06:05:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Home and Home with Maryland  (Read 2811 times)

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
Re: Home and Home with Maryland
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2024, 06:19:02 AM »
Its mind boggling how we lost to the less talented and poorly coached rodents. It stings to even ponder why.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2024, 07:01:20 AM »
It is good that MU will be playing a real team from the Baltimore/DC metroplex.

Sorry, DFW, couldn't resist.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2024, 10:05:31 AM »
It is good that MU will be playing a real team from the Baltimore/DC metroplex.

Baltimore has as much in common with DC as Madison has with Milwaukee.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2024, 10:38:02 AM »
I pondered it and have concluded that there is not enough data to make a real conclusion.

I lean toward coincidence, though.

I agree, I think the sample size is too small to draw any conclusions. Shaka's career win percentage is something like .670 over more than 500 games. I believe over the longer term, his win percentage against B10 opponents will normalize somewhat better than .500.

If one of the things we're most concerned about our program is our record against non-conference opponents while winning at a + .700 clip, I'll take it.

Bottom line is we all need to stop wasting time and get locked in to figure out why Shaka's record is so bad in secret scrimmages.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

MUbiz

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2024, 10:42:05 AM »
Those secret scrimmages sure have become a pesky issue, haven't they?

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2024, 10:46:49 AM »
I agree, I think the sample size is too small to draw any conclusions. Shaka's career win percentage is something like .670 over more than 500 games. I believe over the longer term, his win percentage against B10 opponents will normalize somewhat better than .500.

If one of the things we're most concerned about our program is our record against non-conference opponents while winning at a + .700 clip, I'll take it.

Bottom line is we all need to stop wasting time and get locked in to figure out why Shaka's record is so bad in secret scrimmages.

Hey! We absolutely pasted Loyola a couple years ago and also beat Mizzou by a double digits per rumors.

Focus needs to be not making last year a trend. Can’t start bombing scrimmages. Personally I think Shaka saw the Juwan collapse coming and cooled on Michigan prep not taking them serious.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MUbiz

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2024, 11:06:47 AM »
Hey! We absolutely pasted Loyola a couple years ago and also beat Mizzou by a double digits per rumors.

Focus needs to be not making last year a trend. Can’t start bombing scrimmages. Personally I think Shaka saw the Juwan collapse coming and cooled on Michigan prep not taking them serious.

Juwan has won 2 in a row against Madison. I think its safe to say Juwan owns Gard and Smart.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2024, 12:17:28 PM »
I don't think a sample of 20 games across three schools is that small as you probably average 2 non con games against the same power conference a year that equates to a ten year sample of non con matches. I agree there's flaws as I stated before I'm unsure how many of the other conference matchups he was actually favored in.

In the grand scheme of things it's not a huge deal when we only play WI once a year but if that trend persists of losing over 70% of B1G matches I'd personally vote for maybe choosing the other power conferences or major programs for home and homes
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2024, 12:21:02 PM »
Yes, let's try to compete at the highest levels of the sport but duck the Big Ten.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2024, 12:49:58 PM »
Yes, let's try to compete at the highest levels of the sport but duck the Big Ten.

Plus, the Big Ten is going to add 4-6 more schools shortly
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2024, 01:26:26 PM »
Send this to the new AD, he needs to see this.  We must avoid scheduling:

Big Ten - Shaka has a losing record against them except for Illinois, he beat them twice
SEC - Shaka has a winning record against them but if he loses twice it'll become a losing record and then we'll never be able to beat them
Big XII - Shaka couldn't compete in that conference when it wasn't even as good as it is now
ACC - The NC State loss looms too large, Notre Dame won't even play us anymore
PAC 12 - Doesn't exist
UConn - The gap is simply too large, growing
St Thomas - Still haven't recovered
UWM - Play it safe and continue to dodge the loss
Secret Scrimmages - A single loss will cost 2-3 seed lines minimum
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2024, 01:34:29 PM »

Big Ten - Shaka has a losing record against them except for Illinois, he beat them twice
SEC - Shaka has a winning record against them but if he loses twice it'll become a losing record and then we'll never be able to beat them
Big XII - Shaka couldn't compete in that conference when it wasn't even as good as it is now
PAC 12 - Doesn't exist

Perfect.  No notes.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2024, 01:41:16 PM »

PAC 12 - Doesn't exist

UWM in a secret scrimmage?

• All American
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2024, 01:42:01 PM »

PAC 12 - Doesn't exist

Then we can complain about the schedule.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2024, 01:45:42 PM »

PAC 12 - Doesn't exist

Reductio ad absurdum isnt a good look. I've not said anything about anything other than the B1G.

Do you know how many top boxers through history have gotten to the top by playing to their strengths? Canelo isn't avoiding fighting Benavidez because of poor TV potential compared to Mungia. It's because you can be great while being aware of mismatches or shortcomings on your own end.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2024, 02:16:15 PM »
I don't know anything about boxing.  But you can tell me which fighters would be a mismatch for us and I'll put them on the list.

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2024, 02:26:07 PM »
Reductio ad absurdum isnt a good look. I've not said anything about anything other than the B1G.

Do you know how many top boxers through history have gotten to the top by playing to their strengths? Canelo isn't avoiding fighting Benavidez because of poor TV potential compared to Mungia. It's because you can be great while being aware of mismatches or shortcomings on your own end.

Calling his obvious exaggerations not "a good look," but then comparing it to boxing is...something.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM »
Maybe Shaka can ask Underwood if he’s willing to do a best-of-7 series every November. What with Illinois being the only Big18 team Shaka can beat.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson