'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Branden Dawson to MSU  (Read 8241 times)

MUfan12

• All American
Branden Dawson to MSU
« on: August 04, 2010, 04:43:34 PM »
But, but, I thought this was a dirty recruitment, and MSU backed off...  ::)

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
Branden Dawson to MSU
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 04:45:13 PM »
http://www.therecruitscoop.com/branden-dawson-commits-to-michigan-state

In other news: the Chicago Sun-Times reported today that Anthony Davis will commit to UK...at the school's cost of $200,000. No reliable sources for the writer - just good old shock journalism.

http://gary-parrish.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6271764/23651916?source=rss_blogs_NCAAB

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
Re: Branden Dawson to MSU
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 04:48:02 PM »
oops. looks like someone posted same thing about 90 seconds before me.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 04:50:08 PM »
Dawson would have looked good in blue and gold, but at least Buzz is out there trying.

Kentucky is insane.  Gilchrist, Teague and now Davis.  That is a major "reload".  Wow.

OhioGoldenEagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 04:50:25 PM »
I was never optimistic regarding Dawson to Marquette.....so oh well

willie warrior

• All American
Re: Dawson to MSU
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 04:52:00 PM »
Question: Does anybody know if we have ever gone up against MSU for a top recruit and beat them for that recruit?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 04:52:09 PM »
Damn it!  While elite programs do get Top 20 talent all of the time..such as MSU...I believe the Marquette roster at this time actually has more talent on it at Brandon's position...than does MSU.  I say that speaking of Jamil Jones/Jamil Wilson.  Hopefully Buzz can get us some other good options.  Many seemed to feel we stood a very good chance with Dawson...
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 04:52:29 PM »
Izzo must have outbid Buzz for Dawson's services.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 04:53:46 PM »
When Buzz took Jamil Wilson, it became pretty obvious that Dawson's interest in MU plummeted.  

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 05:00:31 PM »
Are you saying that Dawson had lost interest and then we took Wilson? Or the other way around as in we took Wilson and then Dawson lost interest? Just trying to clarify.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 05:11:14 PM »
After we took Wilson, there were a couple of articles where Dawson was quoted, MU wasnt mentioned as a possibility.  At the same time, we were one of his "Top 6" after last week's AAU Nationals. So who knows. The tone of some of the articles right after Wilson's transfer made me feel that he lost interest.

Additionally, he was quoted in an article just now that he knew he wanted to go to MSU in late June.

duanewade

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 05:59:21 PM »
Well glad Crean or Purdue didn't get him and can't argue with Izzo's track record on coaching.  I got a feeling we'll get Nick Faust instead and as others pointed out we have Jamil Wilson for three years so it wasn't a total need recruit.  Of course if we got Dawson then Tokoto would have been a harder get yet as too much talent can lead to missing out on other talented recruits sometimes and it's probably better to space them out some. 

Get Faust this year and then Tokoto next which will be another dagger in the Badgers heart. 

In Buzz we trust. 

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 06:18:56 PM »
Izzo must have outbid Buzz for Dawson's services.

From what I hear from a Scout.com writer that may not be so far from the truth

MedicineHatSpanker

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 07:16:53 PM »
Question: Does anybody know if we have ever gone up against MSU for a top recruit and beat them for that recruit?

Tanned Tommy lost out to Izzo on several in the early years of his Iron Fisted Regime

PJDunn

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 07:29:53 PM »
Blame this one on Wade. 

If he doesn't recruit LeBron to Miami then Izzo takes the Cavs job.  Then it is just Buzz versus a couple of crap Indiana programs.  If that were the case then Dawson would definitely be sporting blue and gold today.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2010, 08:00:04 PM »

Back in the day, Jim Chones chose MU over the Spartans among others. Also, Jim "Cloudpiercer" Dudley transferred from MSU to the Warriors and became a valuble "white" role player on the '77 NCAA Championship team.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2010, 08:03:22 PM »
Damn it!  While elite programs do get Top 20 talent all of the time..such as MSU...

Seriously?

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2010, 09:24:55 PM »
From what I hear from a Scout.com writer that may not be so far from the truth

I, too, heard that this recruitment involved cash from the start.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2010, 09:36:15 PM »

Seriously?

Yes, seriously...if you want to split hairs and dissect my usage of "all of the time," be my guest.  Does MSU have a better track record of attracting top talent, than does Marquette?  Yes.  Is MSU considered an elite program?  Yes.  Has MSU been to more Final Fours than any other program in the last decade?  Yes.  Please go ahead and clarify your point.  Seriously.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2010, 06:59:41 AM »
Yes, seriously...if you want to split hairs and dissect my usage of "all of the time," be my guest.  Does MSU have a better track record of attracting top talent, than does Marquette?  Yes.  Is MSU considered an elite program?  Yes.  Has MSU been to more Final Fours than any other program in the last decade?  Yes.  Please go ahead and clarify your point.  Seriously.

You asked why all the top programs get all the talent.  Here's why:

1. They win more
2. They are on television a lot
3. Their coaching is very good
4. They have a history of putting talent in the NBA

My "seriously" question was asked because the answers seem very obvious.  If I were a top player, and I wanted to stay in the midwest, MSU would certainly be a strong option.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2010, 08:31:16 AM »
I know it is common knowledge for you hard core guys, but can we sticky a no-reply recruitment page where one of the mods keeps track of all the recruits we are looking at and their rank. Nothing official but it seems like every month we have a guy like me starting a thread asking who we are still going after.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2010, 08:42:27 AM »
Maybe the biggest reason to pick MSU is their history of getting to final four. I would think that would be a major draw to a recruit. Ther are no guarantees, but it is much easier to sell the fact that you have been to the final four 7 times as a coach versus buzz saying MU (not Buzz) has made the final four in 2003. Who would not want to play in a final four?

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2010, 08:59:13 AM »

You asked why all the top programs get all the talent.  Here's why:

1. They win more
2. They are on television a lot
3. Their coaching is very good
4. They have a history of putting talent in the NBA

My "seriously" question was asked because the answers seem very obvious.  If I were a top player, and I wanted to stay in the midwest, MSU would certainly be a strong option.

I didn't ask "why" top programs get top talent...I made a declaritvite statement that said:  While elite programs do get top 20 talent all of the time, such as MSU - I actually think that at this time, Marquette has more elite talent at Dawson's position than does MSU - with us having both Jamil Wilson and Jamail Jones....I know you like to find reasons to rip what I post - but come on Sultan...check your critical enthusiasm for ripping me..by at least getting the argument right up front.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2010, 10:33:19 AM »
Ooops....

I admit I did misread your post and I apologize for that.

However, please know that I don't look for reasons to rip anyone here.  I have nothing against anyone on MUScoop.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2010, 11:35:01 AM »
Ooops....

I admit I did misread your post and I apologize for that.

However, please know that I don't look for reasons to rip anyone here.  I have nothing against anyone on MUScoop.

Good enough...and I don't mind if you challenge or criticize/rip me or some of my posts - as it probably just stems from a difference of point of view on a consistent basis.  I don't take this stuff personally...but if someone is going to trash talk..they've got to be on target with their point..and in this case, you weren't.

Back to the point...I do feel that landing Jamil Wilson probably didn't help MU's chances in getting Dawson..as it created a bigger logjam at that 2/3 position Dawson would play.  Still MSU is MSU and shouldn't surprise us when they win in a recruiting battle against us...hopefully this will change in the next few years..if Buzz can get us to a Final Four or two..and elevate our stature..

APieperFan3

• Team Captain
  • We Are Marquette
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2010, 01:58:02 PM »

While, I don't have an answer for this...I'd like to maybe ask a similar question.

Did Crean ever "steal away" any recruits from Izzo during his time at MU? (or vice versa)....Since then, has Crean "stolen" any of Izzo's recruit's since he's been at "it's Indiana"? (or vice versa)
The "average fan" is an idiot.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2010, 02:11:35 PM »
Are you kidding? Izzo's been taking candy from a baby. Crean couldn't even keep Korie Lucious from bolting.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2010, 03:22:32 PM »
- I actually think that at this time, Marquette has more elite talent at Dawson's position than does MSU -

Just to clarify, does your statement mean you consider Jones and Wilson more talented than Dawson?

Or are you talking about MSU before they landed Dawson?

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2010, 04:30:27 PM »
Just to clarify, does your statement mean you consider Jones and Wilson more talented than Dawson?

Or are you talking about MSU before they landed Dawson?

I was referring to MSU before they landed Dawson..I feel Dawson would have had more competition at MU, than at MSU..trying to get PT with Wilson, Jones, Crowder, and Williams all in the mix at his position.

Not sure that I'd say Jones is more talented than Dawson..but do think Jamil Wilson has serious upside talent, and comparable to Dawson.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 04:33:55 PM by Ners »

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2010, 08:04:51 PM »

Well... we did get Jim Dudley who Al nicknamed "the cloud piercer" to transfer to MU from MSU.

Modification: Damn, 4ever is older than the hills, and I'm still five days behind him! 
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 08:13:03 PM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

feedback