Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Post game thoughts  (Read 21029 times)

MUBasketball

• All American
Re: Post game thoughts
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2015, 09:20:48 PM »
Mike couldn't stop interrupting the play-by-play guy. It was rare when he let him completely finish a sentence.
Well, since he sits so close to Homer at games I can see where he learned it from!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2015, 09:26:33 PM »

What credibility?  He's not a professional announcer.  He is providing commentary to a Marquette audience on a Youtube channel.

It's my personal preference/opinion.  By the 5th or 6th time he complained about a call against Marquette or a missed call for Marquette despite bad calls or missed calls going both ways it became less credible to me.  Just my personal preference.  Doesn't mean everyone has to agree, and clearly they don't.  That's fine.  I personally didn't care for it.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 09:29:34 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

chapman

• All American
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2015, 09:42:21 PM »
It's my personal preference/opinion.  By the 5th or 6th time he complained about a call against Marquette or a missed call for Marquette despite bad calls or missed calls going both ways it became less credible to me.  Just my personal preference.  Doesn't mean everyone has to agree, and clearly they don't.  That's fine.  I personally didn't care for it.

Homer and Mac actually do this all the time.  It gets old quickly.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2015, 11:59:32 PM »

Agreed.  And I thought Broeker was even worse than those 2 are at it, as those 2 at least sometimes point out when a missed call that benefits MU.  Again, just my own personal preference.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

seakm4

• Team Captain
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2015, 12:18:32 AM »
Can I change the topic to "post game basketball thoughts" or is it too late for that?

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2015, 01:55:26 AM »
Well one call I did not agree with was the blocked shot they called a goal tend by Duane Wilson early in the game. He hit that shot off the backboard he did not take it off the backboard or get it on the way down...I watched that one.

But I was not privily to be there in game speed...so I will let that go. But good hustle to recover quickly after getting beat somewhat on the backdoor cut. 

Traci Carter I saw for the first time. I like the kid already. I swear when he hit the jumper at the top of the key at 29:40 or so and the way he gets up into his man and the way he seems to compete and move around...all I could see was KEMBA WALKER.

If he can be a Kemba Walker type player here as he was for UConn and Calhoun then we got something. He and Duane play well together. It is going to be a treat  watching him grow.

When he gets into the season and starts to feel his way through it, some games he might will this team to wins...if he has any leadership skills that all of those former PG's can instill in him he has the toughness and drive and East Coast moxie for it...Look out.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2015, 02:11:08 AM »
Good entry passing....by TC! Luke with the sweet post move and hook shot here....

Entry passes:
Several times I saw the guards get the right angles to execute the entry pass which to me as a fan is a lost art in basketball with our young players all around basketball.

I know for a fact they are not taught that in AAU...they are too busy running up and down the court playing a style the young players prefer rather then a structured offense if they have a Big.

This is a key skill to have with the 'bigs' MU has that can score in the low post if the ball is delivered right and they have the mismatch which will be often.

Which also brings me to Luke Fischer with the nice right hand jump hook on the baseline at 30:55 it was...on the feed from Traci.

Luke had the guy on his hip, waited for the guy doubling down to move up backed his man down with a few dribbles fake one way went the other and  spun back and threw up a sweet hook.

Once the threat to hit open shots is established by the guards the big men are going to get plenty to eat down low. The team has the make of some good high/low action this year.

Somebody [Coach Chris Carrawell?] is working with the 'bigs' well. I have seen many good moves in the post by Henry and Luke...as the late Bernie Mac says, "that's nice, real nice.." lol

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2015, 02:30:18 AM »
Uh oh....here comes the highlights.

I knocked over my drink here after Traci storms up court and then lobs a perfect alley loop pass to Henry who went up and caught it and threw it down....

You know what? Henry gets up off his feet quick man! Wow. Him and his brother can get up.

Now I have see big men jump before, but he has some explosion. You want him to get bigger but then again, maybe you don't. Just stronger. He is light on his feet which will play well when he runs the floor and gets up and down with these PG's.

Then. . . on the last trip down Traci Carter comes back after allowing his man in the paint on one trip that made a big come over to help and get whistled for a foul to cover him, unfazed TCarter comes back after picking up a foul and fearlessly breaks the ankles of a Haukar defender and then puts up a sweet looking 3pt [they called it a 2pt shot] shot that ripped throw the net!!!

Ice Ice baby! Ice water lol.

I have not seen that in an MU PG since Dominic James left. Duane in some spurts showed us this but it is good to see...

Now that was a Kemba Walker move there...or maybe a Traci Carter one. Its one game, and one quarter, but good so far.

20-18 Haukar over MU after 1st qtr. Can't wait to see more...

Strong showing by Eagles here I think.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2015, 02:49:51 AM »
Kemba Walker comparisons already? What's the drink of choice tonight? I like Traci a lot but Kemba comparisons are a bit of a stretch at this point.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2015, 04:25:22 AM »
Henry Ellenson in the open floor though....wow.

I think one game he might even get 10 assists in a game from the Center position.

For a team that has not played with each other in a game before they look good.

That dynamic they have of being able to allow Henry to bring it up and his unselfishness to find others, make the right pass, and for almost anyone to be able to knock down the jumper is going to up alot of things up for the G.Eagles offensively.

That is the most encouraging thing I took from this game besides no one getting injured on the wet floor, is the leadership and play of Wilson and Carter on both ends.

The low post potential of Fischer.
The skill set of Henry Ellenson and the open court threat to his game.
The versatility and the aggressiveness of JJ and Cohen and Sacar.

Negatives:

Hit them free throws.

Overall Grade B- 

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2015, 09:10:46 AM »

First pro tip: turn the volume down.

Second pro tip: you're misguided to look for credibility, of any facet, in a Marquette foreign tour game.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2015, 09:37:28 AM »

Second pro tip: you're misguided to look for credibility, of any facet, in a Marquette foreign tour game.

...from a guy who isn't really trained to do this sort of work.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2015, 09:42:25 AM »
I could barely hear Broeker.  Someone needs to turn up the Mike or he needs to speak into it.  I've never wished I had an equalizer on my computer until this game.  I would have loved to be able to turn up his channel to I could hear him without cranking up the volume.

Anyway, maybe some of you on twitter can tweat our about turning up his volume if it is low during the next game...?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2015, 09:47:39 AM »

...from a guy who isn't really trained to do this sort of work.

...how else to state this?

Not sure where I ever said I expected or was looking for Broeker to be perfect at this or to have credibility.  I said, and still say, I prefer (not demand, not expect, but prefer) someone point out the calls that benefit my team if he's going to make sure he's pointing out every possible call that went against my team.  It's just my preference.  Is that okay?

Like I said, I thought Broeker was knowledgeable, interesting, and informative.  Why would I want to turn down the volume?  I just PREFER that he wouldn't be so one sided.  Nowhere did I say this made him awful.  Nowhere did I say I couldn't listen to him.  I just said he was so blatantly one sided that he was even influencing the guy he worked with.  I prefer some objectivity.  Just a preference.

But thank you, I will keep in mind your pro tips.  Very valuable bits of information that I will hang onto dearly.

Sharpie

• Team Captain
« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2015, 09:53:17 AM »
I'm not gonna be to tough on Broeker.  I think this was his 1st time.   Kent Sommerfeld has to fill in somewhat regularly and is pretty bad.

Exactly. Mike is our deputy AD. I don't understand the harsh criticism. Who cares. We are lucky to even see the games live and have some to call the game as it is.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2015, 10:57:10 AM »
I thought Mike was fine. He talked over Thomas when the guy was flipping out and saying nothing of relevance. No problem there.

The audio split (left for Mike, right for Thomas) was broken. And I could hear Mike breathing a bit heavy at times.

I thought Broeker was quite good.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2015, 11:03:18 AM »
...how else to state this?

Not sure where I ever said I expected or was looking for Broeker to be perfect at this or to have credibility.  I said, and still say, I prefer (not demand, not expect, but prefer) someone point out the calls that benefit my team if he's going to make sure he's pointing out every possible call that went against my team.  It's just my preference.  Is that okay?

Like I said, I thought Broeker was knowledgeable, interesting, and informative.  Why would I want to turn down the volume?  I just PREFER that he wouldn't be so one sided.  Nowhere did I say this made him awful.  Nowhere did I say I couldn't listen to him.  I just said he was so blatantly one sided that he was even influencing the guy he worked with.  I prefer some objectivity.  Just a preference.

But thank you, I will keep in mind your pro tips.  Very valuable bits of information that I will hang onto dearly.

Third pro tip: life is going very well if Broeker's words on a YouTube feed from a glorified scrimmage have caused this much angst in your preferences.
Crack a cold one, drop the flops, stare at the sun, deep breath. Then, repeat. Often.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2015, 11:05:54 AM »
Third pro tip: life is going very well if Broeker's words on a YouTube feed from a glorified scrimmage have caused this much angst in your preferences.
Crack a cold one, drop the flops, stare at the sun, deep breath. Then, repeat. Often.

Broeker's words on a YouTube feed from a glofiried scrimmage caused absolutely no angst whatsoever.  Don't understand why there are so many questions about a pretty simple personal preference here.

But my life is going very well.  I don't drink, so I'll leave out the cracking a cold one and staring at the sun as well.  I do like to breathe deeply, though.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #68 on: August 14, 2015, 11:35:01 AM »
Good entry passing....by TC! Luke with the sweet post move and hook shot here....

Entry passes:
Several times I saw the guards get the right angles to execute the entry pass which to me as a fan is a lost art in basketball with our young players all around basketball.

I know for a fact they are not taught that in AAU...they are too busy running up and down the court playing a style the young players prefer rather then a structured offense if they have a Big.

This is a key skill to have with the 'bigs' MU has that can score in the low post if the ball is delivered right and they have the mismatch which will be often.

Which also brings me to Luke Fischer with the nice right hand jump hook on the baseline at 30:55 it was...on the feed from Traci.

Luke had the guy on his hip, waited for the guy doubling down to move up backed his man down with a few dribbles fake one way went the other and  spun back and threw up a sweet hook.

Once the threat to hit open shots is established by the guards the big men are going to get plenty to eat down low. The team has the make of some good high/low action this year.

Somebody [Coach Chris Carrawell?] is working with the 'bigs' well. I have seen many good moves in the post by Henry and Luke...as the late Bernie Mac says, "that's nice, real nice.." lol

How long has it been that we have been aching for big men. Now we have three.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2015, 11:49:02 AM »
How long has it been that we have been aching for big men.

ZFB has been aching FROM big men.

It is pretty wild to see Henry and Luke out there together, in MU jerseys.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2015, 11:55:12 AM »
Yea, ok, but what did wades think of the announcing?
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #71 on: August 14, 2015, 12:17:34 PM »
Yea, ok, but what did wades think of the announcing?

I thought he was insightful and interesting but was too much of a homer when it came to commenting on the refs/calls.

Anybody else?

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #72 on: August 14, 2015, 12:27:12 PM »
I thought he was insightful and interesting but was too much of a homer when it came to commenting on the refs/calls.

Anybody else?

nope. I would put this in the category of who gives a sh##.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2015, 12:28:19 PM »
nope. I would put this in the category of who gives a sh##.

Agreed.  Didn't think my simple personal preference would be so carefully dissected.  It was meant to be one post on what I personally thought he could've improved on.  Oh well.

Sharpie

• Team Captain
« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2015, 12:35:59 PM »
Agreed.  Didn't think my simple personal preference would be so carefully dissected.  It was meant to be one post on what I personally thought he could've improved on.  Oh well.

My personal preference would be that people don't dissect performances of our deputy ad's announcing job when he was providing a favor to the live feed/mu fans when that's not his normal gig as we all know but that's neither here nor there.